Type keyword(s) to search

We Need To Talk About Cosby - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watched part one last night. The fact that so many Black commentators answered the first question about how they feel about Bill Cosby with a sigh speaks volumes.  This really speaks about the complexities of humans (I am really paraphrasing one commenter). He did some amazing things, but all of that is tempered by the awful things that he also did. 

• Love 17

I found the first episode very harrowing to watch. The victim account near the end of the episode was just heartbreaking. I'm impressed with the way the filmmakers assembled the material - in particular the visual timeline of victims superimposed over Cosby's career trajectory. It was a stark demonstration that he was doing this right from the early part of his career and never slowed down. I'm glad they gathered such a wide variety of people to comment and give their thoughts. I was a child of the 70's, and grew up on Fat Albert & The Cosby Show, so it was tough to reconcile someone so beloved from my growing up years with the absolute monster he actually was. His family-friendly image and good works were an effective smoke-screen that allowed him to carry out his nefarious deeds in plain sight.

It looks like this series will be wrestling with the question "can you separate the artist from the creative output?". For me, his acts were so heinous, that I simply can't. Curious to see what the next three episodes will contain.

• Love 19

There's a consensus among some that Camille has known for a long time. There was an episode of Scandal a few years back that featured a Cosby-like character, and toward the end it was revealed that his wife knew what he'd been up to, and was the main force behind covering his deeds up. She wanted his career as a beloved person to continue, as well as the standard of life to which she'd become accustomed. If the truth came out, both would be in grave danger, so she did whatever she could to conceal the truth, including bullying his victims. I remember reading at the time that many people thought she was based on Camille Cosby. 

Enabling Bill apparently became the family business. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I can’t wrap my mind around the idea that Camille didn’t know. How would a person not know some like this especially since he was doing this in their own home at times and also hearing persistent rumors.

I watched all four episodes on Showtime are there more to come?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I can’t wrap my mind around the idea that Camille didn’t know. How would a person not know some like this especially since he was doing this in their own home at times and also hearing persistent rumors.

I watched all four episodes on Showtime are there more to come?

I figure she must've known at some point. I've often wondered about the people working on the Cosby Show as well. Lisa Bonet had a well-publicized falling out with him in the 80's, which at the time, was assumed to be over the explicit role she took in the movie Angel Heart. I can't help but wonder if she found out about his activities. She has never commented.

I'm watching this in Canada on the Crave network, and they're releasing 1 episode per week, so I've only seen the first one. My understanding is that there are only four episodes total.

• Love 15

Can't remember where I read it, but he raped one of Camille's close friends, a family friend.  This woman had heard the rumors but thought that surely he would never touch her.  She was middle aged and a close friend of his wife.  And yet, he did.

• Love 1

Well done. I can understand alot of people in the Black community having mixed feelings. Yes he did awful awful things but he also did some good things for Black actors, stuntmen and comedians.

I was shocked to learn that this was going on since his ISpy days.  I was under the impression it was something that started in the late 70s.

I too believe that Camille knew what was going on but hey social standing, money, etc kept her quiet.

• Love 15

Finished watching this last night. I could only do one show a night because it was making me sick. I thought it was well done and quite upsetting. I was born in the 50's and my parents had all the records and my dad watched I Spy. We thought he was a very funny and talented man with a lovely family and very successful in all that he did. It pisses me off that he came across so wholesome when in reality he was a rich scumbag and rapist. I remember when the stories started coming out about the rapes I was a bit skeptical but as more was revealed I was pretty horrified. His wife had to have known-how could she not? I guess money and power can cover up almost anything. My heart goes out to the many victims-both known and unknown. I guess justice will be served when he dies-let God sort it out. 

• Love 21

This is excellent. I grew up watching The Electric Company and the Fat Albert Show. i had never heard the Spanish Fly routine or about the anti-drug album that he recorded. Some criminals are able to create a double life which Cosby did. I'm glad these women were able to talk about their assault and no longer feel ashamed. I'm also watching Secrets of the Playboy Mansion on A&E and it doesn't surprise me that he and Hugh Hefner were friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Bill Cosby only sexually assaulted white women?!?

No. So far the interviews featured (episodes 1 & 2) have been white survivors, but he assaulted both white and black women - more than 60 women have come forward.

I'm watching it on a platform that is only releasing 1 episode per week, so I haven't seen the whole thing yet. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As for Camille not being aware, there are old family friends who've said when he came to town to do his comedy shows it was well known he was a womanizer (same thing when Ike and Tina came to town).  If your average person heard about this, I find it hard to believe his wife didn't know.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

If your average person heard about this, I find it hard to believe his wife didn't know.

It sounds as if she might be kind of a frightening enabler/Lady Macbeth figure. Some of the quotes I read from her in Cosby's defense were very disturbing. She might be just as sociopathic as he apparently is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

This was really well done. The depth of Cosby's crimes is almost unfathomable. And the fact that he dropped so many "bread crumbs," as that one woman said, was just so creepy.

I was struck by the sex therapist who said (paraphrasing) that if we didn't have such a negative attitude in our culture about sex, Cosby could have paid someone to practice that kink about fucking drugged/unconscious women. That was ... something to think about. Seems like tricking the women would have been a huge part of what made that action arousing to him.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lovinbob said:

This was really well done. The depth of Cosby's crimes is almost unfathomable. And the fact that he dropped so many "bread crumbs," as that one woman said, was just so creepy.

I was struck by the sex therapist who said (paraphrasing) that if we didn't have such a negative attitude in our culture about sex, Cosby could have paid someone to practice that kink about fucking drugged/unconscious women. That was ... something to think about. Seems like tricking the women would have been a huge part of what made that action arousing to him.  

I couldn't believe he joked about Spanish Fly on Larry King. I don't know how he avoided getting caught with those drugs he was lucky not to be arrested.

• Love 1

Saw episode 2 and was discussing about it with a friend about how easily these women actually accepted pills from him and took them.

Hindsight is 20/20. Now I know that most rational people will not accept any type of pills and take them. But this guy used manipulation with his squeaky clean reputation and the same types of psychological tricks that fraudsters do. 

I guess he wasn't taking any chances with some of the women and just slipped it into their drinks.

Those poor women.  All of them.  He's a sociopath through and through.

I wonder how many of those women that were on the Cosby Show did he assault and wonder if the kids are still denying it and why Phylicia Rashad still stands by him.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

It sounds as if she might be kind of a frightening enabler/Lady Macbeth figure. Some of the quotes I read from her in Cosby's defense were very disturbing. She might be just as sociopathic as he apparently is.

Yeah she compared him to Emmett Till. Emmett Till. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2022 at 12:22 AM, Cheezwiz said:

I figure she must've known at some point. I've often wondered about the people working on the Cosby Show as well. Lisa Bonet had a well-publicized falling out with him in the 80's, which at the time, was assumed to be over the explicit role she took in the movie Angel Heart. I can't help but wonder if she found out about his activities. She has never commented.

I'm watching this in Canada on the Crave network, and they're releasing 1 episode per week, so I've only seen the first one. My understanding is that there are only four episodes total.

The way Cosby treated Lisa Bonet pinged my radar as a LITTLE GIRL (I’m a year older than Raven), when everything about Cosby came out, I believe Lisa saw something, or he tried something with her and she wouldn’t stand for it (I’m not blaming the victims, I’m staying Cosby probably tried to get her in a position where he could abuse her and she saw through it and said no)- so he tried to ruin her. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, milkyaqua said:

As for Camille not being aware, there are old family friends who've said when he came to town to do his comedy shows it was well known he was a womanizer (same thing when Ike and Tina came to town).  If your average person heard about this, I find it hard to believe his wife didn't know.

I think Camille at first thought he was just cheating- but then later learned these weren’t willing partners. I can believe she turned a blind eye- she wanted to keep her lifestyle and prestige. 

On 2/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, greekmom said:

Saw episode 2 and was discussing about it with a friend about how easily these women actually accepted pills from him and took them.

Hindsight is 20/20. Now I know that most rational people will not accept any type of pills and take them. But this guy used manipulation with his squeaky clean reputation and the same types of psychological tricks that fraudsters do. 

I guess he wasn't taking any chances with some of the women and just slipped it into their drinks.

Those poor women.  All of them.  He's a sociopath through and through.

I wonder how many of those women that were on the Cosby Show did he assault and wonder if the kids are still denying it and why Phylicia Rashad still stands by him.

Also- 2021 is a different time than the 1970s and 80s. The discussion of drugs around sexual assault is something kids learn about in middle school- it wasn’t a part of the popular lexicon then. And there’s a difference between taking a drug thinking you’ll get a “buzz” compared to taking something and BLACKING OUT 100% and being unable to consent to anything. 

By the kids- do you mean his bio kids or the kids he worked with? Cosby is a POS and a criminal- but I believe he never had a thing for kids. I believe all the child actors that never saw anything and said he treated them well, gave them financial advice. Also- so many child actors had good experiences on his set, he didn’t let anyone mess with the kids. I can also believe he had a “Madonna/whore” complex in his mind and there were women he wouldn’t touch- like Phylicia Rashad.

If you’re talking about his bio kids- I feel for them. He’s their father (and according to records a good one to them), he gave them a luxurious life- to know he did these things but still love him and be associated with that name has to be hard. I will drag Camille over and over, but kids tend to love their parents, if I were in their shoes I just wouldn’t comment. 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:51 PM, lovinbob said:

Cosby was crazy rich- of course he could’ve paid someone. And I’m sure there are people that do. But it wasn’t about the kink- it was about the power and control. I’m sure there are people that would’ve agreed for nonpayment, just because he was Cosby- but that would take the fun out of it. 

• Love 6

I watched the third episode tonight and it was shocking. The show covered the Cosby show era and beyond. I learned that he would offer actresses roles and then abuse them. His wife never visited the set and people claimed they never saw anything. He became extremely wealthy and I think used the money to shield himself from scrutiny. He also became more conservative while still abusing women.

• Love 5

I only watched a few minutes of episode 3. That singing and dancing number with Rudy. I forgot all about that. Rudy was terrific.

Anyone here a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist/psychology major?

How would you diagnose Cosby? What causes this kind of need to inspire, amuse and charm others, while simultaneously needing to control, humiliate and overpower?

• Love 4
On 2/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, lovinbob said:

Well, it's kind of like the doll that people want to design that can resemble the body patterns of a rape victim or life-like child dolls for pedophiles. I'm not saying it would work. It's probably not a proper substitute for the real thing with those people but it's just all ways to try and create less victims (as disgusting as it may sound).

• Love 1

I just watched the 3rd episode as well. While I knew people on his show(s) were probably enablers, it was shocking to hear how it played out for actresses who were used and abused by him. I loved how fierce and defiant the one actress was (I believe her name was Lise-lotte?). And how humiliating to have him charm family members while his victims were silently carrying the burden of the assaults. That made me shudder, because of course he'd do that. It sounded like he had people procuring for him prior to the Cosby show as well, based on the survivor accounts.

9 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

How would you diagnose Cosby? What causes this kind of need to inspire, amuse and charm others, while simultaneously needing to control, humiliate and overpower?

I'm so curious about this as well - his bizarre pathology astounds me: sociopath? narcissist? both?. Can someone with those tendencies successfully hide them from close family members long-term?

• Love 4

The part of all of this from a personal perspective is how Cosby can get you.

I'm watching the scene with the BBQ sauce supposedly being able to turn people on giving all of it the side eye now. But, when he ran to take the chicken out of Bud's hands I busted out laughing. The same with his facial expression while doing the lip synching.

It's like the bit on the boondocks. The joke was that anyone was capable of  forgiving R Kelly once he started singing. Like he was singing away any rational thought. That man became more popular AFTER Aaliyah and after the sex tape.

Cosby was just so damn talented. It's hard to deny that or want to drop all the moments he gave me. That's what makes it all so complicated. 

The part that made me the most sick was how he had his routines down. Offering the pills or drinks under the guise of getting loose, the head grabbing, gaslighting, improv exercises. 

I understand being conflicted on feelings about him as a performer but people still riding for him personally? I just can't deal with it. 

Lastly, its wild to me that while Cosby had rape allegations against him basically his whole career but it was him being a uppity conservative that pissed black people off more. I say this as a black man. The backlash against him for the pound cake speech and beyond was swift but it took decades for some people to be as outraged by his assaults.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Lastly, its wild to me that while Cosby had rape allegations against him basically his whole career it was him being a uppity conservative that pissed black people off more. I say this as a black man. The backlash against him for the pound cake speech and beyond was swift but it took decades for some people to be as outraged by his assaults.

Have you heard the phrase “black men are not disgusted by the white patriarchy but their place in it?” There is a LOT of misogyny in the black community (like everywhere else), so Cosby’s assault of women is something could people could turn a blind eye to, but how dare he criticize the black community- (rightly or wrongly)- that makes him a “traitor”. Okay to be a violent rapist, but don’t stand against your “people”. (I say this as a black woman)

The black men that wanted to be him, the black women that wanted to be the “pick me” woman and protect him….the only groups defending him that make sense (and they aren’t actually defending him- they are saying they didn’t know anything, all they know is how good he treated them) are the CHILD ACTORS he worked with. And even many of them (like Jaleel White) consistently say “the victims deserve Justice”. 

• Love 15

Kamau is on Fresh Air talking about the series.

Comes across as more definitive than on his CNN show or when he gave interviews about it.

If he's going to tackle this subject, maybe if he came across as more neutral like on his CNN show, maybe he wouldn't be as credible?

I haven't seen the doc yet.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, aghst said:

Kamau is on Fresh Air talking about the series.

Comes across as more definitive than on his CNN show or when he gave interviews about it.

If he's going to tackle this subject, maybe if he came across as more neutral like on his CNN show, maybe he wouldn't be as credible?

I haven't seen the doc yet.

He is neutral. He shows Cosby's history both good and bad. He gives the accusers their time to express their experience. He had a wealth of people with complicated feelings on Cosby. It's not a fluff piece or project out to tear Cosby down. It's dealing with the topic and why it's complicated.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 7
On 2/14/2022 at 7:16 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Have you heard the phrase “black men are not disgusted by the white patriarchy but their place in it?” There is a LOT of misogyny in the black community (like everywhere else), so Cosby’s assault of women is something could people could turn a blind eye to, but how dare he criticize the black community- (rightly or wrongly)- that makes him a “traitor”. Okay to be a violent rapist, but don’t stand against your “people”. (I say this as a black woman)

The black men that wanted to be him, the black women that wanted to be the “pick me” woman and protect him….the only groups defending him that make sense (and they aren’t actually defending him- they are saying they didn’t know anything, all they know is how good he treated them) are the CHILD ACTORS he worked with. And even many of them (like Jaleel White) consistently say “the victims deserve Justice”. 

On 2/14/2022 at 2:22 AM, Racj82 said:

The part of all of this from a personal perspective is how Cosby can get you.

I'm watching the scene with the BBQ sauce supposedly being able to turn people on giving all of it the side eye now. But, when he ran to take the chicken out of Bud's hands I busted out laughing. The same with his facial expression while doing the lip synching.

It's like the bit on the boondocks. The joke was that anyone was capable of  forgiving R Kelly once he started singing. Like he was singing away any rational thought. That man became more popular AFTER Aaliyah and after the sex tape.

Cosby was just so damn talented. It's hard to deny that or want to drop all the moments he gave me. That's what makes it all so complicated. 

The part that made me the most sick was how he had his routines down. Offering the pills or drinks under the guise of getting loose, the head grabbing, gaslighting, improv exercises. 

I understand being conflicted on feelings about him as a performer but people still riding for him personally? I just can't deal with it. 

Lastly, its wild to me that while Cosby had rape allegations against him basically his whole career it was him being a uppity conservative that pissed black people off more. I say this as a black man. The backlash against him for the pound cake speech and beyond was swift but it took decades for some people to be as outraged by his assaults.

I don't blame them. Shows like Fat Albert and the Cosby Show were all about promoting Black people and now he's calling them thugs? Cosby was a master of projecting his own faults onto other people. He was a dropout yet he was critical of a college student with a 2.5 GPA. He was a rapist calling out other people's behavior. I think his son's murder made him bitter.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I don't blame them. Shows like Fat Albert and the Cosby Show were all about promoting Black people and now he's calling them thugs? Cosby was a master of projecting his own faults onto other people. He was a dropout yet he was critical of a college student with a 2.5 GPA. He was a rapist calling out other people's behavior. I think his son's murder made him bitter.

It's not an either/or situation. I got tired of his holier than thou bullshit too. I'm saying people being more mad at or quicker to be mad at him for that instead of his actual crimes is wild to me. Also, his moral grandizing being more talked about in the media than his actual crimes. A lot of bullshit was ignored for decades but there was a immediate reaction to his speeches.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It's not an either/or situation. I got tired of his holier than thou bullshit too. I'm saying people being more mad at or quicker to be mad at him for that instead of his actual crimes is wild to me. Also, his moral grandizing being more talked about in the media than his actual crimes. A lot of bullshit was ignored for decades but there was a immediate reaction to his speeches.

Yup yup I understand what you’re saying 100%. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yup yup I understand what you’re saying 100%. 

It something that just struck me while watching. The pound cake speech. People making fun of or pissed at his "pull your pants up and school bullshit". I remember all the outrageous and discourse over that. Cosby multiple rape cases? I heard about it briefly a couple of times. Even then, it was more of people dismissing it than anything else.

Kind of the same with Weinstein. Him being an asshole. I heard about that long before I ever saw him. Him being a rapist? Never heard about it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Racj82 said:

It something that just struck me while watching. The pound cake speech. People making fun of or pissed at his "pull your pants up and school bullshit". I remember all the outrageous and discourse over that. Cosby multiple rape cases? I heard about it briefly a couple of times. Even then, it was more of people dismissing it than anything else.

Kind of the same with Weinstein. Him being an asshole. I heard about that long before I ever saw him. Him being a rapist? Never heard about it.

Well rape is a property crime against a woman/girl’s male guardian don’t you know? He didn’t break anyone’s ribs or scar up their pretty face so “whatever”. (Sarcasm- of course). 

It’s evidence of the attitude of misogyny and the entitlement to the bodies of women and girls. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 4
On 2/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, kathyk24 said:

This is excellent. I grew up watching The Electric Company and the Fat Albert Show. i had never heard the Spanish Fly routine or about the anti-drug album that he recorded. Some criminals are able to create a double life which Cosby did. I'm glad these women were able to talk about their assault and no longer feel ashamed. I'm also watching Secrets of the Playboy Mansion on A&E and it doesn't surprise me that he and Hugh Hefner were friends.

Ditto!

I'm wondering if there will be an episode about Hefner's regular famous party guests.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, lovinbob said:

I was struck by the sex therapist who said (paraphrasing) that if we didn't have such a negative attitude in our culture about sex, Cosby could have paid someone to practice that kink about fucking drugged/unconscious women. That was something to think about. Seems like tricking the women would have been a huge part of what made that action arousing to him.  

I saw a bunch of that kink in my uncle's browser history a few times, but his son and son-in-law lived there too, so I'm not sure who was watching it. I am pretty sure there are kink sites for like-minded people to enact these fantasies, but I always wondered how that would work, compared to doing it to someone unwitting.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, greekmom said:

I was reminded of this bit on Family Guy for some reason.

• Useful 1
On 2/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Cheezwiz said:

Exactly. She's no better than he is. 

• Love 7

Just watched the final episode. This was so, so, well done and powerful. All kudos to W. Kamau Bell for producing such a nuanced and thoughtful exploration.

The story from the University Professor who confronted Cosby in person was chilling, and really showed who Cosby was and what he was capable of once his carefully crafted persona slipped. I'm admittedly no psychiatrist, but I think people's assessments of him in this episode were bang on - he's some sort of sociopathic malignant narcissist. The one thing they CANNOT stand is being called out for any mis-deeds, or to have someone unmask them publicly. 

Bravo to the Ebony editor for pushing ahead with a story she knew would create a mega backlash in her community. I was also cheering when actor Michael Jai White called him a fucking monster, because that is what he is.

It was moving to see that at least a couple of women had full support from partners or family members, but my heart goes out to anyone who is sexually assaulted and is trying to come forward. It is such a hard, hard road. The sudden reversal of his sentence has got to be so difficult for all of these women.

• Sad 1
  • Love 12
On 2/12/2022 at 5:57 PM, Scarlett45 said:

By the kids- do you mean his bio kids or the kids he worked with? Cosby is a POS and a criminal- but I believe he never had a thing for kids. I believe all the child actors that never saw anything and said he treated them well, gave them financial advice. Also- so many child actors had good experiences on his set, he didn’t let anyone mess with the kids. I can also believe he had a “Madonna/whore” complex in his mind and there were women he wouldn’t touch- like Phylicia Rashad.

I meant the kids on the Cosby show.  

I saw the final episode. I can't believe what an ass Cosby was overall to people such as the Prof who just wanted to talk to him.

And I cannot believe he got out on a technicality.

I also cannot believe the only person that was in the core cast talking was Joseph C. Phillips.

As well, it's just sad that not many people believed these women (and powerful black women such as Oprah and Whoopi) until the famous black woman stood up and said her peace.  It just makes me sad how women who are rape and/or assault victims are treated as whores, it's their faults and that they were asking for it.

1 hour ago, greekmom said:

As well, it's just sad that not many people believed these women (and powerful black women such as Oprah and Whoopi) until the famous black woman stood up and said her peace.  It just makes me sad how women who are rape and/or assault victims are treated as whores, it's their faults and that they were asking for it.

Sadly,  the first few women who initially came forward were not believed until Hannibal Buress talked about it in a live stand-up set. They were kind of swept under the rug, but as soon as a man stated it out loud in public, media interest was renewed and that trickle of testimony became a rushing river.

And that one gentleman who was interviewed (I can't remember his name or how he was associated) who continued to believe Cosby was innocent even when woman after woman had come forward. It was only when he questioned a friend who had worked on the show and she burst into tears, that he realized the allegations were true.

People tend to have blinders on unless they or someone they know are personally affected. Combine that with Cosby's carefully crafted public image, his immense wealth & media influence and his devious M.O. of drugging victims so that their memories were hazy, and you have someone who was able to assault with impunity for decades. 

Even now the cognitive dissonance still blows my mind: the benevolent funny figure I grew up with, and the terrible human he turned out to be.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

I meant the kids on the Cosby show.  

I saw the final episode. I can't believe what an ass Cosby was overall to people such as the Prof who just wanted to talk to him.

And I cannot believe he got out on a technicality.

I also cannot believe the only person that was in the core cast talking was Joseph C. Phillips.

There is a narrative in the black community that the media, white women and many other things are just trying to tear the black man down. So, it only being white accusers played into that. It's crazy and everything should be taken as it comes and not go conspiracy theory for everything but not everyone operates that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

And that one gentleman who was interviewed (I can't remember his name or how he was associated) who continued to believe Cosby was innocent even when woman after woman had come forward. It was only when he questioned a friend who had worked on the show and she burst into tears, that he realized the allegations were true

That was Joseph C. Phillips, who appeared on the show as two different characters. Once as a blind date for Sondra in season 2, then as Denise’s husband, Martin. 

I haven’t warhead yet, but he said that in a video I stumbled upon on YouTube.

• Useful 2
On 2/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That was Joseph C. Phillips, who appeared on the show as two different characters. Once as a blind date for Sondra in season 2, then as Denise’s husband, Martin. 

I haven’t warhead yet, but he said that in a video I stumbled upon on YouTube.

And...on the relaunch of the mothership law and order, the first case back was a obvious Cosby parallel. They even got the guy who people used to say looked like Cosby from Scandal to play him. Throwing more dirt on the man is cool with me.

• Love 2

To me, and it’s just me here, there are way too many comments questioning his wife here. How can that be?  This man who did horrific things and somehow it becomes how his wife must have known, didn’t stop him?  Are we a serious people?  He’s horrific and it comes down to seemingly putting blame on her for him?  How? Why? So very strange to me. 

Edited by pennben
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, pennben said:

He’s horrific and it comes down to seemingly putting blame on her for him?  How? Why? So very strange to me. 

I don't think anyone is blaming his wife for his actions, but her continuing to stand by him steadfastly in the face of such overwhelming testimony is inevitably going to raise eyebrows. And she did more than just stand by his side - her comments on the victims were appalling and offensive to say the least. So no, she's certainly not responsible for what her husband got up to, but she's clearly not a sympathetic figure - and like it or not, her behavior only invites more speculation and scrutiny.

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Love 11
On 2/25/2022 at 2:15 AM, pennben said:

To me, and it’s just me here, there are way too many comments questioning his wife here. How can that be?  This man who did horrific things and somehow it becomes how his wife must have known, didn’t stop him?  Are we a serious people?  He’s horrific and it comes down to seemingly putting blame on her for him?  How? Why? So very strange to me. 

On 2/25/2022 at 1:28 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I don't think anyone is blaming his wife for his actions, but her continuing to stand by him steadfastly in the face of such overwhelming testimony is inevitably going to raise eyebrows. And she did more than just stand by his side - her comments on the victims were appalling and offensive to say the least. So no, she's certainly not responsible for what her husband got up to, but she's clearly not a sympathetic figure - and like it or not, her behavior only invites more speculation and scrutiny.

No, I am not blaming his wife for his actions. No way do I think she could've stopped him (outside of turning him over to the authorities). 

I think it's natural when someone is leading a "double life" to wonder if those closest to them had any idea. How good were they with the illusion? Were they duped too or a part of the deception/criminal life? People always question if parents/spouses/siblings/ co-workers knew. Often people procure victims for their partners, they are in on the crime together- I think its natural to speculate if that was the case.

(bolding mine) Yes, considering that his crimes were against women, Camille's statements were just more misogyny at its finest- HER husband wasn't a violent rapist, those women must've done xyz, it was never HER husband's fault, but all of other women's fault. 

If people wonder if the children he worked with (legit children, Keisha Knight Pullman was 5 years old when she started on the show) saw or knew anything, I could see how someone would ask if his life partner that he has been with for several decades saw or knew anything.

• Love 6
On 2/25/2022 at 12:15 AM, pennben said:

It's both proximity and the longevity of the marriage, IMO. Bill and Camille Cosby have been married since 1964, and I don't think it will ever be known exactly how long he was at this, when it started. Just the fact that she hasn't divorced him would be enough to get a side-eye from a lot of people given the number of women who have come forward, and she doesn't have to be complicit in his activities to have at least suspected something.

• Love 9