Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Waterworks

• Start Topic

On 8/13/2022 at 12:21 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

My Duke’s mayonnaise arrived today. I like it. We like it better than our usual Hellman’s.

We just got ours day before yesterday. I've only used it in ham sandwiches so far, but I can't tell any difference between it and Best Foods (Hellman's).

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah….I’m still traumatized over the end of The Americans.  😆Well, actually, I liked the way it ended, I’m just sad it’s over.  

The finale ep of The Americans is still on my DVR.  Great show and a well-done finale.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Totale said:

I've been watching BCS all along as broadcast.  My wife has not, and got a bee in her bonnet a couple of weeks back and started from the beginning hoping to align with the end.  It bites that while we pay for AMC+, Prime and Netflix, when she finally hit S6 she found out she couldn't watch the first half of S6 anywhere without individually renting them and now her continuity is broken.

I switched to Duke's full time when we moved to a region where it was available.  I'm not a lemon fan, and Hellman's to me is both sweeter and has a faintly lemony taste.  Even the Duke's Light is good.

It’s truly ridiculous and disrespectful to those who have subscribed to AMC to make most of the current season unavailable. I don’t understand that decision. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

It’s truly ridiculous and disrespectful to those who have subscribed to AMC to make most of the current season unavailable. I don’t understand that decision. 

It's probably not their decision. AMC doesn't produce Better Call Saul, it just licenses the broadcast rights from Sony Pictures Television. They probably only get the right to stream the episodes for a limited window after the initial broadcast, so that Sony can make more money renting the episodes to people who missed AMC's window.

Compare it to The Walking Dead, a show AMC produces itself. AMC has the entire current season of that one still available to stream on its website, even though its earliest episodes aired almost a year ago.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, Dev F said:

It's probably not their decision. AMC doesn't produce Better Call Saul, it just licenses the broadcast rights from Sony Pictures Television. They probably only get the right to stream the episodes for a limited window after the initial broadcast, so that Sony can make more money renting the episodes to people who missed AMC's window.

Compare it to The Walking Dead, a show AMC produces itself. AMC has the entire current season of that one still available to stream on its website, even though its earliest episodes aired almost a year ago.

I suppose taking the show off air is supposed to increase sales of disc sets.  I bought season 5 sometime in the last year.  I do enjoy listening to creative people talk about how a show gets made.  

• Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 7:46 AM, Bannon said:

It's a reference to the slip and fall scam, like he once pulled on the brothers who owned a store that Jimmy/Saul was trying to sell t.v. commercials. It's one of the standard scams in a country with a lot of personal injury lawsuits.

Well I found out why he went by "Slippin Jimmy"! This is a great compilation of Saul's scams and scheme through the series, some I didn't even remember.

It does also show the first time the Saul Goodman name is used and as Jimmy said, "It's just a name". LOL

Ya'll will love this video 

The Slippin Jimmy explanation is right at the beginning and the S'all Good Man near the end.

Edited by SimplexFish
  • Like 1
On 8/12/2022 at 1:02 AM, Simon Boccanegra said:

Both of their DOBs are visible in the episode "JMM," when they are presenting their information to get married. Jimmy was born November 12, 1960. Kim was born February 13, 1968.

If you're curious about what The Secret Language of Relationships (Goldschneider & Elffers, 1997) has to say about that pairing (well, was): 

Jimmy was born in "The Week of Charm," and Kim in "The Week of Acceptance." Their best combination is supposed to be "Work," while their worst is "Love." The relationship is summed up under the title "Hard Decisions."   

"These two can do well as partners in a variety of endeavors. Their activities are usually well grounded in the here and now and have particular relevance to the times in which they live...these partners want to affect the family, social or commercial environment around them in a meaningful way and to change things for the better...traditional astrology predicts friction and stress in their relationship, but also dynamism. This can certainly be the case—there will be few dull moments in this relationship...Love affairs and friendships in this combination are usually intense and committed. Affairs can be highly passionate, friendships devoted...They often combine their marriages and their working relationships, with relatively good success. Their relationship gives them an unusually high capacity for commitment, as well as tough pragmatic attitudes and the ability to see things through. To understand how strong these pairings are, one has to look at them over the long run, since they can be expected to feature a lot of ups and downs..."

Hmm! I doubt G&G were consulting astrology tomes when deciding when their characters would be born, but that's pretty good. I mean, a lot of it fits, and it's not so general that it could be just as much about Tony and Carmela, or Ross and Rachel.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Like 2

Sorry if this was mentioned over the last 13 pages of comments but.....

WTF did they feel the need to make Florida Kim look like a refuge from a 1980s KMART paper circular? Seriously, the sneakers, the pumps, the high waisted mom jean skirt....semi mullet hairdo. She looked out of place even among the Karens in her new circle. Hell, her mother in the flashbacks was more in style than 2022 Kim.

We get it, her life sucks now and is totally devoid of any excitement, intellectual challenge, drama or love and passion. It is sort of insulting to small town America that THIS is how the producers see them.

She came across as medicated.....which maybe was the point? That she has PTSD from all the stuff that went down? Except---in the flashbacks when she met with Jimmy to get the paperwork signed, she still had some spark of her old self. 

Edited by Stuckathome
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

Sorry if this was mentioned over the last 13 pages of comments but.....

WTF did they feel the need to make Florida Kim look like a refuge from a 1980s KMART paper circular? Seriously, the sneakers, the pumps, the high waisted mom jean skirt....semi mullet hairdo. She looked out of place even among the Karens in her new circle. Hell, her mother in the flashbacks was more in style than 2022 Kim.

We get it, her life sucks now and is totally devoid of any excitement, intellectual challenge, drama or love and passion. It is sort of insulting to small town America that THIS is how the producers see them.

She came across as medicated.....which maybe was the point? That she has PTSD from all the stuff that went down? Except---in the flashbacks when she met with Jimmy to get the paperwork signed, she still had some spark of her old self. 

IDK, I’ve seen plenty of people of a certain ilk with just that look. Women and men - shudder!

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

This actually was discussed here extensively.  Vince Gilligan stated (in an interview linked in this thread)  that this was not to insult the people who chose those lives at all but to show how a brilliant legal mind like Kim, who once said in a job interview that she left Nebraska because she "wanted more" decided to punish herself.  

And remember there is at least six years between the divorce and the timeline of this episode.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 8/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, Simon Boccanegra said:

It's apparent they went through the Saul scenes of Breaking Bad (including many written when Breaking Bad was a presumed standalone series) and determined that some things would be "canon" and were good starting points. The references to Ignacio and Lalo in his first appearance became very important; long-term story was retrofitted to that.

Also noticed that we saw Hector before the stroke and after the stroke in BrBa; but it was never shown why until BCS. Did they know they'd have BCS to explain it? Or did they have an alternate reason for the stroke that they "ret-conned" when they knew BCS (& Nacho) was going to happen?

• Love 1
On 8/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, PeterPirate said:

I wonder if G&G have ever addressed the change in the reason for the use of "Saul Goodman".  My guess is they wanted to avoid any controversy regarding the use of an ethnic name. 

I'd more trust what Jimmy McGill said to his dear friend Marco, (it's all good man), than ANYTHING Saul Goodman says to Walt on first meeting, after years of cultivating his crass SG personna.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/12/2022 at 5:59 PM, scenario said:

I think that with Kim, people were going to ask him what happened to her. Even criminals saw the two of them together at the courthouse and knew they were married. He wasn't going to say that she left because he was scum and turning her into a criminal.

He probably ended up trying out a bunch of different stories depending on who he was talking to. The story we first heard was his funny version never really intended to be believed. 

Jimmy had 2 previous wives from his Slippin Jimmy days, I see no reason he would besmirch Kim's memory with a lie that sh#ts all over her. Neither Howard or Chuck gave any reasons why their marriages broke up. Divorced professional couples are as routine as public masturbation in ABQ.

• LOL 1
On 8/13/2022 at 8:19 AM, SimplexFish said:

I think that is correct...but why Slippin?

In season 1(?) they explained the term came from his go to con which was the  Slip & Fall. (He did to the twins in the Music Shop when he was selling his commercial slots as... Saul Goodman.)

8 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

In season 1(?) they explained the term came from his go to con which was the  Slip & Fall. (He did to the twins in the Music Shop when he was selling his commercial slots as... Saul Goodman.)

Look at the video posted this morning 9-10 posts up...

48 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I'd more trust what Jimmy McGill said to his dear friend Marco, (it's all good man), than ANYTHING Saul Goodman says to Walt on first meeting, after years of cultivating his crass SG personna.

That's fine, but let me see if I can make another point that others will accept.

When Walt meets Saul Goodman, the latter said he adopted that DBA for its ethnic value.  That characterization had value.  It established the character as someone willing to do odd and wacky things to advance his career, and also express himself using colorful vocabulary.  

In BCS, Saul's statement turns out to be false, and we are given no information within to show to explain why.  For me that diminishes the value of the previous scene from BB, because I have to watch it and say to myself "That line isn't true".  It also diminishes the value of the characterization of Saul, since we have no evidence in  BB that he threw out false expositional information.  

Now, I have made up my own workaround to explain the change.  Jimmy was with Kim when he filed the DBA paperwork, and he told her "S'all good, man".  If he repeats that line to people he will be painfully reminded of that event.  So he has concocted the "pipe-hitting member of the tribe" as his new explanation.  For me this fits the narrative and retains the value of the line.  For everyone else, your mileage may vary.  

On 8/13/2022 at 7:05 PM, jww said:

So,  saying Jews are better lawyers is anti-Semitic  because  most Americans claim to hate lawyers who are viewed as dishonest,  greedy and engaging in excessive legalism which are stereotypes often attributed to Jews?

Saul's line to Walt was about his client's prejudices. The antisemitism you describe is based on the antisemitism of attributing the character Shylock (Uncle Willie's Merchant of Venice) to all Jews. The name was used as a slur, Jimmy hinted at this when he jumped on Kevin's use of the offending phrases in the country club.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

he told her "S'all good, man".  If he repeats that line to people he will be painfully reminded of that event.

The "S'all good, man" line should give him fond memories of his days with Marco, not Kim. That's his first use of the name in BCS. Viktor St. Clair is the alias with the painful memories.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

The "S'all good, man" line should give him fond memories of his days with Marco, not Kim. That's his first use of the name in BCS. Viktor St. Clair is the alias with the painful memories.

Hmmm, okay.  Why don't you give it try?  Come up with an explanation for the change that preserves the value of the pipe-hitting line.  

54 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

That's fine, but let me see if I can make another point that others will accept.

When Walt meets Saul Goodman, the latter said he adopted that DBA for its ethnic value.  That characterization had value.  It established the character as someone willing to do odd and wacky things to advance his career, and also express himself using colorful vocabulary.  

In BCS, Saul's statement turns out to be false, and we are given no information within to show to explain why.  For me that diminishes the value of the previous scene from BB, because I have to watch it and say to myself "That line isn't true".  It also diminishes the value of the characterization of Saul, since we have no evidence in  BB that he threw out false expositional information.  

Now, I have made up my own workaround to explain the change.  Jimmy was with Kim when he filed the DBA paperwork, and he told her "S'all good, man".  If he repeats that line to people he will be painfully reminded of that event.  So he has concocted the "pipe-hitting member of the tribe" as his new explanation.  For me this fits the narrative and retains the value of the line.  For everyone else, your mileage may vary.  

Last paragraph seems to work. I’m not really concerned about the argument one way or another. As I’ve said, people change, lie, obfuscate, concoct, for many reasons or no reasons. Jimmy, Saul, Gene (pick one) has more stories than Carter’s has pills. So I’m not bothered by any seeming inconsistency.

But the pain aspect of PeterPirate’s argument makes sense to me. Some things are just too painful to be reminded of. (I know, I know, preposition at the end of a sentence…)

I once had a career that was all but predestined. Practically etched in stone. Until said stone cracked. So I refused to view this ‘career’ for years until I had kids. Then I grew up and realized I was being a big fat (rhymes with wussy).

Pain is a driving force, for good or bad, and may have been one for JSG in his library of ever changing stories.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, carrps said:

We just got ours day before yesterday. I've only used it in ham sandwiches so far, but I can't tell any difference between it and Best Foods (Hellman's).

I can’t tell any difference between Duke’s and Hellman’s either.

We always had Hellman’s when I was a kid. But now, as an insecure man, I buy Duke’s because the name makes me feel more manly. The John Wayne of mayonnaises. 

Cooking tip: a thin smear of mayo on the bread in a grilled cheese is not bad. Hardly gourmet, but for soup and sammich night, it ain’t too bad.

I just don’t remember if it goes inside or outside the bread. One of those food network cooking show people mentioned it.

Maybe ask a Brit. They put mayo on anything. I am curious what brand they like though. 

By a healthy margin the Brits like Hellman’s. But they put it on lobster, so their judgement is questionable. That’s actually what started the American Revolution.

Edited by Lalo Lives
Additional damned information! Geez
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

He's still be a colorful guy who's willing to do odd and wacky things to advance his career, including pretending to be Jewish. In fact, what he says to Walt is, "My real name's McGill, the Jew thing I just do for the homeboys..."

You're assuming that "the Jew thing" literally means "using the name Saul Goodman" but it can also just mean "I pretend to be Jewish" for the homeboys. You're assuming the name is a result of the "Jew thing," but in reality it was the other way around. When looking for something to bond with his white Irish client over, he naturally not only whips out his real Irish name for a similar advantage with him, he bonds them further by referencing how he pretends to be Jewish for his clients, many of whom probably need more than the name Saul Goodman to get that he's a member of the tribe. The line is still true.

I think it's pretty explicit in BCS that changes like this are connected to Jimmy avoiding pain or uncomfortable memories. We literally saw him leaning into his sleazy Saul persona as a defense when Kim came to sign the divorce papers. None of the real explanation would have made sense for him to say to "Mr. Mayhew" but leaning into the prejudices of his clients certainly would. Not only that, it fits more with the man Saul is supposed to be that point, a guy who's become the sleazy persona he adopted. Saul isn't lying in BB, he's telling Mayhew what is true in that moment. It's another example of the show fitting itself into the original BB canon in ways that change how they come across. Sometimes people are going to prefer the BB version of the character

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

He's still be a colorful guy who's willing to do odd and wacky things to advance his career, including pretending to be Jewish. In fact, what he says to Walt is, "My real name's McGill, the Jew thing I just do for the homeboys..."

You're assuming that "the Jew thing" literally means "using the name Saul Goodman" but it can also just mean "I pretend to be Jewish" for the homeboys. You're assuming the name is a result of the "Jew thing," but in reality it was the other way around. When looking for something to bond with his white Irish client over, he naturally not only whips out his real Irish name for a similar advantage with him, he bonds them further by referencing how he pretends to be Jewish for his clients, many of whom probably need more than the name Saul Goodman to get that he's a member of the tribe. The line is still true.

I think it's pretty explicit in BCS that changes like this are connected to Jimmy avoiding pain or uncomfortable memories. We literally saw him leaning into his sleazy Saul persona as a defense when Kim came to sign the divorce papers. None of the real explanation would have made sense for him to say to "Mr. Mayhew" but leaning into the prejudices of his clients certainly would. Not only that, it fits more with the man Saul is supposed to be that point, a guy who's become the sleazy persona he adopted. Saul isn't lying in BB, he's telling Mayhew what is true in that moment. It's another example of the show fitting itself into the original BB canon in ways that change how they come across. Sometimes people are going to prefer the BB version of the character

Yes, everything you say makes sense.  But you have nothing in the text of the show to back it up specifically.  

I am not making any assumptions.  The line is "The Jew thing I do for the homeboys.  They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."  The exact interpretation is irrelevant.  What matters is the reference to ethnicity is not repeated anywhere in BB, and when it is repeated in BCS, it is not with one of his clients.  

As I have pointed out, I am an irritating stickler on details.  I am uber-Watsonian.  If there is nothing in the text of either show to explain the change, I am going take of note of that.   

Edited by PeterPirate
15 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Yes, everything you say makes sense.  But you have nothing in the text of the show to back it up specifically.  

I am not making any assumptions.  The line is "The Jew thing I do for the homeboys.  They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."  The exact interpretation is irrelevant.  What matters is the reference to ethnicity is not repeated anywhere in BB, and when it is repeated in BCS, it is not with one of his clients.  

As I have pointed out, I am an irritating stickler on details.  I am uber-Watsonian.  If there is nothing in the text of either show to explain the change, I am going take of note of that.   

But then, it's not like the show is much about Saul dealing with clients in any detailed way (particularly the type he's talking about in BB) so it's not a contradiction either. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Hmmm, okay.  Why don't you give it try?  Come up with an explanation for the change that preserves the value of the pipe-hitting line.  

I've been making that argument up and down the thread for days. The basic gist of it is:

1. You are arguing that the explanation is inconsistent when it is merely overdetermined, in the sense that people often have make decisions based on a converging web of interests and not one simple idea. For instance, if someone makes the general choice to change their name, they still have to choose a particular new name to change it to, so there's nothing contradictory about saying that Jimmy changed his name because of "the Jew thing" and changed it to this particular Jewish name because it sounds like "S'all good, man."
  2. When a decision is overdetermined, you can choose to share different parts of that decision with different people without any of those parts being untrue or contradictory. For instance, it makes perfect sense that Jimmy wouldn't tell Kim that he chose the name Saul Goodman because he wanted to pretend to be a Jew, because he has every reason to think that she would find that explanation uncomfortably racist.

I totally understand why you don't want to rob a previously established character point of its meaning; I've mentioned before that I'm exactly the same way. What I don't understand is why you'd insist that the show just repeat the same character point that had already been established. We already know from Breaking Bad that Jimmy wanted to pretend to be Jewish, so why would BCS have keep harping on it? Isn't it more interesting to add additional nuance that further fleshes out his name change?

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But then, it's not like the show is much about Saul dealing with clients in any detailed way (particularly the type he's talking about in BB) so it's not a contradiction either. 

I thought we already agreed that this was a change, not a contradiction.  

6 minutes ago, Dev F said:

I totally understand why you don't want to rob a previously established character point of its meaning; I've mentioned before that I'm exactly the same way. What I don't understand is why you'd insist that the show just repeat the same character point that had already been established. We already know from Breaking Bad that Jimmy wanted to pretend to be Jewish, so why would BCS have keep harping on it? Isn't it more interesting to add additional nuance that further fleshes out his name change?

I don't know if I insist on seeing the ethnic reference repeated.  But I do note that they included the "S'all good man" thing four times (three by Saul, one by Hank).  They harped on that pretty well, I'd say.  

I also note they took the time to flesh out the Kevin Costner reference, the two ex-wives reference, the Lalo reference, and the Nacho reference.  If they were going to be consistent, they would have had one of Saul's clients bring up the ethnicity of his name. 

And I am absolutely not insisting on anything.  I did not start this topic.  I just added my own opinion to it.  

I thought we already agreed that this was a change, not a contradiction.  

But you seem to be talking about it as if it is a contradiction by suggesting we're missing something if we don't actually see clients of Saul's saying they like him because he's Jewish.

I don't know if I insist on seeing the ethnic reference repeated.  But I do note that they included the "S'all good man" thing four times (three by Saul, one by Hank).  They harped on that pretty well, I'd say.  

I don't think having something organically come up more than once is harping on it. Nor is it harping on it when Saul uses his name to cry anti-Semitism in the country club. But the show isn't going out of its way to write scenes with characters just for the sake of reaffirming that what Saul said about his cilents in BB is true or not. The writers have said they were surprised at how little they focused on his time as Saul Goodman, but if they'd spent more time with him it probably would have come up at some point.

I also note they took the time to flesh out the Kevin Costner reference, the two ex-wives reference, the Lalo reference, and the Nacho reference.  If they were going to be consistent, they would have had one of Saul's clients bring up the ethnicity of his name. 

And I am absolutely not insisting on anything.  I did not start this topic.  I just added my own opinion to it.  

They didn't take their time to flesh out Saul's stepfather. In fact, they did far more to discredit that story than they did this line to WW and dealt more on the McGill than they did on Saul Goodman's law practice. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But you seem to be talking about it as if it is a contradiction by suggesting we're missing something if we don't actually see clients of Saul's saying they like him because he's Jewish. 

You objected to my use of the word "contradiction", but later agreed to the use of the word "change".  I have scrupulously used "change" ever since.  

I don't think having something organically come up more than once is harping on it. Nor is it harping on it when Saul uses his name to cry anti-Semitism in the country club. But the show isn't going out of its way to write scenes with characters just for the sake of reaffirming that what Saul said about his cilents in BB is true or not. The writers have said they were surprised at how little they focused on his time as Saul Goodman, but if they'd spent more time with him it probably would have come up at some point.

"Harping" is a word another poster used with regard to my comment that I would have liked to see another reference to the ethnicity of Saul's DBA name.  I submit that if it is OK to use that word for one reference, it is also OK to use that word for four references.  

They didn't take their time to flesh out Saul's stepfather. In fact, they did far more to discredit that story than they did this line to WW and dealt more on the McGill than they did on Saul Goodman's law practice. 

There is nothing within the text of the show that precludes Mrs. McGill from having remarried.  

3 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

You objected to my use of the word "contradiction", but later agreed to the use of the word "change".  I have scrupulously used "change" ever since.  

The word isn't really what I'm focusing on.

"Harping" is a word another poster used with regard to my comment that I would have liked to see another reference to the ethnicity of Saul's DBA name.  I submit that if it is OK to use that word for one reference, it is also OK to use that word for four references.  

I know, I was referring to both posts. i think they used the term "harping on" to describe the idea that the writers have to include scenes just to give that same information again. If it comes up naturally (like when Saul accuses people of being anti-Semitic at the country club or says "S'all good, man" in some other context), they probably wouldn't describe it that way.

There is nothing within the text of the show that precludes Mrs. McGill from having remarried.  

There's nothing in the text that precludes Saul's clients liking that he's Jewish. In fact, there's far less to preclude it, than Saul's story in BB. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lalo Lives said:

By a healthy margin the Brits like Hellman’s. But they put it on lobster, so their judgement is questionable. That’s actually what started the American Revolution.

Gonna miss you when this is over, LaloLives!!  Actually, I will miss a lot of you and these delightful, insightful, and sometimes fight-full conversations.

Edited by MBayGal
fixed typo
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

The word isn't really what I'm focusing on.  

Fair enough.  Let's take your previous post and substitute "change" for "contradiction"..

45 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But you seem to be talking about it as if it is a change by suggesting we're missing something if we don't actually see clients of Saul's saying they like him because he's Jewish.  

And now I am going to take issue with the word "we're".  I articulate my opinions alone, and I do not presume to speak for anyone else.  

10 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Fair enough.  Let's take your previous post and substitute "change" for "contradiction"..

59 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

So why do you object to what you consider a contradiction in this case, but not in the other story Saul tells Walt?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

So why do you object to what you consider a contradiction in this case, but not in the other story Saul tells Walt?

I am not using the word "contradiction" in this case anymore.  

For that matter, I don't think I've used the word "object", either.  

I've merely noted the change in the reason for Jimmy to use "Saul Goodman", and that the value of the original line in BB has been diminished somewhat.  It didn't bother me all that much.  It has been this extended discussion that motivated me to develop my own workaround. 

That's how things go.  Some people did not like the change from Old Jeff to New Jeff.  Other people didn't have a problem with it.  Some came up with the idea that Gene perceived Jeff to be more menacing because Jeff had leverage over Gene.  If that helps people to enjoy the show a little better, more power to them.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 1

Here's another shot from Hector into Nacho:

When Jimmy came up with the name Saul Goodman (both in Chi & ABQ) he wasn't a lawyer, he wasn't attracting clients who needed Jewish "bona-fides", so that played no part. Obviously at some point someone noticed that Goodman was a serendipitous DBA choice for the legal profession. He never used it in any of his adverts, no six pointed star wipes, no Oy Veys from swindled elders in his ads. Jimmy simply didn't need that to drum up business.

20 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Gonna miss you when this is over, LaloLives!!  Actually, I will miss a lot of you and these delightful, insightful, and sometimes fight-full conversations.

Well, if it hadn’t been for that (wholly unjustified) restraining order (might have been a protective order; potato, potahto) that Vince, Peter, and Tom had requested, I would never have been forced to seek out this forum.

They were my chief source of information about BCS. But my dadgum binocular strap got caught on a branch, snapped, and there went my 10x50’s into Vince’s pool. Well, technically into his 7 layer nacho dip, and then into the pool.

If you don’t want people watching your pool party, don’t plant 200 year-old live oaks just outside your fence.

Anyhow, 401 feet is a special number for me now.

——————————————

Lots of smart and funny people here. And kind people. It has been illuminating and enjoyable.

• Love 2
On 8/15/2022 at 12:12 PM, Lalo Lives said:

How can you make a lobster roll without mayonnaise???

20 minutes ago, carrps said:

How can you make a lobster roll without mayonnaise???

Oh yeah, I know that, but those philistines just pick out that luscious and succulent and tender lobster meat and dip it or smear it in mayo.

Usually COLD!

We here in Amerka dip WARM lobster meat in hot butter the way God intended.

It’s in the Bible. The book of Genitals.

—————

To be fair, a good lobster roll is heaven on earth. And if I lived in the northeast I’m sure I would weigh 1200 pounds due to all the good food up there.

Lobster is the least of my worries as it does not fit in my budget. Maybe once a year. Bummer.

P.S.

IF you have a good lobster roll recipe, I’m all ears. Seriously.

• LOL 1

Rhea Seehorn on the Jimmy Kimmel show, with Al Franken guest hosting.  

Love the hair and the lack of excess makeup and lipstick.  She talked about how she was sort of method in her approach to the crying jag.   

I gotta admit, though, that as honest and stellar as that performance was, I have yet to shed a tear when watching that scene even through multiple viewings.  I have teared up a couple or three times when Carol Burnett pushes her alarm button.  

• Love 2
On 8/14/2022 at 7:02 PM, MBayGal said:

The finale ep of The Americans is still on my DVR.  Great show and a well-done finale.

I only deleted that finale in June, and for what turned out to be Stupid Reasons. I'm keeping the last 3 eps of BCS until the S6 Blu-ray comes out. 

• Like 2