Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia in the Media

Don't say that you are over 50 on that survey- instant rejection! 

THANKS.  Ticking the 18-24 box rewards you with the news "You're Just Who We're Looking For!" 

It took me so long to figure out my hypothetical birthday, the drop down menu closed up and I feared I was busted.  Do the math before you get started.  : )

The survey questions are:

What relationships do you enjoy most?

What do you like seeing the Pioneers do most?

What moments do you like most?

What moments do you like least?

Overnight ratings are in for the Friday episode, coming in 4th in the timeslot and maintaining its 9% of total viewers from 1 week ago.  While they are up from last week's episode that aired at 9 pm, it is flat against the 8pm Friday night episode from two weeks ago (when it was in 2nd place). 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/27/tv-ratings-friday-the-amazing-race-hawaii-five-0-return-down-shark-tank-steady-utopia-rises/307470/

Which basically means that viewership (at least on Fridays) has pretty much peaked and has no where to go but down.

Not surprising, the repeat episode of Gotham in the 9pm timeslot on Fox brought in a million more viewers than last week's episode of Utopia.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
Judging by the ratings, they should be less particular.

But they (the executive producers) need hot and sexy 18-24 year olds if they are going to turn this crapfest into Bangtopia in order to get better ratings, which they won't get (better ratings) because the weather is getting colder and no one will be wearing bikinis/bathing suits any more.

• Love 1

Judging by the ratings, they should be less particular.

There's a spot where the reference to "participating in a survey" was in a smaller font so it could be squeezed into the sentence, suggesting the qualifier questions were cut and pasted from the casting call.

These people really can't do anything right.

• Love 1

Found a video from Detroit Dungeon (a local Detroit entertainment show) with Hex in it (go to 1:17:45) where she discusses why she changed her name from Kim Bondy when she started her PR company to work in adult entertainment industry (so, no, she didn't change it just for Utopia).  And during this interview (dated Mar . 2014), she was working for three websites -- localstripfan.com (a strip club social media site), entertainerofthemonth.com (a Maxim knockoff), and localcityscene.com (a web site promoting all the cool places to go in major cities).

Note: I didn't watch the entire video, just the Hex portion, since it's over 2 hours long, so parts of it may be NSFW.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
But they (the executive producers) need hot and sexy 18-24 year olds if they are going to turn this crapfest into Bangtopia in order to get better ratings

Wasn't the survey just about viewers, or did I miss something?  Not that my 30-year-old self feels especially rejected by not being their target demo, but I'd think they would want whatever eyes they could get.

There's a spot where the reference to "participating in a survey" was in a smaller font so it could be squeezed into the sentence, suggesting the qualifier questions were cut and pasted from the casting call.

I guess they didn't save enough of that fifty mil for public relations.  They're just a mess, aren't they?

Overnight ratings are in for the Friday episode, coming in 4th in the timeslot and maintaining its 9% of total viewers from 1 week ago.  While they are up from last week's episode that aired at 9 pm, it is flat against the 8pm Friday night episode from two weeks ago (when it was in 2nd place). 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/27/tv-ratings-friday-the-amazing-race-hawaii-five-0-return-down-shark-tank-steady-utopia-rises/307470/

Which basically means that viewership (at least on Fridays) has pretty much peaked and has no where to go but down.

Not surprising, the repeat episode of Gotham in the 9pm timeslot on Fox brought in a million more viewers than last week's episode of Utopia.

Damn, I was hoping to post the good news!  Oh, and that reminds me, I need to go check out "Gotham". :)  But yeah, their Tuesday ratings aren't likely to crack 1.0 any time soon since they look to be gradually declining, and their Friday ratings were a .70, .50, then back to .70, so as you say that's basically their ceiling.  The suits must be thrilled!!!

At this point, nothing short of a complete show overhaul and new marketing blitz would have any sliver of a chance of bringing this dead meat back to life.  FOX would be better off airing re-runs of old hit shows.  Actually, they could get some good mileage out of that; re-run some of their famous shows in this time slot, and have some of the cast and creators record DVD-commentary style memories and thoughts that play before and after the commercial breaks.  I'd watch that, where I wouldn't watch... this.

So I just got an e-mail from Project FOX. Here's the contents of the email. Looks like they're making every last ditch effort to save the show, including focus groups (a little to late if you ask me) and bribery.

Subject: Help Impact How FOX's Utopia is Filmed and Edited! Join Our Exclusive Community & Win!

An Exclusive Development Community by FOX Broadcasting

Do You Watch FOX's Utopia? Join Us!

We're Giving Utopia Backpacks To The First 25 Members Who Join & Participate!

We'd like to invite you to join our brand new development community, Project FOX: Utopia. By providing feedback in Project FOX: Utopia, you will have a chance to make a huge impact on FOX's newest reality experiment and win prizes along the way! Be one ofthe first 25 members to join and instantly win a Utopia backpack!

Project FOX: Utopia is an exclusive private community that was developed so that fans of Utopia have the chance to influence, contribute and collaborate on how the show is produced, edited and filmed!

Before entering the community, you'll need to qualify by taking a short survey. Click here:

http://projectfoxutopia.com/recruitment/survey/937?

I clicked on the link and it gives an error message on Project Fox Utopia.  I tried to find it on the official Utopia site, but couldn't.

Thank you Rahul.

Just spent a few minutes on Utopia's official website.  There were some interesting comments under "It's a Calf".  Many negative comments about Bri's care, as well as a generalized lack of care from the Utopians when the calf was born.  Apparently, even after they knew the calf was born and cleaned it up, it was seen laying alone and covered in flies.  There was also a comment about Bri force feeding the calf until it actually fell to the ground.  Fox is not cleaning up these comments, which is something I guess.

• Love 2

According to the EP, Jon Kroll, on his Twitterfeed (@hippykid) today, they will be reducing the show to one day a week beginning in mid-October (after the Fri Oct. 17 episode), settling on Tuesdays after the baseball playoffs are over (where it is lead-in poison for the 9pm shows).

As indicated on other forums, they are already a week behind in showtime in the episodes with two shows a week, so with one show a week they will still be showing October highlights at the end of November (if the show hasn't been canceled by then).

As indicated on other forums, they are already a week behind in showtime in the episodes with two shows a week, so with one show a week they will still be showing October highlights at the end of November (if the show hasn't been canceled by then).

Well, that's one nail in the coffin. If the ratings keep dragging down FOX's comedies I'm sure even the Tuesday airings will be pulled or relegated to Saturday for burn off.

However, I don't think the TV broadcasts will lag more than a week. Its more likely the editors will just have to pare down all the footage to just fit in 40 minutes per week. We already know the most sensational bits often never make it to air, so this new format will probably show an even more skewed version of what is really happening.

• Love 1

Damn, I was hoping to post the good news!  Oh, and that reminds me, I need to go check out "Gotham". :)  But yeah, their Tuesday ratings aren't likely to crack 1.0 any time soon since they look to be gradually declining, and their Friday ratings were a .70, .50, then back to .70, so as you say that's basically their ceiling.  The suits must be thrilled!!!

At this point, nothing short of a complete show overhaul and new marketing blitz would have any sliver of a chance of bringing this dead meat back to life. 

But INSTEAD, the Einsteins decided they were having a rough time selling their edit with all those 24/7 cameras, so now they block the feeds and mute the audio.  Any controversy diverging from the storyboard is now censored. 

• Love 1

Tuesday ratings are flat week to week at 0.8 rating, viewers were up marginally from 1.90 to 2.02 million viewers, though the share dropped from 3 to 2.  Percentage of total viewers dropped from 5.0% to 4.4% from last week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/01/tv-ratings-tuesday-selfie-manhattan-love-story-premiere-low-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-forever-drop-person-of-interest-the-mindy-project-up/309151/

I wouldn't have thought this show could get any worse, but either one of the trolls mentioned above would send this piece of crap over edge to despicable!  Both of them?  I would throw my tv down the concrete porch steps before I would watch or read any more about this.

Big Brother is a rotten show, but there is a goal - be the last one left and win money - and all actions are understandable, not likeable always, but understandable in service to the goal, plus they have silly competitions.

This show has nothing at all.  The plan and script the producers are following is stupid and insulting.  If you are going to let people have a 24 hr. 'live feed' (over now apparently), then you have to edit the ACTUAL SHOW to match the action on the feeds.  It shouldn't take a rocket scientist, but having one in production might have improved  the show.

So the producer invites the two most loathsome 'reality show' contestants ever.  He never intended this to be a show about building a society, he just wanted Outdoor Big Brother and he kinda' failed at that as well.

Edited by kaygeeret
  • Love 2

Quoting myself from Utopia General (sounds like a hospital - maybe where Red, Hex and Preacher Jon went for treatment) back on 9/18:

I want to see a "celebrity" version of Utopia with famewhores from other reality shows - Big Brother, Bachelor/Bachelorette, America's Next Top Model, Masterchef...it would be phenomenal clusterfuck of epic proportions!

* Cause "epic" is one of the most overused words in reality tv.

The Tuesday episode of Utopia has been replaced by Masterchef Junior reruns effective Oct. 7, because it was ratings poison for the 9pm hour.

I want to see Jon Kroll spin this -- in that it was the plan all along to go to one episode a week anyway, and how it was always planned to do it one month ahead of schedule and that this will be so much better than 2 episodes a week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/01/fox-moves-masterchef-junior-to-tuesday-at-8pm-cuts-tuesday-episodes-of-utopia/309584/

• Love 2
Who are these people?   I never heard of them.

Don't know about 'Evil Dick' but Russell Hantz has been on Survivor ... 3 times?  4?  Never won and more than just a bit of an asshole, notable (I believe) for being the first survivor contestant green-lit to start stealing from other contestants.  Was a time when Host / Producer Jeff Probst fucking loved this stumpy bit of butt-cheese, and he seemed to be the beneficiary of a remarkable amount of game-luck (cough producer interference cough) but is now persona non grata. His best moment: being brought onto his last season like Survivor royalty, then getting booted off first, and crying as he left.  I laughed so hard Mrs. Pootel worried I'd herniate myself, and seriously thought about going back to church now that there was proof that there is indeed a god. 

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 3

If you are going to let people have a 24 hr. 'live feed' (over now apparently), then you have to edit the ACTUAL SHOW to match the action on the feeds. 

It's totally ridiculous, but no, they don't think that's necessary.  None of the feedsters have ever met or will ever meet any of the two dozen people still watching the television show!

I just now got an email saying they hope I enjoyed last night's (Tuesday's) show and now it's time for me to cast my vote for which of the three nominees I want to see banished.

Look, I signed up for a "Passport," so obviously I have a computer and I know how to navigate their website (with the feeds.)   But for some reason they still think maybe I'm going to vote for something that happened yesterday. . .because it's not real until they put it on tv day after tomorrow? 

• Love 2

The Tuesday episode of Utopia has been replaced by Masterchef Junior reruns effective Oct. 7, because it was ratings poison for the 9pm hour.

I want to see Jon Kroll spin this -- in that it was the plan all along to go to one episode a week anyway, and how it was always planned to do it one month ahead of schedule and that this will be so much better than 2 episodes a week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/01/fox-moves-masterchef-junior-to-tuesday-at-8pm-cuts-tuesday-episodes-of-utopia/309584/

I have only this reaction.

I just can't even contemplate it.  $50 million for a reality show.  The whole point of a reality show is that it's supposed to be cheap to shoot.  You could have shot 2, maybe 4, years of a decent scripted drama for that kind of money.  You could have made ten (maybe 20 or 50!) decent indie films for that kind of money.  Geez.

And now it's all down the toilet!  A toilet constructed in the middle of your living room.

• Love 1

Oh happy day! And tomorrow is Teresa Guidice's sentencing to boot.

Now all that's left is for the Friday airing to be yanked as well. The Idiopians can rot in on the compound for the rest of the year for all I care--just please let PETA or the ASPCA confiscate the animals and return them to safety.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 1

The Tuesday episode of Utopia has been replaced by Masterchef Junior reruns effective Oct. 7,

Hooray, MasterChef Junior is back! Those tykes could build a better functional society than these morons. Heck, maybe they should just evict the Utopians and hold the mini-chef competition on the Utopia property.

I can just see Gordon Ramsay storming the gates with a hundred kids behind him, and just routing the place. After an hour, the Utopians heads are all on pikes outside, and the kids have gotten the place all shiny and clean, while they plant the most stunning gourmet crops.

• Love 3

Russell Hantz is an asshat from Survivor who thinks that he is a strategic genius who didn't win because of a bitter jury. He didn't win because he was taken to the finale as a goat twice due to his bullying, loud mouth, obnoxious behavior. He thinks he is gods gift to the world and has been trying to pimp his own reality show that follows his family. His nephew Brandon has been on Survivor twice and showed himself to be mentally imbalanced and a chauvinist (at best). His brother Willie was on Big Brother and was removed after head butting another contestant and generally being an ass.

Evel Dick just revealed that he left Big Brother 13, he was on as a returning player, due to finding out he was HIV positive through the shows screening process. On his original season of Big Brother he was saved by Production, burnt another player with a cigarette, made a series of vile comments regarding the rape and torture of a female contestant, and I believe wished that another contestant would get AIDs.

So they would fit right in with the cool kids club in Utopia.

• Love 3

Hell, we don't even need Gordon Ramsey.  My grandmother would do that.

We wouldn't want Grandma to get exposed to the Topes cooties, asshattery and probably lice.  I don't mind if Ramsey is exposed, but he's probably a carrier so he'd most likely be immune.

Hell, we don't even need Gordon Ramsey.  My grandmother would do that.

Yes, but Aaron was a failed contestant on Ramsay's show (flamed out during a preliminary round of MasterChef) - so the humiliation would be so much more painful to him. He's unlikely to care what your grandmother thinks.

• Love 1

thanks for the link, corgi.

I think it would be fun for Red to surprise the Utes by showing up as a paying guest one weekend.  ...... maybe in a month or two.

Thanks In Pog Form, what an entertaining website.

Those comments ranged from the Simpsons to gun control and back to Utopia!

Still not sure how that happened.

Loved that there was no inane trashing of the views of others, but a constant build.  Honestly they left me in the dust.  They are as smart as we are in a different way..I'll probably check in again.

Is that web site affiliated with The Onion?  I vaguely remember there were articles under avclub back in the day.  And I do mean back in the day - The Onion started at the Univ of Wisc. Madison and was on every Wisconsin campus all the time.  I am from Wisconsin.

• Love 1

Thanks In Pog Form, what an entertaining website.

Those comments ranged from the Simpsons to gun control and back to Utopia!

Still not sure how that happened.

Loved that there was no inane trashing of the views of others, but a constant build. Honestly they left me in the dust. They are as smart as we are in a different way..I'll probably check in again.

Is that web site affiliated with The Onion? I vaguely remember there were articles under avclub back in the day. And I do mean back in the day - The Onion started at the Univ of Wisc. Madison and was on every Wisconsin campus all the time. I am from Wisconsin.

Yup, the AV Club is an offshoot of The Onion, and while I don't really go there (no reason, just haven't made a habit of it yet I guess), it has a reputation as some of the most literate and pop-culture savvy TV commentors and TV discussion. I think it famously was during one of the "Community" hiatuses when it would get cancelled then renewed a couple of months later that an AVClub thread extolling the virtues of the cult show ran to something like 30,000 comments.

And you thought the Utopia live feed forum was tough to keep up on... :)

• Love 1

I think it would be fun for Red to surprise the Utes by showing up as a paying guest one weekend.  ...... maybe in a month or two.

That's making a big assumption that Utopia is still on the air in a month or two.  I wouldn't count on it.

• Love 1

Especially with all the comments on their facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/UtopiaTVUSA

and brkkkk - picture at the top of Bri, teary-eyed and caption "i want to stay"

A lot of people upset that Red was voted out.

My favourite comment :  The attorney guy reminds me of ga zoo from flinstones   (That's all I will think about now when I see Mike).

Edited by EverCat

Friday night ratings are in -- and they continue to drop.  Week over week, rating dropped from 0.7 to 0.6, share stayed flat at 3, total viewers dropped by a lot from 1.90 million to 1.75 million.  At this pace, they will soon be tied with The CW (But of course EP Jon Kroll will boast that was what they were always aiming for).

Utopia came in 4th behind a re-run of Bad Judge (which is pretty bad and also likely to be canceled).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/04/tv-ratings-friday-last-man-standing-returns-down-hawaii-five-0-the-amazing-race-up-utopia-shark-tank-down/310678/

• Love 2

An article that is not about the ratings that are dropping like a stone.  Of course, he is talking about the work that went/goes into the actual production of the show and not content.

But he also says it is located in Northen California (well, Santa Clarita is technically north of Los Angeles but it is still in the same county), that evictions will take place each week and that visiting the site was "was certainly one of the most enlightening experiences of my career".

He's clearly drank Kroll's Kool-Aid (Kroll-Aid?).

An article that is not about the ratings that are dropping like a stone.  Of course, he is talking about the work that went/goes into the actual production of the show and not content.

He's clearly drank Kroll's Kool-Aid (Kroll-Aid?).

That interview comes off as a paid article by Kroll and company -- despite all the obvious errors in it -- and looks like a lot of the paragraphs would have been spoon-fed to Murtz by Kroll.  I hope for Murtz's sake that the check clears before the show shuts down.