Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

I also think Madi H is super competitive you can tell with the stuff she says about Papadakis/Cizeron. 

I think Madi H is just one of those people (like Kobe, or MJ) who is intense and super-competitive. Even more so than the usual athlete. I think she probably is a nice person when not competing for medals.

I saw an interview with Kristi Yamaguchi where she said that a long time ago she shared ice with Katia Gordeeva and Katia screamed at her. Kristi says years later she became close friends with Katia and they laugh about it now, but back in the day Katia was intense and fearsome on the ice. Apparently she used to even yell at Sergei in practice.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Madi H is just one of those people (like Kobe, or MJ) who is intense and super-competitive. Even more so than the usual athlete. I think she probably is a nice person when not competing for medals.

I saw an interview with Kristi Yamaguchi where she said that a long time ago she shared ice with Katia Gordeeva and Katia screamed at her. Kristi says years later she became close friends with Katia and they laugh about it now, but back in the day Katia was intense and fearsome on the ice. Apparently she used to even yell at Sergei in practice.

Yeah I tend to agree with that and it makes sense why she gets along with most of the skaters in Montreal. I did think the stuff with her mom was sweet. I've always liked Chock/Bates more, but I wish I could root for Madi H without having to root for Zach.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Anyway, since they're going with Valieva I guess they aren't worried about a Julia Lipnitskaia situation happening again. 

I don’t get why they’d do this. They have this competition in the bag, and the other two women could easily win the event with room for error. Are they subbing for both pairs and dance?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I don’t get why they’d do this. They have this competition in the bag, and the other two women could easily win the event with room for error. Are they subbing for both pairs and dance?

I wonder if they were originally thinking about putting Davis in for the Free Ice Dance so that she could get a gold medal for herself (and her mother).  But I agree, I don't know why they're not putting in one of the other ladies for the free.

13 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

They're not splitting anything. 

22 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I think Sasha Trusova has been having rough practices, so they don't want to crush her by having her flame out in the team competition.

24 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I'm curious what the rationale is too. You'd think they'd want more medals for their athletes. I'd also think they'd be concerned about Nicky's injury...

29 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I was wondering when Kristi would have shared ice with Katia but then I remembered that Kristi and Rudy were in pairs. They did side by side triple flips too. Pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Sasha Trusova has been having rough practices, so they don't want to crush her by having her flame out in the team competition.

Fair enough, but why not go with Anna? Her practices are looking good. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Fair enough, but why not go with Anna? Her practices are looking good. 

Idk, Anna's treated a bit like the red-headed stepchild of Eteri's group. Shes the much more consistent skater though compared to Trusova.

Here are Yamaguchi and Galindo:

• Love 4

Thanks for posting Kristi & Rudi skating pairs. While watching them, I started remembering what Rudi said several years later about his life at this time. He endured a lot, just to keep on competing. I wonder how this pairs team would've fared if Kristi had continued in pair skating.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I think there should either be a limit or you only get extra points on doing it once or twice. If some people prefer jumping that way that's fine but I don't think extra points should be given if it's simply easier for some skaters to jump that way.

You don't get extra points for doing it. It's not a GOE or level feature.

The way I understand the arms thing is that it makes the jump harder because it changes your center of gravity. If there is no GOE or level feature for it - what is the point of doing it?

I thought that, because holding your arms over your head made the jump harder, you received some kind of bonus for it. Can someone please explain?

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, SeanC said:

You don't get extra points for doing it. It's not a GOE or level feature.

I'm surprised there's no points for doing it. I figured that's the only reason the Russians were doing it like how in 2018 they would just casually skate around until the second half of the programs because that's when they got bonus points. Did it used to add points, the incentive was removed, and then the Russians stuck with it cause that was the only way their skaters knew to jump? 

• Love 1

I think it may have been a GOE feature at some point prior to 2018, but it hasn't been for a while. Skaters still do it because it looks cool and since it's difficult it tells the judges that they're skilled.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

The way I understand the arms thing is that it makes the jump harder because it changes your center of gravity. If there is no GOE or level feature for it - what is the point of doing it?

I thought that, because holding your arms over your head made the jump harder, you received some kind of bonus for it. Can someone please explain?

It does make the jump harder if a skater isn't used to doing it that way. These days though there are a lot of skaters training to do it that way from an early age, so it isn't necessarily (much) harder for them.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2

Even with the mistakes it was a nice skate but, again, pick upbeat music! The Shibs made Coldplay work perfectly for their programs but that doesn't mean it's the right music for everyone.

Ok the theme of this Olympics is Let's Choose Boring Music. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

The only thing I'm liking about the NBC feed is the music is so loud I can barely hear Tara and Johnny.

At the same time, all of these programs are ...sad. I mean, the pandemic has been rough and we are all in weird places, but every routine is so sad.

• Love 6

I like the music choice from Peng and Jin. I guess what I'm saying is: trumpets, drums, anything that gets the blood moving. I'd love to see someone pick some 80s metal but I suspect the judges will use that against them so I won't hold my breath.

• Love 3
Just now, BlackberryJam said:

At the same time, all of these programs are ...sad. I mean, the pandemic has been rough and we are all in weird places, but every routine is so sad.

Agreed. Very flat and uninspiring.

Are any of the skating events live tonight? I didn't realize NBC was showing earlier footage. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, I already watched it all on Peacock! 😀

me too.  I was reading people posting after the even had already gone to intermission for a while and was like "wtf" so I switched over to see where they were.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ouinason said:

wow, I had no idea that the NBC feed was so far behind!

Yes, my feed is quite behind the comments posted here.

That fall by the Russians was scary!   I hope they are okay, but I do wonder.

13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:
13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I gasped. I had been bored to tears by the program and just wanted that dullness to end. The music was like what they play in a Disney film during the sad parental death. Then that horrible fall. I'm surprised no one broke a bone or bled.

It was Snowstorm. There was a time that I didn’t feel like I was watching Worlds or the Olympics unless some Russian skater was skating to Snowstorm. It’s a bit depressing  and monotonous.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Love 1