Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

A ton of skiers are crapping out early on the Super G course so it should wrap up here in a moment.

Caught that.  It is pretty cool that Ryan Cochran-Something won Silver.  His mom, Barbara Cochran won Gold in skiing 50 years ago!  I’m old enough that her name is familiar.

Back to skating on NBC.  Thanks for the info about the app and/ or Peacock (which I don’t have), but I appreciate you letting me know.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 5

Oh no Yuzu! Yikes. Well no gold for him. But he can stay in medal contention if he stays on his game for the remainder of the skate. 

Looking at the score I think he's off the podium. Wow. This sucks. If he'd hit the first jump he'd be in first. SMH.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Hanyu popped a jump. Is the scoring such that there's no way he wins gold again or can he pull if off if he lands that quad axel in the free?

Quad Axel doesn’t have enough base value 

• Love 1
Just now, KittenPokerCheater said:

I don't know if he's upset or not at peak performance shape, but I've never seen him that winded before.

I've seen him winded like that many times. I'm thinking he had a brain fart on that first jump. Scott Hamilton has talked about it many times, where the brain just says nope and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Could've been nerves too.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Enero said:

I've seen him winded like that many times. I'm thinking he had a brain fart on that first jump. Scott Hamilton has talked about it many times, where the brain just says nope and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Could've been nerves too.

Johnny said the same thing. That your body just does it (to protect itself), and there's nothing you can do.

• Love 1

I didn't realize Hanyu is as old as he is (well, "old"). For some reason I thought he was still in his early to mid 20s. Time is totally messed up in my brain over the last two years. Poor guy, it looks like he just had a brain fart and couldn't salvage the jump. This certainly makes things more interesting. 

2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

A quad axel doesn't have enough base value? Is it because it's never been done in Olympic competition?

Nathan’s free is stacked in comparison to Yuzu. I believe Nathan has a 4Lz+3T in the second half as well. Yuzu would have to be 100% clean and get help in order to win. 

A 4A has a base value is 12.50. It’s not worth it to do it, especially since we haven’t seen him rotate it fully. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

A quad axel doesn't have enough base value? Is it because it's never been done in Olympic competition?

I’m not sure how base value is determined but it’s a 12.50. Base value with the 4A is still 10 below Nathan. 

1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

Nathan’s free is stacked in comparison to Yuzu. I believe Nathan has a 4Lz+3T in the second half as well. Yuzu would have to be 100% clean and get help in order to win. 

A 4A has a base value is 12.50. It’s not worth it to do it, especially since we haven’t seen him rotate it fully. 

That makes sense.

2 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I wonder if Hanyu is just going to scrap his free skate and spend the allotted time doing 4A until he lands one, since a three peat is probably off the table. 

He has nothing to lose and nothing to prove. I think he's going to go all out in the free skate. I wouldn't be surprised if he skates like he did at 2017 worlds when he was in 5th after the short and skated lights out to win gold. He has no chance of winning gold here unless there's an absolute disaster with the skaters ahead of him, but my point is,  I don't think he'll hold back. He's a competitor first and will do his best to skate to his full potential. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Constant Viewer said:

I know! I wish they would let the athletes have at least some time before bombarding them with questions.

But then who would make them cry/almost cry on camera and deny NBC the melodrama they abuse for ratings??

1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

Yuzu is saying that his blade might have caught a  divot… Yikes. 

He kept checking the ice on his way off. That's sad, if so. 

Also -- as much as I love Shoma Uno, the judges apparently ignored him touching the ice after his combination jump. It was very plain to see, and he even looked surprised by his score, perhaps thinking it should be lower given the mistake. Did no one else see it? Would they go back later and change the score if someone brought it up? It definitely wasn't part of the program.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, justmehere said:

He kept checking the ice on his way off. That's sad, if so. 

Also -- as much as I love Shoma Uno, the judges apparently ignored him touching the ice after his combination jump. It was very plain to see, and he even looked surprised by his score, perhaps thinking it should be lower given the mistake. Did no one else see it? Would they go back later and change the score if someone brought it up? It definitely wasn't part of the program.

Judges seem especially lenient tonight. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Tara was talking about negative grade of execution after that happened, explaining that the element would have a low score… and then it didn’t. 

5 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I wonder if Jason is clean that he might be ahead of Yuzu…

The way these guys are skating I think Yuzu could easily end up in 10th going into the FS. So to answer your question, I think it is possible. Though if he doesn't have a quad, unlikely.

Edited by Enero
5 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Tara was talking about negative grade of execution after that happened, explaining that the element would have a low score… and then it didn’t. 

OK. I'm watching on Peacock, so I didn't hear that. Strange. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Enero said:

The way these guys are skating I think Yuzu could easily end up in 10th going into the FS. So to answer your question, I think it is possible. Though if he doesn't have a quad, unlikely.

I’m trying to be hopeful. I want him to do so well even though I know he won’t medal. 

• Love 2