Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: The Magnificent City of Chicago

• Start Topic

The big wedding day arrives and Firehouse 51 welcomes Casey back to celebrate the joyous occasion. Emma's plans to replace Violet come to a shocking end.

Airdate: 05/25/2022

Season finale!

Nice to see Kim Delaney have a video cameo as Severide’s mom. Very happy to see Casey back for the wedding. Good episode all around. Emma really screwed herself running away from the scene because the flames were approaching. Glad that she’s gone and that Brett is back

• Love 6

Tuesday was at the wedding! ❤️ Loved seeing Casey again. 
I would have loved to see more of Eamonn Walker (the Chief) dancing. He originally trained as a dancer but had to quit due to an injury.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Meh.

Since I don't like Severide and actively loathe Stella, this was not a favourite episode for me.

Anyone else notice the crap continuity of Stella setting off down the aisle with her purse tucked under her arm only for it to be miraculously gone when the camera angle changed?

And Stella's dress was one of those tacky ones where the the boobs and body move independently of the rigid bodice and a major wardrobe malfunction threatens round every corner.  Literally.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Pretty low rent hoodlum who is sent to kill Severide but runs off when Kelly yells at him.  

I liked Capp and Tony saving the day with the chairs.

PSA, folks.  Keep your voicemails clear!

The standard way of getting rid of the obnoxious character - a miserable fail at a critical moment.  Evil plot twist - Violet goes over to Hawkins' house after the party and he's in bed with Emma.  

And, of course, the 'Danger Will Robinson' cliffhanger.  See you next season!

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Meh.

Since I don't like Severide and actively loathe Stella, this was not a favourite episode for me.

Anyone else notice the crap continuity of Stella setting off down the aisle with her purse tucked under her arm only for it to be miraculously gone when the camera angle changed?

And Stella's dress was one of those tacky ones where the the boobs and body move independently of the rigid bodice and a major wardrobe malfunction threatens round every corner.  Literally.

The dress was shockingly bad.  That particular cut was too short for her wide shoulders. She looked like a linebacker.  The hairstyle made the whole look worse

It must have been a real challenge for the costume designer to make such a beautiful woman look bad.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, mkindyfan said:

Does anyone know if another series has been commissioned?? This episode highlighted (to me) how bad it has gotten and how good it used to be.... 

Yes, it's been renewed

I'm normally a Taylor Kinney fan (he's not winning any Emmys, but he's good enough), but last night was meh. For any future roles, I think he should stick to action and pass on a romantic lead...

I agree about not liking the dress. 

I guess Casey and Brett are breaking up? I expected Sylvie to be pregnant because I thought that the actress wanted to leave the show. Having her back will be better than Emma, I guess. 

They made a big deal about the lock sticking and then showing it as the camera panned away from the cabin. Mystery Dude in Pickup Truck will lock them in and then set fire to the cabin, right? It has windows. Yawn. 

• Love 3

I also got a kick out of Hawkins' groveling at the DC's feet.  She mentions their "intelligent" relationship and he responds with "There is nothing 'intelligent' about that relationship!"  I had to rewatch with CC to find out they both said 'indelicate', but I like my choice better.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I read a few reviews that all said a mysterious truck pulled up outside the cabin. It's clearly the exact same truck that was parked in the alley when Severide got beat up. The question is, who is inside? The drug lord by himself, which seems unlikely since he has other people do his dirty work. Will they lock the newlyweds inside and set it on fire? Ambush Kelly and kidnap Stella? Assault her while they make Kelly watch? Or will we have a big goose egg and the cops pull up before the opening credits roll?

Oh, the possibilities.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

For any future roles, I think he should stick to action and pass on a romantic lead...

I think he's make a great Remo Williams if they decided to reboot it (RIP Fred Ward).

16 minutes ago, scteel24 said:

I read a few reviews that all said a mysterious truck pulled up outside the cabin. It's clearly the exact same truck that was parked in the alley when Severide got beat up. The question is, who is inside? The drug lord by himself, which seems unlikely since he has other people do his dirty work. Will they lock the newlyweds inside and set it on fire? Ambush Kelly and kidnap Stella? Assault her while they make Kelly watch?

I was annoyed at this.  I know it's a drama but the least they could do in a season finale is allow a little happiness at the end.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm shocked there wasn't more of a cliffhanger, actually. I kept waiting for the boat to explode or something. But why the hell is there a padlock on the outside of the cabin door? Talk about asking for trouble.

I wonder why Violet didn't ask Severide to solve her little problem with Emma. I'm sure he could have investigated and solved the whole thing. Cuz that's how he do.

During the opening credits, just as Severide says "I just hope Casey can get here" is when "Guest Star Jesse Spencer" popped onto the screen. Talk about a giveaway. That, and all the promo spots.

That skybridge sure uses cheap glass. You know, I realize Severide killed that guy in self defense, but even so, you'd think something like that would have more of a traumatic psychological impact on him. He just walked away from it like it was an everyday thing. Granted, for him, it sort of is.

I had to laugh when Casey gave Gallo his special ax. First of all, I don't remember Casey ever having a special ax. Second of all, how the hell did he get that thing on the plane? Finally, he said he doesn't use it so much out west. Really? In Portland? Fighting forest fires? OK then.

Tuesday was at the wedding!

Who? Was that the ring bearer girl? Who is she?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

I think that was Benny's cabin. He killed and buried that thug who kidnapped Kelly's sister up there. BTW, Kelly seems to have forgotten all about her. Expected her to be at the wedding. And where was Boden's wife? Trudy?

I noticed the Jesse's credit thing as well. I guess you can't avoid spoilers!

I was also waiting for the ship to explode, or perhaps Kelly and Stella to get shot. This "non-stop" cliffhanger was kind of a bust. I hope there's a decent payoff in Season 11. Any handsome damage of Severide is ok in my book!

43 minutes ago, scteel24 said:

I think that was Benny's cabin. He killed and buried that thug who kidnapped Kelly's sister up there. BTW, Kelly seems to have forgotten all about her. Expected her to be at the wedding. And where was Boden's wife? Trudy?

I noticed the Jesse's credit thing as well. I guess you can't avoid spoilers!

I was also waiting for the ship to explode, or perhaps Kelly and Stella to get shot. This "non-stop" cliffhanger was kind of a bust. I hope there's a decent payoff in Season 11. Any handsome damage of Severide is ok in my book!

They mentioned that neither Boden's wife or Trudy was available on short notice. Obviously they didn't want to pay for their appearance since it was completely non-critical to the plot.

Is it my imagination or did almost every show this season end with a wedding or a cancelled wedding? I guess the network or the producers think that weddings drive up ratings but I don't really think anyone at this point is seriously invested in any wedding like they were years ago when it was some kind of "very special" show.

Stella's dress was pretty but unfortunately they didn't take the trouble of fitting it properly OR having her wear an appropriate strapless bra so the top of the dress protruded when it is supposed to lie around the mounds AND she had no cleavage at all. An appropriate bra would have given her a pretty bust.

That whole storyline with Emma really made no sense and then ended too quickly and so conveniently. It was never explained why she was White Single Female who desperately wanted to become permanent at Station 51. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That skybridge sure uses cheap glass. You know, I realize Severide killed that guy in self defense, but even so, you'd think something like that would have more of a traumatic psychological impact on him. He just walked away from it like it was an everyday thing. Granted, for him, it sort of is.

I had to laugh when Casey gave Gallo his special ax. First of all, I don't remember Casey ever having a special ax. Second of all, how the hell did he get that thing on the plane? Finally, he said he doesn't use it so much out west. Really? In Portland? Fighting forest fires? OK then.

I also don’t remember Casey having a special haligan with a special name. That was totally retconned. He always used a regular, very beat up haligan. And it’s kind of annoying how the show almost acts as if Portland doesn’t have regular fires/rescues - only wildfires! (BTW - Tuesday is the firehouse dog.)

With Severide - I had the same exact thought as I watched it. Killing a person, regardless of the circumstance, is typically a life-altering event, and he just kind of blankly went "eh." Then again, Casey killed a dude with a hammer in season 4, and he got over it within an episode or two.

In general:

I get that the superficial Emma, Inspector Severide, and Stealing Someone Else’s Wedding Venue drama is what defines this show, and I get that they wanted Casey’s return to be sorta kinda special, but the wedding struck me as a missed opportunity to bring back former characters for the milestone season 10 finale. Mills? Foster? Even Gabby (sorry)? The Darden boys? Something to remember Severide’s best bud Shay? They couldn’t even get Donna and Trudy to show up - yikes. Overall, it would have been nice and nostalgic for it to have been a wedding episode that celebrated Fire's 10 years, rather than the wedding being something that happened in the chaos of a bunch of thrill-frill plots.

I was disappointed that Brett’s story/character didn’t get more mileage out of Casey coming back, just like I was disappointed when Casey’s story got absolutely nothing out of Gabby’s one and only return in season 8. It underscores how sidelined Brett is and will continue to be, as the writers will only consistently and seriously write for characters who have an on-screen love interest. I kept looking at the clock and couldn’t believe Brett didn’t have reciprocal dialogue with him until 9:56. It doesn't feel like Casey's coming back, and Jesse Spencer has a new show again, so this may well have been their last scene (unless the show just keeps on going...).

The only part of this episode that kinda got me emotionally was when Casey handed off to Old Guard Gallo and then wistfully watched Truck 81 pull out. It reminded me of “set the tone” from ER. That being said, and while I understand that Gallo was Casey’s protege project, I really feel like Casey and Kidd should have had a moment about her taking over Truck 81. I don't even remember if they interacted at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Tuesday is Ritter’s Dalmatian. I assumed the little girl belonged to Christopher and Cindy. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I somewhat agree with the posts (sorry I don't know how to grab part of a quote) about Severide not being more bothered that he killed someone. He was upset for a hot minute and then over it. But, I also don't think we should have spent the whole episode on his guilt trip and postpone the wedding AGAIN. I mean he just was some POS drug dealer thug. Clearly it was just a plot tool so that this drug lord guy really has it out for Severide now.

Did they imply that Severide got beat up in order to keep him from testifying against the drugs in the food truck bit, or was that just revenge for him thwarting their $100K drug deal?

This episode certainly did not live up to the hype.  

I liked seeing Casey again.  The smile on his face when he walked into 51 was probably the best part of the finale.  The only other great moment was Emma's departure.  Having her freak out and get called out for it was fun to watch.  

The rest of the episode was meh.  I wasn't impressed with the wedding.  Severide always looks good but Stella didn't.  The dress wasn't right for her and her hair was not flattering.  She looked better when Chloe was doing her makeup and her hair was loose. 

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, magicdog said:

I think he's make a great Remo Williams if they decided to reboot it (RIP Fred Ward).

Who?  What?  Who?

14 hours ago, dovegrey said:

With Severide - I had the same exact thought as I watched it. Killing a person, regardless of the circumstance, is typically a life-altering event, and he just kind of blankly went "eh." Then again, Casey killed a dude with a hammer in season 4, and he got over it within an episode or two.

For me, "blank" is pretty much Severide's default look.

13 hours ago, scteel24 said:

I somewhat agree with the posts (sorry I don't know how to grab part of a quote) about Severide not being more bothered that he killed someone.

I just quote the entire post (or posts) and then delete what is irrelevant and add my thoughts outside the quote.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm shocked there wasn't more of a cliffhanger, actually. I kept waiting for the boat to explode or something. But why the hell is there a padlock on the outside of the cabin door? Talk about asking for trouble.

It's so Mystery Guy in Pickup Truck can lock them in and set the cabin on fire. Duh. ;) 

As for Severide not reacting to killing someone, I think he kinda did but I agree that they definitely rushed it. He came back to the firehouse when he wasn't working that shift and was pretty stunned. But then I guess Stella told him to snap out of it because they had to get married. 🤷 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Leeds said:
12 hours ago, magicdog said:

Who?  What?  Who?

Rent it!  Remo was a movie from the 80s (based on a series of novels) in which he goes on secret spy missions.  Fred Ward played him in that film, and he was awesome in it!

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, magicdog said:

Agreed! But who would play Chiun? He was the real star of the Destroyer series! The movie was really disappointing compared to the books.

• Love 1

The episode was "meh." I was watching camera placement, and every time they passed anywhere near a bridge I was expecting a shooter. Because I'm that dark. As for the not-really-a-cliffhanger, the Feds will likely swoop in seconds after they make their move.

What I really wish they'd done was solve Brett & Casey's conundrum, not kick it down the road 'til next season. Best case is Casey comes back to the show but I'm guessing that's not going to happen. At least no main cast members were killed off this year or left in a state that survival would be unlikely. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

The episode was "meh." I was watching camera placement, and every time they passed anywhere near a bridge I was expecting a shooter. Because I'm that dark. As for the not-really-a-cliffhanger, the Feds will likely swoop in seconds after they make their move.

What I really wish they'd done was solve Brett & Casey's conundrum, not kick it down the road 'til next season. Best case is Casey comes back to the show but I'm guessing that's not going to happen. At least no main cast members were killed off this year or left in a state that survival would be unlikely. 

At least for now, Jesse Spencer is signed on to a new Disney+ show. It's reported as an 8 episode limited series, so he could still come back after that, I guess, but I probably wouldn't count on anything more than a guest appearance.

• Love 1

That whole storyline with Emma really made no sense and then ended too quickly and so conveniently. It was never explained why she was White Single Female who desperately wanted to become permanent at Station 51. 

She was a two-dimensional cartoon villain, and she ended up dispensed with far more easily than I would have imagined. Even when Violet very sensibly pointed out that everyone at 51 would hate her for stealing Violet's place she was delusional enough to think they'd eventually grow to accept and like her. We also never found out what that other captain was hiding about her when Gallo went and talked to him. Maybe she'll be back for more antics next season.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Agreed! But who would play Chiun? He was the real star of the Destroyer series! The movie was really disappointing compared to the books.

How about Daniel Dae Kim?  He's a proven actor, familiar to US audiences and ethnic Korean.  

17 minutes ago, magicdog said:

How about Daniel Dae Kim?  He's a proven actor, familiar to US audiences and ethnic Korean.  

I've always pictured Chiun as a smaller person, DDK would work from a Hollywood perspective, but it should be a physically smaller actor IMO. And a complete smartass.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:05 PM, DanaK said:

Nice to see Kim Delaney have a video cameo as Severide’s mom. Very happy to see Casey back for the wedding. Good episode all around. Emma really screwed herself running away from the scene because the flames were approaching. Glad that she’s gone and that Brett is back

LOL, forgot Kim Delaney was Kelly's mom and didn't even recognize her on FaceTime.  Had a massive crush on her when she was younger.

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder why Violet didn't ask Severide to solve her little problem with Emma. I'm sure he could have investigated and solved the whole thing. Cuz that's how he do.

During the opening credits, just as Severide says "I just hope Casey can get here" is when "Guest Star Jesse Spencer" popped onto the screen. Talk about a giveaway. That, and all the promo spots.

Cliffhanger was an "of course" moment.  Kelly is so macho, he wanted to take these guys on right away.  "I'm ready to meet.  Let's go.  I'm ready to testify.  Today."  Surprised that Stella didn't express even at least a hint of concern.  I'd be worried about testifying against the mob, I'd ask about protection, how long, etc.  For the other police guy to just say he was in Canada or Seattle (?), how was that reassuring?  The guy had just left a few hours ago and now he's already in Seattle?  Huh?  Just very poor that they didn't take more precautions.

Agree re the glass.  Really?  Somebody runs into it and you fall right through?

Casey had the ugly mop on his head when he first appeared.  But then it was combed for the wedding.  Seemed a little rushed to tie it up with Brett.  A 30 second convo of "my life is here at this house."  So I guess that means they're done and he's not coming back.  Why did Jesse Spencer leave the show in the first place?  To try something new?

Agree, Casey never had that black Halligan, we would have seen it.  Now all of a sudden it's some prized house heirloom that needs to be passed down to everyone.  What the heck.  And why doesn't he need a Halligan in Portland?  They don't have fires up there?

23 hours ago, magicdog said:

I was annoyed at this.  I know it's a drama but the least they could do in a season finale is allow a little happiness at the end.

Remo Williams.  Ah, I remember the VHS box with him at the Statue of Liberty.  One of the first PG13 movies I watched at home as a kid during sleepovers.  We thought we were so bada$$ then renting PG13 movies.  If I watched it again, I'd probably think it was very campy.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Why did Jesse Spencer leave the show in the first place?  To try something new?

Agree, Casey never had that black Halligan, we would have seen it.  Now all of a sudden it's some prized house heirloom that needs to be passed down to everyone.  What the heck.  And why doesn't he need a Halligan in Portland?  They don't have fires up there?

Jesse Spencer was on House M.D. before this, so he's been on a television series for 18 years straight. He said it was time for him to take a break and move on. He got married a few years ago and rumor is his wife was pregnant, so he may have a baby by now. Looks like his new Disney+ show will allow him to go home to Australia, too, so that's probably better for him. I don't blame him for needing a change. 

I thought the thing Casey gave Gallo was an ax?  But no, I don't remember it being special either. 

• Love 1
On 5/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, scteel24 said:

somewhat agree with the posts (sorry I don't know how to grab part of a quote)

On my iPad, you highlight the part you want to quote then get a little pop-up that says “quote selection.” Tap it and voila! 

I guess we're stuck with Stella. Was hoping this wedding wouldn't happen and she'd go back far away.

Violet is starting to grate too, considering how wrong she is. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Who actually believe a tourist boat captain is authorized to perform weddings? 

The same people that would believe firefighters barging into chiefs' offices and telling them what to do, or developing an inherently dangerous tool without authorization, or chasing a car with a 40,000 lb. truck, or putting out a structure fire with fire extinguishers, or chiefs sleeping with their subordinates, or....

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Who actually believe a tourist boat captain is authorized to perform weddings?

Actually Captains DO have the authority to marry a couple.  If Brides Magazine is any indication of authority, they say this:

In order for a Captain of a ship to perform a marriage at sea, he must also be a judge, a justice of the peace, a minister, or an officially recognized officiant such as a Notary Public.

• Useful 1

From illinoislegalaid.org

If someone wasn't authorized to perform a marriage, the marriage is probably still valid. The law says that a marriage is “not invalidated by the fact the person solemnizing the marriage was not legally qualified to solemnize it if either party to the marriage believed him to be so qualified.”

All that really matters is whether the spouses think someone’s qualified to perform the wedding. If an officiant is not qualified to do weddings, but you thought they were, your marriage is legal.

And if a marriage was licensed and registered, those ingredients are probably enough to make it valid.

So anyone who knows these chuckleheads will believe they thought the boat captain could legally solemnize the wedding. Also, a smart tourist boat captain would have a license from the Universal Life Church just in case someone wanted to rent out the boat for a last-minute wedding. 😄

Looks like it was Trump Tower that told them to fuck off. Love playing "where's the location" in the Loop. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Also, a smart tourist boat captain would have a license from the Universal Life Church just in case someone wanted to rent out the boat for a last-minute wedding. 😄

That's precisely what I was thinking. The guy got the costume (and the beard) to give off a specific vibe so why wouldn't he offer that as a service? Quite honestly, it would be a far more interesting place to get hitched than the courthouse. But if the show wanted a wedding on the water, why not do it on the department's fire boat?

• Love 1

Catching up and the whole Emma storyline to me was utterly stupid.  Did they ever give any reason why she wanted so badly to be permanently assigned to their house?  She knows everyone there hates her and should know they would hate her more once she pushed Violet out?  Did she honestly think they would eventually forgive her and like her?  I would have also rather seen her get caught instead of self destructing by running out of the fire.

The Severide storyline was a bit stupid too.  Why would the drug boss have Severide attacked?  The dope was found in a police impound yard.  Did Severide even need to testify?

Looks like Casey and Brett are going to break up.  She made it prett clear she’s not leaving Chicago and things with them don’t seem to be working great.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Looks like Casey and Brett are going to break up.  She made it prett clear she’s not leaving Chicago and things with them don’t seem to be working great.

I read it more as their relationship is working great, only Brett just realized that Casey has happily rooted himself in Portland and isn't ever moving back to Chicago, which isn't at all what he originally intended in 10x5 and isn't at all what Brett originally agreed to for the long-distance relationship. It's essentially looking like a near-total retread of Dawsey, with possibly more respect and communication.

My only hope there is that Casey twice told Gabby that he would never, ever leave Chicago to be with her, and then he left Chicago for some kids he hadn't talked to in eight years - so Brett can say whatever she wants but the writers will retcon/forget/handwave the second they need to (like if Kara Kilmer decides eight years of this show is enough).

• Love 2

This whole episode was a bore. 

OMG!!! Super Severide shows up again. Once again, he chases guy who winds up to be armed with a knife. And Severide, despite being a firefighter, is able to get the better of criminal and push him out the window. Wow!!! He's not just fire cop anymore. He's can take on armed criminals now.

To me, it seemed like there was a level of disgust when DC Hill called out Hawkins on his indelicate relationship with Violet. And I don't blame her. Yet another reason why these relationships are prohibited in a work place. Look at the position he's now put himself in, groveling at the feet of his DC to help him get out of a blackmail scam that he caused. Not a good look for anyone. And with Emma now flaming out on her own, will we know if DC Hill could have ever done anything to help him?

And how the hell do you show not check ahead to make sure the wedding venue, that was released to you at the last minute, is still available? That would be one of the FIRST things you do. Instead they're all doing everything else to prep for the wedding before confirming they have an available venue for their wedding.

• Like 1
  • Love 1