Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Wire

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The show is not as funny as it should be. I did like the Tour Guide, she was great.

I don't understand why Jay's adopted mother is sweating Asta so hard, Jay works at the diner with Asta's father, Jay and Asta see each other all the time.

• Like 1

I loved Liv's power move with the real estate agent and sheriff, where she took on the primary role.  She is my favorite character, but her repeated references to how poor she is seems unrealistic, since I assume she makes a decent salary.

I'm tired of Max, and pretty much everyone else.  It seems like Harry is only a minor character now.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I loved Liv's power move with the real estate agent and sheriff, where she took on the primary role. 

I loved that.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't understand why Jay's adopted mother is sweating Asta so hard, Jay works at the diner with Asta's father, Jay and Asta see each other all the time.

I kind of get it. Asta was so eager to connect, and it puts Jay in an awkward position. She's under pressure to respond, but she may not be interested, or she may have complex feelings about "being abandoned" or other things about the circumstances of her birth. It really is on Asta to be sensitive to that. For her, it's all joy to connect with Jay. But she needs to let Jay take the lead, and not impose her own feelings and neediness on Jay. It's a very complex and tough situation. Someone needs to be Jay's advocate, and I think that's what her mom was doing. She made it clear that she was not opposed to them connecting. I thought she was right about intervening. Jay was clearly uncomfortable and Asta was clearly leaning in. The fact that it's a small town and Jay can't avoid Asta makes it even more important and more awkward and more problematic that Asta told her she's her birthmom, and Jay is now forced to confront that all the time, when she may not have wanted to do so and should have been allowed to come to it on her own.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The show is not as funny as it should be. I did like the Tour Guide, she was great.

The tour guide was Jenna Lamia, who plays Judy Cooper, the woman who is obsessed with D'Arcy.

And I agree, the writing or timing seemed off in this episode. As much as I love the Sheriff and the Deputy, they weren't really clicking, except when she swooped in and took over the undercover operation with the real estate salesperson. 

pretty good episode, developing characters other than Harry.    I guess I didn't notice the timing/writing to be off....maybe I am off as well 😋

Ok, why would the police need to masquerade as a couple rather than just inquire with the realtor about the cabin's history directly? i get it makes a funny comedic scene, but it seems beyond reasonable for a 'real' police team. 

lol unisex bucket for the bathroom, nice quickie line. #42 as usual getting some great lines in there as well, i like him - he completely reminds me of Yaphit from the Orville (the little blob character).  Harry's painting, too funny - I thought it was going to be a tv showing Law and Order, but Harry covered that joke later.

Darcy, loving that color hair. Enjoyed your heart to heart with Asta on the water. I never noticed before, Darcy looks a lot like Kristen Wiig in the face.

Sheriff getting some funny lines, tho why so much disrespect towards your deputy? i counted at least 3-4 putdowns. I thought last season they were building some good rapport.

Sahar and Max, good, not too much.  I was surprised Max didn't cop to stealing the alien ball to Harry, considering all the weird crap that's happening to him.

Edited by Colorado David
adding
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

it's a small town

It's a really small town from what they have shown us so far. I keep an eye out for Ladysmith landmarks every episode and thus far the vast majority of the filming has taken place on First Ave between Roberts St and Gatacre St which is a span of one block. I think they filmed on High St once which is one block over. I was excited for a minute when Asta and D'arcy started cycling up First Ave into the residential area but the camera cut away pretty much immediately.

Having said that, I don't recognize the Mayor's house so it might be in a new development somewhere else in town. And the lake they were boating around on does not look familiar either although there is certainly no shortage of lakes in the area.

They also mentioned parallel parking in this episode but all the parking on First Avenue is angled. I'll have to keep an eye out for that to see which way the cars are typically parked.

• Love 5

And I agree, the writing or timing seemed off in this episode

I like the show but it has a very uneven tone. The scenes with Harry are just absurdly silly and then they transition to serious scenes with Asta and her father, or Asta and D'Arcy. The scenes with the Sheriff and his deputy are somewhere in the middle. It's weird.

I was surprised Max didn't cop to stealing the alien ball to Harry, considering all the weird crap that's happening to him.

I think he did, and we just didn't see it. Harry said he'd help them if Sahar got up and yelled "I farted," which she did but it was during the Sheriff's conversation with his deputy on the other side of the restaurant, and then you see Max and Sahar run out of the restaurant in the background. Presumably Harry told them about the spaceball or whatever it is and they ran off to get it. But that was a weird edit.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

And I agree, the writing or timing seemed off in this episode.

Right there with you. It's not as good as the second half of season 1 was. However, even back in seaon 1 it took 4 episodes for the show to start really getting good. Maybe it just needs to find it's voice again. I am hopeful for what is coming and think the entertainment value will likely improve.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:
7 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I didn't notice the timing/writing to be off.

Neither did I.

They do a lot of improvising during the script and I think, they think, they are funnier than they really are. The characters are being more quirkier than they are being funny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Asta can be a real hardass when she wants to be, getting Harry to save the world with a toaster. Even if Asta hadn't insisted, I feel like when Harry's people come he would still hesitate when it comes to killing all humans, he's grown a bit more attached to humanity and is feeling more human then he wants to admit. 

The tour guide was hilarious, especially Max's excitement at being related to the miner who died via being shot by his wife in a whorehouse. And I loved Liv jumping in with her own cool cover story with the real estate agent.

• Love 4

I absolutely hated the Realtor scene with the "civilian" sheriffs.  No need to go so deeply absurd with the cover stories.  Then, it ends with a totally dialed-in agent who declared she knew it all.  Just how long was the cover story supposed to last?  Any chance she would not be hounding them for A potential sale?  Any chance she would do as much background checking as she could to create a sale?  Uhm, yeah.

The tour de farce was so evocative of Kirk from Gilmore Girls.  Lord, how I loathed that character.

And that is the problem here - Patience is no Stars Hollow, but that is exactly what TPTB are attempting to create, with a quirky alien twist.   This is some BS.

• Love 1

Was that Nanci Griffith's version of "Boots of Spanish Leather"?  It sounded like her, but it was hard for me to tell -- I was trying to listen to both the song and the conversation.  That was a good scene.

I also loved Liv jumping in and taking over the narrative at the open house.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even if Asta hadn't insisted, I feel like when Harry's people come he would still hesitate when it comes to killing all humans, he's grown a bit more attached to humanity and is feeling more human then he wants to admit. 

He already saved Max instead of continuing towards his home planet, so I think you're right about that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Was that Nanci Griffith's version of "Boots of Spanish Leather"?  It sounded like her, but it was hard for me to tell -- I was trying to listen to both the song and the conversation.  That was a good scene.

I also loved Liv jumping in and taking over the narrative at the open house.  

It was! I had the subtitles on to catch some dialog and she was listed as the song began.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Colorado David said:

I never noticed before, Darcy looks a lot like Kristen Wiig in the face.

To me she looks like a dead ringer for Linda Cardellini. 

Why the heck was she making all those cracks about kissing Ben during the poker game? After the way Ben and Kate beat the crap out of the two agents, she ought to be scared of those comments getting back to Kate.

It seemed like Harry and Max had become friends by the end of last season. So why is Harry now being mean to Max again and saying Asta is his only friend?

How will Harry explain the “two Astas” thing to Liv and the Sheriff? Speaking of Liv, I loved it when she stole the Sheriff’s cover story and made him the stay-ay-home dad!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

It seemed like Harry and Max had become friends by the end of last season. So why is Harry now being mean to Max again and saying Asta is his only friend?

He's still mad at Max for stowing away and causing him to have to return to Earth.  And also causing him to crash his ship, so now he's stuck.  I'd probably be a little mad at Max, too.

6 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

It was! I had the subtitles on to catch some dialog and she was listed as the song began.

Thanks! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He's still mad at Max for stowing away and causing him to have to return to Earth.  And also causing him to crash his ship, so now he's stuck.  I'd probably be a little mad at Max, too.

Thanks! 

He also thinks Max stole one of his spacecraft orbs and Max hasn't confessed to it or given it back.

• Love 2

Loved Liv reading Harry’s lips and being dead-on about his comment regarding Asta and the toilet in the bunker. But then Liv and the Sheriff thought that nonsense couldn’t have been what Harry was actually saying.

Also, ”My grandma talks a lot of shit about me.” 🤣

I also cracked up at Max volunteering to jump up and yell that he farted. “I’ll do it. I’ll be your puppet!” Thank goodness Max has Sahar as a friend, she’s the brains of their operation, gah.

• LOL 1