Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Ghost of Bobby Smallwood


  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

NUP_196234_01508.jpg
NUP_196234_01626.jpg

I was watching the show and I was thinking the side characters were not that annoying this episode, they were kind of funny. Then I realized that I was only about half way through the episode and their story lines just kept going and going and I wanted to pull my hair out. The only good thing in the second half was Max, Sahar and the Ghost of Bobby Smallwood. 

  • Applause 1
Link to comment

Hey, we finally moved a block down First Avenue! There was a shot from High Street looking up towards Gatacre. That's a new angle. We also had a good angle up First Ave past the clinic and as an added bonus, when Asta left the 59 bar to go over to the clinic she crossed the street in the correct direction for how those buildings are oriented (as in they actually are across the street from each other). The aerial shot doesn't even try to match up with how the actual town is laid out though and it bugs me every time I see it.

  • Useful 1
Link to comment

I like Alan Tudyk, he is really great as Harry. I love Corey Reynolds as the Sheriff and Elizabeth Bowen as the Deputy.  I love Asta too. 

The sheriff at the mayor: stop clapping your bony porcelain hands.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 4
Link to comment

I don't enjoy seeing the Sheriff ignoring the Deputy. I like their relationship when they're bonding, and I don't enjoy the whole "kicked puppy/sad sack" dynamic so many shows seem to think is funny.

Edited by possibilities
fix typo
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Will Resident Alien be about the darn resident alien ever again?
I fast forwarded most of the episode.
Did Alan Tudyk asked for more money this season so they cut his lines and gave them to the most indifferent side characters?


 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Now that the Mayor and his wife have resolved their relationship,  can we never see them again. 

The plot of this show right now is about an alien baby and other aliens who want to destroy the planet, how about focusing on that?

  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
Link to comment
15 hours ago, edhopper said:

Now that the Mayor and his wife have resolved their relationship,  can we never see them again. 

The plot of this show right now is about an alien baby and other aliens who want to destroy the planet, how about focusing on that?

I couldn't agree more.

  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I love Alan Tyduk, and that's the only reason I've been watching, but this was just too much.  Sorry, Alan, your show is off my DVR list.

It was so boring, and wasted so much time on every character but Harry.  I don't care about the mayor, his wife, Darcy, Darcy's lover, Judy, "Judy's Judy" etc.  I don't even care about Asta the Great Explainer at this point.  Spending, what, less than 3 minutes on the kids/baby SL was ridiculous.  

I'm really sorry, I had such hopes and enjoyed the first season, but I have better things to do with my time.

  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Oh wow I didn't watch the 2 new episodes yet but the responses are quite disheartening. They really must have messed up the show big time. 

I dunno what epiphany the showrunner(s) had and decided to take the focus from the main character.
The whole idea was the Alien adjusting on earth, not the stories of uninteresting characters that they were supposed to be secondary at best. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

I dunno what epiphany the showrunner(s) had and decided to take the focus from the main character.
The whole idea was the Alien adjusting on earth, not the stories of uninteresting characters that they were supposed to be secondary at best. 
 

I thought about that and all I could come up with is that now that the initial premise of the show is done; alien on earth getting used to earth with a bit of a mystery.

Now they have a problem in that the now that the premise is over, it looks like they are trying to fix it by having so many different stories and the hope is that some will stick and they can build from them. But by trying to get more stories going they are minimizing the best characters; Harry, Asta and the kids and expanding on other secondary characters.

It would be like taking JR off of Dallas. Harry is the star and the show suffers when he is not on it and this show doesn't have Patrick Duffy to help.

  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The Showrunners think the entire cast is super talented and they want to equally showcase their talents. They allow them to come up with ideas and plots for their characters and allow them to improvise their lines. I think about half of what they come up with is funny, but people think the show is starting to meander and the main plot is moving way to slowly. I think 50 percent for the main plot with 50 percent for the rest of the nutjobs would work out fine.

  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Showrunners think the entire cast is super talented and they want to equally showcase their talents. They allow them to come up with ideas and plots for their characters and allow them to improvise their lines. I think about half of what they come up with is funny, but people think the show is starting to meander and the main plot is moving way to slowly. I think 50 percent for the main plot with 50 percent for the rest of the nutjobs would work out fine.

How do you know they allow them to improvise? Are you in the production?
And are they satisfied with the improvisations? And why on earth to do that when their lead and his story is so strong?
The show had an interesting original premise, an Alien trying to adjust and live with humans. It wasn't about the life in an American small town.  
But still I would have no problem with expanding the side characters, if they were remotely interesting and well written.
I am failing to see anything exciting or funny in Darcy's dates or Mayor's marital problems. 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

How do you know they allow them to improvise? Are you in the production?
And are they satisfied with the improvisations? And why on earth to do that when their lead and his story is so strong?

They do a ton of behind the scene videos that mention the improv and the showrunner thinks the entire cast is just as strong and funny as the lead character and wants to give them an opportunity to shine. They are so happy when they talk about the direction their characters are going in. I will add the one where they talk about this episode, since it would be on topic, I have only watched 30 seconds of it so somebody can tell me if they say something that contradicts what I said earlier.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I agree with everyone - too much of everyone except Harry. Just no.

And now I have to add Sahar to my annoying list - when did she become so mean to her "friend"?  Sahar is a bully to Max and talks to him almost as rudely as Harry does.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree with everyone - too much of everyone except Harry. Just no.

And now I have to add Sahar to my annoying list - when did she become so mean to her "friend"?  Sahar is a bully to Max and talks to him almost as rudely as Harry does.

I thought Sahar was in "Pet Training Mode" and was a little frustrated with how "bad" Baby Alien was. And now she has to deal with Max as well, who is always a little "much". 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They do a ton of behind the scene videos that mention the improv and the showrunner thinks the entire cast is just as strong and funny as the lead character and wants to give them an opportunity to shine. They are so happy when they talk about the direction their characters are going in. I will add the one where they talk about this episode, since it would be on topic, I have only watched 30 seconds of it so somebody can tell me if they say something that contradicts what I said earlier.

Oh,  I can't watch the videos, not available in my country.
But I can understand why the cast is happy when the showrunner gives them so much time and freedom. Good to know they have great time shooting the series. I wish I also had good time watching this season.. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought Sahar was in "Pet Training Mode" and was a little frustrated with how "bad" Baby Alien was. And now she has to deal with Max as well, who is always a little "much". 

I get that with the alien, but she is basically always making fun of Max and insinuating how dumb he is. Max was the first to discover Harry was an alien and he was pretty good at giving as good as he got when arguing with Harry before he was even working with Sahar, so I don't think he's stupid, yet Sahar acts like he's completely brainless. In some weird way, Max's relationship with Sahar mimics his dad's relationship with his mom - she is the boss of him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

And now I have to add Sahar to my annoying list - when did she become so mean to her "friend"?  Sahar is a bully to Max and talks to him almost as rudely as Harry does.

I  know.  I don't like it either.  It isn't 'girl power'.  If the roles were reversed there'd be complaints galore.  

I've said it on the premier episode thread and I'll say it again - I hope ATs delivery of his AlienHarry lines gets toned down.  I'm close to not watching anymore because of the goofy, choppy inflection in his voice.  His voiceovers sound normal, but his regular dialogue is too robotic.  He's been around humans long enough (and watched enough Law & Order) to speak normally.  I'm surprised no one in Patience doesn't think this is weird

  • Like 3
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 8/23/2022 at 1:35 PM, ctlady said:

I've said it on the premier episode thread and I'll say it again - I hope ATs delivery of his AlienHarry lines gets toned down.  I'm close to not watching anymore because of the goofy, choppy inflection in his voice.  His voiceovers sound normal, but his regular dialogue is too robotic.  He's been around humans long enough (and watched enough Law & Order) to speak normally.  I'm surprised no one in Patience doesn't think this is weird

Yes! You would think so, wouldn't you? Harry's choppy, sing-songy "accent" is starting to remind me of Mathesar from Galaxy Quest. At times, it almost seems like it's becoming even more pronounced.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, AnimeMania said:

I thought Sahar was in "Pet Training Mode" and was a little frustrated with how "bad" Baby Alien was.

I've liked Sahar up til now, but was really turned off when seeing how she was treating the baby alien. Whether it's a baby alien or a pet, it's wrong to treat them meanly.

Link to comment

I love the show but I agree that Harry sounds weirder now than he used to. I also thought sagar spritzing poor baby for eating watermelon was cruel. Why have a tray of watermelon out if he can’t eat? She’s lucky he doesn’t eat her. I’m in the minority but I have truly enjoyed the side character arcs and have not been bored at all. 

Link to comment

A magically growing boy, because he stole a body.  
I liked the mayor and his wife, on the phone.  That was sweet.

Link to comment
On 3/29/2024 at 6:38 PM, lucindabelle said:

I love the show but I agree that Harry sounds weirder now than he used to. I also thought sagar spritzing poor baby for eating watermelon was cruel. Why have a tray of watermelon out if he can’t eat? She’s lucky he doesn’t eat her. I’m in the minority but I have truly enjoyed the side character arcs and have not been bored at all. 

I thought she was mean not letting him have the waternmelon, Then, he must have been really vicious out of the box.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...