Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Kettle Gryp; Calm Strips; The Blowzee; OverEZ Coop

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

First into the Tank are entrepreneurs from Locust Grove, Georgia, who present their portable tool that instantly turns any standard dumbbell into a dynamic workout. Entrepreneurs from Chesapeake, Virginia, introduce their product designed to stick to anything and everything to help soothe anxiety and fidgeting; while entrepreneurs from Thomashire, Connecticut, pitch their device that allows you to partake in the tradition of blowing out birthday candles without spreading germs. An entrepreneur from Manheim, Pennsylvania, hopes his chicken coop creation built by Amish craftsmen will meet all those backyard needs.

In a Shark Tank update, entrepreneurs, Judy Schott from Mandeville, Louisiana, and Nita Gassen from Lacombe, Louisiana, update their investor, Lori Greiner, on Better Bedder, their giant headband that wraps around your mattress to make changing sheets and making the bed more convenient.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Robert Herjavec.

Shark Season 13/episode 13, I'm just glad it's not Friday the 13th.  With Mark, Lori, Daymond, Robert, and Kevin.

1.   Kettle Gryp-turns a barbell into a kettle bell with better grip.  Great profits.   Lori makes the deal for preferred stock (means she gets profit distributions).  (I missed the update, how sad the USMC pilot founder passed away).  ( Thanks to those who watched, and updated about that. I was so irritated by Chet, with the chicken coops that I turned off the second Chet left the room).  

2.   Calm Strips-strips that reduce stress, in a healthy way.    Margins are good, but any medical proof?   Robert makes the deal.

3.   The Blowzee-A safe, hygienic way to blow out Birthday candles.   No deal.    

4.   OverEZ Chicken Coop-Amish made Chicken Coops.  Didn't another chicken coop company pitch a few seasons ago?  Daymond has chickens I think, and bees too.   Chuckles the chicken, and her buddies, make an appearance. They are modular, assemble in 30 minutes.  Hold 5 to 20 chickens.   he wants $1 million.   Robert says Chet is "One crazy chicken".      They sell in the U.S., with $21 million overall sales, and $9 million this year, and they want to expand to Europe.    He used to own 68%, now he owns 100% of the company.   2020 $6.8 million, probably $9 million last year, and this year probably $12 million, if the supply chain issues resolve.   Large $1899, small $1099, and margins are good.   They have two factories, in Lancaster, PA, and Dublin GA (yes, we have Amish in Georgia).   

Founder Chet is scattered, and can't keep on focus.  He keeps talking to Robert about the European factory, but Robert is out, and doesn't ever want back in.   I think Daymond wants to rescue the chickens from Chet, and take them home to his coop to live in peace.  Chet is irritating the living snot out of Kevin, who is his last shark.   I couldn't be in business with Chet for one second, he would drive me bonkers.   Actually, I wouldn't want to be anywhere with Chet, listening to him is maddening for me.   No deal.    

I've read that the actual pitches take a really long time, so I'm sure the sharks were all really over Chet long before his pitch ended. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 9

Chicken coop: I’m with Mr. Wonderful: What the phück was that? Dude was nuts! His creepy smile turned me off from the start. Why did he think Robert was Czech? Loved that Kevin pulled his offer. Bet the chickens begged the Sharks to take them home!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

OMG, the chicken coop pitch might have been the funniest one I have ever seen on Shark Tank. By the end of it I was laughing so hard. I said to hubby that Chet was a bird brain. Hubby thought he might have been pecked in the head a few times. Daymond asking if they were on Candid Camera was hysterical. And Kevin's "What the f**k was that? " at the end pretty much summed it up. 

How sad that one of the co founders of Kettlegrip has passed. A very sobering end to the episode. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Kettlegryp founder who died?   I couldn’t find anything.  He looked great so assume it was an accident.  

I just saw the in memorium announcement at the end.  

I didn’t get the calm strips and they wouldn’t help me with anxiety. If just rubbing a texture helped anxiety people could make their own. The chicken coop guy was very strange, loved Mark and Damon rolling their eyes.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1

I didn’t understand why anyone would need (or want to invent) a high tech candle snuffer. First of all, who is spitting on their own cakes? Even the little kids I’ve seen have better control. Second, if you’re worried about blowing Covid germs, just don’t have candles. It’s not required. Or make cupcakes and put a few candles on just the birthday person’s. To me, this was a classic case of overthinking a non-problem.

I think Chicken Guy was off his meds.

• Love 5

He said he was from Amish country, not that he was Amish himself. I don't think any observant Amish person would go on television. My DVR has been cutting off the last minute of Shark Tank because it can only record two things at once, it's recording Drag Race from 8-10 and it switches to the other program that starts at  9pm. All shows are off their scheduled time by about 30 seconds now, have you noticed? So I didn't see the death announcement. I thought tat was one of the best ideas they've ever had on.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Kettlegryp founder who died?   I couldn’t find anything.  He looked great so assume it was an accident.  

https://shawangunkjournal.com/obituaries/2022/01/03/andrew-thomas-47/674mga?open=1&force_ignore_preferences=1

The article doesn't let you cut and paste it, and you have to sign up for an account in order to read it. However, they only take your name and email. They don't ask for a credit card number. 

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn’t get the calm strips and they wouldn’t help me with anxiety. If just rubbing a texture helped anxiety people could make their own. 

The way they were talking about them at first, I thought it was going to be a scratch and sniff thing with something they claimed was a soothing scent. Maybe that can be their next project. 

• Love 2

That wasn't just funny at the end that chicken coop guy was obsessed with Robert. Not sure if it was a stalker or sexual thing but .....WT actual F?  My god...go away. 

Those strips to calm classic fad.  Cheap easy to try you'll try once no repeat customers.  I wish someone had asked. I don't care about the return rate. It's $12. No one bothers.  How many repeat customers?  Fidget spinners all over again. 

Kettle weight thing good idea just doesn't appeal to me. 

I kind of like the blower thing.  Not just for candles...catchy little device though admittedly not sure what other application it has.  

1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

The way they were talking about them at first, I thought it was going to be a scratch and sniff thing with something they claimed was a soothing scent. Maybe that can be their next project. 

I thought the same thing and I think it would be easy to add that feature. Surprised they haven't done or thought of that.  

• LOL 1
23 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Chicken coop: I’m with Mr. Wonderful: What the phück was that? Dude was nuts! His creepy smile turned me off from the start. Why did he think Robert was Czech? Loved that Kevin pulled his offer. Bet the chickens begged the Sharks to take them home!

I was also so happy when Mr. wonderful pulled his offer. Frankly, he should have done it much sooner. He came way too close to making a deal with that nut. Daymond caught on quicker and pulled his offer the first time he tried to bring Robert back in.  Just totally bizarre behavior.

Oh!  And when he pulled out his notecard to “make sure he covered everything” while Mark was talking to him and giving him advice?  Unbelievably bad pitch.  The product is selling currently, but with him running the business I am not confident that will continue. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Robert should be flattered that chicken dude was so into him, because no one else that comes on the show seems to be! 😜

The Calm Strips people said they wanted him, too. I have no idea why. He has the fewest deals that come to fruition, and he isn't the type to sell ice to the Eskimos like several of the others who shall remain nameless. I don't see him going out and producing a big hustle to sell strips of sandpaper.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, me5671 said:

I was also so happy when Mr. wonderful pulled his offer. Frankly, he should have done it much sooner. He came way too close to making a deal with that nut. Daymond caught on quicker and pulled his offer the first time he tried to bring Robert back in.  Just totally bizarre behavior.

Oh!  And when he pulled out his notecard to “make sure he covered everything” while Mark was talking to him and giving him advice?  Unbelievably bad pitch.  The product is selling currently, but with him running the business I am not confident that will continue. 

He has plenty of competitors at a much better price point. I bought mine at http://omlet.com which has the added benefit of being designed to be resistant to predators. That was badly needed in my Boulder, CO backyard. We had visits from racoons, skunks, red fox and bobcats, none of whom were able to breach the perimeter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That wasn't just funny at the end that chicken coop guy was obsessed with Robert. Not sure if it was a stalker or sexual thing but .....WT actual F?  My god...go away. 

Those strips to calm classic fad.  Cheap easy to try you'll try once no repeat customers.  I wish someone had asked. I don't care about the return rate. It's $12. No one bothers.  How many repeat customers?  Fidget spinners all over again. 

Kettle weight thing good idea just doesn't appeal to me. 

I kind of like the blower thing.  Not just for candles...catchy little device though admittedly not sure what other application it has.  

The chicken coop pitch went way too far into the uncomfortable zone for me. You got the early hint that the pitch was going south with the Mark Cuban/notecard, but then it got so much worse. The fixation with Robert was so bizarre, of all Sharks to fight for, my choice would never be Robert. And did he really think Robert had some super secret connections in Europe when he left at 8 years old? 

I was excited to see the anxiety product pitch come up, but I didn't really get the product. Agreed that touting the lack of return rate seemed silly, a $12 investment is one that most people would just swallow if they didn't like the product.

Candle blower product...another one of those products where the inventors overestimate the market and the post-covid world. It's true that there are a lot of things that we view differently after the pandemic (crowds, elevators, close-talkers), but I just don't see a birthday cake candle blower becoming a household item for anyone beyond the most germaphobic types.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the kettle grip product, but I WAS super impressed by the pitcher and strangely devastated by the in memorium announcement at the end, considering I hadn't known the guy existed prior to that.

He was such an impressive speaker and had such a confident vibe, when he partnered with Lori, I was saying that he should be on every damn infomercial they do, only to see at the end that he'd passed away. 

• Love 4

I don't think the chicken coop market is as big as Chet thinks it is as many cities and HOAs have restrictions and many people just don't want the expense and work.  To actually produce chicks to grow into chickens for meat purposes requires a rooster which neighbors really don't want...  Good for him for doing well, but the market may just not be endless.  He in one of those presenters that I don't see anyone being able to work with long-term (and there have been many).  The Sharks were all trying to rein him in and help him make a deal but he just wouldn't listen.

It saddened me that one of the presenters died.  I liked their product (not enough to buy) and pitch.  I am glad that he made the deal and that his family will most likely have financial security due to the deal.  He seemed personable and knowledgeable.  

5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

The fixation with Robert was so bizarre, of all Sharks to fight for, my choice would never be Robert. And did he really think Robert had some super secret connections in Europe when he left at 8 years old? 

From a communist country that no longer exists. If anyone understands the logic behind it, please explain.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Candle blower product...another one of those products where the inventors overestimate the market and the post-covid world. It's true that there are a lot of things that we view differently after the pandemic (crowds, elevators, close-talkers), but I just don't see a birthday cake candle blower becoming a household item for anyone beyond the most germaphobic types. 

I can see it being an add-on item at the dollar store: when you're picking up your other party supplies, grab one of those for the fun aspect of it, not because you think it will save the world.

Chances are with the whole group crammed into the dining room for the presentation of the cake, you're going to get exposure to everybody's germs even without anyone blowing directly on the cake.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I have to be honest, since Covid started, we've been cutting a piece off the cake and then blowing the candles out on that.  I can't imagine that I can ever go back to eating cake now that someone has blown out the candles on.  I see your point about germs in the room, but for me that's not as bad as someone actually blowing on my food.

Chet the chicken guy was a lunatic and I can't imagine that he's managed to make this much money so far.

The kettle bell thing was cool - if I needed kettle bells, I would definitely order one to convert my hand weights.

The sensory things just seemed nuts.  I get the whole idea - but these particular things were a bit nuts.

• Love 2

New theory (which might be giving dude too much credit): I think chicken coop guy THOUGHT he was doing the thing where one shark is out and one gives him an offer, but he really wants both so he asks if they'd do it together. Except he botched the wording completely - which he actually seemed to do with most of his interactions with the sharks. Like how he kept saying "I want to say yes to your offer" to Kevin, instead of saying "yes" or "you have a deal". He couldn't even say yes clearly. Kevin's like, if you want to say yes say it, and guy was like "no I did". Ugh. Bad communicators should not run businesses. Of course they do, but they really shouldn't and he's a fantastic example of that.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, aemom said:

I have to be honest, since Covid started, we've been cutting a piece off the cake and then blowing the candles out on that.  I can't imagine that I can ever go back to eating cake now that someone has blown out the candles on.  I see your point about germs in the room, but for me that's not as bad as someone actually blowing on my food.

Completely agree, the thought of eating that cake is now so gross to me.  Same as when I saw that video of the germ dispersal that happens when you flush with the lid up - ugh.  It took some training but no one in our family, male or female, does that now.  

• Love 1

I was amazed by the chicken guy and after reading these comments I had to go back and watch his segment again. There's really something off about him. I think he came in primarily focused on his European expansion and had this misguided notion that he'd go hard on the "foreign" Shark no matter what. What a huge miss.

That has to be one of the most entertaining Shark Tank segments ever. In a supremely cringey way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I was amazed by the chicken guy and after reading these comments I had to go back and watch his segment again. There's really something off about him. I think he came in primarily focused on his European expansion and had this misguided notion that he'd go hard on the "foreign" Shark no matter what. What a huge miss.

That has to be one of the most entertaining Shark Tank segments ever. In a supremely cringey way.

Especially hilarious since the “foreign” shark grew up in Canada. 

• LOL 3