Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Season Finale -- I'm Team Good, Thanks For Masking

• Start Topic

The only thing I know about Teyana Taylor is that she's married to Iman Shumpert, so I guess she can put her Golden Mask up on the mantle next to Shump's Mirrorball Trophy.

Bringing my comment over from the live thread, because I hadn't watched yet but just wanted to get spoiled.

I had to laugh at the end when she said she'd put her trophy next to Shump's.  Not sure how I feel about thinking the same as she does, but it was funny.

And, as I previously posted, I knew Nicole was just saving the Cheyenne Jackson bomb to drop at the last possible moment.  Ken was SO close with his Matt Bomer guess, as he also had a major part in Hotel and has been in several other AHS seasons.  But I had it with the Mars clue, so I never considered him.

I have NO idea who those 2 women were. Cheyenne Jackson was good, but this show has become completely unwatchable to me. I thought Firefly was a minimally-talented diva wannabe and drama queen.

• Love 6

I had no clue who any of them were. So I guess this was just a season. And it's over. 

Queen Cobras and Space Bunny were robbed; they really should have been in the final over any of those three, but the schedules clearly didn't work out or something. 

• Love 3

The last few seasons it seems like Nicole often knows who the masked singer is but waits to reveal her guess until they are going home.  It kind of defeats the purpose of the panel guessing if they hold back what they really know.  I guess she doesn't want to tip off the others who it is so she can have her grand moment of stating who it is before they are unmasked.  It really showed in a previous season when she knew it was Todrick and she could have used the buzzer and forced him to unmask.  But she sat back and pretended she didn't know.  She was helping him stay on the show to try and win.  

I did not like Firefly's attitude.  Plus I still had no idea who she was even when she was unmasked.  

• Love 6

Agree with the above comments.  I had no idea who any of these people are.   I was joking with my daughter before each unmasking that Nick would describe them as "superstar", and sure enough, apparently they are all superstars that I have never heard of.  I have heard the name Cheyenne Jackson before but I don't watch American Horror Story and for some reason I always thought Cheyenne Jackson was a woman.

En Vogue was robbed.  Jennifer Holliday was robbed.  Shaggy must have purposely wanted to lose, because he was so-so in his performances but his unmasked performance was winner-worthy.

I've taken to fastforwarding through everything Ken Jeong.

Between the fact that this show doesn't seem to be getting the star power that it used to, and seems to be scraping the barrel for "names" and my intense dislike of crybaby Ken Jeong... I am wondering if I want to even watch if there is a next season.   The schtick is getting old.  We need a new format, a new host, and new panelists.  I would keep Nicole and Robyn and ditch Ken, Jenny and Nick.

With all the mentions she has been getting, I hope Monica (who I was convinced was the Night Angel) will do the show next season.  That would make me want to watch.  Really the only thing keeping me hanging on season after season is the hope of seeing some names I have been wanting to see.

• Love 4

I'd heard of two of them but not the winner.  I agree this format wasn't great because we lost singers who would have been better in the finale.  And yes, after Fire Fly acted out, I really didn't want her to win but oh well.  As for Nicole and her guess of Cheyenne, considering folks on different blogs have been calling that early on, I agree that Nicole was just waiting to drop it this epi so she could look clever.

For next season, I really wish Nick would put some shirts on and I like it when Ken actually makes guesses that sound reasonable.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, roughing it said:

It says a lot about this season that I completely forgot it was on last night and it was the finale! So can someone recap who were the finalists under the masks?

The Prince was Cheyenne Jackson; Ringmaster was Hayley Orrantia (Erica on The Goldbergs), Fire Fly was Teyana Taylor who is described as a singer-songwriter, actress, dancer, choreographer, director and model.

I have no idea who Cheyenne Jackson or Teyana Taylor are. I've never even heard their names. I know Hayley because I watch the Goldbergs, but It never crossed my mind that she was under the mask, despite hearing her sing numerous times on the show. I don't really understand how Teyana won. I never thought her voice was that great.

I'm thinking that maybe the judges are asked not to reveal who is under the mask too early on, if they are quite certain of it, because it would ruin the guessing for the fans.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I have no idea who Cheyenne Jackson or Teyana Taylor are. I've never even heard their names. I know Hayley because I watch the Goldbergs, but It never crossed my mind that she was under the mask, despite hearing her sing numerous times on the show. I don't really understand how Teyana won. I never thought her voice was that great.

I'm thinking that maybe the judges are asked not to reveal who is under the mask too early on, if they are quite certain of it, because it would ruin the guessing for the fans.

I also think that judges are asked not to reveal names too early.  I'm sure Nicole knew Todrick from the first show.  She also usually can guess from the voice so I'm sure she knew En Vogue, Gladys, Dione, etc. before they were revealed.

I don't watch the Goldbergs so I didn't know who Hayley is.  Out of the three, I thought she had the best voice.  I only know Teyana because I watch DWTS so she was there because her husband competed and won last season.  I did know Cheyenne but only because I watch Call Me Kat.  I used to watch Glee but only the early seasons so he wasn't there yet.

I do think Teyana sang better in this episode than the previous ones.  She has a nice tone and she actually reached some high notes in Robin's song.  Before that, she couldn't really reach the higher notes and she also seemed too out of breath to hold them.  Maybe, they fixed her mask because she did mention that on the first show, she couldn't breath.

• Love 1

Having finally watched an entire season, I'm sure they chose the unknown finalists because they can actually sing. When Ringmaster (Hayley Orrantia) sang 'I Will Always Love You', I was floored. She should have saved that for the final.

When some other, more "famous" people sang I was not impressed, but I guess somebody has to be unmasked each week, so we might as well have some cannon fodder.

• Love 1

The Lightening Bug costume was a very TIGHT costume by the looks of it, so breathing problems would be understandable. I assume they loosened it up a bit between tapings but it may have taken a bit more adjustments to get it right. 

• Love 1

This season was a bust. From the head falling off one contestant, the drama queen exploits of Firefly, the Rudy G debacle. Even their Good, Bad Cuddly didn't work out as the three finalists were all from the same group!

I do know Cheyenne Jackson from Glee, but the other two, no idea. I have at least heard of The Goldbergs, but I've never watched it. The winner? No idea who she is, no idea who she is married to, just nothing. Kind of a let down honestly. I thought Ring Master should have won, but she should have switched those final songs and sang the Sarah Bareilles song second as it has more gravitas than that dumb Katy Perry song. Still, I kind of love her voice - she should make an album! I'm not going to sweat it though, this show is so stupid it's not worth the brain cells. I'll forget what happened by next week anyway.....

• Love 4

When Ringmaster (Hayley Orrantia) sang 'I Will Always Love You', I was floored. She should have saved that for the final.

That's a big part of it.  I thought she had the best voice, and I was surprised she wasn't a major recording artist already, but Waking Up In Vegas did her no favors.  If the voting was only on the last songs, I understand it better, though for overall body of work, I'd have given her the trophy.

I know they keep trying new things--I hope they try more singing next time, because that would save me some fast forwarding.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, appositival said:

Having finally watched an entire season, I'm sure they chose the unknown finalists because they can actually sing. When Ringmaster (Hayley Orrantia) sang 'I Will Always Love You', I was floored. She should have saved that for the final.

When some other, more "famous" people sang I was not impressed, but I guess somebody has to be unmasked each week, so we might as well have some cannon fodder.

I think that's part of the problem of the show.  The type of person they get is either 1) professional singer, 2) unknown or lesser known people who can sing, or 3) well known people who can't sing.

There needs to be more balance.  This season was a bust for me because the three finalists are all in my Category 2.  The past several seasons I have been spoiler free, it makes the show more fun to me, and having these three "whodats" revealed was such a letdown.

On the other hand, I do agree it's kind of unfair when a professional singer like Jewel, Nick Lachey, or Lee Ann Rimes wins.  I'm like, well duh, they are professional singers, some of these others are not.  But it's absolutely not fun to have someone like Kirstie Alley, Rudy Giuliani, and that mother/daughter Baby Mama TV people who couldn't sing at all.

What I think would be the best kind of contestant would be someone who is well known but isn't really known for singing.  Chloe Kim to me is the best example.  Nobody knew she could sing, and she was great.

The show definitely needs to do a better job at finding contestants for the next season.

They need to take a long break between seasons. Bring back the first impression guess. Have singers perform more than 3 times to make it to the finals. Wait until famous people sign on

I know Cheyenne from 30 Rock, which is the same as not knowing him. I know the Goldbergs girl from maybe promos on ABC, so I also don't know her. Teyana is at least someone I know. Her body is more famous than she is, as they frequently compare her to Janet in her prime. She seems to invite Janet comparisons.
She is also in Coming 2 America (that's the sequel) as the prince's betrothed. 

666D05CB-CEF7-4DAB-9334-DD228E1EE871.jpeg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

That's a big part of it.  I thought she had the best voice, and I was surprised she wasn't a major recording artist already, but Waking Up In Vegas did her no favors.  If the voting was only on the last songs, I understand it better, though for overall body of work, I'd have given her the trophy.

I know they keep trying new things--I hope they try more singing next time, because that would save me some fast forwarding.

Yes, she should have switched up her songs or save "I Will Always Love You" for the final.  I was amazed when she sang that song.

Glad I fell asleep and missed the show.  Don't know who any of the 3 finalists are.  I might watch the next season, if there is one.  Seems like they're sort of dragging the bottom of the celebrity barrel at this point.  

• Love 1

The masks and the lack of subtlety were top notch, as usual, this season.  The interplay between Nick and the panel was still generally entertaining, too.  The competition was just not as good.  I did not know who any of the final three were, nor was I that impressed with their talent.

My favorite competitors were the Queen Cobras.  They were also the only ones I figured out based on the clues and their vocal harmonies.

For next season, I'd like to see a higher level of competition.  Not just in singing, but I'd like to see people who can move in their costumes.  We need another Lil' Bow Wow (the Frog from way back in season 3).  No one since has been as cool, graceful, and entertaining in their costume.

• Love 2

I have no idea who the final three singers were.  So, it is kind of a bummer to wait all season only to watch three unknowns (to me at least) unmask themselves in the finale.

.  Keep Robyn, Jenny and Nick.  Ditch Ken!

.  Keep Nicole only if she stops making that "stanky face"!  She has to be the most unattractive attractive woman I've ever seen.

.  Ditch the categories and just have everyone perform under one roof.

.  Ditch the fake audience reactions.

.  Ditch the annoying dialogue like, "Who is that?" from the judges. 

.  Ditch Ken.  I mentioned his name already...oops! 

.  Last but not least...ditch Ken!  

• Love 4
On 5/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, Taeolas said:

The Lightening Bug costume was a very TIGHT costume by the looks of it, so breathing problems would be understandable. I assume they loosened it up a bit between tapings but it may have taken a bit more adjustments to get it right. 

I did notice, particularly in the finale, that the drape below the mask appeared to be irritating or possibly too tight. Teyana was constantly pulling the drape away from her face or throat area while singing.

• Love 1

For anyone who's watched Madea movies Teyana Taylor was in Madea's Big Happy Family. She played the Baby Mama of Bow Wows Character and would annoyingly say his name and demand more money for Child Support then needed. She would his name like Byreeeeeeeennnnn.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:32 AM, Lily H said:

I have NO idea who those 2 women were. Cheyenne Jackson was good, but this show has become completely unwatchable to me. I thought Firefly was a minimally-talented diva wannabe and drama queen.

I was hoping Firefly would lose because of her storming off the stage that time.  BTW, around the time that happened, TMZ published a "blind item" about a mega-diva on The Masked Singer who made all kinds of demands, had a humongous entourage, was not cooperating, etc.  They never said who it was, and it could be anyone, but I'm thinking maybe it's Firefly. 

And yeah, I had no idea who she is either.