Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: It's Cow or Never

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Season Finale

Renewed for a Second Season

With Peacemaker and Adebayo at odds, can the team kill the cow once and for all – or will their fracture give the aliens the opening they need to complete its teleportation?

Original Airdate: Thursday, February 17, 2022 
peacemaker-cow.png?w=621
peacemaker-cow.jpg
7i383f3r29981.jpg?width=1615&format=pjpg
jennifer-holland_2.jpg?itok=oFPEb5L1

Well that was certainly interesting.

I still don't understand why the Peacemaker team wasted so much time, it took them way too long to find the helmet and to get it into the barn. They were lucky the teleporter wasn't activated hours ago.

Adebayo seemed to have a lot of bullets in those pistols.

How did Adebayo have a Peacemaker tracker, he wasn't even wearing a helmet? Too bad they didn't have the helmet tracker.

Economos for the loss. How did Economos find a human leg brace in a medical van for animals, but he might have found some medical supplies to save Harcourt's life, if he knew how. I am not sure how Economos crawled back over the fence to the pet ambulance or to Harcourt.

If the butterflies wanted to save Earth, all they had to do was advance the technologies that would have saved the planet. People would stop using fossil fuels in a second if a much better energy source was available.

Star of the show.

232736274_Peacemakerstars.thumb.jpg.b2ff66d3a5124715e15a5eb6d4514f42.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That cameo was EVERYTHING!

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

If the butterflies wanted to save Earth, all they had to do was advance the technologies that would have saved the planet. People would stop using fossil fuels in a second if a much better energy source was available.

Don't underestimate how much influence the fossil fuel industry has.

52 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That cameo was EVERYTHING!

Cameos.

Felt so bad for EconoGOAT when he was explaining why he dyed the beard.  And Chris looked ashamed of what he said, and hurt for saying that stuff to a friend after the explanation.  EconoGOAT did get 2 heartwarming moments after, the first was obviously having the picture at his new desk, and the second was in the after credits scene.  Vigilante told him that he was worried his eating would lead to an early death.

Speaking of Vigilante, he saved his BFF which was awesome, and we got more confirmation that he considers Chris, Eagly and the entire team his friends.  James Gunn doing what he does, getting you to care about a character you didn't think you'd care about.  Vigilante's first appearance he was talking about killing people for jaywalking, but as the show went on you grew to like and care about him.  Been said before, and bears repeating, doesn't matter if it's Peacemaker or Arrow, DCTV kicks ass with Adrian Chase.

Can't wait for season 2.

• Love 10

Wow. Where does the show go for the next season? Lunacy, poignancy, mass destruction, Task Force X getting outted, and Auggie looks to be living in his son’s head, rent-free.

I’m not pulling for any cameos from DC Comics’ “Big Three,” but I would like for the show to be part of a bigger picture. I have to wonder how they got Jason and Ezra to cameo. Red tape-wise, I mean . . . they were probably great with it. “They keep joking how Aquaman fucks fish? Dude, I’m in. Do I wear the costume from my sequel?”

The small dogs didn’t get killed. Good for them.

• Love 9

Wow, they got Jason Mamoa, Ezra Miller and Viola Davis for cameos. Impressive.

This was a fun episode and a satisfying ending to the season. At the end I was so worried that the queen of the butterflies (don't know how to spell her name) was in one of them. Harcourt most of all. Was a big relieve when the queen showed up at the end.

I'm not sure if Chris is really hallucinating or if his father maybe packed some kind of psychic imprint of himself into those helmets.

Adebayo seemed to have a lot of bullets in those pistols.

I counted less than 20 confirmed shots from her. For two full clips that's more than reasonable.

It's always a double edged sword. Give a society technology they aren't ready for yet and they might just destroy themselves with it. Although fusion power plants should be pretty safe.

The more questionable thing here is that a society that has made it to interstellar travel and teleportation couldn't clean up their own planet. I mean global warming at that level of civilisation is just childs play. Just block a bit of the suns rays with satelites, done. Or scrub the CO2 from the atmosphere. You clearly have near limitless power and resources if you are that advanced. Most everything else would be childs play, too.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m not pulling for any cameos from DC Comics’ “Big Three,” but I would like for the show to be part of a bigger picture. I have to wonder how they got Jason and Ezra to cameo. Red tape-wise, I mean . . . they were probably great with it. “They keep joking how Aquaman fucks fish? Dude, I’m in. Do I wear the costume from my sequel?”

https://deadline.com/2022/02/peacemaker-season-one-finale-james-gunn-interview-spoilers-1234935500/

Tell us about landing Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller for the Justice League cameo

GUNN: Jason, I have known for a while. So, we had a preexisting relationship, and also Peter Safran, who’s the producer on the show and he’s one of my closest allies and friends, he’s friends with Jason because he produces the Aquaman movies. So, we asked Jason. We knew Jason was probably going to do it very early on. Ezra came in as more of a surprise. I found out through a couple of friends that Ezra liked my films, and so then I connected with him and asked him to do it, as well. So, yeah, we were just lucky with the two of them.

That was just a great, great touch, and then to hear Aquaman go blue was just great.

GUNN: I know. You hear Aquaman just cursing. I think both of those guys deserves total props because he does f*** with both of them the whole season, and so the fact that they have such a great sense of humor about themselves, I really appreciate both those guys and what they did. The Ezra outtakes are probably the greatest things I’ve ever had. He literally went on for 30 minutes, and he hadn’t seen the show. I just showed him the scene of them walking away, and he kept calling Harcourt the little blonde boy. The best outtakes of all time are from him.

They have to put that on HBO Max.

GUNN: I know. Marvel shot it for us, which was really nice of them.

Marvel did? 

GUNN: It was nice because we shot it on the set and with the crew of Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3. You know, they were kind of paying us back, though, because DC, Chukwudi Iwuji, we used the Peacemaker crew to shoot Chukwudi’s screen test for Guardians 3, and DC was really cool about that, and then Marvel was really cool about letting us use our crew to shoot Ezra.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Useful 7
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

How did Adebayo have a Peacemaker tracker, he wasn't even wearing a helmet? Too bad they didn't have the helmet tracker.

The tracker is implanted in his head -- it's part of the bomb Waller put there in Suicide Squad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

That was really great how Gunn shot the cameos. Initially backlit with no faces visible and you think the "Justice League" has arrived. Then you see that it really is Jason and Ezra. And on top of that they are debating whether Aquaman fucks fish!

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That was really great how Gunn shot the cameos. Initially backlit with no faces visible and you think the "Justice League" has arrived. Then you see that it really is Jason and Ezra. And on top of that they are debating whether Aquaman fucks fish!

It’s a shame that the Snyderverse doesn’t have a Green Arrow.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Now I want to see a James Gunn Justice League movie!

• Love 4

Eagly was a big disappoint this episode. He might be a little gunshy after the White Dragon incident.

At least Eagly is playing "nice" with his butterfly roommate.

4 hours ago, Zonk said:

The more questionable thing here is that a society that has made it to interstellar travel and teleportation couldn't clean up their own planet. I mean global warming at that level of civilisation is just childs play. Just block a bit of the suns rays with satelites, done. Or scrub the CO2 from the atmosphere. You clearly have near limitless power and resources if you are that advanced. Most everything else would be childs play, too.

It might be hard to come back from having some of the critical creatures go extinct, especially if it happened before you go a handle on the clean energy situation or the toxic environment or a war.

37 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It might be hard to come back from having some of the critical creatures go extinct, especially if it happened before you go a handle on the clean energy situation or the toxic environment or a war.

If species die others fill the void. Also if you are that advanced, you can clone anything if you really have to.

Also their technology is ridiculously advanced. They are thousands of years beyond us (if that technology is even remotely possible). How did they durvive so long? Or did they fuck up their planet when they already had technology far beyond us? Doesn't seem plausible.

Edited by Zonk
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Apparently the Twitter people were pissed off at that joke, seeing as how Jason apparently had to fight Whedon to prevent a fish sex joke from being in the original JL movie. Perhaps that was because Jason didn’t want to make Aquaman a joke before he got his solo movie.

Either way, I’ll take James Gunn over BOTH Snyder and Whedon. 

• Love 9

Here I was hoping/preparing to settle for another Amanda Waller cameo at least, but not only did they briefly bring in the Justice League themselves for a few seconds, they even got Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller to say a few lines and basically just be there to have a pay off for all of the "Aquaman fucks fish" rumors.  Ha!  Loved it!  I have to imagine this will be one of the rare times in the DCEU we will hear Aquaman actually utter the words "Fuck you, Barry!", and I'm all for it!

Pretty good finale, I thought.  Obviously not too surprised that the butterflies were defeated, but I liked how almost everyone in the gang played a part in the showdown and even continued to grow as characters going forward (although, I do wonder about Eagly's screw-up and flying away.  Maybe he's still feeling the effects of the attack last week?  Or... he's just an eagle doing eagle things.)  Also happy that no one else in the gang got taken out.  Was worried a bit about Hardcourt because while I suspect Jennifer Holland has a little bit of job security here, I was wondering if they were setting it up for Butterfly Groff to take her over.  I'm glad they didn't because I think the Hardcourt character in general has a lot of potential.

Peacemaker from The Suicide Squad would have definitely considered Groff's offer to let the butterflies take over and create worldwide peace, but Chris is a changed man (somewhat), and wasn't going to just let some higher power control him anymore.  Still like how the show calls back to his killing of Flag: I really think it was one of the biggest tipping points for him.

Looks like they might be keeping Robert Patrick around some more by having Auggie be some kind of sinister hallucination in Chris' mind.  Uh oh!

I'm guessing Judomaster is sticking around as a potential obstacle for next season.

I will miss the actors playing the butterflies.  Annie Chang really stepped it up as both Song and Butterfly Groff.

Aww, not only have Chris and Leota made up, but she's now his second BFF (behind Eagly, naturally.)  Lets just hope Vigilante doesn't find out!

Green Arrow has now been established to be a part of this universe.  And apparently a Brony.  I know he'll be someone different from the Arrowverse one, but I'm just picking that Oliver/Stephen Amell at a Brony convention and just giving his normal thousand yard stare during the proceedings.  Hopefully the Salmon Ladder exists as well!

Pretty great first season.  As much as I enjoyed the Peacemaker character on the film, I never would have predicted how successful a show following him would be, but that's on me for underestimating James Gunn because if anyone can somehow make the worst kind of person be interesting and watchable, it would be him!  And, again: I really have been impressed with John Cena's acting abilities here.  He really excels at comedy, but he actually carried the emotional and dramatic scenes really well too.  Depending where his character goes next, I can honestly see him being similar to Robert Downey Jr. as Tony/Iron Man or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, in that Cena will always be the "definite" Peacemaker for comic film/show fans.  Really excited to see what he does next.

Whelp, until the next season comes around, it's off to rewatch the opening credits a few more times!

• Love 9

Was not expecting those cameos and was even more surprised they actually got 2 of them. Because I was going they really got someone that looks like Jason in profile, then it was actually him. Lol

This show definitely surprised me in many ways. I wasn't going to watch initially because I hated Peacemaker in Sucide Squad. I'm glad I gave it a chance. Gunn managed to give depth to Chris while not changing him completely. I'm not sure how Harcourt survived but I don't care I wanted her to live. And I guess her and Chris are kind of a thing now. 

Abedayo is Chris' second bff and Vigilante's fifth bff. I wonder who he considers his third and fourth bff?

What are Vigilante and Judomaster made out of, those 2 survive everything. Or do they just have really good supersuits. Lol I'm surprised Goff didn't try to find Judomaster and take over him since he's willing to help them. Why did Goff decided to go back and live with Chris? Or is it only until because he still had some of the goo left?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Apparently the Twitter people were pissed off at that joke, seeing as how Jason apparently had to fight Whedon to prevent a fish sex joke from being in the original JL movie. Perhaps that was because Jason didn’t want to make Aquaman a joke before he got his solo movie.

Either way, I’ll take James Gunn over BOTH Snyder and Whedon. 

Twitter is always mad about something. Screw em. It's a joke. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Eagly was a big disappoint this episode. He might be a little gunshy after the White Dragon incident.

"Peacemaker is a great guy in almost every way, but his biggest flaw is that he commonly overestimates Eagly's abilities."

He's not gun shy, he's being Eagly.

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Abedayo is Chris' second bff and Vigilante's fifth bff. I wonder who he considers his third and fourth bff?

Economos is probably 3rd, with Harcourt as 4th.

• Love 5
On 2/17/2022 at 5:26 AM, AnimeMania said:

The line from Goff could be pure rationalization or an outright lie to motivate Peacemaker to help them save the cow.

But taking Goff's statement on face value:

Having the advanced power sources and technology they did still didn't prevent the Butterflies from wrecking their homeworld. There's no particular reason to think that giving access to their advanced technology would prevent humans from being greedy, exploitative, short-sighted, etc. In fact, there's a fairly good reason to suspect that allowing access to flying saucer, teleportation and greater energy tech might solve some problems but would create others. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The line from Goff could be pure rationalization or an outright lie to motivate Peacemaker to help them save the cow.

Having the advanced power sources and technology they did still didn't prevent the Butterflies from wrecking their homeworld. There's no particular reason to think that giving access to their advanced technology would prevent humans from being greedy, exploitative, short-sighted, etc. In fact, there's a fairly good reason to suspect that allowing access to flying saucer, teleportation and greater energy tech might solve some problems but would create others. 

I think traveling from our planet to another planet and bringing back resources would probably benefit our world more than harm it.

When we saw those silhouettes of the Justice League, I was like "that really does look like Jason" and it totally was! I was hoping for one Viola cameo, which we got, but then they took the cameo's up to eleven! With the glorious return of the fish fucking jokes. "Fuck you Barry." What an amazing end to the season, I never thought when they mentioned the Justice League that they would actually show up!

This was a very solid finale to what has been a great first season, I am always so impressed with James Gunn's ability to make me care about even his bloodiest craziest characters and how well he can use an ensemble. I wasn't a huge fan of Peacemaker in Suicide Squad and went into this not sure if I could get past him killing Rick Flag, but James Gunn gave him so much depth that I ended up really coming around. Everyone got some time to shine in this episode, and when Harcourt went down and it looked like everyone was following, I was legit worried, I have really come to care about these characters. It made the ending rather bittersweet, the 11th street kids are separated (except for Peacemaker and Vigilante) for now, but all very genuinely became friends while growing as people and that has meant a lot to them. I am very curious as to where season two will go, especially now that Leota has blown the lid off her moms operation, but I am sure that Amanda will be able to come back from this. Thanksgiving is sure going to be awkward at the Waller house this year...

Before everything that happened in Suicide Squad and in this show, Chris probably would have at least strongly considered taking up the butterflies on their offer for "the greater good" but after all of this, he's realized that he just cant sacrifice innocent lives for the possibility of saving others. The butterflies ended up being a good foil to Chris and his character development, which was really kicked off when he killed Rick Flag. I guess stabbing someone to death in the name of peace and having that person call you out on it would send many people into a bit of an existential crisis. I really have come to respect John Cena a lot as an actor in this show, not only did he handle both the comedy and the drama really well, but he was willing to go really goofy several times, there are a lot of wrestler turned actor types that I cant imagine being willing to be the butt of the joke so often, the guy was just fully committed. I especially liked the whole scene where Economos talked about how he does die his beard because he's terribly lonely and that he was really hurt when "this guy" noticed and made fun of him, you could really see how ashamed he felt as he listened to him. For an actor normally known for going big, it was very subtle and nicely handled. 

Glad that Leota and Chris made up and that she's still his second best friend, behind Eagly of course. Hopefully Adrian never finds out that his first best friend has bumped up his fifth best friend past him. Its really a credit to the writing and the acting that they made Vigilante, the guy who started the show bragging about murdering jaywalkers, and made him one of my favorite superhero show characters. How can I stay mad at that wild mix of badass, psychotic, and cheerful? Any live action version of Adrian Chase that DC has made has been an absolute winner, even when they're extremely different.

Now to watch the opening credits a million times until season two starts.

• Love 8
On 2/18/2022 at 7:28 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Being able to generate electricity without damaging the planet would be hugely beneficial. In our current world it is hard to think it wouldn’t be politicised and of course we don’t know how much it would take to get the system up and running. But all of the negative stuff happens anyway. Ghe grid is aging and people fight to keep coal and oil as a major energy source. 
Snyway dome of that tech should still be around. 

On 2/17/2022 at 7:46 AM, Zonk said:

Wow, they got Jason Mamoa, Ezra Miller and Viola Davis for cameos. Impressive.

Jason Momoa is always steady working, and he is usually in several teevee series per year. I'm not even sure it really was him. Like it was someone standing in position who looked Momoa-esque and they CG's the actor to make him look exactly like Jason.

Viola Davis is integral to the Suicide Squad/Peacemaker property, she may have done her part during the filming of the movie.

I have never seen Ezra Miller in anything other than playing The Flash, so I bet he has a lot of time...

13 hours ago, wmdekooning said:

Jason Momoa is always steady working, and he is usually in several teevee series per year. I'm not even sure it really was him. Like it was someone standing in position who looked Momoa-esque and they CG's the actor to make him look exactly like Jason.

It was him. That kind of CGI is still increadibly expensive. Why would you ever do that if you'd have to pay for his likeness and him voiceacting anyway? Cheaper to fly him out for a day.

Viola Davis is integral to the Suicide Squad/Peacemaker property, she may have done her part during the filming of the movie.

She didn't. That movie was filmed way too long ago.

I have never seen Ezra Miller in anything other than playing The Flash, so I bet he has a lot of time...

The Fantastic Beasts film series? Also bunch of other stuff. Just because you only watch super hero movies and shows doesn't mean he isn't a working actor.

PS: It seems everybody loves James Gunn and loves to work with him. Cavill apparently said he would have liked to have done this cameo, but he couldn't, since Netflix owns his likeness for the next two years. (which btw. means he's making BANK of the witcher. Exclusive deals aren't cheap)

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Does anyone know what kind of “creative differences” led to first actor playing Vigilante leaving the show? They even had to reshoot five and a half episodes worth of his scenes. I’m glad they did make the change because Freddy Stroma was perfect in the role. 

• Love 1