Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Galactic Barrier

• Start Topic

Starfleet is weak... Kirk made it through the barrier without all these modifications 1000 years ago... If these idiots still remember Archer, how can they think Discovery is the first to leave the galaxy??? 

ETA: The Klingon Bird of Prey hunting Kirk also made the return trip. Also TOS!Kelvans crossed INTO the Milky Way from Andromeda.

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Okay, people we’ve got work to do! Detmer, set a course for that planet!  Owosekun, continue monitoring for any signs of life!  Oh, by the way crew, everyone and everything you love is probably going to be destroyed back home in a few days.  Now, let’s focus, people!

Burnham telling the president of the Federation how to run things sure is… something.  Particularly when her management decisions this episode feel kind of like Michael Scott in space.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Well, damn!  Mysterious alien species guys were like "Oh, you want to try and take us out?  Well, we're coming for all of your main planets now, Federation!  You come a the king, you better not miss!" about Tarka's failed attempt.  Obviously, I really doubt Earth or any of the other home worlds will get taken out; seems too dark even for this show; but I guess that's one way to raise the stakes.  Kind of debating the decision to tell the rest of the crew though.  Usually I'm all for honesty, but this does seems like something that might put more pressure on the crew and cause them to make mistakes.  Then again, had they not told them, they would probably somehow still find out, because secrets never stay hidden in TV Land!

Looks like all of the stuff with Booker and Tarka was just to try and add more layers to the latter, which I'm not sure can work at this point (probably should have happened in an earlier episode), but Shawn Doyle did a job at least.  The voice of his friend (or was he someone more?) sounded it very familiar and according to the credits it was good old Osric Chau a.k.a. Ryan Choi from the Arrowverse and Kevin Tran from Supernatural!

Also spotted veteran Canadian character actor Hiro Kanagawa as the linguist!  Always good seeing him.

I was confused by that scene between Saru and Bryce.  Is Bryce leaving Discovery for good to hang out with Dr. David Cronenberg?  Or was it just for this mission alone? 

Oh, and Adira returns just in the nick of time too.

Saru and President T'Rina are still one of the highlights of this season.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Usually I'm all for honesty, but this does seems like something that might put more pressure on the crew and cause them to make mistakes. 

When Owo was counting down the seconds to imminent death, was the ship-wide intercom on?

• Love 1

Was Kovich's "three hour tour" remark a reference to Gilligan's Island?  I wouldn't be surprised if that damn show is still being rerun in the future, or maybe it was rebooted as Gilligan's Planet.  Wait, that was an actual cartoon.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

9 hours ago, cdnalor said:

Was Kovich's "three hour tour" remark a reference to Gilligan's Island?  I wouldn't be surprised if that damn show is still being rerun in the future, or maybe it was rebooted as Gilligan's Planet.  Wait, that was an actual cartoon.

Kovich can't go to make contact with the 10C because he's busy binge-watching 20th century television.

Maybe Kovich really couldn't go along just because of David Cronenberg's availability, but I do like the idea that Kovich has even more crazy and dangerous stuff he's dealing with a regular basis, and when we see him on Discovery that's basically him on his downtime.  I am here for that spinoff.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I was confused by that scene between Saru and Bryce.  Is Bryce leaving Discovery for good to hang out with Dr. David Cronenberg?  Or was it just for this mission alone? 

I decided eventually they were talking like it was the end because they thought there was a good chance Discovery wouldn't make it back, but I could be wrong.

Did they all forget space is three dimensional?   Couldn’t they just go above (or below) the barrier?   Unless it’s a bubble around the Milky Way… but we can see through it?    (We can certainly see other galaxies even now…)

• Love 1

Where are all the Klingons? Or did I miss them?

So does the Galactic Barrier encircle the entire Milky Way? That is a very large Barrier! And there is some random planet ouside of the Galaxy? Um, sure.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Did they all forget space is three dimensional?   Couldn’t they just go above (or below) the barrier?   Unless it’s a bubble around the Milky Way… but we can see through it?    (We can certainly see other galaxies even now…)

Even if it was a very very narrow band  it would be very very big and they don't travel at infinite warp. Maybe you can try going around a mountain range, but that would present its own problems in terms of time and supplies. Anyway, I don't think we know wtf it is, but I can't imagine that humans, Klingons, Vulcans haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Also space is five dimensional, at least. The federation does not have TARDIS class ships.

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Welcome to the Flat Galaxy Society.

TOS!Khan was a 2 dimensional thinker and that got him killed.

• LOL 3

Not much happened to move the story forward (Discovery crossed the barrier and Tarka got his programmable antimatter), but I found this episode very emotionally engaging.

First, they really got across the love (whatever form it is) between Tarka and Oros. Of course it's love, no other force drives a person like love does. And the actors sold the relationship in a very understated yet powerful way.

Secondly, the chemistry between Saru and T'Rina is off the charts. I'm really rooting for those crazy kids.

And finally, the interactions between Vance and Rillak in this episode had me forgetting that they he had a family somewhere else. I kept expecting them to say something that confirmed they were in a relationship with each other. Significant chemistry there as well.

Or maybe math ;)

Tarka + Oros = past love

Saru + T'Rina = present love

Vance + Rillak = future love

• Love 5
7 hours ago, marinw said:

Where are all the Klingons? Or did I miss them?

They’re at the disco. 

i think we’re not seeing background Klingons because they don’t want to commit to using either the Discovery makeup or a version of the TNG makeup in this time period.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Tarka + Oros = past love

Saru + T'Rina = present love

Vance + Rillak = future love

Stamats and Culbert=Long term love. They have been together (off and on) since the show began.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Starchild said:

First, they really got across the love (whatever form it is) between Tarka and Oros. Of course it's love, no other force drives a person like love does. And the actors sold the relationship in a very understated yet powerful way.

I got that too, In fact, for all the rotten things Ruon Tarka has done, I suspect he will be necessary for saving Earth and Ni'Var and will end up in that other universe with Oros when it's over. It would sort of redeem him and that would be all right with me. I just don't want him back after this season. 

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Secondly, the chemistry between Saru and T'Rina is off the charts. I'm really rooting for those crazy kids.

Saru really does deserve to be happy and they make a good couple.   

I'd also add Michael and Book to the present love, but I think their Facebook status would be "It's Complicated" right now. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, DavidJSnyder said:

i think we’re not seeing background Klingons because they don’t want to commit to using either the Discovery makeup or a version of the TNG makeup in this time period.

Good point. They have probably changed appearences about ten times by now for bizarre and convulted reasons. Maybe the Klingons are in the background and we don't recognize them as such. Also, as depressing as this is, it has been 1000 years so some of Star Trek's most iconic species may not have survived. Given the Klingon's penchant for violence and war, they may have wiped each other out. Or, they may find the new Federation too touchy-feely for their taste and don't want to participate.

I'm still wondering about the Borg, but that may be more of a Star Trek Picard issue.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1

Saru and T'Rina's slow burn is starting to bore me. Get in there, Saru! Well, as soon as things calm down...

What really surprised me though is to learn that Tarka's motivation all along has been to find the one who got away.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Affogato said:

Even if it was a very very narrow band  it would be very very big and they don't travel at infinite warp.

But they have the spore drive... they could jump to the "top" of the band, and then go forward at warp.    True... if the network doesn't exist on the other side, they'd have to warp back "down" to reach Species 10C.   OK, since time was of the essence, then straight-through is what they'd have to do.... I guess I answered my own question!

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, marinw said:

Given the  Klingon's penchant for violence and war, they may have wiped each other out.

Some of them got friendly with Cronenberg and started binge watching old TV shows together. Unfortunately, they were confused that nobody actually died on Survivor. 

So the Klingon version was reality TV

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Saru and T'Rina's slow burn is starting to bore me. Get in there, Saru!

That storyline is one big yawn for me and Mr. Chat.  It's like watching a high school drama unfolding.  There's too much discussion about everybody's damn feelings too.  Ugh.   Not everybody needs to discuss how they feel, contrary to what Burnham thinks.  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That storyline is one big yawn for me and Mr. Chat.  It's like watching a high school drama unfolding.  There's too much discussion about everybody's damn feelings too.  Ugh.   Not everybody needs to discuss how they feel, contrary to what Burnham thinks.  

Thank you!  This show is more romance-heavy than Love Island.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, jcin617 said:

But they have the spore drive... they could jump to the "top" of the band, and then go forward at warp.    True... if the network doesn't exist on the other side, they'd have to warp back "down" to reach Species 10C. 

Stamets said the network terminated 9 light years away from the barrier.

The show got cut off by the DVR a couple of minutes before it ended. Don't know whether to rewatch it on CTVSciFi on-demand or watch the last few minutes on the Monday rerun.

Wonder if the cloaking device would have made a difference in crossing the barrier.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, cdnalor said:

That was hilarious, I so badly wanted to see Kovich explaining the plot of Gilligan's Island to Saru. We've established that Kovich is a big fan of the past, I can imagine that after a busy day of doing...whatever it is that he does, he settles down for some tea and Nick at Night that is somehow still running on some intergalactic station.

I am rather town on telling the crew about what is going on back home. On the one hand, honesty is important and since this is television I am sure that the crew would find out what was happening even if Michael and the president hid it from them and that would lead to even more drama about them keeping it from them. On the other hand, I have to agree with the president that the crew being really stressed out and worried for home could impact their ability to focus on this very important mission. Look at how much trouble Book and Tarka are making because they're following their emotions, and yes Tarka is trying to justify all of this with maps and logic but its clear that this is all very much driven by his own feels. Telling everyone that their homes could be at risk could leads to some real problems, its something that should at least be discussed. 

• Love 2

The overwrought emotionalism of Discovery rears its ugly head again. Ironically, the supposedly difficult things the show spends too much time on in this ep - the DMA making it to the beloved Alpha Quadrant, and the president and Michael "working it out" - actually make their decisions *easier.* Now that the DMA is threatening heavily populated home planets, there is no choice for Discovery but to risk their lives and move forward - they may be the only solution to save their home worlds. And of course the president had to speak to the ship - it wasn't only the crew, there were many diplomats and others on board. The president *should* be the one to speak.

So all the emotion and talk-talk-talk over those factors were a waste of time. We don't need Kirk level cowboy stuff, but we could use more common sense and less touchy feely, show.

Not sure why we are provided a back story to make Tarka less of an a-hole. Fine, I guess, but combined with the above and Saru and his crush, I'm not sure if I am watching a show about exploring the universe or Love Connection.

I bet Pike would have saved us about 15-20 minutes of mush and moved us further along in the plot.

All that said, I do like Discovery and love Star Trek and this show is good. I just want it to be better.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:40 AM, paigow said:

Kirk made it through the barrier without all these modifications 1000 years ago... If these idiots still remember Archer, how can they think Discovery is the first to leave the galaxy??? 

ETA: The Klingon Bird of Prey hunting Kirk also made the return trip. Also TOS!Kelvans crossed INTO the Milky Way from Andromeda

They did say "not many" have seen what they were seeing (i.e. left the galaxy), so room was left for those achievements. Though I never saw the Archer bit because I couldn't stand Enterprise and quit watching a season in.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, ChitChat said:

There's too much discussion about everybody's damn feelings too.  Ugh. 

This is a hallmark of Discovery as a series. I was pondering whether it is because these writers are that way, or whether our culture has changed so that this type of "how I feel/me me me" introspection has become dominate and the show is reflecting that. You certainly see it in social media.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, cdnalor said:

Was Kovich's "three hour tour" remark a reference to Gilligan's Island? 

I chuckled at that. It was so subtle, would be interesting to know how many viewers caught it. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Ottis said:

So all the emotion and talk-talk-talk over those factors were a waste of time. We don't need Kirk level cowboy stuff, but we could use more common sense and less touchy feely, show

Totally agree with you on this point.  I've always been a fan of sci-fi and superhero genres and I can see that the shows of the past were very different than what we get today.  Original Star Trek and Next Gen put the plot and the situation first and the characters' stories were secondary.  They were primarily about adventure, not relationships and feelings.  Now shows like Disco and especially the CW's superhero shows have scene after scene with two characters in a room endlessly talking about themselves and their feelings.  I'm cynical enough to think that the showrunners use these scenes to use up run time as cheaply as possible to reduce the production budget.  So now I keep the remote handy and simply zip through those bits, and it doesn't seem to hurt the story at all.

• Love 3
On 2/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, catsitter said:

Why would the crew be worried about friends and family on Earth? Didn't all their friends and family die centuries ago?

For the core bridge crew group within Discovery, yes.  I'm sure that the people rounding out the crew complement within Discovery has people to say goodbye to as well as the people that the bridge group became attached to in their time in the future.