Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Waterworks

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Why not just go with the more sensical version that when it came time to write the guy's actual backstory the writers didn't wind up basing his entire alternate persona on the hope it might bring in a few more clients based on the stereotype? 

I agree, the "pipe-hitting member of the tribe" thing didn't make much sense in the first place.  So yeah, maybe the writers dropped it because it was stupid.  Or maybe they got a note from some exec saying "Drop the pipe-hitting member of the tribe thing.  It's stupid."    

2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Why would we need a second scene of Spooge or Emilio giving us the same information we already got from Saul himself? Accepting what we see on BCS doesn't require that Saul be lying about his clients' biases. We don't see enough of the clients to hear about them from them. 

For the sake of continuity.  For the same reason we saw Jimmy wake up next to a girt who thought he was Kevin Costner, and why Jimmy had to show paperwork for the dissolution of this two previous marriages.   Here we don't have continuity.  If people don't like calling this a contradiction or a retcon, then maybe we can all agree that it is a discontinuity.  I would like to know why it happened.  Since G&G haven't explained the reason for the change, anything is possible.

And that's my larger point.  This was a not-insignificant change in the backstory of the titular character.  And even though this discussion has been going on for several pages, not one person has chimed in to say they remember hearing G&G talk about why that change was made.  Silence speaks volumes, so I've heard.  

2 hours ago, Starchild said:

lol Peter, buddy, let us help you. You're gonna have to find a way to live with this :)

Yeah.  I gotta say, I am positively flummoxed about how much pushback I get on my opinions on this topic.  It started with the previous episode when I evinced skepticism about Daniel Wormald being Laser Tag Danny.  

• Mind Blown 1
14 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

For the sake of continuity.  For the same reason we saw Jimmy wake up next to a girt who thought he was Kevin Costner, and why Jimmy had to show paperwork for the dissolution of this two previous marriages.   Here we don't have continuity.  If people don't like calling this a contradiction or a retcon, then maybe we can all agree that it is a discontinuity.  I would like to know why it happened.  Since G&G haven't explained the reason for the change, anything is possible.

Why would you need that for continuity? Jimmy has the same clients he had in Breaking Bad. 

And that's my larger point.  This was a not-insignificant change in the backstory of the titular character.  And even though this discussion has been going on for several pages, not one person has chimed in to say they remember hearing G&G talk about why that change was made.  Silence speaks volumes, so I've heard.  

Because they're saying it's not enough of a change for them to have talked about. They haven't talked about Jimmy's not having a stepfather either, and that's even more of a change if you take what he says there as the truth since Jimmy has less of a reason to say anything at all about having one, while he does have a reason to say something to Walt about why the name on the door isn't the one he was born with. Characters giving a reason for why they did something/something happened that the audience sees as false happens all the time without it being a retcon. It's more realistic.

Yeah.  I gotta say, I am positively flummoxed about how much pushback I get on my opinions on this topic.  It started with the previous episode when I evinced skepticism about Daniel Wormald being Laser Tag Danny.  

As far as I'm concerned, they're not the same person since it didn't make it to the screen. It's Schroedinger's laser tag Danny.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I agree, the "pipe-hitting member of the tribe" thing didn't make much sense in the first place.  So yeah, maybe the writers dropped it because it was stupid.  Or maybe they got a note from some exec saying "Drop the pipe-hitting member of the tribe thing.  It's stupid."    

I never at the time and still do not know what "pipe-hitting" means, and the first few google results don't help me.  I get the tribe, just not the pipe-hitting.  I am in need of enlightenment.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Why would you need that for continuity? Jimmy has the same clients he had in Breaking Bad.  

I wouldn't say that I need to see anything in particular.  In the end I am responding to what has been shown, which is a discontinuity.  

They haven't talked about Jimmy's not having a stepfather either, 

They have not provided any information in BCS to preclude Saul having a stepfather.  His father died young, so they could have written in such a character, and had him be the recipient of the Chicago sunroof to boot, with no problems whatsoever.  

Characters giving a reason for why they did something/something happened that the audience sees as false happens all the time without it being a retcon. It's more realistic.

Then that should have happened in BB, not years later in another show.  

2 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I never at the time and still do not know what "pipe-hitting" means, and the first few google results don't help me.  I get the tribe, just not the pipe-hitting.  I am in need of enlightenment.

My guess is Saul was mixing ethnic stereotypes.  "Tribe" can refer to Jews, or it can refer to Native Americans, whose ancestors were known to smoke peace pipes.  That line was wrong on so many levels.  

22 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

It simply means a hard hitting, strong, a fighter, a bulldog, a take no shit attorney (or any other profession that someone requires a "badass" type personality.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I wouldn't say that I need to see anything in particular.  In the end I am responding to what has been shown, which is a discontinuity.  

But that's why people are disagreeing with it, because it's not discontinuity at all for someone to say something about their motivations to a character and later when we get the whole story it turns out the pat explanation they gave wasn't really the truth. 

They have not provided any information in BCS to preclude Saul having a stepfather.  His father died young, so they could have written in such a character, and had him be the recipient of the Chicago sunroof to boot, with no problems whatsoever.  

Sure they did. Saul tells Walt he caught his stepfather screwing his second wife. He tells Marco there was "a guy named Chet" who had two children and "may or may not" have been screwing his second wife OR owed him money. If Saul's line to Walt about using the name because his clients like Jewish lawyers is a story set in stone that there wouldn't be any similar contradiction with a stepfather becoming a guy with two other kids. Not to mention Chuck and Jimmy never ever talking about their mother remarrying when they're going over their childhoods. Chuck, in particular, seems like he'd have something to say about someone betraying his mother that way.

In fact, Saul even tells the story to Walt as an example of how Saul himself doesn't overreact to getting cheated on--yet we later learn he did worse than Walt in that situation. It's a pretty direct contradiction.

Then that should have happened in BB, not years later in another show.  

It happening on the show that's about the character in question is more appropriate. That's how it usually works. 

My guess is Saul was mixing ethnic stereotypes.  "Tribe" can refer to Jews, or it can refer to Native Americans, whose ancestors were known to smoke peace pipes.  That line was wrong on so many levels.  

Huh?

Edited by sistermagpie
  • LOL 1
26 minutes ago, SimplexFish said:

It simply means a hard hitting, strong, a fighter, a bulldog, a take no shit attorney (or any other profession that someone requires a "badass" type personality.  

Yeah, that makes sense.  I forgot about Pulp Fiction.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Yeah.  I gotta say, I am positively flummoxed about how much pushback I get on my opinions on this topic. 

We push because we love. 

But seriously, I find a lot of these kind of minutia discussion is what these message boards are built for. 

• Love 6

So,  saying Jews are better lawyers is anti-Semitic  because  most Americans claim to hate lawyers who are viewed as dishonest,  greedy and engaging in excessive legalism which are stereotypes often attributed to Jews? Actually,   into the 1970s the major law firms would not hire Jews and often Jewish lawyers would have to accept clients the prestigious  law firms would not accept-Saul's clients. About 20% of US lawyers are Jewish, while Jewish make up .2% of US population.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

1 hour ago, SimplexFish said:

Thanks, those are the definitions that came up when I searched. Still, the former seems like a non sequitur because I don't get the connection between Native American tribes smoking together and Jewish lawyers, and the latter must be a regional thing I have never heard. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SimplexFish said:

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  I forgot about Pulp Fiction.  

Urban Dictionary says that Marcellus was using pipe-hitting to describe the crack-heads en route that would finish off

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Urban Dictionary says that Marcellus was using pipe-hitting to describe the crack-heads en route that would finish off

Yeah that what Saul mean... LOL

Edited by SimplexFish
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

But that's why people are disagreeing with it, because it's not discontinuity at all for someone to say something about their motivations to a character and later when we get the whole story it turns out the pat explanation they gave wasn't really the truth. 

Well, if I may ask, what word would you use?  Change?  Difference?  Alteration?  

1 minute ago, PeterPirate said:

Well, if I may ask, what word would you use?  Change?  Difference?  Alteration?  

If I called it anything I'd probably just say it was the real story/the full story? Further information that changes the way that line comes across? 

But I don't actually have a problem with calling it a change or a difference or an alteration, I have a problem with the way you seemed to be using those words to mean that it doesn't work on a Watsonian level.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But I don't actually have a problem with calling it a change or a difference or an alteration,

Terrific.  Let's go with "change".  

8 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I have a problem with the way you seemed to be using those words to mean that it doesn't work on a Watsonian level.

If by that you mean I am an irritating stickler, I would agree with you.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Then tack on 410.  Another "S'all good, man" reference, and one related directly to his practice of law. 

This is part of the same scene in 501. It's not new information.

410: Jimmy is walking with Kim after the bar reinstatement hearing. When he gets the good news from some official, he tells her he needs to file a DBA form because he won't be practicing law under James McGill. Kim expresses surprise, and Jimmy says '"Small good, man" to her as he walks away with the official. Then the episode and season ends.

501: The opening scene before the credits is the Gene scene where OG Jeff confronted Gene in the mall

501: In the first scene after the credits, we see Kim outside a room, looking through a window in a door, watching Jimmy fill out paperwork. When he walks out of the room, Kim asks why he'll be practicing law as Saul Goodman, and he gives the cell phone explanation.

So once again we're back to two explanations. One that Jimmy gave Kim in April 2004 and one he gave Walt over 6 and a half years later. And I don't see any contradiction for the reasons I've already stated.

I'm surprised that people think Jimmy's differing motives for doing business as ("dba") is what's unrealistic, not the dba itself. There's no legitimate or ethical reason for practicing law under a pseudonym. Especially after you've had your law license suspended for falsifying another lawyer's documents.

Here's one Arizona lawyer's take on it. He's not licensed in New Mexico, but he says the he 2 states have the same rule. His conclusion is that the New Mexico Bar would not permit James McGill to practice law under the name Saul Goodman unless he legally changed his name to Saul Goodman, which Jimmy never did.

https://www.bhandlaw.com/better-call-saul-not-so-fast-according-to-ethical-rules/

Edited by Constantinople
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

So once again we're back to two explanations. One that Jimmy gave Jim in April 2004 and one he gave Walt over 6 and a half years later. And I don't see any contradiction for the reasons I've already stated.  

Well, we have seemingly put to bed the question about whether the two explanations were contradictory, and can at least agree that a change was made.  

Which leads to the questions of whether there is an in-show explanation for the change, whether we viewers can fashion our own explanation for the change, and why the change was made at all.  And each person pretty much gets to come up with their own answers, or ignore them as so much gallimaufry.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

I'm surprised that people think Jimmy's differing motives for doing business as ("dba") is what's unrealistic, not the dba itself. There's no legitimate or ethical reason for practicing law under a pseudonym. Especially after you've had your law license suspended for falsifying another lawyer's documents.

Here's one Arizona lawyer's take on it. He's not licensed in New Mexico, but he says the he 2 states have the same rule. His conclusion is that the New Mexico Bar would not permit James McGill to practice law under the name Saul Goodman unless he legally changed his name to Saul Goodman, which Jimmy never did.

https://www.bhandlaw.com/better-call-saul-not-so-fast-according-to-ethical-rules/

Yes, Saul Goodman doesn't have a bar number, and therefore shouldn't be able to represent clients.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Dev F said:

"Saul Goodman" sounds pretty similar to "Mark Goodson," whose name would've been announced loudly at the end of half the game shows his clients would be watching in their retirement communities.

...on which "Jesse Pinkman" lost the Showcase Showdown in 2000. 

Aaron Paul.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Once his suspension was over and he had the successful reinstatement hearing, he's essentially cleared of what he did.  Some reinstatements include restrictions or the need for supervision for a time, but apparently not the case here. His bar membership may be as James M. McGill dba Saul Goodman.  Or it just may be James M. McGill, and that is how he signs court filings and other documents.  Saul Goodman is the name of his business, same as HHM was. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm going to first acknowledge that this discussion about the Jimmy to Saul route has veered pretty far off anything in this episode even as I now contribute to it.

Am I the only one who remembers waaay back in the very first episode of the show that it was Chuck who suggested Jimmy practice under another name? At the time he pinned it on Howard not wanting the confusion between the M in HHM and another McGill practicing law. Now to be fair, Chuck pitched something like Vanguard Law and not another persona entirely but as with so many things with Jimmy, Chuck planted the initial seed.

Beyond that, I really don't care that Saul told a different story than what really happened to a guy he probably though at the time he'd never see again after he wrapped up Badger's case.  He doesn't owe "Mr. Mayhew" anything at that point beyond the service he's paying for. As we've seen over these six seasons, Jimmy has a whole luggage set of issues about who he really is and his ties to the McGill name as Chuck's brother. He's a guy who spins stories anyway and he can spin this one however he wants at that one particular moment in time. 

That in the final end after Howard's death we're told HHM also changed its name to practice as a smaller different version of itself that also omits the M entirely brings the value of what you call yourself in this universe full circle.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes, Saul Goodman doesn't have a bar number, and therefore shouldn't be able to represent clients.

Recently on a rewatch, Jimmy is shown at the clerk’s desk doing a name change and it appears he signs the form as Jimmy Saul McGill Goodman. So, he changed his name to include all 4 names. So, technically, he was Saul Goodman and Jimmy McGill.  I’ll try to find the episode number to confirm.  ………checked again. In season 5, episode 1, he tells Kim he dud legally change his name standing outside the Bar office. And he responds to clerk that he has document confirming the name change and he signs his legal name with all for names on the form.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, PeterPirate said:

Being able to skip through commercials makes AMC+ worth the 9 dollars a month.  Especially if I want to watch the end of an episode to pick up some detail.  At the regular AMC site I would have to sit through 8, 10 ads.  

But yeah, I can't stand it that I can't watch the episodes from the first half of the season.  No way am I paying once this show disappears.  Those privileged elitists on the moon can starve for all I care.

Season 1-5 is on Netflix.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before S6 is as well.  I already pay for Netflix so I'm not adding another streaming for just one show, even if it is the best show on TV.  (I went old school and have everything from S6 on my DVR😉)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

Season 1-5 is on Netflix.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before S6 is as well.  I already pay for Netflix so I'm not adding another streaming for just one show, even if it is the best show on TV.  (I went old school and have everything from S6 on my DVR😉)

I have Netflix, but I’m trying to find season 6, episodes 1-7 and they aren’t on AMC for some reason.  Starts at episode 8.  

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have Netflix, but I’m trying to find season 6, episodes 1-7 and they aren’t on AMC for some reason.  Starts at episode 8.  

I’m paying for AMC + because I no longer have cable tv, and I’m pissed that they’re ripping me off by not allowing subscribers to access all of season 6 while it’s still airing. No special content, nothing  for being a subscriber.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m paying for AMC + because I no longer have cable tv, and I’m pissed that they’re ripping me off by not allowing subscribers to access all of season 6 while it’s still airing. No special content, nothing  for being a subscriber.

Right before the series finale and they withhold season 6, Part 1!  Hideous conduct. Or, it could be incompetence and they don’t even realize it’s not there.  Nobody knows ship anymore! Lol

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right before the series finale and they withhold season 6, Part 1!  Hideous conduct. Or, it could be incompetence and they don’t even realize it’s not there.  Nobody knows ship anymore! Lol

I think they know it’s not there. They shouldn’t be surprise when they lose subscribers.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I think they know it’s not there. They shouldn’t be surprise when they lose subscribers.

The episodes likely got sent to AMC Theatres by accident... and there are a lot of angry Top Gun customers....

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, paigow said:

The episodes likely got sent to AMC Theatres by accident... and there are a lot of angry Top Gun customers....

Those are the type of viewers who wouldn’t understand the complexities of BSC if they tried. They probably thought BB had some cool explosions and stuff, though! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

With all the discussion of S'all good, man --> Saul Goodman, it makes me sad that the title of the final episode is Saul Gone😥. I'm kind of dreading tomorrow night.  I don't want all this to be over.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

With all the discussion of S'all good, man --> Saul Goodman, it makes me sad that the title of the final episode is Saul Gone😥. I'm kind of dreading tomorrow night.  I don't want all this to be over.

Yeah….I’m still traumatized over the end of The Americans.  😆Well, actually, I liked the way it ended, I’m just sad it’s over.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I vividly recall Jimmy being obsessed with his professional marketing.  His attention to detail and his explanations as to why he was doing certain things a certain way were no joke.  IIRC, his first explanation of "Saul Goodman" was in that milieu.  He was always cheery and upbeat with clients who were pretty much doomed.  It is very easy for me to imagine him repeating the "S'll good, man." line a gazillion times - as he did with Kim to end a season with that deflection.  Not an insignificant placement.

Jimmy, er G&G, being brilliant often come up with takes that can be interpreted and/or apply in all manner of ways.  The semitic usage here absolutely fits, imo.  

Was there any reference of Gene returning to hang out with Marion while his scams with Jeffy were ongoing?  Or, was it a very surprising moment for her when he finally did show up again?  Same with the Cinnacops.  Did he just abandon them?  

If this was the first time he came to visit Marion in some time, he risked arousing suspicion with her - which it absolutely did given her reaction.  Gene had the very same problem at the mall.  Point being:  Had Gene decided he was outta there sometime soon?  That would allow him to be less careful.  His recklessness, in any event, will be costly.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It is very easy for me to imagine him repeating the "S'll good, man." line a gazillion times - as he did with Kim to end a season with that deflection. 

And yet, we're supposed to believe that Saul, upon meeting yet another rando, unimportant person, suddenly felt compelled to make up a completely different reason for using his DBA, because he's just that kind of a lying liar.  

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, PeterPirate said:

And yet, we're supposed to believe that Saul, upon meeting yet another rando, unimportant person, suddenly felt compelled to make up a completely different reason for using his DBA, because he's just that kind of a lying liar.  

We already know why he might be compelled to say that to the other rando. "You're Irish? I'm Irish too. My other clients who are not like you or me like Jewish lawyers, but we Irishmen know being Irish is great."

People who aren't that kind of lying liar do that all the time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

You’re not alone in this. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah….I’m still traumatized over the end of The Americans.  😆Well, actually, I liked the way it ended, I’m just sad it’s over.  

Same. Ditto for Mad Men.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

yeah, there are people who are constant liars, who lie as easily as taking a breath.  It's been said about a florida man who is currently in some legal trouble "he'd lie about what day of the week it was just for practice"

That's an acceptable way to look at things, in general.  

But 1) In every other instance where Saul described the origin of his name, he said consistently that it was "S'all good, man", and 2) There is no evidence that any of Saul's other expositions were untrue.  

42 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

We already know why he might be compelled to say that to the other rando. "You're Irish? I'm Irish too. My other clients who are not like you or me like Jewish lawyers, but we Irishmen know being Irish is great."

People who aren't that kind of lying liar do that all the time. 

Yes, that would be somewhat consistent with Jimmy playing the ethnic card on Kevin Wachtel.   

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven't gotten over ATWT or Knots Landing ending.

I just don't buy that Kim went from excitement over cons/excitement over helping the down trodden to this dreck that is her life now. Maybe for six months, less than a year, but not what I think is six years or so now?

• Love 1

I found Jimmy’s over exuberant argument about how criminal defendants would remember Saul Goodman, but not Jimmy McGill a little weak.  It didn’t make a lot of sense to me, but I guess that’s the story of how the show got its name, so I guess they’re sticking with it.  Lol

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I've known people like that. They get bored with the truth and just make up stuff to sound cool.

People are weird.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Was there any reference of Gene returning to hang out with Marion while his scams with Jeffy were ongoing?  Or, was it a very surprising moment for her when he finally did show up again?  Same with the Cinnacops.  Did he just abandon them?  

I don't think there's any evidence, but there is an implication to me at least, that when Marion said let's break out the schnapps that that's what they do when he comes over, so he must have been over a few times.

6 minutes ago, Lalo Lives said:

I've known people like that. They get bored with the truth and just make up stuff to sound cool.

I have a close relative like that, who has been lying for decades for reasons and for no reason at all, so that we can never take what they say at face value. They forget previous b.s. they've said.  Makes for uneasy relationships, sad way to live.

2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I don't either.  It's been so good, I will miss it, and talking about it. I got away from commenting about anything for a long time during the pandemic, but came back here relatively recently and have enjoyed you all.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Constantinople said:

They should've called the episode Mayo

That actually would have been very clever.

But, I read somewhere that Waterworks was WW for Walter White while Saul Gone was SG for Saul Goodman.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've been watching BCS all along as broadcast.  My wife has not, and got a bee in her bonnet a couple of weeks back and started from the beginning hoping to align with the end.  It bites that while we pay for AMC+, Prime and Netflix, when she finally hit S6 she found out she couldn't watch the first half of S6 anywhere without individually renting them and now her continuity is broken.

I switched to Duke's full time when we moved to a region where it was available.  I'm not a lemon fan, and Hellman's to me is both sweeter and has a faintly lemony taste.  Even the Duke's Light is good.

Edited by Totale
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

The read somewhere that the first 7 episodes of Season 6 are available via Netflix UK. If you have a Netflix account, you can access Netflix's UK library from the US, but this may not be legal. I haven't tried myself because I don't care that much.

• Like 1
  • Love 1