Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: That White House

• Start Topic

Eleanor commits to Franklin's uncertain political future; Betty unexpectedly becomes second lady upon Jerry's nomination; Michelle wrestles with the consequences of Barack becoming the first Black president of the United States.

Air date: April 17, 2022

It's up now on the Showtime app.

I loved most of the portrayals except maybe Dick Cheney's, and he wasn't on the screen long enough to make a real impression. The actress playing Laura Bush seemed more old and frail than the real Laura Bush. The actors playing Barack Obama and Donald Rumsfeld brought their real-life counterparts to mind immediately, particularly Rumsfeld's smug arrogance and Barack Obama's casual coolness. I got much less of that with Aaron Eckhardt as Gerald Ford or Keifer Sutherland as Franklin Roosevelt. They weren't BAD portrayals necessarily, but I didn't get a sense that I was actually watching the person. This may not be a handicap for the show, as FDR, Gerald Ford, and Barack Obama aren't the protagonists, but supporting characters.

Viola Davis holding her mouth weirdly was kind of distracting. I've never really seen video of Eleanor Roosevelt or Betty Ford so I can't speak to their impressions, but all three women gave excellent performances. I'd be surprised if Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't win an Emmy.

The Fords' VP Arlington residence may have been that ratty: The Naval Observatory didn't become the VP's official residence until 1975, and wasn't occupied full-time until Walter Mondale became Veep in January 1977 (Nelson Rockefeller only used it for entertaining, as his own DC residence was bigger and his stuff was already there). So Gerald and Betty were stuck with whatever Gerald's VP pay could rent in the uber-expensive DC area.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 5

I had high expectations based on the trailer and the cast, but the first episode fell short, IMO. The Obama segments were a total miss for me. That thing Viola Davis is doing with her mouth is terrible and not at all how the real Michelle Obama speaks. And when she's on screen with O-T Fagbenle it looks like the two of them are doing an SNL skit. Also, the 16-year age difference between Davis and Fagbenle is painfully obvious. They should have cast a much older actor to play Barack.

The Roosevelt segments were well-acted, but left me completely cold emotionally. The only segments I found compelling were the Ford ones - Michelle Pfeiffer is really putting her all into the role. I'll give this another episode, but if the Obama segments don't improve significantly, I'm out.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The Fords' VP Arlington residence may have been that ratty: The Naval Observatory didn't become the VP's official residence until 1975, and wasn't occupied full-time until Walter Mondale became Veep in January 1977 (Nelson Rockefeller only used it for entertaining, as his own DC residence was bigger and his stuff was already there). So Gerald and Betty were stuck with whatever Gerald's VP pay could rent in the uber-expensive DC area.

I didn't think their home was ratty.  It seemed pretty standard for middle to upper middle class people in the 70s.  I'm also pretty certain the Fords just stayed living in the same house they were already living in when Gerald became VP.  It was not uncommon then that a long term Congressman like Ford would have his family in the DC area (along with a home in his district).  I do feel Betty is going to be the "star" of this.  Michelle Obama and Eleanor Roosevelt are already so well known, and I don't think Betty Ford has gotten the same focus as they have.         

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I normally love Viola Davis, but this was just bad.  I mean where was the director on the set to say tone down the mouth thing if she couldn’t figure it out herself.  It’s beyond distracting. They also cast an almost 57 year old Viola to play a 44 year old Michelle and a 41 year old to play a 47 year old Obama? That is a weird casting choice to put together. I really think this is first bad acting I’ve ever seen from Viola Davis or should I say bad acting choice,because the mouth thing was so off-putting I really never got into her scenes enough to judge the actual acting.  Terrible, just terrible.

• Love 18

I watched this as I live in hope that Kiefer will one day do something that isn't an ambitious mess. My bad. I don't remember Ford well enough to comment on Aaron Eckhart, but O. T. Fagbenle just felt really off to me. I know the actor isn't supposed to be exactly like the person he's playing, but he stil felt off. It didn't compare well to the portrayals of a younger Obama in "Barry" and "South Side With You."

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

Michelle Pfeiffer is really nailing it as Betty Ford.  OTOH I am shocked they didn’t stop Viola Davis from making those distracting mouth movements that don’t at all look like Michelle Obama. This seems to be all anyone will notice about her portrayal. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I didn't think their home was ratty.  It seemed pretty standard for middle to upper middle class people in the 70s.  I'm also pretty certain the Fords just stayed living in the same house they were already living in when Gerald became VP.  It was not uncommon then that a long term Congressman like Ford would have his family in the DC area (along with a home in his district).  I do feel Betty is going to be the "star" of this.  Michelle Obama and Eleanor Roosevelt are already so well known, and I don't think Betty Ford has gotten the same focus as they have.         

For people who lived through those years, Betty Ford is just as well known. She was noted for her brave public battles with cancer and alcoholism. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

For people who lived through those years, Betty Ford is just as well known. She was noted for her brave public battles with cancer and alcoholism. 

I was very young then and remember hearing about her. She was an amazing woman and last night I found myself wishing the show were just about her. 

• Love 13

I should clarify.  I meant that Eleanor Roosevelt is a major historical figure who has been extensively studied and researched.  Michelle Obama was very recently First Lady, was historic from the moment she entered office as the first black First Lady in our country's history, so she is still a well known quantity.   Betty Ford is certainly accomplished, and has well known moments as First Lady, but I don't think she has gotten the same kind of historic appraisal as Roosevelt or even Obama. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I should clarify.  I meant that Eleanor Roosevelt is a major historical figure who has been extensively studied and researched.  Michelle Obama was very recently First Lady, was historic from the moment she entered office as the first black First Lady in our country's history, so she is still a well known quantity.   Betty Ford is certainly accomplished, and has well known moments as First Lady, but I don't think she has gotten the same kind of historic appraisal as Roosevelt or even Obama. 

That makes sense.  I agree she hasn't had the same historic focus.  But we still have the Betty Ford Center, I think. 

• Love 3

I thought the mouth thing with Viola Davis was so off-putting. Also, the age difference was noticeable. she is a great actress. she kind of has the voice thing down, but, not right for the part, opposite, the noticeably younger, Barack. I thought the other two ladies were much better, especially Michele Pfeiffer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I understand why they included the Obamas, but it felt too soon to make movies and tv shows about them.

The Roosevelt story is interesting, but it felt like they were more focused on Eleanor’s overbite than her performance. It was just too distracting. 

Of the three stories, the Betty Ford story was the one I enjoyed the most. Everyone did a good job and I could have watched that alone. 

If they come back with another season of this, I’d love to see First Ladies prior to the Roosevelts portrayed. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

If they come back with another season of this, I’d love to see First Ladies prior to the Roosevelts portrayed. 

They could do an entire season based on Woodrow Wilson's three First Ladies: his first wife Ellen who died during his presidency, his daughter Margaret who took over the role temporarily, and finally his second wife Edith (herself a widow) who spent over a year as arguably our first female President.

Heck, they could get a whole episode out of the mini-scandal that erupted when Woodrow and Edith were engaged and had dinner at the White House; The Washington Post meant to report "The President gave himself up for the time being to entertaining his fiancée.", but someone messed up and instead typed "The President gave himself up for the time being to entering his fiancée." Oops.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

The Roosevelt story is interesting, but it felt like they were more focused on Eleanor’s overbite than her performance. It was just too distracting. 

Well, now there are two out of three stories focused more on dentition than storytelling.

I have to say it didn't bother me as much with Eleanor.  She was very noted for that overbite.  Perhaps they should have used prosthetic teeth for Viola Davis as well. 

• Love 3

Well, now there are two out of three stories focused more on dentition than storytelling.

I have to say it didn't bother me as much with Eleanor.  She was very noted for that overbite.  Perhaps they should have used prosthetic teeth for Viola Davis as well. 

As distracting as I found Viola’s mouth thing, I was more distracted by Gillian’s entire look as Eleanor, which bordered on caricature to me. They got everything right so far with Michelle’s casting as Betty though.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I normally love Viola Davis, but this was just bad.  I mean where was the director on the set to say tone down the mouth thing if she couldn’t figure it out herself.  It’s beyond distracting. They also cast an almost 57 year old Viola to play a 44 year old Michelle and a 41 year old to play a 47 year old Obama? That is a weird casting choice to put together. I really think this is first bad acting I’ve ever seen from Viola Davis or should I say bad acting choice,because the mouth thing was so off-putting I really never got into her scenes enough to judge the actual acting.  Terrible, just terrible.

The thing that kills me is the EYEBROWS!

4 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I understand why they included the Obamas, but it felt too soon to make movies and tv shows about them.

The casting just feels so wrong.  I'm not American, so it's easier for me to buy into Gillian and Michelle Pfeiffer as their roles, I guess.  We know wayyyyyyy too much about Michelle and Barack for this to feel real.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The thing that kills me is the EYEBROWS!

OMG Yes, between the mouth and the eyebrows I wasn’t sure where to look.  I’m not sure who made these stylistic choices but that wasn’t it. I was born in the 80s so have no reference for Betty and Eleanor really just from pictures, but they just got Michelle’s character wrong visually.  I really can’t even comment on the acting because I couldn’t get through it. Again I think Viola Davis is a great actress and I’m not sure if they should have just picked someone else or just let her leave off what they perceived as Michelle mannerisms, but I can’t believe this was the final edit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don’t know what Viola was doing with her mouth but it was so annoying and distracting I could barely watch her on the screen. I had to FF a lot of the Obama scenes. Whoever was Barack didn’t really pull it off either. I like Viola but she was the wrong choice for this.

I liked the Roosevelt stuff. I have an odd fascination with that era.

The Ford stuff was pretty good too. 

The Obama stuff would’ve probably been better with different actors, but like others said it kind of feels too soon for them to be a part of this.

I’ll keep watching for now.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 4
On 4/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

It's up now on the Showtime app.

I loved most of the portrayals except maybe Dick Cheney's, and he wasn't on the screen long enough to make a real impression. The actress playing Laura Bush seemed more old and frail than the real Laura Bush. The actors playing Barack Obama and Donald Rumsfeld brought their real-life counterparts to mind immediately, particularly Rumsfeld's smug arrogance and Barack Obama's casual coolness. I got much less of that with Aaron Eckhardt as Gerald Ford or Keifer Sutherland as Franklin Roosevelt. They weren't BAD portrayals necessarily, but I didn't get a sense that I was actually watching the person. This may not be a handicap for the show, as FDR, Gerald Ford, and Barack Obama aren't the protagonists, but supporting characters.

Viola Davis holding her mouth weirdly was kind of distracting. I've never really seen video of Eleanor Roosevelt or Betty Ford so I can't speak to their impressions, but all three women gave excellent performances. I'd be surprised if Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't win an Emmy.

The Fords actually owned their own home in Alexandria, Va.

Viola Davis is an Executive Producer on this project, so she helped get it off the ground and therefore, I fear, was always destined to play Michelle Obama - I doubt anyone else was even considered.  It's a shame as every review I have read has named her as the weakest part of this show, and we all know she's a power house actor, so what a disappointment this is.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I enjoy reading biographies of the First Ladies and I love a good biopic, so I was excited for this and enjoyed it.  I liked the scene of Laura Bush giving Michelle a tour of the White House and can imagine how surreal that would be, and also how excited the staff was. I did not like the contortions Viola Davis was doing with her mouth, it was very distracting and unnecessary.  I thought the actor playing with Obama did an okay job and I didn't really notice their age difference, but their story was definitely the weakest.

I thought Gillian Anderson was believable as Eleanor and I'm interested to see where the story goes with her basically building her own life in the White House. Before he got polio Eleanor found out FDR was having an affair and was going to leave him, but her mother-in-law (a force of nature) said that a divorce would ruin his career and begged her to stay, and they basically worked out an agreement to stay married. Then he got sick and she was his strongest supporter, but they also had separate lives.

I know the least about Betty Ford and was reading her wiki page during the show. I had no idea she was a dancer in her youth, and such an activist though of course I've heard of the Betty Ford clinic.  I agree Michelle Pfieffer was the strongest of the three portrayals.  I live in the DC area and during one of the transitions from Eleanor to Betty in 1973 they showed a flash of the FDR memorial, which I thought was odd because that memorial wasn't built until 1997, but that is probably just me being nit-picky.

• Love 2

Oh my gosh. You all really weren't kidding about how ridiculous Viola comes off in this role. I hadn't watched this premiere yet and was planning to this weekend, but after seeing this clip I think I'll pass on subjecting myself to this level of cringe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ugh, this is really dreadful. The reviews weren't good, but I thought surely it couldn't be THAT bad. Oh, it's that bad.

I was really looking forward to this when it was announced, as all three actresses are amazing. I was a little iffy on Viola Davis -- she's great, but she seemed too old for Michelle Obama. The thing about the Obamas that was notable and appealing for many voters was their youth. The were (relatively) young and glamorous and had that youthful, idealistic energy about them. They were equals, partners. Now, Viola Davis isn't exactly a tired old hag, but she's clearly in her 50s, so we're losing some of what made Michelle Obama different and appealing. Not to mention that she is clearly a good decade older than O-T Fagbenle and seemed in some of those scenes where she was chastising Barack about the secret service more like a nagging big sister than a wife. And for heaven's sake...WHAT IS WITH HER MOUTH? I mean, Michelle Obama has that slightly slurry "overbite" S sound when she speaks, but it is barely noticeable. What is Viola Davis doing? They way she lisps and rolls her lips back and pinches her mouth. Gah, it is so weird and off-putting, not to mention having very, very little to do with the way Mrs. Obama actually speaks. She's a great actress, but she is just not good here.

And Gillian Anderson...she was so good as Thatcher and really showed she was good with real people and different accents, but she's totally missed out on Eleanor's distinctive patrician accent. It kind of wanders in and out from scene to scene. It's not good. (I do like to see Jackie Earle Haley getting work, though. Yes, I'm a 70s kid.)

I knew little about Betty Ford, so I *am* enjoying that segment. I'm thinking I will wait until all episodes are released and then just watch the Betty Ford bits and FF thru the rest.

Edited by bourbon
  • Love 6

What was Viola trying to with that mouth thing? It was very weird and very distracting. I really liked the servants' reactions and excitement at meeting Michelle. 

I wish someone else was playing Eleanor Roosevelt. Gillian Anderson played Thatcher the woman just had a stroke and wasn't doing any favors for Eleanor which disappointed me. Eleanor was an incredible woman and first lady. The places and people that she visited no one had ever seen that before from a First Lady.  

I agree Michelle Pfeiffer was the strongest. I really felt like watch Betty Ford. Her energy, drinking and outspokenness. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, and incredibly influential. Some may not realize that breast cancer was not something that women were open about at that time. It was kept secret. Mrs. Ford, whose cancer was detected while she was First Lady, made the decision to talk about it publicly. There was a large increase in the number of women who had mammograms. Her openness about her treatment saved lives. Similarly, her treatment for alcoholism, although President Ford was out of office by that time.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, Goshengir1 said:

I know the least about Betty Ford and was reading her wiki page during the show. I had no idea she was a dancer in her youth, and such an activist though of course I've heard of the Betty Ford clinic.  I agree Michelle Pfieffer was the strongest of the three portrayals.  I live in the DC area and during one of the transitions from Eleanor to Betty in 1973 they showed a flash of the FDR memorial, which I thought was odd because that memorial wasn't built until 1997, but that is probably just me being nit-picky.

You can add me to the nit-picky brigade. I absolutely noticed that and it bothered me. That's a fairly glaring error for a series based on actual events. Are there no fact checkers on this production? A simple Google search for when the memorial was constructed would have taken less than a minute. 

I can't get over the eyebrows on Viola Davis. Why?!? What were the hair and make-up people thinking? Michelle Obama's eyebrows don't look like that!

Michelle Pfeiffer's performance is the best thing about this show. Very nuanced.

• Love 7
On 4/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Viola Davis holding her mouth weirdly was kind of distracting

Yes.  Agreed.  Viola Davis is an exceptional talent.  But the lips thing is really historically wrong.  She is supposed to be Michelle Obama...who never did the "lips thing".  Why did the director allow this?

• Love 4
On 4/19/2022 at 3:46 AM, Marley said:

I liked the Roosevelt stuff. I have an odd fascination with that era.

I am too, especially after picking up one volume of The Secret Diary of Harold L. Ickes at a second-hand book store.  Some on amazon, but pretty pricey.  I borrowed most of volumes from libraries.
He's gossipy, and lots of stuff on all the people who lived in the White House.  Eleanor had Joseph Lash, her buddy, there, and FDR's secretary Missy LeHand lived there, and it was rather like a hotel.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, atomic said:

Oh my gosh. You all really weren't kidding about how ridiculous Viola comes off in this role. I hadn't watched this premiere yet and was planning to this weekend, but after seeing this clip I think I'll pass on subjecting myself to this level of cringe.

Good decision.  I finally got around to watching and S1E01 was a one and done for me.  I agree that Michelle Pfieffer was good but did they really need to show her drinking in. every. scene?   We get it; Betty had a drinking problem.  Hasn't everyone heard of the Betty Ford clinic?  

As interesting as Betty's story is/was it's just not enough to justify sitting through 57 year old Viola thinking she is 42 year old Michelle Obama and of course the bizarre choices with her mouth.  I see her name all over this show so I guess it was a way to cast herself and it feels almost like a vanity project.  Those scenes are the reason I'm out.  

• Love 2
On 4/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Heck, they could get a whole episode out of the mini-scandal that erupted when Woodrow and Edith were engaged and had dinner at the White House; The Washington Post meant to report "The President gave himself up for the time being to entertaining his fiancée.", but someone messed up and instead typed "The President gave himself up for the time being to entering his fiancée." Oops.

I read that a remark going around at the time, was "When President Wilson proposed, Mrs, Galt was so surprised, she fell out of bed,"

• LOL 6

Just watched this tonight and I really liked it!  lol.  I noticed the mouth thing with Viola, but just thought that was a Viola thing, not her trying to imitate Michelle Obama!    I thought the actor playing Barack Obama had his speaking cadence down very well and I noticed his use of “well, look …” which I often noticed with Obama.  I didn’t notice the age difference, but now I will pay more attention.

Michelle Pfeiffer’s portrayal of Betty Ford is good and even though I was a teen then, I didn’t know she had a dance background, either.  My mom really admired Betty Ford for her forthrightness.

I love learning about the Roosevelts and have great admiration for Eleanor.  Gillian seems to keep tucking her chin under to portray “something” about her.  Not sure what.  lol.   She’s also thinner than most photos I have seen of her, but perhaps Eleanor put on weight later in life.

I’m looking forward to the other episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Thumper said:

Gillian seems to keep tucking her chin under to portray “something” about her.  Not sure what.  lol.   She’s also thinner than most photos I have seen of her, but perhaps Eleanor put on weight later in life.

Eleanor was also 5'10" and Gillian is...shorter than that. And much slimmer. IIRC Gillian may have worn some sort of padding when she portrayed Mageratert Thatcher in "The Crown" (I still can't decide whether that performance  was great or horrible) but here she wore looser clothes, which was the style at the time anyway.

Edited by marinw
  • Useful 1