Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: The Only Man In The Sky

• Start Topic

Homelander. America’s greatest Superhero. Defending our shores from sea to shining sea. Today, America honors him on his birthday. And the Vought Shopping Network is celebrating by offering the exclusive Homelander Limited Birthday Edition Gold Coin for only $99.95 (plus tax and shipping) while supplies last. Vought Gold Commemorative Coins: An investment that lasts a lifetime.

MV5BYWQ5MGVhYTEtM2IyNy00Yzk2LWE2NTAtNTk3
1241849.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)

Suped up Butcher is somehow even more awesome than regular Butcher. I can't believe that Grace Mallory was a part of a Soldier Boy's coverup. I wonder if that'll make Butcher remove Ryan from her care or handwave his promise to Becca and cut all ties with them altogether.

After seeing the differing reactions from Monique and her boyfriend's to Homelander's speech I'm kinda worried about her and Janine. He was a little too invested in what he was saying which makes me wonder if he was a Stormfront fan also.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 3
  • Love 6

Kimiko looking wistfully at the two kids sharing cotton candy was a nice callback to her and her brother.  I appreciate subtle writing  and acting like that.  No need to call attention to it, just let it play out on her face. 

Mallory has the weapon that "killed" Soldier Boy.  That's a bit convenient.  I assume he's still alive somehow.

Homelander's meltdown was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I was reading the Prime Video X-Ray Trivia for this episode.

The little kid who keeps teleporting around when Hughie was visiting the Compound V Kids Adoption Agency, Red River, is Madelyn Stillwell's kid Teddy, his mother was killed by Homelander's laser eyes while she was holding the baby in the last episode of Season One.

Gunpowder's license plate is 2A4EVER for 2nd Amendment Forever.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1

So many little things I loved in this episode! The movie Vaught produced based on The Deep’s memoir – entitled, of course, “Not Without My Dolphin”. Komiko’s childlike enjoyment of the trip to VaughtLand, including the songs that the Countess sings (“Chimps Don’t Cry”!) The Red River Institute for Supe children who were orphaned when they accidentally killed their parents with their powers. (I especially liked the pleased reaction of the teacher when Hughie tells her that he and Starlight want to adopt a child: "This is fantastic! With a superhuman mother, there is far less chance of parental fatality!" Ha!)

44 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The little kid who keeps teleporting around when Hughie was visiting the Compound V Kids Adoption Agency, Red River, is Madelyn Stillwell's kid Teddy, his mother was killed by Homelander's laser eyes while she was holding the baby in the last episode of Season One.

I had wondered how he survived the explosion the night that his mother died. But if Teddy is a Supe, does that mean that she had him injected with Compound V? Or is it possible that Ryan is not Homelander’s only son?

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Weren't they really surprised last season that Stormfront doesn't age? Seems like there is some public precedent with soldier boy not aging. Seems like they should have taken that more in stride.

But awesome episode, as always.

5 hours ago, Bergamot said:

I had wondered how he survived the explosion the night that his mother died. But if Teddy is a Supe, does that mean that she had him injected with Compound V? Or is it possible that Ryan is not Homelander’s only son?

I would assume Compound V. She did seem the type.

• Like 1

Starlight's ex was right. That song was not appropriate for him to sing. And even more so now that he is no longer a teenager. If you skipped the credits you'll have missed the full version that played over them. That made it even more obvious that an adult man should not be singing like that about a 16 year old girl.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wasn't crazy about the pilot. I actually watched it twice, just in case it would be better if I caught more details, but it was still, by the standards of this very great show, kind of mediocre.

Now this second ep, however, I absolutely love! Every actor in it got to do all kinds of stuff, and we saw shitloads of action, and intrigue, and character nuances. And the number one thing I'm into this show for is watching crazy Homelander be crazy, and he did not disappoint.

I really appreciated the "show don't tell" approach to world-building that they seem to be leaning into. I feel like this ep gave me a much better feel not only for the scope of the Vought Corporation itself but also for the society that this show takes within. It just felt really lived-in, instead of just taking place in a few little bubbles of supe activity.

I still have time to watch Episode 3 before I go to work, but I don't quite want to yet. I still want to just enjoy all the questions and emotions that Episode 2 has left me with for a little while before I move on to whatever delightful batshittery comes next.

Edited by CletusMusashi
On 6/2/2022 at 11:09 PM, mac123x said:

Kimiko looking wistfully at the two kids sharing cotton candy was a nice callback to her and her brother.  I appreciate subtle writing  and acting like that.  No need to call attention to it, just let it play out on her face. 

Mallory has the weapon that "killed" Soldier Boy.  That's a bit convenient.  I assume he's still alive somehow.

Homelander's meltdown was fantastic.

I mean, they did literally spell out why she was looking at the kids later on. She also can't verbalize her feelings as much so looks and reading her expressions are just kind of common for her.

But...I love that are we getting more of more of how she is feeling. She is very emotive without being able to say anything. I kind of want to see her get out of this crusade but she is one of the best chances they have to combat Vought and the rest.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, CletusMusashi said:

I wasn't crazy about the pilot. I actually watched it twice, just in case it would be better if I caught more details, but it was still, by the standards of this very great show, kind of mediocre.

This is season 3. You didn't watch the pilot. You watched the season opener of a series two seasons in. Thus, episode was more about table setting and establishing where everyone was in their lives. Not really an episode meant to judge to harshly. It also had some amazing scenes and character work so I would of called it quality tv regardless. Season openers and pilot episodes always deserve a bit more slack to be given. They aren't the best way to measure week to week quality of a show.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The movie Vaught produced based on The Deep’s memoir – entitled, of course, “Not Without My Dolphin”. 

I'm not sure Vaught produced the TV movie. It was airing on a "Lifetime"-type network called VTV - Television for Women. I think if Vaught had produced it, it would have been a theatrical release. Plus The Deep is no longer one of the Seven.

I could be mistaken, but during the "Not Without my Dolphin" segment, I thought the v.o. referred to VTV as a Vought network. And I found this in a The Boys wiki (see second to last bullet point)  I'm pretty sure it is Vought-affiliated, but again, I could be wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.34.13 AM.png

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

I could be mistaken, but during the "Not Without my Dolphin" segment, I thought the v.o. referred to VTV as a Vought network.

I am pretty sure the the first V in VTV stands for Vought.

• Like 2

Why would the government allow orphan children who have definitely killed their parents to just remain in  civilian custody? 

Also, Nadia killing both her parents makes no sense. They weren't killed at the same time, so why would the second one to die stay with the kid when she just killed their spouse? 

3 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

They weren't killed at the same time, so why would the second one to die stay with the kid when she just killed their spouse?

Sometimes parents love a child even though that child is a monster. There are many evil people among us who have at least one parent who will forgive anything and never stop loving their child. Humans are complicated animals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

Why would the government allow orphan children who have definitely killed their parents to just remain in  civilian custody? 

Also, Nadia killing both her parents makes no sense. They weren't killed at the same time, so why would the second one to die stay with the kid when she just killed their spouse? 

I didn't get the impression that the Red River Institute was a civilian facility.  More like a facility owned and operated by a Vought subsidiary.  The American government at all levels would gladly turn all orphaned Supe children to Vought.  They are unable to handle them, and the system has to be overrun with other children orphaned as Supe related collateral damage.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
31 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I didn't get the impression that the Red River Institute was a civilian facility.  More like a facility owned and operated by a Vought subsidiary.  The American government at all levels would gladly turn all orphaned Supe children to Vought.  They are unable to handle them, and the system has to be overrun with other children orphaned as Supe related collateral damage.  

Vought probably keeps them around to see their potential. If Vought could somehow use them. Either as Supes, terrorists, experimentation in the development of Compound V, or for experimentation on how to control/kill them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I am not sure how canonical these are but there are two "The Boys Presents: Diabolical" episodes "Laser Baby’s Day Out" and "An Animated Short Where Pissed-Off Supes Kill Their Parents" that show a little bit how that world treats uncontrollable kids with super powers.

• Thanks 1
On 6/3/2022 at 1:31 AM, AnimeMania said:

Wow, really? Has it been that long since S1 finale? The boy looked like 4 or 5 years old.

(edited)

Kimiko at the fair was so cute, she was absolutely loving everything that was happening, even the cheesy Soldier Boy show. She does such a great job at showing so much emotion with just facial expressions and body language, you could really see her nostalgia seeing the little brother and sister, and her horror at the kids witnessing another bloody goory mess. Now Billy has official super powers, and ones very similar to Homelander, of course, this is certainly going to be interesting. 

Vaught sure does cover its bases, sponsoring the hilariously ridiculous woke fest AND the gun nut show, you have to make sure they hit every single demographic known to man. Although, I would totally try woke wok, just to see if I could say it three times fast.

Ouch, A Train trying to rebrand himself based on his heritage was so cringy that even Ashley wanted nothing to do with it. That slavery video game was bad even by Supe product placement standards.

Homelander is going crazier and crazier, even letting the mask slip on live television. Starlight better watch herself, she might have blackmail on him but he might be getting to the point where he doesn't care anymore and will just go on a destructive rampage regardless of the consequences. Especially now that he is going all "I am a God" in his increasing instability. The bit with him and the suicidal teen was clearly a reference to a famous comic where Superman talks a depressed teen off a roof, but of course, because its Homelander, it goes about as poorly as you imagine.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Mallory is involved in whatever went down with Soldier Boy, but I still am. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Homelander is going crazier and crazier, even letting the mask slip on live television. Starlight better watch herself, she might have blackmail on him but he might be getting to the point where he doesn't care anymore and will just go on a destructive rampage regardless of the consequences

I liked that even Starlight was tempted enough by power, albeit to do "good" in her mind, that she accepted the co-captaincy position even while she knew it would place her in closer proximity and easier reach of the monster who is Homelander.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I liked that even Starlight was tempted enough by power, albeit to do "good" in her mind, that she accepted the co-captaincy position even while she knew it would place her in closer proximity and easier reach of the monster who is Homelander.

I liked that too. I also like that they're going deeper into Starlight as a character outside of her relationships with Hughie and her mom.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 10:50 PM, Broderbits said:

Sometimes parents love a child even though that child is a monster. There are many evil people among us who have at least one parent who will forgive anything and never stop loving their child. Humans are complicated animals.

Yeah but if my baby blew my wifes head off, I think I would run away and never look back. Unless Vought raised the little baby with no human contact until she was a teenager, I don't see how it worked.

But then again, wouldn't most of the Supe babies kill their parents? Why didn't Toddler A-Train run into his parents and blow their legs up? Why didn't Baby Starlight blind her mother? Thats why the X-Men powers are more believable because at least they don't show up until puberty.

Edited by Wizardpatch
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure Vaught produced the TV movie. It was airing on a "Lifetime"-type network called VTV - Television for Women. I think if Vaught had produced it, it would have been a theatrical release. Plus The Deep is no longer one of the Seven.

VTV... V...TV. The V stands for Vought. They also do television content. This story is perfect for Lifetime. At the time he wasn't in the Seven.

Edited by Castiels Cat

Finally getting around to watching this season (I have to psych myself up to withstand all the blood and gore).  all the pre-season teasers I saw of Soldier Boy were apparently flashbacks.  I have to wonder now if SB is really dead, or will the Boys find out that SB is still alive.