Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Meet the Family

• Start Topic

I promised myself I wouldn't binge all the episodes last night. I was in bed all snuggled up watching on my laptop. Then Footloose happened and I just had to go watch on the TV. I am a sucker for a dance sequence. I just die at their different, hilarious dance moves. Then add in the Sparrows and I was glued. 

Cut to: 2ish in the morning, about to call it a night when I see flashes outside and hear this weird noise. It was lightning and hail. I live in LA and took this as a sign that I should see this through. It was pretty much on and off lightning and thunder until the morning. The strangest part, at least in my place in the city, not a drop of rain.

Sorry that has little to do with the episode. I'll have to go back and watch. I didn't want to say much as I binged and I can't be certain what would be a spoiler and what wouldn't be, but wanted to get people talking if interested.

Everybody cut loose!

• Love 4

I'm confused. In the first episode of the series, they said 43 women gave birth. Now it's only 16? What happened to the other 27 babies? And for that matter, where are the final 2 babies that we haven't met yet? 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

I'm so happy you're back show. Loved the Footloose scene and how the shots were done same as the movie. New One gone already. Maybe to leave new dick Ben in charge? He's awful.

I caught that about the 16 births. I also figure the old guy is Vanya's girlfriend's kid. I don't remember their names but I figured he'd have to show up sooner or later.

• Love 7

It's good to have the show back! The Sparrow Academy is definitely an...interesting group. The spitting and hallucination trick? Is pretty gross, yet neat.

It's interesting that Sir Reginald seems almost deferential to his 'children' in this timeline.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Great to have the show back! For all of Marcus's (justified) comments about Luther being not too bright, I'm thinking that neither #1 is very smart.

Loved that they got the dancing into the very first episode. Also loved one of the Sparrow girls reading The Jetset Life (for those not fans of Gerard Way/My Chemical Romance, "The Jet Set Life Is Gonna Kill You" is a song title).

Interesting powers in the Sparrow group. Looking forward to seeing what happens with Vanya. 

3 hours ago, saoirse said:

It's interesting that Sir Reginald seems almost deferential to his 'children' in this timeline.

Yeah, this was something my husband commented on too: "looks like he's not in charge here."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, tkc said:

I never knew that I needed to see the Umbrella Academy involved in a dance-off set to Footloose… thank you, show!

Welcome back, Umbrellas!

I was really hoping that they did just have the dance-off, instead of fighting. That was great. :)

So, where did Sparrow No.1 go? 

I wasn't expecting Stanley, and I wonder if the old man is little Harlan, grown up, or a new person. 

The girl who is like Vanya - I wonder if Reginald at least learned from them, and treated her better as a child. She seems to be the nicest one of the lot. 

I miss sweet Ben. I re-watched the series, before starting this one. 

I wondered if Allison's family would still exist, given that they were never adopted by Reginald, in this timeline. And did I miss Pogo, or wasn't he there? 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 5

So much going on! 

I couldn't stop smiling at the dance-off to Footloose.

Yikes, a son! That will be interesting or possibly quite annoying. I still don't like Lila. And the new hair isn't helping.

The name on the suitcase of the old man was Lester Pocket. Callum Keith Rennie! It's been a while since I've seen him in something I watch.

What the hell is the red ball and why is Mom worshipping? Does it kill dogs only?

I guess Vanya won't have to show off now that the other One is gone. Assuming he won't be back.

New Ben is a dickhead, along with his other Sparrows. I'm with the Umbrellas here. Bigger dickheads than original Reginald. Who is now quite subdued.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Anela said:

I wondered if Allison's family would still exist, given that they were never adopted by Reginald, in this timeline.

I don't see why Allison or especially Vanya would assume that Allison would marry the same guy and have the same child.

Lila was holding a suitcase that looked like the missing one.  At first I assumed it was Stanley's stuff.  As cold as it is to dump your son on his unwitting father, you should at least leave him with his stuff.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

This show is so wild, I almost forgot how much until we started off our new season with a big hallucinatory Footloose dance sequence. I am so glad that this show is back. 

The Sparrows really do seem like dickheads, its interesting seeing the differences between their dynamics and the Umbrella's. They seem to see Grace as more of a robot than their mom, Reginald is less in charge, no Pogo yet, while they seem like they have been much more successful as heroes than the Umbrella's their are clearly some major cracks there. I also thought the way that they were introduced was really interesting. When we first met the now grown Umbrella Academy, they were all introduced with with their number first and their name in quotes, like their number is their real name and their name is just a nickname they gave each other, which is on brand for how Reginald raised his kids as more science projects than kids. When we were introduced to the Sparrow Academy, they all got their names without quotations and an "AKA" like their number is the nickname not their name. So in this go around, was Reginald trying to be more personal with them? 

I hope we get to the meet the gangs alternate counterparts that were never adopted by Reginald.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm confused. In the first episode of the series, they said 43 women gave birth. Now it's only 16? What happened to the other 27 babies? And for that matter, where are the final 2 babies that we haven't met yet? 

The only thing I can think of is that there were fewer births in this timeline. We know Reginald is some sort of alien being, and either he or his people (?) may be responsible for the spontaneous pregnancies. Maybe they decided to do fewer this time and hopefully avert the birth of the original Umbrella kids.

So we know who 13 of them are (Ben is in both iterations of Reginald's family), plus Lila. I do wonder about the missing two.

And yeah, I don't know why Alison assumes her daughter would exist in this timeline. Assuming the Umbrella kids were even born in this timeline they lived very different lives. I was kind of surprised when Five suggested they all had alternates in this universe but then I guess that sort of makes sense. It's confusing!

I don't know how Reginald would have been able to tell which babies were the ones he met in 1963 in order to avoid adopting them a second time. I think it's more likely he managed to prevent them from being born, hence the lower number cited in this episode, which means there are no dopplegangers because they were never born in this timeline. That makes more sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm still smiling. Welcome back UA! 

Okay, 5's briefcase was supposed to bring them back to their 2019 timeline, right?  Since this is clearly a different timeline, why didn't 5 confirm exactly where they are?  Alison should never have assumed that they were home and her daughter still exists.   Wandering off before she is even clear when in time they are is a bad move. 

I'm loving these Sparrows, even asshole Ben.  But the energy ball in the basement has taken Marcus out of the game!  Is Grace even going to let the other Sparrows know that their #1 is gone?  Yikes.

Lila just dropping her son off with Diego who has no clue what is going on and saying "Here's your son!"  Oh boy.  This is going to be fun. At least he isn't an infant. What powers does he possess? Hopefully he can be an asset to the Umbrellas. 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 3

I loved the Footloose dance off. I wish that was real it was so fun. Five thinking he was making out with Delores was funny.

I wonder how Christopher exists. Was he person before a cube? Or always a cube?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2022 at 7:06 PM, Hanahope said:

Reginald only got a robot mom because of vanya killing the real ones.  If he didn’t adopt vanya why still get the robot mom?

Maybe because he still had an attachment to the real Grace? And a robot mom is probably more practical when raising kids with weird powers.

• Love 2
On 6/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Lila was holding a suitcase that looked like the missing one.  At first I assumed it was Stanley's stuff.  As cold as it is to dump your son on his unwitting father, you should at least leave him with his stuff.

Lila would have needed her own time travel suitcase to meet up with Diego. And yeah, not only did the Umbrellas get dumped into 2019 with nothing but the clothes on their backs, but so did the kid. 

• Love 3