Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: It's Agony and I'm Ravenous

• Start Topic

Eve struggles to identify her lead in The Twelve; Villanelle gets her mojo back -- she decides to be good by embracing what she's good at: killing; Carolyn discovers an old acquaintance in Cuba and decides to go rogue.

Available on AMC+ now.

Great that they finally got Villanelle and Carolyn on the same path. I enjoyed their very colourful scenes. The locations and sets are still the best thing about this show.

Eve and Helene, I don't know. Do you guys think that's well written or just overcompensating for something? Or is it Eve playing the game the way she thinks in hindsight she should've played it with Villanelle?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Two things: laughed my ass off at Helene and Eve’s super awkward bath and Villanelle’s dare to Carolyn to do air guitar.

Also, I’m glad Villanelle’s born again phase is over and she’s back to wearing fabulously loud pantsuits. Her in those tshirts and camping shorts just looked wrong.

• Love 15
On 3/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, TVbitch said:

This is the first episode this season that I thought had that Killing Eve groove, and I enjoyed it (even though I still don't entirely know what is going on!). 

I miss so much on every episode of this show, and so I consult the forum to see what I didn't notice, and what others did.   I really appreciate everyone catching what I don't.     

Is Konstantin starting to imitate Yoda?   

You have to admit the person torturing The Twelve is very inventive.   Shoving his toes up his nose was certainly creative.  

Villanelle is certainly in fine form tonight.    At last, we get some answers. 

I love Carolyn's house in Cuba.    Carolyn's air guitar is fantastic.   

I think Helene's right, Villanelle is excitement for Eve, but so is Helene.   Eve is so eager to be in action, instead of her previous job sitting at a desk in London. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

So happy Konstantin and his laugh is back. I missed him.  Still not sure what is going on with Eve and Helene but loved seeing Villanelle and Carolyn working together. 

Who was the guy they saw in the restaurant? He looks familiar but I don't remember who he was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jqdeco said:

Who was the guy they saw in the restaurant? He looks familiar but I don't remember who he was.

I don't remember who he was (aside from Carolyn saying he's an old flame), but he's also the guy Eve was tracking through those photographs in Paris.

I still feel like the show is treading water, waiting for the last two episodes, if not the last one, to finally wrap things up.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, Aulty said:

Eve and Helene, I don't know. Do you guys think that's well written or just overcompensating for something? Or is it Eve playing the game the way she thinks in hindsight she should've played it with Villanelle?

Eve is playing the game the way she remembered Villanelle playing it with her.  But she's doing it really badly.

• Love 7

(aside from Carolyn saying he's an old flame), but he's also the guy Eve was tracking through those photographs in Paris.

There's a theory over on reddit that Carolyn is Villanelle's mother and that guy is her father.

I don't know either. Eve seems desperate to me if she's now trying to seduce Helene. Helene doesn't come across to me as being vulnerable in that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm still enjoying it although I'm not breathless with anticipation each Sunday night like I was for previous seasons. 

While I love Konstantin, I wish they wouldn't devote so much time to Pam's storyline. If it isn't connected to the larger narrative, I don't care. When they announced that this would be the final season, they indicated that they were exploring certain spin-off ideas. If this is the direction they're thinking of taking said spin-off, I think it will bomb spectacularly. 

I absolutely adored seeing Fiona and Jodie play off each other so extensively in this episode. It really did feel a bit like a season 1 episode with those 2. I know she has been nominated for each season previously but I REALLY hope Emmy voters don't forget about Fiona Shaw this year. 

I feel like Eve is "playing" Helene rather than having some long-awaited sexual awakening. But Helene is not gullible enough to fall for it. Does Eve think she will spill all based on a (hysterically awkward) bath and a kiss? I can't wait to see what form of torture Villanelle has in store for Helene when she realizes that she's gotten further with Eve than she has. 😉

Now that we're officially halfway through the season, they really do need to get the core four (or three if Konstantin is going to continue being the Assassin Professor) on the same page and in the same room. 

• Love 6
On 3/16/2022 at 9:16 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I miss so much on every episode of this show, and so I consult the forum to see what I didn't notice, and what others did.   I really appreciate everyone catching what I don't.     

I have to watch every episode twice - once on DVR delay on Sunday night and again via streaming with closed captioning on Monday to get every little detail. The audio when it airs on BBC America always seems horribly garbled to me. Or maybe I'm just getting old. 👵

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I have to watch every episode twice - once on DVR delay on Sunday night and again via streaming with closed captioning on Monday to get every little detail. The audio when it airs on BBC America always seems horribly garbled to me. Or maybe I'm just getting old. 👵

I watch on BBC America and always watch with captions on. (And then I always go to watch Jeopardy the next night and realize I forgot to turn them off...)

16 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I'm still enjoying it although I'm not breathless with anticipation each Sunday night like I was for previous seasons. 

The Weakest Link was on at the same time last night and I had a brief debate with myself over which I wanted to save to watch on demand tonight. I watched this (obviously) and I may or may not get around to watching TWL.

• Love 1

Well, I'm still confused as hell.  I know who the players are (and I don't get the point of Pam being a part of this) and I still don't understand the motivations or what is really going on here. 

Is the guy who escaped on the scooter (wearing a pink suit no less) one of The Twelve?  He is apparently yet another one of Carolyn's past lovers.   And Carolyn was talking about Villenelle in the orphanage, and wasn't that in Russia?  Which means that Carolyn was working in Russia at the time... who was Carolyn REALLY working for?  Was she always a Russian agent who became the mole in MI5 or just the opposite?  And I still have no idea why Eve is hunting The Twelve.  

I loved Villenelle's Cuba pantsuit (it was very vintage 70s looking) and yeah, that apartment!  I can't figure out how Carolyn would've survived Villenelle clonking her on the head with that wrench though.  That would have caused a serious injury even if it wasn't meant to kill her.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

(and I don't get the point of Pam being a part of this) 

[...]

I loved Villenelle's Cuba pantsuit (it was very vintage 70s looking) and yeah, that apartment! 

Now I kinda want a makeover montage where V upgrades Pam's look. She can descend the stairs to "Kiss Me."

shes all that film GIF

2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I can't figure out how Carolyn would've survived Villenelle clonking her on the head with that wrench though.  That would have caused a serious injury even if it wasn't meant to kill her.  

Head injuries are never a big deal on TV...unless it fits the plot.

• Love 2

Maybe they are focusing on Pam's evolution as assassin as how they evolved Villanelle?  Bringing her out of her dark and into her light, by allowing her psychopathic tendencies to blossom.  That she's not truly happy unless she can fulfill her murderous urges.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Maybe they are focusing on Pam's evolution as assassin as how they evolved Villanelle?  Bringing her out of her dark and into her light, by allowing her psychopathic tendencies to blossom.  That she's not truly happy unless she can fulfill her murderous urges.

Is any of this new information about Villanelle, though? We know she enjoys killing. We know she's been trained for it since she was a child. We saw Konstantin as her handler. I'm perplexed at what Pam is supposed to do as a plot point here. Show that there's always a need for cold-blooded killers? 

• Love 3

No, not new information about Villanelle, but seeing Pam following Villanelle's path.  Sorry, should have clarified:  "Bringing "Pam" out of her dark and into her light, by allowing "Pam's" psychopathic tendencies to blossom.  That Pam's not truly happy unless she can fulfill her murderous urges."  By making Pam a hired assassin, it allows her to follow through on those urges, just like they did with Villanelle.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, roughing it said:

No, not new information about Villanelle, but seeing Pam following Villanelle's path.  Sorry, should have clarified:  "Bringing "Pam" out of her dark and into her light, by allowing "Pam's" psychopathic tendencies to blossom.  That Pam's not truly happy unless she can fulfill her murderous urges."  By making Pam a hired assassin, it allows her to follow through on those urges, just like they did with Villanelle.

The problem that I see with this though is that Pam doesn't have an ounce of the charisma that Villanelle has. So for me her blossoming is just one big, time-wasting nothingburger. YMMV. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

The problem that I see with this though is that Pam doesn't have an ounce of the charisma that Villanelle has.

...yet!  But Pam hasn't had the freedom to fulfill the murderous tendencies, but when she does, maybe that will all come out.  Especially now since she got rid of her oppressive brother.  Pam is evolving.  See her joy on the carnival ride.  She's starting to transform.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, roughing it said:

...yet!  But Pam hasn't had the freedom to fulfill the murderous tendencies, but when she does, maybe that will all come out.  Especially now since she got rid of her oppressive brother.  Pam is evolving.  See her joy on the carnival ride.  She's starting to transform.

Except I doubt that Villanelle was ever that blank of a slate. From the accountings we’ve gotten of her past, she always had that personality, it was just that it was volatile and destructive to everyone around her.

• Love 3
On 3/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, 12catcrazy said:

Well, I'm still confused as hell.  I know who the players are (and I don't get the point of Pam being a part of this) and I still don't understand the motivations or what is really going on here. 

Is the guy who escaped on the scooter (wearing a pink suit no less) one of The Twelve?  He is apparently yet another one of Carolyn's past lovers. ....

I keep seeing rumors regarding a spinoff of Killing Eve. I wouldn't mind seeing a show set in 1980 starring a young Carolyn -- spying, shagging, and slaughtering her way through exotic locales. If they cast Carolyn with the right actor, that shit would be epic. It would be even better if they could afford some good late 70s/early 80s music from both sides of the pond for the soundtrack.

• Love 5
On 3/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, dubbel zout said:

But who cares? Unless she's the daughter of one of the Twelve and wants revenge or something, she takes away time from Eve, Villanelle, and Carolyn.

When we see Pam laughing on the carnival ride, I said to myself,  oh come on,what are we doing here?!  Didn't want/need to see it thank you. Pam may be a potentially interesting character(I did love when she killed her disgusting brother), but I agree,it takes time away from the main characters.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Valny said:

Pam may be a potentially interesting character(I did love when she killed her disgusting brother), but I agree,it takes time away from the main characters.

And, it's a sloppy plot.  So Pam kills her brother, and just leaves the funeral home.  So...  no one is looking for her?  No one suspects her of the murder, or is worried that she may have also been murdered?  Is she in England, or in Russia? 

The only redeeming part of Pam's storyline is where Konstantin tries to dress her like Villanelle, in those crazy outfits, which Pam just rolls her eyes at.

• Love 4

This season is not doing it for me. I don’t know if it’s the directing, editing, or what. I’m confused and caring less and less about Eve, the title character! Villanelle and Carolyn continue to be compelling characters and I love them together but what are they doing? Do I care?  

If the show had started like this I would be out after the second episode. But it didn’t so I’m in to the bitter end. Eve will finally die, right? That’s the title of the show after all. 

Damn, I wish Phoebe Waller-Bridge would have come back to finish the series.