Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Mrs. Diddles

• Start Topic

Was this the season finale?  If so, it seems Sam has come a long way.  She’s off the couch.  The song she wrote and didn’t perform for Holly was touching.   

Joel seems to have come to terms with things too.  I still don’t get why he can’t find a church where all people are accepted.  They do exist.  

Omg, I love Fred!  Is Fred non-binary?  I can’t recall.  The bus ride looked awesome, though it didn’t make up for choir practice.  

They did explain why Trisha’s  husband was at choir practice.  I wonder if he and Trisha will reconcile.  

Why was Sam’s mother going into the barn?  I hope it was to reflect about Holly and not to look for booze or to harm herself.  That would be too dark for this show, right?

I can’t wait until next season.  

• Love 5

This show is so lovely. It's over too soon!

Sam singing her song and dedicating it to Joel was unbearably sweet. 

Sam's mom heading into the dark barn was ominous, and left open ended. I assume it means her sobriety is already probably over but it could go darker than that, as well. 

Tricia going to Charity's husband's place was also open ended. A little revenge boning? Go for it. 

I'm appalled at Charity's absolute lack of any apparent remorse, guilt, shame or sadness in regard to Tricia. They were supposed to be BFFs as well as partners, Charity had an affair with Tricia's husband, and yet she's acting like the offended party, snarky and defiant and petulant. Who the fuck does that? Are she and Rick still banging? 

Joel taking charge and ordering them to their separate corners was beautiful. He was so masterful! 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Sam's mom heading into the dark barn was ominous, and left open ended. I assume it means her sobriety is already probably over but it could go darker than that, as well. 

I was really worried about that. I was worried Sam had found a good place only to have to deal with more loss. And we don't know yet. Don't know about Coop and Tricia either, but it would be nice if they just became friends, or just talked like friends for that evening. 

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'm appalled at Charity's absolute lack of any apparent remorse, guilt, shame or sadness in regard to Tricia. They were supposed to be BFFs as well as partners, Charity had an affair with Tricia's husband, and yet she's acting like the offended party, snarky and defiant and petulant. Who the fuck does that? Are she and Rick still banging? 

Really seems like Charity must have hated Tricia a lot underneath to be as unapologetic as she is. She doesn't seem to think that's even an issue apart from Tricia having something to hang over her. I like Sam seeing Tricia's winning the award ruined for her.

At least Rick seems to have a heart underneath there, wanting to go to choir practice.

A friend of mine says she always gets distracted by how very very hot it seems like it must be there, so we appreciated the scene where Charity asks Sam if it's raining outside. No. LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Joel seems to have come to terms with things too.  I still don’t get why he can’t find a church where all people are accepted.  They do exist.  

I don't think that his church excluded him, he told the pastor he'd been lying to her about using the church building, and after that, he felt like he had lost his church home. She wanted him to be a lay minister because he clearly has a gift.  That verse he quoted to Charity and Tricia in trying to help them resolve their argument was beautiful and showed his understanding of the Bible.  I loved that scene. 

Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

A friend of mine says she always gets distracted by how very very hot it seems like it must be there, so we appreciated the scene where Charity asks Sam if it's raining outside. No. LOL.

Apparently they filmed in Lockport, IL in the summer, so yeah hot and sweaty out.

I was surprised they filmed there (it is a very small town like an hour outside Chicago) instead of Kansas(?) but I guess they wanted to get a lot of Chicago talent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Apparently they filmed in Lockport, IL in the summer, so yeah hot and sweaty out.

I live thisclose to Lockport so yeah, it's friggin humid and hot out in the summer.   I'm rather ashamed of myself, it took me a couple of episodes before I realized how familiar the locations (all that Joliet Marble) were then read the end credits.  I always get a cheap thrill when we have filming in our part of the Midwest, close to Chicago but still among the cornfields.

I can't believe it's over for now, but I'm so happy it gets a second season.  It's funny and there's a realness I so appreciate, and there's a gentle heart underneath that a lot of shows lack.   

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 2/28/2022 at 9:04 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Why was Sam’s mother going into the barn?  I hope it was to reflect about Holly and not to look for booze or to harm herself.  That would be too dark for this show, right?

I assumed she was going to get all the bottles of booze she hid in there that Sam and Tricia actually threw out. I hope they don't go darker with it. Her drinking again is dark enough and realistic.

Charity is such a complete asshole. I hope Tricia does fuck her husband lol.

Yay, they told us why Rick was at choir practice! I assumed that was the reason but I was glad they didn't let it hang there. I wouldn't mind seeing Rick there again. I think he could be redeemed since he actually seems like he feels like shit about what he did, as opposed to Charity.

• Love 6

What a great and touching ending to a great season.  I really wish more shows were like this one, about normal people dealing with the challenges of everyday life.  

Sam’s friendship song to Joel was amazing.

Can’t wait for season 2.  Well deserved.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

So sad this show has come to an end for now. I loved the gentle poignancy of it. This is generally not the type of show that pulls a big audience, so I'm relieved that it's been renewed for another season.

I liked the open-endedness of  Tricia visiting Charity's husband, and of the Mom heading into the barn. My assumption is that the Mom was white-knuckling it and went in looking for her stash. Hopefully it doesn't go darker than that.

Sam's song to Joel was beautiful. Was glad to see her move off the couch and venture into Holly's room to sleep.

I absolutely love Fred - who knew he had a party bus?

For much of the show's run, I assumed it was actually filmed in Kansas, and didn't realize it was shot just outside of Chicago. Regardless, it is beautifully shot, and the summertime pastoral scenery is gorgeous.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, nb360 said:

Has it been revealed what happened to Holly?

Can't remember if they spell it out, but Sam was living with her to take care of her so I've always assumed she died of cancer like Bridgett Everett's real life sister.

• Love 2

While I'm sad that this season only had 7 episodes, and so glad that it's been renewed, I'm also in awe of how much character and connection they were able to build in that short amount of time. Sam's song to Joel, and his reaction to it, was just so sweet and wonderful. Shows how much growth both characters have experienced alone and together.

Intrigue! Tricia and Cooper! A previous poster mentioned how completely unapologetic Charity seems for her actions. Kinda makes me wonder if she and Rick were revenge-banging for something Tricia and Cooper had done? Tricia was obviously gutted when Sam told her about the affair, but there might be some guilt mixed in with the pain and rage there too? Hmm...

Did they ever say how old Sam was? I am terrible at guessing ages and was wondering. This show seems like if fits in the genre of "Life and Beth" and "Better Things", but I enjoyed this one more. 

I was super bummed to read that the actor who plays the dad has died. I wonder how/if they will deal with that next season when the family has already suffered a loss. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Did they ever say how old Sam was? I am terrible at guessing ages and was wondering. This show seems like if fits in the genre of "Life and Beth" and "Better Things", but I enjoyed this one more. 

I was super bummed to read that the actor who plays the dad has died. I wonder how/if they will deal with that next season when the family has already suffered a loss. 

I think BE is around 50, so Sam probably is too. It works with her younger sister having a teenager .

• Love 2
(edited)

This was just lovely -- what a sweet ending to the season! And I love this show -- it's such a gentle, poignant, and delicate valentine to characters who feel incredibly real and compassionately observed. I also loved its inclusivity and quiet diversity, and loved seeing a plus-sized middle-aged woman navigate all of life's hurdles because I am one too, and seeing myself onscreen, or anyone who looks remotely like me (without her being a joke or pity case) is honestly a rarity. 

Sam moved me so much because -- as she admitted to Joel earlier -- she doesn't value herself at all (or didn't). She was sleeping on the damn couch not just because she was grieving Holly, but also because some part of her I think did not believe she deserved the bed. It was a metaphor for her entire life. Some part of Sam was sleepwalking through life and grief because she didn't believe she deserved joy or happiness. The fact that this episode provided her with joyous, real connection to caring friends (who appreciate her just as she is and love her talent), with new connection to her family despite pain and difference, and with a new acceptance of life as she finally goes and quietly lies down in Holly's bed. Oh, man. I was a mess in the best way (tears all over this episode for me). And I loved the way it ended with Sam's quiet inhale then slow exhale as she relaxed. Then fade to black.

I think my favorite thing about this season is that it was ultimately a love story about friendship. The fact that it literally starts because Joel is kind to Sam when she cries, follows her out to console her, and that small sweet act of compassion is what sparked their friendship was just beautiful. And that was bookended by Sam's beautiful song, which felt like such a perfect tribute to Joel's kindness, friendship, and support through this very dark time for Sam. And oh man, Jeff Hiller (Joel's actor) knocked it out of the park. As did Bridget Everett as Sam. The expression on his face when Sam sang that song to him broke me in the best way. 

One of my favorite things about shows is "meeting" characters and caring deeply about them. I love so many fictional characters and treasure meeting them, and now I can add Joel and Sam to that list of people (and Fred!).

I'm very happy there will be a season 2.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm very nervous about Sam's mother going into that barn. I figure she's going to try to drink, but I hope she doesn't. And definitely hope she doesn't do more than that.

I had a hard time with Sam's mother as a character -- I just didn't like her. Not because of the alcoholism, but because she was just kind of constantly a low-key asshole (and a mean drunk). I get that she felt grief and hopelessness but her treatment of her family really comes across as so toxic to me.

I do appreciate that the show's depiction of alcoholism is pretty quietly real -- I got the impression that the dad occasionally goes overboard as well (like when he got locked in that grain tower and was pretty incoherent).

And we've also seen that Sam is a pretty heavy drinker herself -- I'm not judging, as someone with alcoholics and addicts in my family (and who occasionally has to watch my own alcohol habits carefully), I get it. So I appreciate that the show depicts it not as some kind of huge thing, but as, well, a part of life for millions of people who are just trying to get through each day as it comes, however they can.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:00 AM, luna1122 said:

Sam singing her song and dedicating it to Joel was unbearably sweet. 

Tricia going to Charity's husband's place was also open ended. A little revenge boning? Go for it. 

Joel taking charge and ordering them to their separate corners was beautiful. He was so masterful! 

Sam's song was just wonderful, and so lovely. It moved me so much, especially that she took that moment to honor Joel, who has been so unselfish, kind, and unfailingly supportive.

I have to admit that I had a hard time feeling bad for Tricia even with the affair revelation across the season, given her smug homophobia about Holly -- even after Holly's death! Her mean little "hate the sin, love the sinner" to Sam made me want to throw things at her. And again when her first reaction to the news of the affair was to somehow try to blame Sam. But by the end I did see the humanity in her (and Charity was so much worse, I was definitely Team Tricia).

Joel's little moment in the store was very funny, but also so cool! He truly would be a wonderful counselor or youth pastor in some way. He's smart, kind, and just exudes real goodness.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Yay, they told us why Rick was at choir practice! I assumed that was the reason but I was glad they didn't let it hang there. I wouldn't mind seeing Rick there again. I think he could be redeemed since he actually seems like he feels like shit about what he did, as opposed to Charity.

Rick's little revelation surprised and moved me. I liked that he had simply been surprised to enjoy the event, and had wanted to come back (it's implied) for the music as well as the companionship. I loathe cheaters, but I almost feel like there's something we're not seeing about Rick, so I'm interested to see where Season 2 goes.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:47 AM, Iseut said:

Intrigue! Tricia and Cooper! A previous poster mentioned how completely unapologetic Charity seems for her actions. Kinda makes me wonder if she and Rick were revenge-banging for something Tricia and Cooper had done? Tricia was obviously gutted when Sam told her about the affair, but there might be some guilt mixed in with the pain and rage there too? Hmm...

Especially given that somehow Charity -- who was fucking her best friend's husband -- apparently felt zero remorse or even embarrassment about that fact? It's the only shaky writing in the show for me -- why isn't Charity genuinely embarrassed? Sad? Sorry? Etc.? Again, I hope Season 2 gives us a little more texture and info here.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, TVbitch said:

Bridget Everett is 50. Sam, meanwhile, makes a comment at some point during the season that she's in her 40s (I think she implies that she's 45-ish there, but not sure).

Last but not least, RIP to Mike Hagerty, who played her dad. Such a terrific HitG and character actor over the years! I was very moved that the show dedicated the season to him. I will be so sad to see the family deal with the dad's loss next season -- they've already been through so much.

Edited by paramitch
typo fix
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I'm late to this party and just finished watching Season 1. I'd never heard of this show until a couple of weeks back when it appeared at #31 on this list from TV Guide online:  The 100 Best Shows on TV Right Now. I've been watching and enjoying several of their picks and Somebody Somewhere has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, TVbitch said:

In an early episode, Sam's sister says to her, "You're well over 40 now." That's as close as we get to an actual number, I think. 

I was initially delighted to see Mike Hagerty was portraying Sam's father and then sadly realized that he had passed away earlier this year. While I knew him only from his recurring status on Friends years ago, he's an integral character here and will be sorely missed on this show. I do wonder how the writers will handle his passing. 😥

On 5/26/2022 at 8:09 AM, paramitch said:

Rick's little revelation surprised and moved me. I liked that he had simply been surprised to enjoy the event, and had wanted to come back (it's implied) for the music as well as the companionship. I loathe cheaters, but I almost feel like there's something we're not seeing about Rick, so I'm interested to see where Season 2 goes.

Last but not least, RIP to Mike Hagerty, who played her dad. Such a terrific HitG and character actor over the years! I was very moved that the show dedicated the season to him. I will be so sad to see the family deal with the dad's loss next season -- they've already been through so much.

I'm wondering about the timing of Charity and Rick's affair in relation to Rick's appearance at Choir Practice when he saw Sam, turned around and left. Had he been contemplating beginning an affair with Charity at that point, but was actually looking more for companionship that he was no longer getting at home? Was feeling that he couldn't stay at the event because of his sister-in-law's presence the final straw that pushed him toward Charity instead? Perhaps they were already an item, but I do wonder about the timing. 

@paramitch I'm not familiar with the acronym HitG. I've searched both Acronym Finder and Urban Dictionary for a definition, without success. The only option I found was "Hole in the Ground," which makes no sense in this context! Clue me in, please. 🤔

• Love 1
On 7/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, ProudMary said:

I'm late to this party and just finished watching Season 1. I'd never heard of this show until a couple of weeks back when it appeared at #31 on this list from TV Guide online:  The 100 Best Shows on TV Right Now. I've been watching and enjoying several of their picks and Somebody Somewhere has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. 

I'm wondering about the timing of Charity and Rick's affair in relation to Rick's appearance at Choir Practice when he saw Sam, turned around and left. Had he been contemplating beginning an affair with Charity at that point, but was actually looking more for companionship that he was no longer getting at home? Was feeling that he couldn't stay at the event because of his sister-in-law's presence the final straw that pushed him toward Charity instead? Perhaps they were already an item, but I do wonder about the timing. 

@paramitch I'm not familiar with the acronym HitG. I've searched both Acronym Finder and Urban Dictionary for a definition, without success. The only option I found was "Hole in the Ground," which makes no sense in this context! Clue me in, please. 🤔

Great post! I'm so pleased the show is getting some recognition -- it has flown under so many radars! It's just lovely.

That's an intriguing idea about Rick -- that maybe he had been living a joyless life, witnessed the get-together and music, and went, "I need something happy in my life," and had the affair?

You know, I can see them exploring that in S2. The only complaint I would have is -- then why Charity? Who is visibly awful and shows ZERO remorse? (It's my one complaint about the show's believability). So I'm interested to see what they do with that (if they explore it) next season.

"HitG" is (as the fabulous @saoirse noted) short for "Hey, it's that guy!" Tara Ariano, one of the founders of TWOP, this site, and Fametracker, was (I think) inspired by legendary character actor J.T. Walsh to create a site that saluted character actors—an effort I will always love, since I love character actors and there are so many who never become leads or famous, but who are so worthy of notice in their own right. Sorry I wasn't clearer!

On 7/11/2022 at 6:44 PM, saoirse said:

I believe it refers to 'Hey, it's that Guy!' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fametracker.

This! Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, ProudMary said:

To me it looked like he'd been having the affair with Charity for a while. Maybe that was his first attempt to get out of a rut, but the practice offered something closer to what he really wanted.

2 hours ago, paramitch said:

You know, I can see them exploring that in S2. The only complaint I would have is -- then why Charity? Who is visibly awful and shows ZERO remorse? (It's my one complaint about the show's believability). So I'm interested to see what they do with that (if they explore it) next season.

Exactly. That's why I think he and Charity had just been sleeping together for a while. They were both awful and had no remorse. He just happened to have enough humanity to recognize something better.

• Like 1

Loved the show!  Definitely too under the radar for its quality. The only thing that didn't ring true for me at all was the portrayal of the mom. Everyone we've seen has been multi-faceted (except maybe for the intentionally awful Charity). But we have never seen the kind, sweet, loving side of the mom, not even in flashbacks, but that is presumably something that existed once upon a time when the dad fell in love with her and maybe early with the family.

• Like 2