Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: End Game

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing January 9, 2022:

The team must rely on a criminal for his expertise to help take down an even bigger threat. Meanwhile, Officers Chen and Bradford investigate the murder of an unhoused teenager who used to be friends with Tamara.

28 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

What does "unhoused" mean?

"Unhoused" sounds to me like a more accurate and broader term for "homeless" people because some people may live, for example, under an overpass, but think of that location as "home."

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

What does "unhoused" mean?

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Unhoused" sounds to me like a more accurate and broader term for "homeless" people because some people may live, for example, under an overpass, but think of that location as "home."

It is the Los Angeles political language for the homeless. Sort of like South Central L.A. (Mid Wilshire presumably is in the Central part) became South L.A.

Scratch that, despite being almost downtown Olympic Division is in West and not Central Bureau so I guess Mid Wilshire would be there in organization if seen as central to the basin outside of LAPD. 

Edited by Raja
37 minutes ago, Raja said:

It is the Los Angeles political language for the homeless.

Oh, so we all know they're homeless but we don't want to call them homeless so we use the word unhoused so that everybody will know we mean the homeless? I don't...

Oh! Los Angeles! it all makes sense now.

• Love 2

A midlife career switch vs a woman you've been dating for, what, six months?

I've been involved with a narcissistic sociopath, and while what Bailey said about his treatment tracks, she needs to get her life in order before jumping into a new relationship. Jason's a dangerous and sociopathic malignant narc, which is pretty hardcore.

And, of course, Nyla's pregnant by Donovan.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Well, at least Nolan is well-versed in the mechanics of divorce. He'll be fine. Or maybe Bayley will still get the Cartwright woman treatment and, oh, I don't know, fall under the wheels of a runaway stagecoach? From their western-themed wedding?

So the kid who killed the homeless teen should get manslaughter, not murder, right?

Another pregnancy plot?!?! 

Are cops allowed to star in their own reality shows? Especially rookie cops??? That just seems wrong. 

Oscar the prison psychopath is Nolan's go-to guy for advice on psychopathy? Doesn't LA have a version of Dr. Skoda or Dr. Olivet?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, at least Nolan is well-versed in the mechanics of divorce. He'll be fine. Or maybe Bayley will still get the Cartwright woman treatment and, oh, I don't know, fall under the wheels of a runaway stagecoach? From their western-themed wedding?

So the kid who killed the homeless teen should get manslaughter, not murder, right?

Are cops allowed to star in their own reality shows? Especially rookie cops??? That just seems wrong. 

Oscar the prison psychopath is Nolan's go-to guy for advice on psychopathy? Doesn't LA have a version of Dr. Skoda or Dr. Olivet?

And I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Jason, unless Bailey gets written off the show. He'll, somehow, get his sentence reduced, and be released (for "good behavior" since he's a narc). I'm sure his next step will be to attempt to murder Bailey.

The cops should have let the Southern Front kill off Jason, if they wanted an actual end to Bailey's suffering.

She and Nolan still have no chemistry, but that doesn't stop the showrunners for giving him these implausible romances. LOL.

Since Nyla has had difficulty getting pregnant in the past, I suspect she might lose this baby. I don't think The Rookie has done a storyline on miscarriage, yet, right? Also, are we sure it's not ex's? I don't think that much time has elapsed between these episodes, so it's possible. It's not as if we're fast forwarding a year ahead on these storylines.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

And, of course, Nyla's pregnant by Donovan.

If Donovan is her ex, who she slept with on New Year's Eve, that's↑ what I said as soon as she was told about the pregnancy.

Now we'll have to look forward to some more "baby drama" or the very over-used miscarriage scenario.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Death during the commission of a felony, stealing already stolen goods in this case, is felony murder. Given the new Deputy DA probable Lucy's future love interest was usually pushing for the pushing for the max but decided this was a juvenile case could have pushed to keep the kid in youth authority until he is 25..

Detective Harper knowing she is pregnant and going into combat like Detective Lopez did. I thought it was wrong then and I still think it is wrong. Some folks react to possibilities of canine characters on shows getting hurt, the pregnant fighters are my don't do that stories

Given that LAPD once had its own Cops like series I think that following an infamous "boot" isn't as far out of line as other plot points from this show.

This LAPD where one division's watch handles everything and new Detective Lopez runs murder investigations all by herself will only get a Dr Olivet when Officer Nolan has a need for a new girlfriend 

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, preeya said:

If Donovan is her ex, who she slept with on New Year's Eve, that's what I said as soon as she was told about the pregnancy.

Now we'll have to look forward to some more "baby drama" or the very over-used miscarriage scenario.

Exactly. I like Harper, but am not looking forward to this storyline.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, preeya said:

What do you mean "or"???  😁 

There will be baby drama AND a miscarriage.  Here's are my guesses... 1.  because she's considered high risk Nyla has early fetal testing done.  2. Some abnormality is detected.  3.  That abnormality doesn't match up with current boyfriend's DNA, blood type, whatever, and 4, does match up with the ex's.  5. Boyfriend is considering proposing, but then 6, Nyla has to fess up she slept with the ex.  7. Boyfriend dumps Nyla.  8. Ex considers proposing.  9. Nyla has miscarriage.  10.  Boyfriend returns.   I think I'll be more than 70% right on any combination of these. 

I think it's really odd that they would have Nyla blurt out her pregnancy to her rookie, considering what a private person she is, she's high risk, and only 6 weeks along.  Doesn't fit the character at all.   And rookie's reality TV plot is stupid.  I hope we don't have to endure any more of that. 

I'm glad they wrapped up Bailey's ex's story in on episode, and I hope they're done with that and no retaliation shenanigans from prison.  I'm ok with Bailey staying on as a secondary character that we see minimally each episode, but they need to keep it at that.  No more Bailey drama.  Hopefully since they've filled the pregnancy quota we won't see that scenario.  But if we do, be guaranteed Nolan's son & girlfriend will announce their pregnancy at the same time!

And why is Wesley still giving legal advice??? Do they think that no viewer knows what it means to have your law license suspended? 

Despite these criticisms, I actually liked this episode.  No over the top heroics by Nolan, some good snark, good use of the cast.  Decent story line with Chen's puppy.  Chen's getting a boyfriend. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Raja said:

It is the Los Angeles political language for the homeless. Sort of like South Central L.A. (Mid Wilshire presumably is in the Central part) became South L.A.

It is not limited to LA or California, it's used where I live (in a very red county).

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At the minimum, he should have made the request with the department.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

Given that LAPD once had its own Cops like series I think that following an infamous "boot" isn't as far out of line as other plot points from this show.

True, but this is a rookie cop - whose past as a murder suspect I doubt the LAPD wants splashed on TV screens across America, and handled by producers who are not hired or influenced by the LAPD. 

I thought it was a decent episode. I was kind of hoping Bailey's husband would get killed in the shootout, but oh well.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought it was a decent episode. I was kind of hoping Bailey's husband would get killed in the shootout, but oh well.

I was also hoping he'd be killed, and given his position during the shootout, I couldn't believe he wasn't hit with a stray bullet.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, preeya said:

I was also hoping he'd be killed, and given his position during the shootout, I couldn't believe he wasn't hit with a stray bullet.

For a genius mastermind, trying to run away with a heavy bag of cash is super dumb... if he stays put, his original deal would hold.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

At the minimum, he should have made the request with the department.

True, but this is a rookie cop - whose past as a murder suspect I doubt the LAPD wants splashed on TV screens across America, and handled by producers who are not hired or influenced by the LAPD. 

I think it is the opposite, like the original Captain splashed around old man Nolan as a rookie that a cleared, thus good man Officer Thorson gets a chance at LAPD were others fear to thread sort of thing. If they are following him there has to be some real life control unless it is all to be off duty infamous cop

Can't believe that Chen never before considered that as a homeless unhoused teenage girl, giving sexual favours in return for the necessities of life nondeath might have been a part of Tamara's past antefuture.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

Death during the commission of a felony, stealing already stolen goods in this case, is felony murder.

An ideal case for the DA to simply decline to prosecute.

10 hours ago, Surrealist said:

The cops should have let the Southern Front kill off Jason

I'd go so far as to suggest that Nolan should have, uh, accidentally shot him during the fire-fight. But the lab would have identified him as the shooter which might cast a shadow over him, given that the department is aware of the bad blood between them. And besides, Nolan would be risking his squeaky-clean reputation with the viewers...

Believe me, when they were in the van, before the call came through, I guessed that was how it would end. But as soon as Nolan got the call, I knew they would make every effort to save him.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm thinking Mekia is pregnant in real life and they have to find a way to incorporate that into the storyline. There was even a shot at the end of the episode last night when she was talking to James where it looked like she already had a bit of a small bump. And unless they plan to try and hide her bump for the rest of the season, I doubt there will be a miscarriage storyline.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I'm thinking Mekia is pregnant in real life and they have to find a way to incorporate that into the storyline. There was even a shot at the end of the episode last night when she was talking to James where it looked like she already had a bit of a small bump. And unless they plan to try and hide her bump for the rest of the season, I doubt there will be a miscarriage storyline.

That was my first thought too, but then I saw that she's 40, which makes it less likely, but does not rule it out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

There will be baby drama AND a miscarriage.  Here's are my guesses... 1.  because she's considered high risk Nyla has early fetal testing done.  2. Some abnormality is detected.  3.  That abnormality doesn't match up with current boyfriend's DNA, blood type, whatever, and 4, does match up with the ex's.  5. Boyfriend is considering proposing, but then 6, Nyla has to fess up she slept with the ex.  7. Boyfriend dumps Nyla.  8. Ex considers proposing.  9. Nyla has miscarriage.  10.  Boyfriend returns.   I think I'll be more than 70% right on any combination of these. 

I think it's really odd that they would have Nyla blurt out her pregnancy to her rookie, considering what a private person she is, she's high risk, and only 6 weeks along.  Doesn't fit the character at all. 

Agree 100%.  I think you should pin this post, and put check marks next to each line item as we march along that time line!  I like Nyla, I love her tough as nails approach and touches of compassion.  I do not need her to become ooey-gooey on the job, or pull back from the job. 

At first I thought having her blurt out her news to The Rookie was wildly out of character, but then I realized that her brain was probably whirling in a swiveting panic of "OMG OMG OMG I'M PREGNANT!!!!  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO, HOW DOES THIS WORK....OMG OMG OMG" and blurting it out was probably a little involuntary.  At that point, I'm sure if she went to the coffee stand, instead of ordering a double shot latte as intended she'd say something like "I'll be having a baby, and a cake pop please."

Speaking of The Rookie (I know he has a name, I just can never remember it....Aaron?), just because he went to prison for a crime he didn't commit, how does that make him wiser beyond his years?  For a while there it looked like he and Nyla had switched roles and he was training her?  I like the character, I think putting an Amanda Knox backstory into a rookie like that provides an interesting perspective.  I just want him to be more rookie-like.

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

And rookie's reality TV plot is stupid.  I hope we don't have to endure any more of that.

This just all came up out of the blue.  Did we know his mom was clinging to her son's notoriety to extend her fifteen minutes of fame?  I might have missed something, is this his mom's reality TV show and he's just being asked to make an appearance as her son a few times, or is this a reality TV show featuring him and his story?  I mean, I hate the reality TV plot because I don't see any way this was allowed by the LAPD brass.  Grey and Bradford are going to melt down over this, like they did with Jackson's Hollywood publicity from his relationship with a celebrity.  If they don't meld down, then Imma gonna call a foul, because that's hugely inconsistent. 

The kid loves his mom, and he hates it, but he's doing this for her.  That's kind of sweet, but he needs to stop being a people pleaser.  He went along with the badge bunny for many of the same reasons, he didn't want to be mean or disappoint her.  I hope they do something more interesting with this character than just have him be the nice guy spouting off sage advice.  They gave him this bombastic "man in the crosshairs" backstory, but really aren't exploring that much. 

And this is how you use Chen's puppy.  The B-plot utilized her experience as a homeless teen in a contextual way that was logical and made sense.  She wasn't pulled into an investigation because Chen and Lopez were having a girls night brain storming about cases, she didn't stumble into an incident and got held hostage.

Edited to add that I think "unhoused" is also sometimes used to differentiate someone who does not have a home, but who otherwise somehow procures shelter, like couch surfing with friends and family, living in a car or RV, occasional motel rooms, occasional nights a shelter, hooking up etc.  vs. "homeless" which carries with it an assumption of literally living on the streets rolled up in a blanket in a tent or cardboard box and being completely lost to that subculture.

Edited by HurricaneVal
to add a thought.
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, paigow said:

What did boy genius do with the cash? Why is he still sleeping under a bridge?

I didn't catch what the pawn shop guy gave him. normally given this story that tribe of kids would have split it. And being a larger unhoused encampment it could burn through in a day's meal.

3 hours ago, paigow said:

What did boy genius do with the cash? Why is he still sleeping under a bridge?

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I didn't catch what the pawn shop guy gave him. normally given this story that tribe of kids would have split it. ...

3 hours ago, paigow said:

Becca had no intention of splitting the cash.

—–which got Becca a rock to the head.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Jason will get killed in prison by the Southern Front.

Naaaaah, he will join the two serial killers from past episodes and the trio will plot against Nolan.
I mean this is a standard story from the book of all TV Police cliches.

• Love 3

Actually this was a decent episode despite the amount of time given to Bailey and her loony hubby.
I LOLed when Oscar said the Clarice line to Nolan.
Of course the psycho hubby will return in some of the next seasons for more evil revenge.
Nyla's story is not really interesting, but maybe the lovely actress is really pregnant?

So we were wondering where the only real rookie of the show has been, only to be treated with a lame story for him. Oh well. Btw his mama is awful. Don't you get fined or something if you call 911 in vain (or even worse to lure your police officer son to your place) ?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

Don't you get fined or something if you call 911 in vain (or even worse to lure your police officer son to your place) ?

5.21.040 Misuse of the 911 system – Penalties.

Unless otherwise provided in this chapter or by state statute adopted by reference, any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or 90 days in jail.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

Actually this was a decent episode despite the amount of time given to Bailey and her loony hubby.
Of course the psycho hubby will return in some of the next seasons for more evil revenge.
Nyla's story is not really interesting, but maybe the lovely actress is really pregnant?

So we were wondering where the only real rookie of the show has been, only to be treated with a lame story for him. Oh well. Btw his mama is awful. Don't you get fined or something if you call 911 in vain (or even worse to lure your police officer son to your place) ?

I don't think she called 911 but rather put a 911 code on her personal text to the son. The call did not come over the radio but  he was looking at his phone. Why Detective Harper went to family first instead of her normal snark, well I guess saying 911 stopped her. It comes back to the everybody and I guess their extended families lives in Mid Wilshire

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't think she called 911 but rather put a 911 code on her personal text to the son. The call did not come over the radio but  he was looking at his phone. Why Detective Harper went to family first instead of her normal snark, well I guess saying 911 stopped her. It comes back to the everybody and I guess their extended families lives in Mid Wilshire

It seems both the rookie and Nyla do not get any credits for their professional behavior. Actually I wonder if any of these police officers do, since they like to abandon duty to run to their mama or spend duty time to look after their significant others or investigate crimes with people related to them or their friends. 
It reminds me  of  this earthquake movie with the "Rock",  who was supposed to be a rescuer but abandoned everyone else in order to save his family. I mean imagine in a natural disaster all firefighters, police officers and rescuers just caring to only save their families.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, chaifan said:

Chen's getting a boyfriend. 

Since Chen's potential new love interest is DA Chris Sanford, looks like we'll finally get "Chenford".  Then we'll get a Chenford vs Chenford shipper war from fans of each.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Zaffy said:

It seems both the rookie and Nyla do not get any credits for their professional behavior. Actually I wonder if any of these police officers do, since they like to abandon duty to run to their mama or spend duty time to look after their significant others or investigate crimes with people related to them or their friends. 
It reminds me  of  this earthquake movie with the "Rock",  who was supposed to be a rescuer but abandoned everyone else in order to save his family. I mean imagine in a natural disaster all firefighters, police officers and rescuers just caring to only save their families.

Well they did get the skip tracer joke since Officer Nolan did not run the ex on his own without official resources

On 1/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, preeya said:

If Donovan is her ex, who she slept with on New Year's Eve, that's↑ what I said as soon as she was told about the pregnancy.

I thought they slept together during Halloween, after the trick or treat with Lila.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I thought they slept together during Halloween, after the trick or treat with Lila.

You are probably correct, I knew there was something going on and I thought it was NYE without going back to check. Ya got me!  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

And last episode had Christmas paraphernalia in the background (So maybe it was a week or two before, which could line up with 6 weeks). Also, I am wondering how the doctor was able to go "YOU ARE SIX WEEKS PREGNANT" with a blood test

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, bros402 said:

I am wondering how the doctor was able to go "YOU ARE SIX WEEKS PREGNANT" with a blood test

The amount of beta HCG in her blood would indicate how far along she was in the pregnancy; however, doing a routine pregnancy test, or any other blood work for that matter, due to a scrape on the arm is totally unrealistic.

• Love 3
On 1/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, Netfoot said:

Oh, so we all know they're homeless but we don't want to call them homeless so we use the word unhoused so that everybody will know we mean the homeless? I don't...

Oh! Los Angeles! it all makes sense now.

Do you prefer "domicile insecure?"

• Love 1
22 hours ago, eel21788 said:

The amount of beta HCG in her blood would indicate how far along she was in the pregnancy; however, doing a routine pregnancy test, or any other blood work for that matter, due to a scrape on the arm is totally unrealistic.

It was also a ripoff of Chicago PD.  On that show, officer Kim Burgess found out that she was pregnant after visiting the ER when she cut her arm squeezing through a metal fence.  

Just why was Gray having any say or part in Jason's plea bargain? 

These cops extend out of the city into the county, out of the state into another country, and out of Law into Order. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, Netfoot said:

Can't believe that Chen never before considered that as a homeless unhoused teenage girl, giving sexual favours in return for the necessities of life nondeath might have been a part of Tamara's past antefuture

😁

• LOL 2
On 1/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, bros402 said:

And last episode had Christmas paraphernalia in the background (So maybe it was a week or two before, which could line up with 6 weeks). Also, I am wondering how the doctor was able to go "YOU ARE SIX WEEKS PREGNANT" with a blood test

Off screen the detective tells him there are only two possible times that it could have happened.

• LOL 2
On 1/11/2022 at 1:16 AM, Surrealist said:
On 1/10/2022 at 11:23 PM, Zaffy said:

Easily the best line of the episode. 

Mr. Ctlady and I were watching this On Demand and had to pause it because we were laughing so hard.  Even when we replayed it, the snickers wouldn't stop.  He delivered that line spot on.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, Clanstarling said:

At least they gave her a reason not to be taking birth control precautions.

And not a very good one. Pregnancy isn't the only thing you can 'catch' with unprotected sex. 

• Love 3