Type keyword(s) to search

S01E14: New Kids on the Block

• Start Topic

With Thalassa in turmoil, Captain Jason tries to find his footing with his new team.

Jason didn't waste time beating around the bush with firing Ryan, who again had a bad attitude.  What the hell is a criticist?

Jaime is like, Aesha can get two replacements but he's still stuck with Benny.  But we know the timing of on-screen firings are not determined by the captain.

On paper the replacements, Nate the chef and Taylor the new stew are far more qualified than Ryan and Magda.  So why were the latter two cast instead of the new cast members?  Because if things ran smoothly, the show would have less drama.

Friction caused by the two slackers probably set up a lot of the episodes.

They're good but they show up on the day of the charter and have to hit the ground running?  But Nate can't because he has to clean up the galley which Ryan left in filthy condition.  Then to top it off, a dishwasher is leaking so he has like half hour to prepare dinner.

So the service and Nate don't do the best job of coordinating in serving the different courses.  But is it that big a deal?  They had to bring out the sauces for the second course again, which was the result of a mixup.

Jason may not find the plating Instagrammable.  Well Nate was hurried by the sad state of the galley.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I really feel for Nate - what a slob Ryan was, in addition to being a nasty bitter bear.  How fitting that he and Magda who had bonded over how cruelly they were treated, got to leave together!

There's no way Culver is going on that van trip with Brittini.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

It sucks that the service for that dinner was so shitty though, but I blame both of them.  Nate for the circumstances he was dumped into with that disgusting galley.  Shows you how efficient a chef can be with how quickly he cleaned it up though, but also.... was that the bucket of fish from the boys charter? Because if so, gross.   I wish/hope there is a reunion so that Ryan can be read for filth.  I wish that with the Magda dismissal they would have been more direct that she's not focused on her job and her phone use is insane.    

Aesha does need to work on her communication and while I get that it was the primary that left the table, I would have dropped the food anyways to the table because it was hot.   Same with the tempura.  Ryan was still a crappy chef making basic food with no effort.   His exit and commentary while he was exiting was him to his core.  What a douche.  I love that Capt basically said you have 20 minutes.  

• Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ryan mooned the ship!  Klass with a capital K, that one.  And I'm sure Magda felt relieved to be fired because she had to mend her relationship with a guy that didn't understand she was there to work but wouldn't stop texting her and also went out with Magda's friend.  Another guy with Klass.

Edited because I can't be sure who initiated all that texting.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Ryan mooned the ship!  Klass with a capital K, that one. 

My first thought was that he'd been showing his ass all season, so his final goodbye was unnecessary . . .  but truly him. 

• Fire 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Ryan: "I really don't care."  Yeah, mate, that's been you the whole season!  Won't miss you one bit.

Looks like the new stew is a much better performer than Magda -- I'll bet the phone bill is a lot cheaper.

The new chef really got the short end of the stick, what with Ryan's filth to clean, a broken dishwasher, etc.  Aesha didn't help matters by clearing things away before guests were finished.  The food looked good, though!

So, next week, recovering a lost tender.  With Benny manning the safety equipment, what could possibly go wrong?  No, wait...

• Love 5

Who thought it was extremely convenient that Benny who hadn't DJ'd for nearly 2 years just happened to have his decks on board when the guests requested a festival themed beach party? 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Do the production people, in order to produce drama, keep sabotaging  the boat  or the later is in such bad condition?

Edited by Zaffy
On 6/2/2022 at 4:37 PM, aqusdealer said:

Jaimes depression begins to set in as he’s frustrated. “Why can’t I get some people fired too” Waaaahhh! Waaaah!!!

And he’s digging in on social media about aesha and brittini calling him a bitch.   Waaah!    What a tender ego. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/2/2022 at 11:37 PM, aqusdealer said:

Jaimes depression begins to set in as he’s frustrated. “Why can’t I get some people fired too” Waaaahhh! Waaaah!!!

1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

And he’s digging in on social media about aesha and brittini calling him a bitch.   Waaah!    What a tender ego. 

If a woman complained about being called a bitch despite asking not to be called a bitch, does she have cause to be upset or put off by her fellow crew?

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, aghst said:

If a woman complained about being called a bitch despite asking not to be called a bitch, does she have cause to be upset or put off by her fellow crew?

They didn’t “call” Jamie a bitch, at least not in an aggressive, derogatory way. It wasn’t like they were in an argument & they called him a bitch. Aesha just walked into the crew mess & said something like “Hey bitch!” She certainly didn’t mean any offense. That said, her getting Magda to say is that night was childish, which she admitted. The really weird thing was that Aesha is a fellow head of department & Brittini is under him in the chain of command. So work it out with them. Running to the Captain was ridiculous.

And yes, I would say the same if Jamie was a woman. And if Jamie worked for me & came to me with that complaint, first I would ask the circumstances under which the offensive word was said, and once he explained, I would struggle not to laugh. Did they cut out the part where Jason asked for some context, or did he not, and just assumed they were aggressively calling Jamie a bitch as an insult? And wouldn’t that seem weird to Jason that both women suddenly decided to personally attack Jamie? What would be their reason? 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

So he has to justify why he didn't like being called a bitch?

Once they realized he didn't take it in the joking manner they intended, they should have dropped it but they instigated and got another girl to provoke him.

That's when he took it to Jason.

Should he have retaliated by using sexist epithets on them, in a winky way?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, aghst said:

So he has to justify why he didn't like being called a bitch?

Once they realized he didn't take it in the joking manner they intended, they should have dropped it but they instigated and got another girl to provoke him.

That's when he took it to Jason.

Nope. Since they weren’t using sexual epithets “on” him. “Hey bitch(es)!” used amongst people who you otherwise get along with, is not meant in a derogatory way. That certainly did not appear to be either Aesha or Brittini’s original intention. And I think both were confused when he growled at them not to call him that, since it’s such a common use of the word & they weren’t meaning to be disrespectful . Probably the opposite actually. I do agree (as did Aesha) that they shouldn’t have instigated with Magda. Jamie’s option at that point was to a) have a conversation with both women (when everyone was sober) & make it clear that for whatever reason it is not a joke to him & it needed to end; or b) tattle on them, which is exactly what he did. Best I can tell he has very little sense of humor and a very fragile ego. Not a good combination in any career, but especially not on a yacht or other environments where there is a lot of working under pressure, in tight quarters, with the occasional shit talking. God forbid someone actually use an epithet intentionally & in anger. He might actually cry. 

And let’s not forget, that when he was complaining to one of the guys about this, he actually did call Aesha & Britini bitches, in anger (and not even ironically). I don’t think that would have gone down too well if he had done that when he went to tattle to Jason. 

• Love 5
On 6/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, aqusdealer said:

Jaime cannot see beyond himself. Doesn't he realize that he's creating a ton more work for the crew (by firing Benny)? Hopefully, he'll recognize how he comes across, while he watches the show on TV.

• Love 1
On 6/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, aghst said:

Why was there a "need" to retaliate? His response to them said it all. After that exchange, they should have retreated to their corners, and dropped it.  Both sides were wrong, and Jaime needs to prioritize what he finds offensive, versus not offensive. No one can read minds.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, aghst said:

She has every right to be upset and would be owed an apology UP UNTIL the moment she refers to the offenders as bitches. Once both sides are cursing each other, the original accusations are dismissed.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2022 at 6:35 AM, Genus said:

Who thought it was extremely convenient that Benny who hadn't DJ'd for nearly 2 years just happened to have his decks on board when the guests requested a festival themed beach party? 

I thought the same thing. But then I realized if I wanted to be a DJ (rather than be part of a boat crew), I would bring my DJ'ing equipment everywhere -Just to showcase my talent. Hopefully some viewers reached out for him to DJ after the show was over.

• Mind Blown 1

Ryan the Repulsive was completely his best self in his last few minutes. Sure, Repulsive, 🙄 the Captain is intimidated by your short, micro-penised, thoroughly weak, unskilled, unacomplished, hateful, talentless, dirty,  self. 

The part to take satisfaction in is that you've displayed those sterling qualities on a program shown in at least three countries and which will live on internet sites for all future employers and would-be benefactors to be appalled by for the rest of your obviously miserable life.

PS- Your  bare ass looks fat on tv.

Edited by BlueHawk
Punctuation
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Thank goodness both Ryan and Magda are GONE.  Ryan was so SURE he was good for the last 3 charters and could be as much of a dick as he wanted and the Captain would do nothing about it.  Hahahaha!  Check Mate!  And Magda seemed too happy to be fired or maybe she did not see it coming.  From the look on her face as Captain was talking she didn't.  I hope both come on the Tell All at the end of the season.

As far as the Bitch comment to Jamie.  I totally get it and I thought he asked them nicely, at first, to not call him that.  He should have talked to Brittie after Captain talked to her about the incident.  But he handled that poorly, in my opinion.  They all need to grow up a little bit.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, gaPeach said:

Thank goodness both Ryan and Magda are GONE.  Ryan was so SURE he was good for the last 3 charters and could be as much of a dick as he wanted and the Captain would do nothing about it.  Hahahaha!  Check Mate!  And Magda seemed too happy to be fired or maybe she did not see it coming.  From the look on her face as Captain was talking she didn't.  I hope both come on the Tell All at the end of the season.

As far as the Bitch comment to Jamie.  I totally get it and I thought he asked them nicely, at first, to not call him that.  He should have talked to Brittie after Captain talked to her about the incident.  But he handled that poorly, in my opinion.  They all need to grow up a little bit.

My thing is that Jamie went way over the top because he creative a narrative in his head that was incorrect. When Aesha came into the room and say Hey Bitch he reacted to her rather intensely and I'm guessing he combined Aesha saying it to him with Brittini saying it before instead of treating it as its own occurrence. I think it was pure coincidence that Aesha randomly blurted it out cause that's the way Aesha is playful. I'm also annoyed with Jamie because it seems like every occurrence of that word being uttered to him he took it as another strike against Brittini when in fact she did it that first time only and the rest of it came from the other two. Aesha was the one that egged Magda on in the van not Brittini. I can't remember but did the Captain talk to Brittini and Aesha about it or just Brittini and again I can't recall but did Jamie even mentioned Aeshas name too cause I feel like Brittini called the most heat for it and she only did it that one time. 

Jamie is petty and I really think that he mainly blamed the whole thing on Brittini. I'm guessing that each time it happened after Brittini said it at dinner Jamie processed it as Brittini orchestrating each of those occurrences hence why he came down so hard on Brittini and that wasn't fair at all. Plus he was wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm curious is Jamie only has a thing about being called a bitch or about all derogatory terms? If he'd been called a bastard or an asshole would he be as angry? There is something more than a bit misogynistic if he's only angered by being called a word that insults women specifically. 

• Applause 4
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I'm curious is Jamie only has a thing about being called a bitch or about all derogatory terms? If he'd been called a bastard or an asshole would he be as angry? There is something more than a bit misogynistic if he's only angered by being called a word that insults women specifically. 

I wondered the same thing. Why is one word his trigger?? And it does not even need to be directed at him, even though he says "Do not call me that" Aesha says "Come on bitches" and his panties are in a wad.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 9:34 PM, Grrarrggh said:

He pretty much said that in his explanation, mentioning all his past roles (cop, security, etc.) and saying "he is nobody's bitch" 

That, coupled with unironically calling them bitches, completely turned me off. Not to mention running to captain and embellishing by saying that Aesha & Brittini were calling all the guys names. Finally, ignoring Brittini when she wanted to talk to him about it. Jamie's an asshole, hope to see him again never. 

I loved how Aesha was completely straight-faced when talking to the captain, then immediately sat down and started laughing to herself about it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On paper the replacements, Nate the chef and Taylor the new stew are far more qualified than Ryan and Magda.  So why were the latter two cast instead of the new cast members?  Because if things ran smoothly, the show would have less drama.

See? You answered your own question. Clearly the show hires based on personality and potential conflict rather than experience. Certain crew members are rather obviously hired just to be fired later.

The new stew is head and shoulders above Magda, but according to her resume she was lead in service on her last boat over a staff of eight. So why on earth would she jump on board this ship to be third stew for three charters? Does she just need the money that badly or did she just want to be on the show?

And I don't think the dinner was nearly the disaster the show wants us to think it is. That poor chef was left with a disaster of a kitchen and only four hours to prepare, which engineers in his way most of that time. Just based on the trays he prepared for the beach party he's already miles ahead of Ryan.

Aesha just walked into the crew mess & said something like “Hey bitch!” She certainly didn’t mean any offense. That said, her getting Magda to say is that night was childish, which she admitted. The really weird thing was that Aesha is a fellow head of department & Brittini is under him in the chain of command.

I'm not sure whether or not Jamie thinks it was Brittini who egged on Magda to call him a bitch. It was actually Aesha, and when Aesha found Brittini crying after Jason scolded her for it, Aesha should have gone straight to Jamie and told him it was her, not Brittini. She obviously understood what Jamie was upset about, she should have owned up to it.

I have a new theory about Jamie, the former cop/security guard/lifeguard/bosun/would-be helicopter pilot. Aged 36 and still trying to find himself. Maybe everywhere he goes he rubs everyone the wrong way and can't get along so he decides it's the job he doesn't like and keeps trying other things. Will he ever figure out the problem is him?

Hopefully some viewers reached out for him to DJ after the show was over.

I doubt anyone who watched the whole season would want to hire Benny for anything.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Hopefully some viewers reached out for him to DJ after the show was over.

I doubt anyone who watched the whole season would want to hire Benny for anything.

I may be nuts but I've kinda warmed to Benny.  If all he needs is positive reinforcement to be productive then yeah why not?  He seemed pretty happy when Jamie complimented on his D.J.'ing skills.  And it's becoming more and more clear to me that Jamie is just a hard ass.  When Brittini wanted to talk to him about this stupid bitch word he didn't want to communicate.  All of this could be solved if he would just explain to her why that word bothers him.  

• Love 3

I think Jamie suffers dually from fragile and toxic masculinity. His professional experience is marked by “macho” rescuer roles…life guard, security guard, police officer. Or the roles feature a very hierarchical structure where Jamie gets to be “The Boss” and tell everyone what to do. Now he wants to land helicopters on yachts.  🙄 He keeps moving from job to job because none of those jobs is propping up his fragile sense of manhood. So, he moves on to the next job in the hopes of filling is masculine void, which no job can do because the problem is internal.

That fragility makes him overly sensitive to criticism and teasing, particularly if the teasing includes insults meant traditionally for women, i.e., bitch. I don’t think he would have been as offended if the women called him a bastard or asshole. He gets butt hurt too easily, and this also drives his need to move on to new jobs. His over sensitivity might also alienate colleagues over time, and his increasing unpopularity also drives the need to move to greener pastures. 

As for his toxicity/misogyny, it wasn’t lost on me on he  lectured Timo for being upset that Culver spent so much time hanging with guests while she worked because it’s  the crew’s  job to amuse the guests and flirt with them to increase tips. However, he was pretty critical when Britini was having a good time flirting with the guests. They seemed to to enjoy it, too. However, Jamie wasn’t happy. Double standard, much?

Further, he tattled on the girls to a man for their insults to get them in trouble. He couldn’t have a conversation with Aesha or Britini to sort it out, and he gave Britini the cold shoulder when she tried to work it out after Jason talked to her.

I think Jamie is smart enough to keep his masculinity/misogyny issues under wraps, but they do peek through from time to time.   I’m actually starting to believe Benny a little bit that Jamie might be a domineering asshole from time to time, and we just haven’t seen that footage. Benny is not a stereotypical tough guy that a Jamie would have a lot of respect for. So I can see him treating Benny with the same respect he treats the girls. 

Just my two cents. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 6

I may be nuts but I've kinda warmed to Benny.  If all he needs is positive reinforcement to be productive then yeah why not?  He seemed pretty happy when Jamie complimented on his D.J.'ing skills.  And it's becoming more and more clear to me that Jamie is just a hard ass.

Jamie is definitely a hard ass and a humorless stick in the mud, but Benny is also a whiny little baby who has admitted, openly and repeatedly, that he's just there to have a good time. And he's made too many mistakes that put himself and others in danger. So I don't think it's an either/or situation.

• Like 2
  • Love 2