Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Finally getting around to reading Stephen King's 11/22/63.  I have a hardback copy and teeny-tiny hands, and that book is a MONSTAH, but I'm really enjoying it and moving through at quite a brisk clip.  I haven't read much of Uncle Stevie's more recent stuff, but the callbacks in this one to his familiar previous works have given me quite the case of the fuzzies.  Ironically, I'm re-reading Tabitha King's One on One in tandem (I absently picked it off the shelf to take on a recent business trip, and on return it found itself as my current, urm, bathroom book).  It's one of my favorites, literary comfort food if you will, and is set in Nodd's Ridge, just a few towns over from Castle Rock 🙂

• Love 2

I’ve begun Go Ask Ali by Ali Wentworth. It’s supposed to be humorous, but I’m about a hundred pages in and haven’t lol’d yet. 

I also got Where the Crawdads sings by Delia Owen. Has anyone on here read it? 

I saw Ali on GMA promoting her book, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why she is noteworthy other than being married to George Stephanopoulos, who looks various shades of embarrassed when she speaks.  Robin and Michael were laughing as if her every comment was gold; I don't think they get paid enough.

• LOL 1

I liked Ali Wentworth when she was on In Living Color back in the day.  She was a pretty good sketch comedy comedienne. 

When she married George I was like "huh, not a pairing I would have ever thought of in a million years."

• Love 3

Started Andrew Rannells memoir. I'm just a few chapters in but really enjoying it so far. It's bringing back memories of being a struggling college student and the theater scene of the 1990's and early 2000's.

ETA: read a few more chapters. Stuff got serious fast. Yikes

Edited by Snow Apple

Office recently moved and my commute is longer than it used to be.  So I decided to listen to an audio book and decided to choose a classic.  I picked “Rebecca”.  I’m about halfway through and I suppose the word I would use to describe it is “irritating”.

I’m annoyed that the new Mrs. de Winter doesn’t stand up for herself against the sinister housekeeper and assert her authority as the lady of the house.  I’m annoyed that we haven’t yet learned her first name (she says that it is unusual and that Maxim always called her by her first name during their courtship lunches... I imagine that it is Daphne).  Above all, I am angry at how this housekeeper Mrs. Danvers treats her.

I wonder if a book like this about a weak woman would be written today, let alone achieve “classic” status.

• Love 1

Bear in mind that the second Mrs. DeWinter was very very young when she met Maxim, and had almost zero experience in the world of dealing with servants (except as one).  That plus her naturally meek demeanor and the dominating presence of the apparently well-loved Rebecca doomed her not to be able to stand up to Mrs. Danvers or the other staff.  She doesn't know how to assert her authority because she's never had any, and Maxim is no help.  I get irritated with her, too, at times, but I can generally temper that, having been in similar situations.  I'm not nearly as meek as she is, but I do tend to hold off a bit with the authority thing until I've gotten the lay of the land.

Rebecca is one of my favorite books.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Bear in mind that the second Mrs. DeWinter was very very young when she met Maxim, and had almost zero experience in the world of dealing with servants (except as one).  That plus her naturally meek demeanor and the dominating presence of the apparently well-loved Rebecca doomed her not to be able to stand up to Mrs. Danvers or the other staff.  She doesn't know how to assert her authority because she's never had any, and Maxim is no help.  I get irritated with her, too, at times, but I can generally temper that, having been in similar situations.  I'm not nearly as meek as she is, but I do tend to hold off a bit with the authority thing until I've gotten the lay of the land.

Mine too, I read it every spring even though I think Maxim is a sanctimonious ass and as you say, no help at all to his young wife.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
On 3/16/2019 at 12:05 PM, helenamonster said:

Just finished: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. I found the story engaging for the most part and thought it had some very interesting twists and turns--nothing earth-shatteringly shocking but enough to keep me surprised.

What a coincidence, because I just read their first book together, The Wife Between Us, and was coming here to post about it. I was on a three hour flight last night and I tend to like reading thrillers and such when flying, and I had hopes for this since there were all these quotes raving about the surprises and twists. I ended up disappointed. The first twist, that they take 150 pages to get to, I figured out in maybe 50 pages, and the remaining 100 until the "big reveal" felt like a slog. The book goes on for another 250 pages after that and I was not at all shocked by the "big final twist" either, which I guessed almost immediately upon "introduction" (sort of - it's complicated) of the involved character.

I found it an okay book overall. There is a creepiness involved with a certain relationship that's nicely done. But I had been hoping for the fun of being truly surprised.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 6:38 AM, Browncoat said:

I appreciate this, it does put her in a bit of a different light.  I think I am judging her by today's standards as well and that's probably not particularly fair to her.

Just got to the part with the aftermath of the disastrous fancy dress party and she just confronted Mrs. Danvers and told her off a little.  So maybe there's hope for her?

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, Browncoat said:

Bear in mind that the second Mrs. DeWinter was very very young when she met Maxim, and had almost zero experience in the world of dealing with servants (except as one).  That plus her naturally meek demeanor and the dominating presence of the apparently well-loved Rebecca doomed her not to be able to stand up to Mrs. Danvers or the other staff.  She doesn't know how to assert her authority because she's never had any, and Maxim is no help.

Maxim married the second Mrs. DeWinter precisely because she was Rebecca's polar opposite in temperament. He's an asshole, but he has to be for the story du Maurier wanted to tell.

Hitchcock's movie version is very good, even if he had to change a few key plot points.

• Love 4

My favorite version of Rebecca is the 1997 BBC miniseries with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance, and Diana Rigg.  Pretty faithful to the novel and also gives you a good visual of the age difference between the DeWinters.   Mrs. DeWinter is so young and sheltered, and Maxim is still too damaged to be of any help.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My favorite version of Rebecca is the 1997 BBC miniseries with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance, and Diana Rigg.  Pretty faithful to the novel and also gives you a good visual of the age difference between the DeWinters.   Mrs. DeWinter is so young and sheltered, and Maxim is still too damaged to be of any help.

I like that one, too, because it's so faithful to the novel.

• Love 2

I just finished Midnight in St. Petersburg by Vanora Bennett. IRL her Great Great Uncle worked for Faberge in Russia during the revolutions in the early 1900s. She has created a historical fiction novel that weaves him in as a character along with some known names. (Rasputin, the Tsar Nicholas and Alexandria...) There are tales of the difficulties of the time as well as some artistry of leuthian works (violin making). There is even a cameo by a Stradivarius. All this is tied in with a  romance and the poverty and trying times of this era. I liked it. 

• Love 2

Just finished The Weight of Lies by Emily Carpenter. It's a suspense novel with gothic elements -- a mysterious island, a spooky old hotel. It's pretty good! I only half-guessed some of the big reveals. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Just finished The Weight of Lies by Emily Carpenter. It's a suspense novel with gothic elements -- a mysterious island, a spooky old hotel. It's pretty good! I only half-guessed some of the big reveals. 

Just bought it. I can't wait to start reading it! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I really should too. It's one of my rites of spring.

Good for you, peaches, for reading the classics. I've read all the classics I'm going to and actually will be picking up My life as a white trash zombie at the library today. 😁

• LOL 2

I'm reading In The Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. I grew up reading about Fudge, one of my favorite childhood characters/series. Now, I've been diving into her adult books. I read Summer Sisters a few years ago. I enjoy coming-of-age books, although I don't usually read book set in this time frame (In The Unlikely Event is set in the 50s, and based on true events that happened during Blume's teen years - that's what makes it feel so real). 

Edited by thecatmeows

For those interested in a fresh take on Robin Hood, I'm reading Sherwood by Meagan Spooner, and the twist is that in this version Marian is actually masquerading as Robin Hood because the real Robin died in the Crusades. It's pretty good!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, Browncoat said:

After all the talk about Rebecca, I started a re-read yesterday.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

I really should too. It's one of my rites of spring.

Just finished Rebecca.  I enjoyed it, despite my initial irritation.  I really despised the Favell and Mrs. Danvers characters, although I think I was supposed to. 

Questions:

1) Why didn’t the police arrest Favell for attempted extortion after the failed blackmailing?

2) Are we supposed to assume that Favell and Mrs. Danvers burned the house down?  If so, I am annoyed that they presumably get away with it.  

3) Why didn’t we ever learn the wife’s first name?  I still imagine it to be Daphne.

• Love 1

I just finished it, too!  As for your questions, @blackwing, here's my take:

Spoiler

1.  No idea.  I'm not sure what the laws might have been at that time regarding attempted extortion, or what kind of authority Colonel Julyan might have had.  I generally think that since Favell's scheme clearly wasn't going to work, Julyan and Maxim just decided to ignore it.  Or perhaps if Baker's information had been different, they might have pursued it.

2.  Yes.  And with no evidence and no proof, they did get away with it.  And with all the fireplaces and smoking and whatnot, it's very easy to rule a house fire as accidental.  There might have been an enquiry, but no one saw Favell again after they left Baker's house in London, and Mrs. Danvers had disappeared.  I was glad, though, that Frank had Jasper.

3. I suppose some things are best left to the imagination.  A timid, mousy, young girl with an unusual  name -- it could be almost anything.

The short timeline is always a little heartbreaking to me.  Just as she's getting used to Manderley, it is taken away from her.  I wonder, too, what became of Frank, Beatrice, and Giles.  Especially Frank. 

• Love 3

Regarding #2: 

Spoiler

Also remember that there were reasons Maxim would not have wanted to push for a finding of arson. First, if he had an insurance policy on the house, he himself would have been the prime suspect, as the policy beneficiary (and would have been out the insurance payment). Second, Rebecca's death might have come under scrutiny again.

I thought it was fitting that the house burned down. Maxim deserved it, and so did his second wife. He's a murderer, and she chose to stay with him knowing what he is. I don't care that Rebecca knew that she was going to die soon anyway and "manipulated" him into killing her. He didn't know she was going to be dead soon. He believed he was killing a pregnant woman with a normal lifespan ahead of her. He didn't act in self-defense. He just got angry...fuck him.

• Love 1

Also,

Spoiler

I don't know how divorce laws worked in England then, but he might have lost Manderley in the settlement, and he certainly would never have risked that.  But once Rebecca's body was found, Maxim was losing Manderley -- Favell and Mrs. Danvers knew how important it was, and made sure of that loss.

• Love 2

Also

Spoiler

She told him she was pregnant by Favell, but the law would have said the baby was his.  Even with a divorce, I assumed there was an entail and the pretend child would have inherited Manderley.  

Regarding number 2

Spoiler

Yes, Favell knew Mrs. Danvers would do something crazy, but all he did was tell her the results of the doctor visit. I don’t think he could be held responsible for arson, and I always assumed Mrs. Danvers died in the fire.  I don’t think he had much left after realizing Rebecca thought he was just as bad as Maxim, and Maxim may have just decided it wasn’t worth getting him thrown into prison, considering he just got away with murder.

Rebecca isn’t currently on my list of “must re-reads,” but I might have to add it for the summer.

I finished Once Upon a River and am happy to say Diane is back after a severe sophomore slump!  Now reading Bread & Butter by Michelle Wildgen; so far it’s enjoyable.

• Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, thecatmeows said:

I'm reading In The Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. I grew up reading about Fudge, one of my favorite childhood characters/series. Now, I've been diving into her adult books. I read Summer Sisters a few years ago. I enjoy coming-of-age books, although I don't usually read book set in this time frame (In The Unlikely Event is set in the 50s, and based on true events that happened during Blume's teen years - that's what makes it feel so real). 

I read that a couple months ago!  I really enjoyed it, and was fascinated that it was based on something Judy Blume really experienced.  I also found it much better written than any of her other adult books, including Summer Sisters (which I also quite liked).  She's not getting older, she's getting better!  I'd like to visit her bookstore in Key West someday.

• Love 2

I finished Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owen. I enjoyed the story although one little part hit me a little too close to home. I had to put the book down and stifle a cry. Her descriptions of the Carolina marsh were so realistic that I could smell the saltwater in the air. 

• Love 2

Just finished An Artless Demise  by Anna Lee Huber.  Historical mystery, 7th book in the series featuring married couple who solve mysteries during the Regency period.  This was a really good installment in the series.

Also finished An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors   by Curtis Craddock.  New to me author, never heard of them before.  The book was a really good steampunk, high fantasy featuring two really good central characters and a plot that is full of court/political intrigue.

8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also finished An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors   by Curtis Craddock.

I just put this on my want to read list, thanks.

I finished  Icon, the sequel to Persona by Genevieve Valentine. These are near-future political thrillers with media manipulation and paparazzi. I enjoyed them and did not skim at all. 😁

I also finished My Life as a White Trash Zombie which was a fun romp. Evidently, this is a series but I can live with this ending so probably won't read any others. My want to read list is just too long.

Last night I started Shadowfever, #5 in the Fever series.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also finished An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors   by Curtis Craddock.  New to me author, never heard of them before.  The book was a really good steampunk, high fantasy featuring two really good central characters and a plot that is full of court/political intrigue.

I enjoyed this one as well.  Book 2 was just published this year.

A Labyrinth of Scions and Sorcery: Book Two in the Risen Kingdoms

by Curtis Craddock

I think I've found god and his name is Ray Bradbury.

Finishing up Fahrenheit 451. The end literally shook me: not the plot, but philosophy, and imagery , and allegories. I was crying, I was shaking and not because I was sad, it was just that powerful. (Disclaimer: I don't usually cry at sappy stuff while reading or watching smth I cry because of some kind of sensory overload.)

That was my first Bradbury book. I never had to read it in school. I was reading Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky (LOVE the latter, meh on the former).

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

I think I've found god and his name is Ray Bradbury.

Welcome to the club. lol Bradbury is one of my all time favorite authors. Fahrenheit 451 is absolutely brilliant and yes, life changing. 

The Martian Chronicles was my first Bradbury. Now you're making me want to reread it. I have recently reread F-451. HBO, I think it was, did a movie recently, which was pretty good, and made me want to read it again. His short stories are amazing as well. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm reading Tina Brown's Vanity Fair diaries and loving every dishy word. I work in magazines, so the inside-baseball aspect of the book doesn't bother me. And for the reviews that complain about all the name-dropping: That's the whole point!

Next up, something much more serious: The Cartel, by Don Winslow.

Edited by dubbel zout
title emphasis

I just finished Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. I thought it was pretty good and the ending was very WTF but in a good way. Plus I love when I don't see it coming.

Now onto The Huntress by Kate Quinn.

Finished Bread and Butter but ended up skimming a lot of it.  Started off entertaining enough, but quickly lost my interest.  Read Grace after Henry and enjoyed it.  Now starting A Ladder to the Sky for book club.  How angry is this book going to make me?  I hate injustice and bad people doing terrible things.

I'm reading Circle of the Moon by Faith Hunter. I'm a little confused because I thought the last book in the series, Flame in the Dark, was the last of a trilogy with the way it ended. The ending is kind of glossed over in Circle of the Moon, so I kind of feel like somebody changed their mind.  

14 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm reading Circle of the Moon by Faith Hunter

I just had to look this up. I didn't know this was in the Jane Yellowrock world, which I love, so I had to put it on my want to read list. Thank you.

I just read American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson (it's her debut novel), and I really liked it. She combines real-life history (the story of the late Burkina Faso president, Thomas Sankara) and a fictionalized spy thriller (a black female American spy infiltrates his inner circle) with some coming of age story and family drama thrown in. It sounds like too much, but the author weaves it all together seamlessly. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Useful 1