Type keyword(s) to search

The Girl From Plainville - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, teapot said:

right?  Can’t imagine a teenage guy would enjoy being called that!!!!

I think he hated it, too. In the scene where he meets Michelle alone while on vacation in Florida, Michelle says “Coco, right?” And he corrects her and says “Conrad.”

4 hours ago, millennium said:

I don't like the sympathetic narrative they're building for Michelle, any more than I liked the real-life outcome of this story.

I lived not far from Plainville as a teenager, so that's my primary interest in the show.

Overall it's very watchable.   Chloe Sevigny is perfectly cast.   The father and grandfather are pretty good too.   I can't with Aya Cash because her character in The Boys was so memorable and repulsive, it just bleeds through this character of Rayburn.

My greatest frustration with the show is that Hulu's following Amazon and Netflix and doling out the episodes on a weekly basis.  It's like these services gave us the freedom of bingeing and now they're taking it away and we're powerless.   Hate it.

I hate the weekly episodes, too. Sometimes I just wait until the whole series has aired, and binge the whole thing then.

• Love 5

20/20 aired a new episode about this case. A lot is rehashing other shows/episodes, obviously, but they really highlighted the progressions and sudden changes in the texts. Also, I didn’t remember how many years they were texting each other. I highly recommend watching it!

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I just watched the latest episode.  I have watched  a lot about the real people, so perhaps that’s why this series has me perplexed.  It seems the show is focused on portraying Michelle in the best light.  Why such a negative portrayal of Conrad’s parents?  It’s ridiculous.  Instead of the parents just informing the attorneys from the prosecutor’s office that they called their son Coco, the show paints them as jerks for insisting that his name WAS Coco.  What’s the point?  It seems they want his family to be shown as the real cause of Conrad’s depression. Why must they be shown as less than?  And, based on what I have seen, it’s not even true. 

The show even paints Conrad in a worse light than Michelle. WTF?  He was the victim!  Who the hell wrote this stuff?

Even with Michelle’s friend Susan……somehow, Susan and her mom are mean to Michelle.  It seems they recognized Michelle’s unhealthy obsession and got away from her.  

They even have to portray Michelle’s attorney as being horrible and causing her distress.  Why disparage her attorney?  He was just doing his job.  Defense attorneys get a bad rap, but without them the criminal justice system could not function.  They even had the prosecutors making fun of him.  Anything to show Michelle was unfortunate.

It seems poor little Michelle was a victim, not Conrad!  I hope they turn this thing around, because what this woman did was abhorrent, deliberate and criminal.  She might have been perfect in her own mind, but she was a monster.  I hope this show hasn’t lost sight of that.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
(edited)
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The show even paints Conrad in a worse light than Michelle. WTF?  He was the victim!  Who the hell wrote this stuff?

I think with the 4th episode, that’s starting to change. It seems to be building up to Michelle’s contribution to Conrad’s death. It seems that Conrad had an unhealthy mental state before meeting Michelle. Michelle was the final piece to the puzzle. She pushed him over the edge.

I think they are trying to paint a picture of Conrad’s life. He had parents that probably went through a bitter divorce and probably didn’t like each other. That may have affected him. Conrad had an altercation with his dad where the police had to be called. That may have affected him. I think they’re are trying to piece together events that may have contributed to Conrad’s mental state and then enters Michelle, which ultimately leads to his death.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I think with the 4th episode, that’s starting to change. It seems to be building up to Michelle’s contribution to Conrad’s death. It seems that Conrad had an unhealthy mental state before meeting Michelle. Michelle was the final piece to the puzzle. She pushed him over the edge.

I think they are trying to paint a picture of Conrad’s life. He had parents that probably went through a bitter divorce and probably didn’t like each other. That may have affected him. Conrad had an altercation with his dad where the police had to be called. That may have affected him. I think they’re are trying to piece together events that may have contributed to Conrad’s mental state and then enters Michelle, which ultimately leads to his death.

Yes, if I remember correctly, he was physically abused by his dad and had made one suicide attempt before he met Michelle. I don’t think his mom is coming across badly - she seems like a great mom. His dad did him a disservice when he allowed him to forgo therapy after the suicide attempt. Conrad’s life wasn’t perfect by any means, but depression and social anxiety are both highly associated with low levels of neurotransmitters, including serotonin. He was on meds went he left the hospital, but he needed a therapist as well and a psychiatrist to monitor and make adjustments to those meds as needed. All that said, Michelle was a monster for pushing him toward suicide instead of getting the professional help he needed. It’s so heartbreaking to know that Conrad’s mom was just a couple blocks away from that Walmart parking lot. If Michelle had just called her or someone else in his family, his life could have been saved. 

• Love 8

S01.E05: Mirrorball

6d2aa5ca-9f7b-41fe-8d36-d28e44b19c2d?bas

While the prosecution and defense get their strategies in place for trial, Michelle’s isolation from her peers pushes her to a breaking point. Michelle and Coco see each other in person for the first time since Florida.

April 12, 2022
tgfp_105_sd_01907rt.jpg
tgfp_105_sd_04081rt.jpg

On 4/7/2022 at 4:05 PM, CrystalBlue said:

That is correct, and if there is a Junior there was a Senior, so at least four Conrads.

Fun Fact:  Coco Chanel's real name was Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel.

Who's the 4th?  Grandpa is Sr., Dad is Jr., and the dead kid is the III.  Did he mention that the name goes back past grandpa or that he is a teen father?  I don't pay close enough attention to this show.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:06 AM, millennium said:

I can't with Aya Cash because her character in The Boys was so memorable and repulsive, it just bleeds through this character of Rayburn.

She will always be Gretchen to me.  

• Love 5

I made the mistake of trying to watch this in bed last night, kept dozing off and then woke up and didn't recognize any characters because it had launched into 'The Dropout' while I was sleeping. Did I hear Michelle say she was attracted to Susie? Is she not attracted to Conrad? Need to watch it again when I am awake.

• LOL 4

These last couple of episodes were really a slog for me.  Add to that that it is difficult to tell immediately what is flashback and what is present day. Also, although I get it, the way they bring the two kids together on film when they are in fact texting each other messes with my head somewhat. All in all, it's a confusing way to tell a story.

I am also put off by the constant emphasis on Conrad's horrible father and grandfather and the clear abuse he suffered and the minimizing of Michelle's contribution to his problems. This is episode five and we have gotten almost nowhere so far. Five episodes in and I'd like to see less poor confused Michelle and more meat of the actual crime itself.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Add to that that it is difficult to tell immediately what is flashback and what is present day.

Yeah, episode 5 really made me realize the annoyance of the back and forth. They don’t make it obvious when they’re in a flashback.

• Love 11

The flashbacks make it look like they were really together and in love and their relationship wasn’t like that. They were in separate towns and texting more like friends than a romantic couple. I know they are trying to show her state of mind but I would prefer sticking to facts since we don’t really know her state of mind besides her lies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I'm glad to read that others here feel the same way I do. I don't know if I'm going to keep watching the show. It feels like a chore. I watch just about every series that Hulu puts out and they're generally very good. Not so much here.

WTF with the random sex at the party?

• Love 9
On 4/12/2022 at 10:54 PM, AntFTW said:

Yeah, episode 5 really made me realize the annoyance of the back and forth. They don’t make it obvious when they’re in a flashback.

They need to use a different color gradient. It's how Little Women and Cruel Summer worked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 4/12/2022 at 7:50 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Add to that that it is difficult to tell immediately what is flashback and what is present day. Also, although I get it, the way they bring the two kids together on film when they are in fact texting each other messes with my head somewhat. All in all, it's a confusing way to tell a story.

Same, and I can't be bothered to pay attention enough to figure it out.  It's like obviously if Conrad is in a scene it is a flashback, but I thought the stuff with the other girl was present until she told him about it.  Maybe if the show was more engaging and I cared enough this would be an okay way to tell the story, but for me, it is just a hurdle that I don't know I feel like crossing and may be enough to get me to forget I was watching this show if Hulu doesn't remind me.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2022 at 10:35 PM, Armchair Critic said:

So Conrad did go to the funeral and they went out afterwards? It’s hard to tell what’s real because they make it look like they are together because they have them act out the texts.

When they were kissing she did not seem into it. 

I'm confused too.  Why would Conrad be at Michelle's grandmother's funeral, especially since they don't live in that same state?

• Love 1

I don’t think Conrad was really at any of those scenes, it was all Michelle’s imagination. I think these scenes are very confusing but IRL they were only together in person when they first met as far as I heard. I wish this was better because the actors are good but they are trying to pad out the story and it isn’t working.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm confused too.  Why would Conrad be at Michelle's grandmother's funeral, especially since they don't live in that same state?

They both live in MA, in different towns. About an hour apart I think. According to a doc I watched about this case they did meet up a handful of times after meeting for the first time in FL but the bulk of their relationship was over text. I'm not sure if he came to her grandmother's funeral in real life but I think the show is telling us that's a real meeting they had. 

I don't mind the actors basically acting out the text conversations they had. They texted a lot and it's easier for us as an audience to hear them say it instead of reading it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I tried to rewatch episode 5 but it just doesn't hold my attention. I thought the first 4 episodes were pretty good. Episode 5 starts to lose me.

14 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

What's with all this Glee shit? 

Michelle Carter is a huge Glee fan. I never watched Glee and this show is the most exposure I've ever had to Glee and talking about Glee.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Most of the articles I read say they only met 2 or 3 times in person and they never met each other’s families. So I don’t think Conrad was at this funeral and it’s likely it was a fantasy of Michelle .

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 1:35 AM, Armchair Critic said:

When they were kissing she did not seem into it.

I think it's pretty clear the show is trying to tell us that Michelle is probably gay but she's set up a "relationship" with Conrad because she 1.) likes the attention 2.) Rachel Berry wasn't gay so she can't be gay either 3.) She's setting up Finnchel, not Brittanna. 

It looks like Conrad kept asking her to meet up but Michelle never wants to because she knows that there are going to be expectations. Expectations she doesn't really want to deliver on because again, she likes girls.

It also might be that because of her eating disorder, Michelle just can't get into sex with anybody. She never went anywhere with Susie, either.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

To be blunt about the whole ordeal (yes I followed this case and was even obsessed about it) I believe Michelle had been wrongfully convicted.  It's quite obvious that there's was/is some underlying mental health issues with both parties even.  Who cares what kind of moral compass one has; it's wrong to convict some one of a crime that they didn't commit.  Coming from personal experience when I was a teenager, to currently being mentally ill now; I wish I had someone like her in my life.  Seems like she was just trying to help, even by suggesting different ways to do so.  Noone supported my suicide attempt for their own selfish reasons.  If a person doesn't have the will to live despite meds and therapy, then don't let them suffer any longer.  If you truly love that individual who is suffering beyond belief, then help them end it.  However teenage angst is a thing, Michelle probably didn't have a sound understanding of the full extent of her actions on account of her own mental health. 

I will say this show fabricates the story for onscreen purposes, but it has something here.  It can be an example of calling out mental health stigmas to the public and justice system.  I myself have fallen victim to the justice system simply because they don't understand why a person acts the way they do in times of mental crisis.  This show makes me weak in the heart, and gives me chills.  The backlash she has received and endured is quite sad; not to mention the lack of empathy that has been bestowed by many.  However, it's stories like this that can help end the stigma on mental illness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m getting the feeling that the show used to much liberty with extra stuff like Glee. I don’t find it amusing. I was a Glee fan, but I’d rather not see it here, unless it’s true.  

I read that the real Michelle Carter tried to connect to Lea Michele via social media with the whole shared dead boyfriends thing and was overall a massive "gleek" so I buy the constant references. The Can't Fight This Feeling scene was pretty good at getting it across.

Was Susie and that relationship real?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I had never heard the theory that Michelle concocted the whole thing with Conrad to get Susan’s attention before this series.  I’m not sure what’s created for drama and what’s not.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, AntFTW said:

I tried to rewatch episode 5 but it just doesn't hold my attention. I thought the first 4 episodes were pretty good. Episode 5 starts to lose me.

Michelle Carter is a huge Glee fan. I never watched Glee and this show is the most exposure I've ever had to Glee and talking about Glee.

I know she was a Glee fan and the first time they used the clip with her acting out the scene at the mirror was very creepy. It was well done and got the point across. I think now they are taking it too far. That Glee fantasy scene with them singing was blah.  It really wasn't needed. We have seen her watching Glee and mentioning it a few times now we get it. I never watched it either because it always seemed dumb but I know about all the behind the scenes drama of Glee because some of it was big trending news. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had never heard the theory that Michelle concocted the whole thing with Conrad to get Susan’s attention before this series.  I’m not sure what’s created for drama and what’s not.  

I didn’t get that at all from the episode. I got that she had feelings for Susie, and she was texting Conrad. But, I didn’t get that she was bringing conrad up to make Susie jealous. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I didn’t get that at all from the episode. I got that she had feelings for Susie, and she was texting Conrad. But, I didn’t get that she was bringing conrad up to make Susie jealous. 

The D. A. said that, so that’s where I got it from. 

Did precious episodes have a “some scenes are dramatized” disclaimer at the start? I know they’ve all had suicide warnings, but I never noticed a dramatization one until this episode. It was an interesting narrative choice to have Conrad and Michelle fool around at the baseball field she’d later host a memorial game at in his honor. It seemed like they were trying to make Michelle misunderstood and sympathetic, by showing that field had significance to her and Conrad. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Did precious episodes have a “some scenes are dramatized” disclaimer at the start? I know they’ve all had suicide warnings, but I never noticed a dramatization one until this episode. It was an interesting narrative choice to have Conrad and Michelle fool around at the baseball field she’d later host a memorial game at in his honor. It seemed like they were trying to make Michelle misunderstood and sympathetic, by showing that field had significance to her and Conrad. 

Yes. All 5 episodes have the disclaimer in the beginning about certain parts are fictionalized solely for dramatic purposes.  I re-checked to confirm.  

I wondered about Michelle’s attorney questioning her in front of her parents.  They could be called to testify about any admissions that she made in that office. There’s no privilege between parent and adult child in Mass, that I could locate.  She was 18 when charged.  Anything she said to her attorney should have been with just him or his staff.  Attorney/client privilege is waived when others are present.  Does anyone know if Michell’s parents were called to testify by the state?

I still don’t get why this series is so intent on painting Conrad’s parents so poorly.  Why are they portrayed as the least cultured, least intelligent and  most dysfunctional characters in the series?  Even the guy who worked on the boat for Conrad’s family was treated better by the writers than Conrad’s parents were.  Michelle’s parents were shown in a positive light too.  I’m not sure why the most affected and heartbroken people, got shown in the worst light.  Even worse than the person who caused Conrad’s death.  It’s despicable.  Of course there’re plenty of scenes showing how gorgeous Michelle is in her prom dress.  And the tears……so pitiful.  Why is she crying?  She got what she wanted.  Well, I guess she was angry her plan didn’t work and Conrad’s death didn’t get her the love and attention from Susan she craved. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, absnow54 said:

When Conrad had never even been to that baseball field in Plainville, right?  All of Conrad's family and friends would have had to travel to the memorial game in his honor, which was really to put the focus of Michelle as the grieving girlfriend.

• Love 2

S01.E06: Talking Is Healing

805c395c-90c7-439c-b861-3d516d6a28cd?bas
The trial begins and a new Michelle emerges. The prosecution lays out Michelle’s involvement in Coco’s death and Lynn Roy takes the stand. Michelle finds help for her eating disorder while Coco dives deeper into his depression.

April 19, 2022
tgfp_106_sd_00357rt.jpg
tgfp_106_sd_01337rt.jpg

• Useful 1

More of the same 'poor Michelle' drama with Conrad and his family shown in a poor light. If I'd known we would be in episode six with this continuing slant I would never have started watching this thing.

All terrible people have their own backstory and motivations. It does not absolve them of their terrible decisions and harm to others. Understanding them does not mean giving them license to hurt other people. But I'm afraid that this series has taken such a strong 'understand Michelle' stance that it expects us to just ignore that she is a really terrible human being and responsible for all of her actions. I keep getting the feeling that I am supposed to 'understand her' and then forgive her and not hold her responsible in the end.

I do not.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

They aren't doing Conrad any favors on this show, the latest episode I was tired of him and he was irritating.

Teenage guys are kinda douche-y sometimes.  Probably pretty realistic.  I love the justice Chloe Sevigny  is doing to his mom. 

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

She is the shining light here.  The reason I will watch again next week. Just her, though.

I have always liked her acting but this is honestly the best acting I've ever seen her do. She is absolutely nailing Lynn's mannerisms and voice. I don't see Last Days of Disco Chloe here at all.

58 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

More of the same 'poor Michelle' drama with Conrad and his family shown in a poor light. If I'd known we would be in episode six with this continuing slant I would never have started watching this thing.

I did think it was interesting to compare the actual court testimony because Michelle does not cry at all until the end when she's found guilty. She looks sheepish when Lexi and Sam (Natalie and Cassie) make their testimonies, but we don't see her cry. In Lexi/Natalie's case, she had this absolute bored "absolutely over it" teenaged girl energy during her testimony, but the actress playing her went a different route..

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/20/2022 at 12:45 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

All terrible people have their own backstory and motivations. It does not absolve them of their terrible decisions and harm to others. Understanding them does not mean giving them license to hurt other people. But I'm afraid that this series has taken such a strong 'understand Michelle' stance that it expects us to just ignore that she is a really terrible human being and responsible for all of her actions. I keep getting the feeling that I am supposed to 'understand her' and then forgive her and not hold her responsible in the end.

I do not.

I agree.  I’m very insulted and annoyed by the way they have portrayed Conrad.  It’s as if they want to make his character so annoying and frustrating that it justifies Michelle’s causing his death. (Which she clearly did.) And, they portray his family as if they weren’t good enough either.  After experiencing such a tragedy by the death and then get hit with this joke of a series!  Omg, I feel for the family and hope they don’t watch it.   I’m sure the real Michelle is loving the hell out of it, as it glamorizes her and creates a public pity party for her. 

There is one more episode, right?  I doubt they can turn it around at this point…..what a waste and a disservice to the survivors.  Did Michelle’s family finance this project?

• Love 2

I don’t see Conrad’s family’s portrayal as bad. His mom seems wonderful, and while his dad is rough around the edges, it seems evident that he loves his son. Hitting him was 💯 wrong, obviously. His sisters also seem loving and fun.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3
On 4/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, CrystalBlue said:

They had so many Conrads in the family they needed nicknames to distinguish one from the other.

See, this is the real problem. You name all the dudes the same thing but then give them short forms or nicknames to distinguish them from each other. So what was the point of giving them all the same name? If you want to honour a family name, make it the second name. Jeez, it’s not hard to find simple solutions. 

On 4/9/2022 at 10:49 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

It seems poor little Michelle was a victim, not Conrad!

This just started airing in Canada, so I’m just guessing here. It’s a common storytelling device to make a character seem one way initially and then peel back the layers over several episodes. If Michelle was portrayed as the heartless sociopath she is from the get-go, there wouldn’t be much of a story to tell. The viewer has to be invested in the characters - good ones and bad ones.

Elle Fanning is fabulous. Between this and The Great, she is showing great potential for a long career.

How many episodes are there?

• Love 2

I think Conrad (Coco) comes across as a really depressed/anxious teenager, which he obviously was. There are really ugly bits to it and the not ugly - like the last video his mum was watching. Add to that some weird family dynamics and there you go. I can't say the show has made me feel like he deserved to die even a little bit or that Michelle was justified because he was irritating at moments.

I'm still not getting a read on Michelle. Did she actually want treatment for bulimia? Was it just a holiday? Was she trying to be as sick as Coco?

I do think it's a mistake not acting like her in the trial. I remember seeing her just act so cold during the trial, no tears nothing and thought that was way more interesting than the obligatory tear. Although I'd watch Elle Fanning do anything so its more the direction than anything

• Love 5

Grew up in Mattapoisett and coached boy's tennis at King Philip (yes, one l) HS so this case has always fascinated me having spent a lot of time in both communities. I don't personally know any of the people involved in this but know some who do. 

One thing they have taken dramatic license with is portraying Mattapoisett as a "rough" town. It's a beautiful sea-side community on Buzzard's Bay, which is in just about every way, a much more desirable town to live in/come from etc than Michelle's Plainville. 

They have done a good job duplicating exteriors/interiors of restaurants in Mattapoisett, King Philip HS etc.....the real school colors are green&yellow not the red&black (I think they showed) though.

Edited by HC87
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, HC87 said:

One thing they have taken dramatic license with is portraying Mattapoisett as a "rough" town. It's a beautiful sea-side community on Buzzard's Bay, which is in just about every way, a much more desirable town to live in/come from etc than Michelle's Plainville. 

They really seem intent on portraying the Roys as "blue collar salt of the Earth" types while Michelle's family is depicted as genteel New England WASP's.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

They really seem intent on portraying the Roys as "blue collar salt of the Earth" types while Michelle's family is depicted as genteel New England WASP's.

The two towns should actually be flip-flopped (in terms of how they are portrayed anyway).....Mattapoisett is a much more white collar enclave than Plainville is.  The Roys are sort of "rough around the edges" but they are fairly successful in their businesses. 

It's actually kind of interesting, not sure if this in anyway played into Michelle's issues, but Plainville is seen as sort of the "poor cousin" in the King Philip regional school system. The other 2 towns in it, Norfolk and Wrentham, are seen as the more desireable towns to live in. 

Edited by HC87
  • Useful 5