Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E11: We Make Our Own Light

• Start Topic

When a massive blackout threatens to stop the finale from airing, the whole cast has to band together to light up the stage; the cast deals with nerves over their final performance; Brittney gets a shocking surprise.

Original airdate: December 6, 2021

No comments yet? I thought this was an amazing episode. There was more dancing and storylines were moved forward and bits were dangled for a season 2. The music was fun; it was nice to see Monica dance. Wayne’s pep talk to himself was great! Only thing I wasn’t excited about was the pregnancy. I am surprised honestly that Reggie went there with Brittney. 

So happy to see Justin’s dad and brother be so happy for him. That was a good evolution of characters for the season, primarily from the father. 

• Love 11

I think it was when Brittany and Justin fell through the trap door (at different times and both very unexpectedly) that I realized this episode was just pure chaotic fun.  Between that, the fighting over flowers, the audience throwing shoes at Reggie(LOL) -- Everything was on fire and it was glorious.

The dancing with the flashlights and fluorescent lights were great.

I LOVED finding out that Aja was an electrician (she even shouted out her local union chapter!)

The House of Lush was perfection.

OMG, Earl and Earl talking heads -- comedy gold " What do I know about Frozen, I'm a grown man!"

That rendition of 'No Scrubs' was beautiful.

Meh on Reggie and Gabby.  But Nick was both human and evil.

I love all the meta references to season 2.  Come on season 2!

• Love 13

I loved the episode and hopehopehope that we get a second season! I'm not surprised at all that Reggie and Brittney slept together. She's cute and willing and he's a guy who was (at the time) unattached. Why wouldn't they? 🤷‍♀️ The only thing that annoys me is the pregnancy. As happy as I am that Reggie and Gabby *finally* got together, I really don't need to see yet another storyline about something getting in between them. I laughed at Simon's support of Brittney though: "I said I'd help you take care of it, not [out of the corner of his mouth with significant eye contact] take care of it."

Not going to lie, I got a bit teary-eyed when the kids danced with Mike. But I kept giggling at his reaction as one after another came onstage. "Oh, another one?" "More?" "You're everywhere." And then finally, "Thank you." It was so sweet.

Also glad that Justin and Simon made up. They're sweet together. And I absolutely loved how excited Justin's dad was throughout the night. And proud. So very proud. ❤️

I hope Nick and Monica make up soon. I hate the whole "eavesdropping and hear something you don't like so stop listening right before the other person says something that completely negates what they just said" trope. Either listen all the way through or don't listen at all. Nick's become one of my favorite characters on the show though. He's funny and evil and I love it.

All in all, so glad I gave this show a chance. It turned out to be such fun and I'd love to see more.

• Love 13

I did like most of the episode. I hate the pregnancy bit and when she fell through the floor and then when Justin threw her off his shoulders, I was sure it would end in a miscarriage and we would be done with that. I am still hoping that it will end. That won't stop her from lying about it, but at least it won't end up with Reggie having a child he doesn't want. I felt so sad for Nick and Monica, but I agree with the stupid plot that doesn't let them hear the whole story. The dancers with Mike were beautiful, but I couldn't help but wonder where and when they found those girls and they learned the dance. But, it was lovely. So, what is Mike going to do with his inheritance from Paula?

I had wondered how they would get this cast in a second season, but at least we know what Gabby and Brittany will be doing. I hope, if this is renewed, that Justin will be back. Maybe Mike can bankroll a new dance group and they can be together. I really didn't care that much about Terri Conn's character, but I am glad the situation was resolved. And she has a new daughter. Fingers crossed for a renewal.

• Love 3

A great finale. I loved the interactive audience & I got teary when Mike & the little girls danced, & kind of stayed that way until the end. They really set things up for season 2, even though I'm not thrilled with the pregnancy story which of course will include more of Reggie & Gabby on & off relationship stuff. Maybe the test can be a false positive?

How did Paula get millions & what is Mike going to do with it all? I hope it includes hiring all his friends so that we get more of them, I wish they were in the finale.

Too bad hot show guy turned out to be an asshole, but I want Julia & Raven to become BFFs.

I really, really, REALLY hope they renew this show, it makes me happy.

• Love 7

Other than Mike’s friends not being there I loved this episode and plan to rewatch it today. Had tears in my eyes a couple of times.

I decided to record this show on a whim and wasn’t expecting much from it. I’m so glad I watched it. Wonderful characters and writing. I hope it gets renewed.

• Love 9

A delightful end to an unexpected pleasure!  I assume Nick’s daughter will say something to Monica that alerts her to the hot mic incident.  Easy resolution; if we don’t get a second season that’s my go to.  Didn’t they mention the kids earlier when Mike said he didn’t want to dance without Paula?  I wasn’t surprised when they showed up, though I did get teary.  I loved that Gabby offered coffee as the resolution to his onstage “I love you,” and the crowd participation there was also good.  Such a fun show!!

• Love 10
7 hours ago, JenLily said:

Not going to lie, I got a bit teary-eyed when the kids danced with Mike. But I kept giggling at his reaction as one after another came onstage. "Oh, another one?" "More?" "You're everywhere." And then finally, "Thank you." It was so sweet.

You and me both.

• Love 7

I am so glad that I decided to give this show a watch, its been an unexpected delight. I would love having a season two but if we don't, this was a great end to the show. The big ballet was so wonderfully done, the dancing was lovely, Mike with the kids was a real hit to the feels, and while I am not a huge fan of Reggie/Gaby, I did like their reunion, especially with all of the audience participation. "She's a single mother you monster!" I really hope that Monica and Nick get back together as soon as they figure things out, hopefully his daughter will straighten this out. If we get another season, which I hope they do. 

I love the network guy as a reoccurring quasi antagonist. He's a bowtie guy, you never know with them.

• Love 9

Loved the episode! (Fox, are you listening: Season 2 please!!!) I could basically quote everyone above my post. Loved how we've seen parts of the dances they performed already (including, I think, the couples audition sequence). Glad that Gabby was offered the role of choreographer and doesn't have to return to her 9 to 5 job. 

• Love 8

I have to mention on rewatch (Don't judge me!) that I have to give it up to the choreographers and creatives who put the show within the show together.

First there was such a meld of different types of dancing:  b-boy/hip-hop, classical ballet, contemporary, ballroom, vogueing and tap.  Just listening to the tap sequence where Gabby was the white swan who was choosing herself was intense and it was staged almost like the fever dream Gabby described as having.  Also the angry sexual energy of Simon and Justin's dance was great and the use of that ramp brought  to mind the convention of using available props in dance numbers in musicals.

Second was the music.  Beautifully done.  Tchaikovsky was woven throughout but they inserted Whitney Houston, TLC, Smashing Pumpkins and even The Jackson 5 and somehow melded it really well with the Tchaikovsky.

And finally, I loved Wayne's setting up the story in the dark at the very beginning for people not familiar with the tale of the black swan.  It was a desperation move, but it was more effective , imo, than people getting it through "the language of dance."  As Nick so aptly observed 'Americans don't understand that..' before he went into his first hysterical melt down.  Also Wayne doing Monica's mantra "Get up you stupid little bitch, you'll do whatever is asked of you, and you won't get any food or water until the job is done!"  Before he went on.

• Love 14

I only gave this show a chance because I’ll give any Scott Foley show a chance (I’m even in the middle of a “Felicity” rewatch!) and I’m SO glad I did.

I loved e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g about it.

If we don’t get a second season, I’m going to be “Whiskey Cavalier” levels of devastated! Do the right thing for once, Fox 🤞🏻

• Love 15

This was such a terrific season finale.

I especially loved the dancer who was an electrician saving the day, and the the House of Lush post show interview, with them (and Monica) doing that snap.  And Nick's daughter.

If there's no season/ I want them to recut the ending where Monica and Nick get their happy ending and Brittany's not pregnant.  Add Mike's Trio (I am sure they shot some scenes).

I hope they bring them ALL back next season, somehow or another.

• Love 5

The kids were introduced in the last episode or the episode before that.  They came to watch the dress and then were added and Monica told Gabby to choreograph for them because she didn't do kids or something like that.

Paula had a high powered job working at a company that did consultancy work with companies who decided who to fire.  That type of job pays very well, she had a car and driver in earlier episodes.  She also was a single woman with no kids so besides her medical bills (and she probably had good health insurance and life insurance). she was probably banking a huge amount of her salary.

The choreographers were great.  They used them as actors and background dancers in the show.  Comfort was one of them (she was the dancer who was doing the electrician work).

The show was nicely written and the short season length (and the writers knowing they needed to wrap it up in one season) made for a nice plot and satisfying ending.  I'd love to see them do Sleeping Beauty or Coppelia next year with some new dancers added in. 

https://popheartstv.com/the-big-leap-interviews/

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Comfort was one of them (she was the dancer who was doing the electrician work).

YAAYY for So You Think You Can Dance alumni!  Who would have ever thought that she would become such a good actress to boot?!

• Love 8

So after the last episode's gut-punch of an opening, they made me cry again with the footage of Paula before Mike's dance.  And then to bring in the kids she had been mentoring <sob>  And The Cure's Just Like Heaven as the music was perfect.

Honestly, there's nothing I can add to what everyone else has said.  This show was an extremely enjoyable surprise, and while I really hope it gets a second season, this was a wonderful finale if it doesn't.

• Love 6

I mean I'm not rah, rah Brittney's pregnant but I'm not as opposed to it as most people are.  Especially if she is going to be pregnant and dancing next season because that is a weird difficult thing where your center of gravity is changing and somebody raised with that sort of mother likely has all sorts of body image stuff going on as well.  Reggie and Gabby weren't together when kid was conceived and Gabby as a single mom would be in an interesting position there of how to support Brittney and how that would be awkward.   It wouldn't have been where I'd have chosen to go but I could see lots of good stuff to play there.  

I also didn't find Nick to be all that evil.  Sure he's going to mine Brittney's pregnancy drama but girl is a single mom she's gonna need a job and Gabby sure as heck needs a job and that these two people need jobs is going to be all the drama?  Well...    

• Love 6
On 12/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, DearEvette said:

I have to mention on rewatch (Don't judge me!) that I have to give it up to the choreographers and creatives who put the show within the show together.

First there was such a meld of different types of dancing:  b-boy/hip-hop, classical ballet, contemporary, ballroom, vogueing and tap.  Just listening to the tap sequence where Gabby was the white swan who was choosing herself was intense and it was staged almost like the fever dream Gabby described as having.  Also the angry sexual energy of Simon and Justin's dance was great and the use of that ramp brought  to mind the convention of using available props in dance numbers in musicals.

Second was the music.  Beautifully done.  Tchaikovsky was woven throughout but they inserted Whitney Houston, TLC, Smashing Pumpkins and even The Jackson 5 and somehow melded it really well with the Tchaikovsky.

And finally, I loved Wayne's setting up the story in the dark at the very beginning for people not familiar with the tale of the black swan.  It was a desperation move, but it was more effective , imo, than people getting it through "the language of dance."  As Nick so aptly observed 'Americans don't understand that..' before he went into his first hysterical melt down.  Also Wayne doing Monica's mantra "Get up you stupid little bitch, you'll do whatever is asked of you, and you won't get any food or water until the job is done!"  Before he went on.

Ditto on every word!  The finale was great!  Amazing in fact!  So many things to love, with a couple of cliffhangers thrown in, hopefully it's enough for FOX to want to order more episodes. What a cast! What writers!  I will miss this show every Monday.

And once more for good measure, "Get up you stupid little bitch, you'll do whatever is asked of you, and you won't get any food or water until the job is done," which can't be repeated enough.  ❤️

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

One of my favorite season finales ever (and I hope it's not the series finale!).

So many bright spots, even if there were moments that tore at my heart.

Aja being revealed as an electrician and saving the day by bringing back the lights mid-way through the first number was made of awesome.

The first number, with the flashlights, was beautifully staged.

I loved that the audience was interacting with the performers - I'd love to go to that kind of show.

Of course, they had to do the trope of Nick only hearing part of Monica's conversation with Wayne about joining him in England for vacation. I think the show (and others) need to give some credit to Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights with Heathcliff leaving before he heard Catherine say how much she loved him and how she was him, only the part about it would degrade her to marry him.

Gabby cracked me up with her "we can get an afternoon coffee" cracking the door open for a reconciliation with Reggie.

the-big-leap-finale-recap-season-1-episo

The trapdoor subplot was silly and yet it worked to give Justin and Brittany some time alone and the latter to come clean about her pushing Simon to dump Justin, which helped to reunite them. 

Justin's dad and brother giving confessionals was hilarious. I appreciated that Justin introducing Simon to his family wasn't this immediate instant-acceptance as that is much more true to life but a little bit of uncomfortableness that will, hopefully, ease with time. 

I'm annoyed about Brittany's pregnancy and hope (if we get a 2nd season) that it will turn out to be a false alarm or someone else's baby. But it's not quite the scandal and Gabby can't be pissed because it happened well before she and Reggie became a couple and it's not like it was a secret that they were sleeping together.

Mike dancing on his own...without Paula...until the cuties from her program showed up snuck up on me. I was fine when they first showed him and the backdrop of Paula footage but boy if I didn't have a lump in my throat as each little girl came out one by one. That, in a nutshell, is the show for me. Amidst all the snark and silliness, it sneaks in and grabs your heart before you even know what's happening.

Can I dare hope that all of the anvils Nick was dropping (offering Brittany a bigger role in Season 2, hiring Gabby as a choreographer in S2) was a nod to a possible renewal?

Because this show was the bright spot I needed after another year of yuck.

• Love 11

This was a great finale, except for the seriously sour note of Brittany's pregnancy.  I'm also still upset they had Paula's cancer and death as part of the show.  It didn't need someone's death to bring out emotions.  I don't know.  I liked the season overall, but those two things really left a bad taste in my mouth so I don't care if it comes back or not.  I especially don't need a season 2 with an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy that will be played for drah-muh. 

• Love 1

Despite the inconsistency along the season in terms of good/bad, this finale is actually sweet and endearing. And I am happy to see the final product in its entirety. Almost a decade ago there was Smash series that I liked. My major complaint with that show was that even after 2 seasons and its cancellation, we did not get to see the musical on stage.

• Love 4