Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/13/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Dec. 13 – Political columnist and commentator Amanda Carpenter guest co-hosts; Ralph Fiennes (“The King’s Man”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices; “12 Days of Holidays” continues with surprises for our audience and a chance to win for viewers at home

Tuesday, Dec. 14 – Political columnist and commentator Amanda Carpenter guest co-hosts; The Political View with New York Attorney General Letitia James in her first interview since suspending her campaign for governor; “12 Days of Holidays”

Wednesday, Dec. 15 – Maggie Gyllenhaal (“The Lost Daughter”); Amy Robach and Andrew Shue (authors, “Better Together!”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 16 – Priyanka Chopra Jonas (“The Matrix Resurrections”); holiday toys; “12 Days of Holidays”

Friday, Dec. 17 –  “The View” celebrates the holidays with “Co-hosts Favorite Things”;  GRAMMY® Award winner Darlene Love joined by a surprise multiplatinum musician for her seventh annual performance of “Christmas, Baby Please Come Home”

• Love 1

Dear Amanda whoever you are, there has already been a debate about abortion and a decision was made. It’s called Roe v Wade.

Love Sunny and Whoopi calling out the hypocrisy.

Whoopi missed the point of the Pelaton ad. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11

She made it very clear in the second segment she doesn’t  the believe the Big Lie, probably because they’ve said they won’t hire someone who does. Still I don’t wanna go back to the MM yelling instead of debating days. 

Also, why is Whoopi, the actress, complaining about people upset a fictional character died? 

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, geekburger said:

lso, why is Whoopi, the actress, complaining about people upset a fictional character died? 

Because she didn’t get it. It’s not the death of a character that’s controversial, it’s the fact the writers had him die on a Pelaton.

Love Ralph Fiennes. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Because she didn’t get it. It’s not the death of a character that’s controversial, it’s the fact the writers had him die on a Pelaton.

Love Ralph Fiennes. 

While I enjoy most of the panel, it is for the Raiph Fiennes of the world I watch The View. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

I don’t know if the fact that this guest chick was tainted for me when I read she worked for Ted Cruz but I don’t like her.

No you're  not tainted.  She's just a major interruptus not a good choice.

• Love 12

I don't recall who on the panel said it, but IMO they were right - you don't use one bad law to correct or fight another bad law.  A law that encourages individuals to inform on others the way the Texas law does is going to be misused by people who have grudges or even just want to make trouble for someone they don't like. I hope that Texas has plenty of people available to investigate and process all the reports they get. It would be nice if the opposite turned out to be the case - people decide to mind their own business - but I don't have that much faith in human nature.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Love Ralph Fiennes. 

Could you imagine him on a Pelaton,.with all his cloaks, hides, firs and whatnot. He prob overheated so much that they couldn't save him

4 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

One word to describe my opinion of today's guest host:  Next.

I can think of another one word...😸

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Love Ralph Fiennes. 

Ok this must be my backwards moment. I don't think its the Peloton.  As somebody said. He could have been jumping rope and and bit it.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Ok this must be my backwards moment. I don't think its the Peloton.  As somebody said. He could have been jumping rope and and bit it.  

True, but then why bother using a name brand exercise machine? Some no-name machine would work just as well.  I don't know what goes into the deals that are made to have products end up films and TV shows, but brand recognition generally works positively for the companies. Being associated with a character's death obviously was not what Peloton expected with this placement. I suppose they could adopt the "any publicity is good publicity" philosophy, but good for them coming up with a more interesting option. 

• Love 3
On 12/10/2021 at 8:23 PM, Bronzedog said:

Amanda Carpenter worked for Ted Cruz so things  might go sideways real fast.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:45 PM, Buckeye71034 said:

she is a prominent never trumper who supported Biden. 

Ugh. They really need to stop inviting them on. Did they learn nothing from the five years of SWMSBN?!?!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I don't recall who on the panel said it, but IMO they were right - you don't use one bad law to correct or fight another bad law.  A law that encourages individuals to inform on others the way the Texas law does is going to be misused by people who have grudges or even just want to make trouble for someone they don't like. I hope that Texas has plenty of people available to investigate and process all the reports they get. It would be nice if the opposite turned out to be the case - people decide to mind their own business - but I don't have that much faith in human nature.

Newsom is just trying to make a point, he does not expect the law to be unchallenged. It’s what the liberal SC judges said would happen - allowing the TX law would open a can of worms that lets states willy nilly decide what Fed laws could be circumvented, specifically the 2nd Amendment. He’s letting red state legislatures know there are consequences for encouraging vigilantism and the courts need to act to stop this ridiculousness now. 

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ugh. They really need to stop inviting them on. Did they learn nothing from the five years of SWMSBN?!?!

I laughed when Ralph mentioned HWSNBN. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14

I really wish Whoopi would introduce a serious topic like the abortion issue with a solid and well thought out question to get the convo going into a direction and help start a more organized convo but instead she just throws it into the wind and makes it a free for all. Sunny, Sara, Joy and Amanda all focused on different parts of the topic so it just kept bouncing back between abortion and guns.

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Today was a great show even with the guest co-host being fairly stiff and useless and most of the topics after the first segment being pretty frivolous. When you have a decent lineup, they don't really need to be talking about anything important to be entertaining. The topic on women generally preferring someone taller looked like it was going sideways into another "Whoopi's a jerk to Sunny" moment until Sara's flub mercifully veered them away to humor instead.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

like it was going sideways into another "Whoopi's a jerk to Sunny" moment until Sara's flub mercifully veered them away to humor instead.

Could you tell what Sara said? I totally missed whatever it was

• Love 2

^ I had to rewind it a couple of times before I understood it myself. Whoopi dismissed the stats Sunny was referring to and asked who the people questioned for the study even were, then as Sunny tried to respond Sara interjected with (while making that whole tea-sipping gesture with her mug while cutting her eyes at the camera), “...Women who like older men? I mean, taller men!” And then Whoopi joked that Sara had had enough of whatever she was drinking.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • LOL 6
20 hours ago, KittyQ said:

True, but then why bother using a name brand exercise machine? Some no-name machine would work just as well.  I don't know what goes into the deals that are made to have products end up films and TV shows, but brand recognition generally works positively for the companies. Being associated with a character's death obviously was not what Peloton expected with this placement. I suppose they could adopt the "any publicity is good publicity" philosophy, but good for them coming up with a more interesting option. 

Peloton did not do a product placement for the show. The show got the bike on their own. Pelton only agreed the instructor could appear on the show.

Because of Covid and everyone working out at home Peloton became "the bike" to have.  Mr Big wasn't going to be working out on a no name bike.

This is their statement:

”Peloton did not have a formal product placement agreement with either the show or HBO. This was a casting opportunity for one of our instructors, not a brand integration, paid or otherwise. The show procured our equipment on their own, not through us.”

• Useful 3

Sara, Fox took a pass on the hearing yesterday so their viewers did not hear the revelations you were discussing today.

Tish James can really fire up an audience. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Joy, I also need glasses to read, but, even without them, I know way more people than 400 have died from COVID.  WTH?

Sunny, kids have always been under pressure to get good grades.  It’s not exactly exclusive to this generation.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 20

Don’t know what’s going on with Joy but she needs to just sit to quietly for the rest of the show.  Abraham Lincoln and the two other 19th century people she mentioned having not gone to law school was just another weird comment.

• Love 7

Tish James finishing the AG job is wonderful to hear.  I was puzzled why the run for governor was being circulated when there were such  important cases being pursued by her office.  Glad to hear her commit to getting the job done on air.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Rightside said:

Peloton did not do a product placement for the show. The show got the bike on their own. Pelton only agreed the instructor could appear on the show.

Because of Covid and everyone working out at home Peloton became "the bike" to have.  Mr Big wasn't going to be working out on a no name bike.

This is their statement:

”Peloton did not have a formal product placement agreement with either the show or HBO. This was a casting opportunity for one of our instructors, not a brand integration, paid or otherwise. The show procured our equipment on their own, not through us.”

Interesting! To have the instructor, they obviously needed the Peloton equipment, and to have the equipment, they needed the instructor. I haven't seen this show yet, but it sounds as though having a Peloton instructor (maybe even that particular instructor) was required as a plot point (besides the death). Maybe Big bonding with the instructor during training or something like that? 

Anyway, I wonder what recourse companies have when their products are used in films or TV and the results end up being a problem for them. 

• Love 1

Tish James is really impressive.  Like her a lot.

Same here!  Really dug her a lot.  I thought she handled the SC question with grace, especially putting the other woman in the hat, she would make a great second runner up.  Sorry was in the bathroom and didn't hear the name.  I'm confident in her investigations and hope if anyone can lay down the boom, she can.

Edited by ForumLou
added
  • Love 2

During the discussion about kids in school, Joy says that she was the only one who was a teacher, and Sunny jumped in to say that she taught law school, even though teaching law school is very different from the kind of teaching that was under discussion. By the time someone gets to law school they should know what their best mode is for learning. It is a different type of pressure than kids in grades 1 - 12 have. She had to admit it was different, but it seemed as though she couldn't just let Joy talk about her experience and expertise without saying "me too".

• Love 21

I thought it was another good show today, thanks to a lot of humor being peppered throughout, although I know most of the commentary in the media will inevitably end up being ageist barbs about Joy by people who didn't like her in the first place. I think it's a vanity thing that Joy likes to ditch the glasses when she's not moderating. Sara flubbed herself yesterday, does Sara need to be confined to a home, too? Jeez.

I agreed with Sara that it's disturbing how all these news anchors were that close in contact to the president that they could just send texts. And with Joy when they were talking about teaching, that C would simply become the new dreaded grade if it's now the lowest one, it's not like you're solving the problem of anxiety over grades simply by getting rid of the possibility of D's and F's.  Letitia James was a great interview. I've only seen her in press conferences before, I don't know her the way the co-hosts who live in NY do, but now I understand why she's so popular there.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 10
23 hours ago, KittyQ said:

A guy like Mr. Big and his shallow wife would have a Pelaton - even if it were not named it would be assumed to be a Pelaton. I'm sure they are enjoying the publicity, just like they liked the controversy over their early ads with men giving Pelatons to their wives who overate at Xmas.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought it was another good show today, thanks to a lot of humor being peppered throughout, although I know most of the commentary in the media will inevitably end up being ageist barbs about Joy by people who didn't like her in the first place. I think it's a vanity thing that Joy likes to ditch the glasses when she's not moderating. Sara flubbed herself yesterday, does Sara need to be confined to a home, too? Jeez.

I agreed with Sara that it's disturbing how all these news anchors were that close in contact to the president that they could just send texts. And with Joy when they were talking about teaching, that C would simply become the new dreaded grade if it's now the lowest one, it's not like you're solving the problem of anxiety over grades simply by getting rid of the possibility of D's and F's.  Letitia James was a great interview. I've only seen her in press conferences before, I don't know her the way the co-hosts who live in NY do, but now I understand why she's so popular there.

Who said Joy, Sara or anyone should be confined to a home?

• Love 1

Glad Whoopie shut down the new blonde conservative on the school/Covid  situation.  Lady, look at your party, including the guy you worked for, to see why your kids are wearing masks to school and eating outside!  If this hadn’t become a political issue we might be in a better place by now…and 800,000 people wouldn’t have died.  I hate when Rs complain about these Covid protocols and never admit that a lot of the blame falls at their feet.  

also Amanda c is extremely stiff…her question to Letitia was so stilted and forced.  

Edited by Rainyhawk
  • Love 13

on the school discussion, I hadn't heard about the getting rid of Ds and Fs before but Joy was right C would just turn into the new F so what's the point? Unless "failing" would be eliminated which wouldn't make much sense.

As for the getting rid of Fridays or closing schools on Fridays I and many parents take issue with that...besides high schoolers, that would just create another day parents have to find childcare for or be forced to leave their kids home alone if they have to work...our taxes are supposed to be going towards schools being opened Monday through Friday so while I agree teachers should get paid more...unless we start having a nation wide 4 day work week, no thank you to 4 day school week.

• Love 5

I thought she was better today than yesterday but still don’t like her.  Oddly, my favorite has been Sippy Cupps.  Didn’t see that coming,

S.E. Cupp is my favorite. I've never seen her cause tension. She can be quite funny, and she thinks for herself. I may or may not agree with her on stuff, but she's always come across as the polar opposite of her friend in that she's respectful and not a sourpuss. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

S.E. Cupp is my favorite. I've never seen her cause tension. She can be quite funny, and she thinks for herself. I may or may not agree with her on stuff, but she's always come across as the polar opposite of her friend in that she's respectful and not a sourpuss. 

I agree! S.E. was a surprise.

Carly Fiorina, S.E. Cupp and Jane Coaston were the only ones I've liked.

Caitlyn Jenner, Alyssa Farah, Morgan what's her name, Mia Love all need to stay seated at the same table.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Rightside said:

I agree! S.E. was a surprise.

Carly Fiorina, S.E. Cupp and Jane Coaston were the only ones I've liked.

Caitlyn Jenner, Alyssa Farah, Morgan what's her name, Mia Love all need to stay seated at the same table.

I’m not even sure Caitlyn Jenner’s kids would watch her on anything.

• LOL 9
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think it's a vanity thing that Joy likes to ditch the glasses when she's not moderating. Sara flubbed herself yesterday, does Sara need to be confined to a home, too? Jeez.

Lol!

Forget the glasses. The fact that when she was repeatedly told 400000, she brushed it off, not believing it was possible. Yes 400000 seems like a lot but it seems a lot more probable than 400! I was surprised it wasn't clicking that 400 was too low a number. 

I dont hate Joy. I actually worry that her mind isn't as sharp as it once was, which, of course is to be expected. 

And with Joy when they were talking about teaching, that C would simply become the new dreaded grade if it's now the lowest one, it's not like you're solving the problem of anxiety over grades simply by getting rid of the possibility of D's and F's. 

It would relieve anxiety in that a C isn't a failing grade.

3 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

on the school discussion, I hadn't heard about the getting rid of Ds and Fs before but Joy was right C would just turn into the new F so what's the point? Unless "failing" would be eliminated which wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, that would be weird...no one fails then? Surely, that wouldn't become the norm.

As for the getting rid of Fridays or closing schools on Fridays I and many parents take issue with that...besides high schoolers, that would just create another day parents have to find childcare 

As a teacher, I'd so appreciate the 4-day school week. The states/districts that are adopting this format are using Fridays as a teacher work day. We need it. Teaching has changed drastically. The paperwork (much of it individualized per student) is through the roof and extremely demanding. There is no time for paperwork during the school day, as we are busy actually teaching.

Alas, I do understand that 4-day school weeks are highly improbable because of the child care aspect of it. I really don't believe it would ever be widely implemented. 

3 hours ago, geekburger said:

Amanda is gunning hard for that seat.

I don't dislike her but I find her manner of speaking highly distracting. To me, she sounds like an outspoken tween lecturing to a school assembly about the importance of having the cafeteria serve pizza Fridays. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4