Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

Thank you for posting that.  It was so cute.

Gosh, that was so adorable!  The look on Bill's face when he looks at those kids is priceless. It's the look of pure love.

• Love 6
(edited)

Gosh, that was so adorable! The look on Bill's face when he looks at those kids is priceless. It's the look of pure love.

Pure and unconditional love. I tear up just a little with Bill and Zoey's moments/scenes. Primarily because I don't see much of those. My fave scenes are when Zoey was all over Bill's face, Zoey embraced Bill around the waist and Zoey's face lit up when Bill said something using a toy microphone.

Edited by iamkarski
  • Love 5

I remember being in kindergarten, Will's age, when i realized I was darker than everybody in class. Something was different about me. My family and the people at church looked like me, so I didn't think anything about it till school. I was the only Black kid in class so I had questions.

I've noticed that in preschool, the 4 and 5-year-olds start noticing differences in skin color - not in a prejudicial way, but they do start talking about it. So yes, around kindergarten is when that typically happens. I think that Will (and Zoey) will start noting the differences in height when there really becomes a contrast. When I think of old pictures of Zach and Jeremy Roloff, there's a certain point that Jer is just a little bigger, but then Jer really starts to shoot up. Will's peers will start out-growing him around 6 years old, I think. 

• Love 2

I was just reading some older posts in this thread and got caught up in the conversation about Jen's clothes, and one thing I didn't see discussed: Where does Jen get her shoes? She obviously fits into children's sizes, but her styles are all very adult -- pumps, boots, etc.

I would imagine having shoes made would be almost prohibitively expensive, and especially would have been in her pre-physician days.

• Love 1

I was just reading some older posts in this thread and got caught up in the conversation about Jen's clothes, and one thing I didn't see discussed: Where does Jen get her shoes? She obviously fits into children's sizes, but her styles are all very adult -- pumps, boots, etc.

I would imagine having shoes made would be almost prohibitively expensive, and especially would have been in her pre-physician days.

Probably not as hard to find shoes as you would think.  They make some kids shoes now that look very adult - just as they do clothes.  I find myself often wishing they made a kids outfit or pair of shoes in adult sizes lol

Probably not as hard to find shoes as you would think.  They make some kids shoes now that look very adult - just as they do clothes.  I find myself often wishing they made a kids outfit or pair of shoes in adult sizes lol

I can wear a kid's size five and buy them with some frequency. I think they are indistinguishable in style especially if you buy a pretty good brand. 

• Love 1

Since I'm a little person as well, I have often wondered where Jen gets her shoes, too, because I love many of the ones she wears.  I obviously have to get kids sizes, which is often frustrating because, since I'm in my 30's, I don't want cartoon characters, big bows, sparkles, or lights on my shoes.  Fortunately, as gunderda said above, I've noticed more of an "adult" classy style in more girls' shoes these days.  I actually found a few that I really liked at Stride Rite in the past year and because I tend to wear through my dress shoes quickly since I'm a working professional, I have had to buy several pairs to have on hand as back up because I may not find the same style several months or a year or so down the road. It's still too bad that I can't get nice, classic adult-styled shoes in my size with heels, though.

Although I think Jen is shorter than me, she looks like she has narrower feet than I, so she probably doesn't have as hard of a time as I do getting shoes, especially dress shoes.  Besides the childish appearance of little girls shoes, I run into the trouble of needing wide shoes, which are either hard to find or straight up ugly.  (Why can't shoe designers understand that wide footed people like to be stylish, too?!)  So even if I knew where she gets most of her shoes, I bet I couldn't fit in them.  :(

I do know that little people and those who are shorter than average have also had luck getting smaller shoes with a company called Cinderella of Boston.  Despite the name, it's actually based in California, which sucks for me because I live in NY and it's not easy for me to buy shoes online.  I need to be able to try them on due to the width of my feet and I'd hate to have to buy and return several pairs of shoes through the mail.

• Love 6

LIGirl, thanks for sharing your shoe experiences! I truly was curious about that. Not to put you on the spot, but do you have a difficult time finding professional clothing in your size? As someone else pointed out, Jen undoubtedly fits into girls' clothes, but you don't see a lot of blazers and pencil skirts and pantsuits in girls' sizes.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope I'm not being intrusive.

• Love 4

LIGirl, thanks for sharing your shoe experiences! I truly was curious about that. Not to put you on the spot, but do you have a difficult time finding professional clothing in your size? As someone else pointed out, Jen undoubtedly fits into girls' clothes, but you don't see a lot of blazers and pencil skirts and pantsuits in girls' sizes.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope I'm not being intrusive.

You're not being intrusive at all!  I realize people are curious about things, and if people ask me in a respectable manner, I totally don't mind answering questions.  :)

Shoes are the only things I get in children's sizes.  I buy all of my clothes in regular adult sizes (or petites if they have them).  The reality is that I wouldn't fit in children's sizes because even though I'm short, I still have the "curves" of an adult woman (i.e., hips, chest).  The really, really unfortunate thing about clothes and being a little person, though, is that it's like I end up paying double or more for the clothes because I have to get things altered.  Since I tend to do really well in stores like Ann Taylor, LOFT, New York & Co., Banana Republic, etc., that makes my wallet wince sometimes.  But the way I see it is if even if I have to spend more on shortening sleeves, pants, and dresses, as long as it's on good quality clothes, then hopefully, I'll get my money's worth and they'll last me a while.  (I still wish I could get alterations covered by insurance or something, though! :P)

• Love 10

You're not being intrusive at all! I realize people are curious about things, and if people ask me in a respectable manner, I totally don't mind answering questions. :)

Shoes are the only things I get in children's sizes. I buy all of my clothes in regular adult sizes (or petites if they have them). The reality is that I wouldn't fit in children's sizes because even though I'm short, I still have the "curves" of an adult woman (i.e., hips, chest). The really, really unfortunate thing about clothes and being a little person, though, is that it's like I end up paying double or more for the clothes because I have to get things altered. Since I tend to do really well in stores like Ann Taylor, LOFT, New York & Co., Banana Republic, etc., that makes my wallet wince sometimes. But the way I see it is if even if I have to spend more on shortening sleeves, pants, and dresses, as long as it's on good quality clothes, then hopefully, I'll get my money's worth and they'll last me a while. (I still wish I could get alterations covered by insurance or something, though! :P)

Thanks for responding. Essentially paying double for good clothing has to be frustrating! I'm assuming much of Jen's stuff is custom-made or heavily tailored, but I wouldn't be surprised if she buys off the rack every now and again.

• Love 3

You're not being intrusive at all!  I realize people are curious about things, and if people ask me in a respectable manner, I totally don't mind answering questions.  :)

Shoes are the only things I get in children's sizes.  I buy all of my clothes in regular adult sizes (or petites if they have them).  The reality is that I wouldn't fit in children's sizes because even though I'm short, I still have the "curves" of an adult woman (i.e., hips, chest).  The really, really unfortunate thing about clothes and being a little person, though, is that it's like I end up paying double or more for the clothes because I have to get things altered.  Since I tend to do really well in stores like Ann Taylor, LOFT, New York & Co., Banana Republic, etc., that makes my wallet wince sometimes.  But the way I see it is if even if I have to spend more on shortening sleeves, pants, and dresses, as long as it's on good quality clothes, then hopefully, I'll get my money's worth and they'll last me a while.  (I still wish I could get alterations covered by insurance or something, though! :P)

Insurance won't even cover the icepacks I wrap around my wrists & elbows - not even Workers' Comp covered that! 

I am old, my Mum is even older, but in her day EVERYONE had clothes tailor made for them.  To this day, if I gave a shit about dressing at all, nevermind well, I'd buy a few classic pieces and have them tailored for my body.  That's the way the really well-dressed do it (or so I am told -  this rebel commandos whenever possible!).  :-) 

Jen has the luxury of Chloe Dau at her doorstep; I dream of Uli.

• Love 3

Maybe this could be a topic for discussion at an LPA convention or conference? The market is missing a real opportunity here. What if the LPA formed a committee or task force or something and approached some designers - Chloe Dau for example? And asked them to produce a line of clothing especially for adult llittle people - both men and women?  I have no idea how many Little People there are in the US, but I'm willing to bet it could be a real success and met a real need for a segment of the population that has been pretty basically ignored. Just an idea. Maybe it's been tried before?

• Love 4

Ligirl you mentioned how hard it is to buy shoes online because you would hate to have to return them if they didnt work out. But these days these companies make it super simple. They put the shipping label right in- you just stick the label on the box and drop it off. They dont care if you return all of them. It might be worth a try if you see something you really like. I also have wide feet so I know what you mean about having to try on. But Ive had some luck buying online- the return was a breeze for the pairs I didnt keep

• Love 3

Maybe this could be a topic for discussion at an LPA convention or conference? The market is missing a real opportunity here. What if the LPA formed a committee or task force or something and approached some designers - Chloe Dau for example? And asked them to produce a line of clothing especially for adult llittle people - both men and women?  I have no idea how many Little People there are in the US, but I'm willing to bet it could be a real success and met a real need for a segment of the population that has been pretty basically ignored. Just an idea. Maybe it's been tried before?

I know this has been tried before.  In fact, Lifetime's show "Little People: NY" had some of the cast members walk the runway in a little people fashion show during NY's Fashion Week.  And one of the cast members on "Little People: LA" was trying to start her own line of little people clothes, but she also wanted to make it for both little people and regular sized people.  I've never been to a little people convention (I've never had any interest in it), but I can imagine clothing is a big topic of discussion.  However, to be honest, I don't know if a clothing line made just for little people could ever become "mainstream" enough to be successful.  The reality is that there are so many different forms of dwarfism and we all have different body proportions.  For example, even though Jen is shorter than me, she has the type of dwarfism where her limbs are more in proportion to her body, so she could probably get away with not having to tailor her sleeves as much.  With my type of dwarfism, my limbs are shorter/not in proportion with my body.  Besides the variations in body proportions, dwarves can be anywhere from under 3' to to over 4'; I think there is just too many variables to ever come up with a clothing line that would work really well for little people.

Ligirl you mentioned how hard it is to buy shoes online because you would hate to have to return them if they didnt work out. But these days these companies make it super simple. They put the shipping label right in- you just stick the label on the box and drop it off. They dont care if you return all of them. It might be worth a try if you see something you really like. I also have wide feet so I know what you mean about having to try on. But Ive had some luck buying online- the return was a breeze for the pairs I didnt keep

Thanks, I know the actual return process isn't difficult, but sometimes, you are charged return postage and this shoe company - Cinderella of Boston - makes you pay for the return postage and they advise that I pay for insurance on it.  That could add up for me.  But I think at some point, I might try one or two pairs and see how it goes.  We'll see.

Jen has the luxury of Chloe Dau at her doorstep; I dream of Uli.

Oh, how envious I was of Jen when she had Chloe Dau design dresses for her!  I absolutely loved Chloe! Sadly, I'm sure she doesn't come cheap.  If I was rich, I would totally try to find a personal tailor to custom make some things for me.  Better yet, I'd also love to have a personal shoemaker to make some shoes I'd love to have as well.

I doubt most of Jen's clothes are custom made, but rather often tailored like I have mine.  It's not like she's a conjoined twin who needs special clothing made; she can buy off the rack (even in upscale department stores), which I'm sure she often does, and just have things shortened as needed.

• Love 5

I know this has been tried before.  In fact, Lifetime's show "Little People: NY" had some of the cast members walk the runway in a little people fashion show during NY's Fashion Week.  And one of the cast members on "Little People: LA" was trying to start her own line of little people clothes, but she also wanted to make it for both little people and regular sized people.  I've never been to a little people convention (I've never had any interest in it), but I can imagine clothing is a big topic of discussion.  However, to be honest, I don't know if a clothing line made just for little people could ever become "mainstream" enough to be successful.  The reality is that there are so many different forms of dwarfism and we all have different body proportions.  For example, even though Jen is shorter than me, she has the type of dwarfism where her limbs are more in proportion to her body, so she could probably get away with not having to tailor her sleeves as much.  With my type of dwarfism, my limbs are shorter/not in proportion with my body.  Besides the variations in body proportions, dwarves can be anywhere from under 3' to to over 4'; I think there is just too many variables to ever come up with a clothing line that would work really well for little people.

Thanks, I know the actual return process isn't difficult, but sometimes, you are charged return postage and this shoe company - Cinderella of Boston - makes you pay for the return postage and they advise that I pay for insurance on it.  That could add up for me.  But I think at some point, I might try one or two pairs and see how it goes.  We'll see.

Oh, how envious I was of Jen when she had Chloe Dau design dresses for her!  I absolutely loved Chloe! Sadly, I'm sure she doesn't come cheap.  If I was rich, I would totally try to find a personal tailor to custom make some things for me.  Better yet, I'd also love to have a personal shoemaker to make some shoes I'd love to have as well.

I doubt most of Jen's clothes are custom made, but rather often tailored like I have mine.  It's not like she's a conjoined twin who needs special clothing made; she can buy off the rack (even in upscale department stores), which I'm sure she often does, and just have things shortened as needed.

Your news about clothing and shoes, sadly, isn''t surprising, LIGirl. I feel your pain. I wonder if there are any fledging dressmakers, tailors, designers on Etsy that would be interested? Etsy has craftsmen and free-lancers from all over the world. Someone may not get a fashion house in Paris out of it, but I'm sure there could be a few steady and very respectable livings made by making custom clothes for little people. Heck, if I was in my 20s now, instead of my late 50s, I'd do some nosing around into this myself.

• Love 3

Your news about clothing and shoes, sadly, isn''t surprising, LIGirl. I feel your pain. I wonder if there are any fledging dressmakers, tailors, designers on Etsy that would be interested? Etsy has craftsmen and free-lancers from all over the world. Someone may not get a fashion house in Paris out of it, but I'm sure there could be a few steady and very respectable livings made by making custom clothes for little people. Heck, if I was in my 20s now, instead of my late 50s, I'd do some nosing around into this myself.

Hm, I didn't even think of that, thanks for the tip!  I might have to peruse Etsy one day and see if there's anything or anyone who could be of help.  I just wish I was a millionaire so money would be no object with getting things custom made.  Ah, well.

• Love 3

LIGirl, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case.  Zappos has women's sizes all the way down to size 3.  The shipping is free, and the RETURNS ARE FREE!

• Love 5

Women's size 3 isnt small enough for me. :( Cinderella of Boston goes down to women's size 2 (even in wide!) and that might be pushing it. I'm crossing my fingers that when I finally do order something, a 2W could work, even if I have to stuff the toe area just slightly. I just want nice adult shoes, damnit. LOL

• Love 8

And speaking of LW:LA, I think the very first episode, didn't Brianna go to a shoe store in LA saying they were one of the only ones to make adult shoes for little people? I remember her explaining they too want to feel sexy.

I think Jen has hers made. I can't see anything otherwise.

• Love 1

Hm, I didn't even think of that, thanks for the tip!  I might have to peruse Etsy one day and see if there's anything or anyone who could be of help.  I just wish I was a millionaire so money would be no object with getting things custom made.  Ah, well.

Hey, we ALL wish that one - regardless of size! LOL :>)

• Love 2
(edited)

And speaking of LW:LA, I think the very first episode, didn't Brianna go to a shoe store in LA saying they were one of the only ones to make adult shoes for little people? I remember her explaining they too want to feel sexy.

I think Jen has hers made. I can't see anything otherwise.

Yes, that's the shoe store I've been referring to in my recent posts - Cinderella of Boston.  If only they were really in Boston; Boston is a hell of a lot closer to NY than LA!  Their shoes aren't made explicitly for little people, though.  They just happen to focus on the smaller sizes for all women (i.e., size 2 through 5 1/2).

I doubt Jen has her shoes custom made, at least not often or on a regular basis. She seems to have normal width feet and probably just gets children's shoes like I have to get.  Same for her clothes.  Other than having dresses custom made from time to time (as we've seen), regular clothes are a lot easier to get for little people than shoes; she probably gets them altered just like many of us do.

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 3

I don't think the Kleins will care. Unlike most reality folks they have a lot more going for them than yhe tv show. I do no blame them at all for making bank. Bill and Jen don't know how their health will be later in life. The book will still be out there, their careers will speak for themselves, and the most important yardstick of their success will be Zoey and Will.

• Love 8

I don't think the Kleins will care. Unlike most reality folks they have a lot more going for them than yhe tv show. I do no blame them at all for making bank. Bill and Jen don't know how their health will be later in life. The book will still be out there, their careers will speak for themselves, and the most important yardstick of their success will be Zoey and Will.

Very pertinent point. IMO, most "reality famiies" start to come apart when they begin to rely on the $$ and various other publicity "opportunities" for their livelihoods. This will likely not be the case with Bill and Jen. I can't imagine either of them being very upset when it ends for them - however that happens. They may get cancelled once the kids are no longer adorable. Or they may decide when Zoey starts kindergarten that enough is enough - and it's just not in the kids' best interests to continue. Whenever it ends for them, they have work to continue and may have even better opportunities/$$ come along.

• Love 3

I'm sure it will happen before then, but I hope at the very latest they stop before Will & Zoey are tweens/teens. I watched about 15 minutes of Kate + 8 recently when the sextuplets had their birthdays. I felt really badly for Cara and Maddie. It is hard being a teenager, it's got to be worse being a teenager on TV. Cara and Maddie seem very angry. You can't help but wonder how much of that is being dragged back into the spotlight after several years of relative privacy.

• Love 2

I agree as well.  Bill and Jen had a solid financial footing when they came into this.  The show has increased their income but I would wager that they have invested some of that.  Compare that to the Sister Wives clowns who were on welfare and "bleeding the beast" when their show started and they have blown every cent and are in debt up to their ears.

The Arnold-Kleins have jobs that they love and will do fine once the show ends.

• Love 7

Somehow I doubt that the Kleins will be lumped together negatively with all the other TLC shows/families in some far distant future, because they aren’t lumped together with them now. Bill and Jen were determined from the start that their show would be educational, inspirational, and family friendly and that it would avoid anything remotely “sensational “. Many of their viewers would agree that they have been faithful to their word. For sure, there are plenty of fleas on shows like the defunct "Honey Boo Boo" and some others in the trashy TLC stable, but I think "The Little Couple" maintains a respectable enough distance from them not to catch any. I believe that in the future, Jen and Bill will  be proud of how they were portrayed on the show and will be fine when the show is over  --  and that’s whether TLC gives them their pink slip, they themselves decide that the show is no longer working well for their family, or if they just feel they’ve stayed too long at the party.

• Love 10

They started their show long before they had the kids and I'm sure they'll end it soon.  The poor kids will miss the camera people.  I can't see it effecting them any more negatively than that.

• Love 2

Anyone who thinks this show is "harmful" or "detrimental" to Will and Zoey should watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" and "Teen Mom 2", especially ones with Farrah and her kid in the former and Jenelle and her kid in the latter.  Watch some of those shows and then come back and tell me how effed up Will and Zoey will be from all of this.  :P

• Love 5
(edited)

I completely disagree that Bill and Jen are "using" the children for greed.  They had the show for years before Will and Zoey came along.  They became welcome additions to their family and, as a result, to the show.  They both say in their book how the cameras were handled when each child was brought home after the adoption and it was to Will and Zoey's advantage.  If Bill and Jen were as greedy as some people claim, then rest assured they would have had cameras in every room of that house recording every moment of their get-acquainted time.

I have to add that Zoey seems to have picked up Jen's panache for fashion and accessories--she always looks like a little doll (and seems to enjoy it as well).

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 9

I completely disagree that Bill and Jen are "using" the children for greed.  They had the show for years before Will and Zoey came along.  They became welcome additions to their family and, as a result, to the show.  They both say in their book how the cameras were handled when each child was brought home after the adoption and it was to Will and Zoey's advantage.  If Bill and Jen were as greedy as some people claim, then rest assured they would have had cameras in every room of that house recording every moment of their get-acquainted time.

I have to add that Zoey seems to have picked up Jen's panache for fashion and accessories--she always looks like a little doll (and seems to enjoy it as well).

You expressed that so much better than I could.

• Love 3

Yest. 7:44 pm

Anyone who thinks this show is "harmful" or "detrimental" to Will and Zoey should watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" and "Teen Mom 2", especially ones with Farrah and her kid in the former and Jenelle and her kid in the latter.  Watch some of those shows and then come back and tell me how effed up Will and Zoey will be from all of this.

Eh... I'm sorry but there's are some genuine concerns about raising your children on a reality show. The kids who have been on long running shows, while not crack whores with babies and abusive ex boyfriends, aren't winning prizes either. The Roloff kids have not exactly set the world on fire. Mara Wilson, who played the cute lil girl in various 1990s movies wrote an awesome article about how being in show business ruined a lot of kids. I frankly have concerns about some of the things that get shown that tweens and teenagers will use to pick apart the unlucky kids on reality shows. Will and Zoey have their childhoods on display to where ten years from now, Will will be four foot tall maybe and still be hearing about how he crapped his pants in the car and got changed by the roadside.

• Love 1

Zoey can't drive or use her money to shop yet so it is safe to say Jen buys her clothing.   

Zoey can't drive or use her money to shop yet so it is safe to say Jen buys her clothing.

At the age of 2, my granddaughter began choosing her clothes out of her closet and adding her own accessory choices for her hair, her shoes, socks, etc.  True, the choices didn't always match but for the most part she did a great job.  I think, as independent as Zoey has begun to be, that she is probably doing that herself as well.  Of course, her choices are limited to the things already in her closet.   ; )  

• Love 3

Anyone who thinks this show is "harmful" or "detrimental" to Will and Zoey should watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" and "Teen Mom 2", especially ones with Farrah and her kid in the former and Jenelle and her kid in the latter.  Watch some of those shows and then come back and tell me how effed up Will and Zoey will be from all of this.  :P

You can't possibly compare the kids on Teen mom with parents of Farrah, Leah and Janelle to Will and Zoey. That's about as far fetched as you can get. 

• Love 1

I think LIGirl was saying the same thing--that Will and Zoey have a much stronger foundation to fall back on, therefore their futures aren't likely to be as bleak as the others that were mentioned!

• Love 7
(edited)

I think LIGirl was saying the same thing--that Will and Zoey have a much stronger foundation to fall back on, therefore their futures aren't likely to be as bleak as the others that were mentioned!

That's my take too. Bill & Jen are both--though perhaps Jen just a touch more--well-educated, accomplished in their fields, professionals. The adults in other reality shows involving minors, particularly those that have already (or should've) come & gone, with troubled minors (in the past or currently), not so much with the "well-educated, accomplished, professionals" thing. I really don't think we have much in the way of negativity to fear about the futures of Will & Zoey Klein.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 9

I don't think all children on television grow up with severe emotional problems.  I always think of Ron Howard and what a wonderful adult he became.  Jen and Bill are instilling great moral values in Will and Zoey and I don't think we have to worry about them!

• Love 8

Well, I'm sure we'll be reading all about it in Honey Boo Boo's "Mommy Dearest" book which will hit the shelves in the year 2045.  Until then, I will enjoy watching Will and Zoey Klein flourish as long as Bill and Jen will allow us to watch.

• Love 6

You can't possibly compare the kids on Teen mom with parents of Farrah, Leah and Janelle to Will and Zoey. That's about as far fetched as you can get. 

Actually, yes I can.

1) I am comparing them based on the fact that they are all on a reality show.  I'm comparing oranges to oranges based on that simple fact.

2) I wouldn't have voiced this opinion of mine if people didn't bring up and voice their opinion about how "detrimental" and "humiliating" these shows are to the kids featured from other reality shows (e.g., "Jon & Kate + 8"/"Kate + 8", "Honey Boo Boo", "19 Kids and Counting", "Little People, Big World", etc.) and say Will and Zoey will suffer the same fate.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because there are worse reality shows out there, that does not make "The Little Couple" good for the Klein children.

And on the flipside, just because there are children who, on other reality shows, suffered some negative consequences due to their show doesn't mean that the Klein children will suffer the same negative fate, too.  Whether or not allowing children on a reality show is "wrong" is very much a personal matter of opinion.  My personal opinion is that if the show is done tastefully, respectfully, with a great deal of support, and within proper parameters, all of which I think "The Little Couple" is and has tenfold, then I think it can be fine for the children (and adults).  I don't think this is necessarily "wrong" in this instance.  Again, my personal opinion.

I think the quality of family life, support, healthy lifestyle, and intentions behind this show both before, during, and likely after the show's existence, are vastly different than that of the aforementioned other reality shows, including the "Teen Mom" franchise.  Let's be real here, all of the other shows featured parents with drug abuse, criminal activity and records, lack of sufficient family support, a huge amount of passive aggressive behavior/bickering, incredibly acrimonious divorces/breakups, lack of financial stability and/or foresight, lower emphasis on and actual amount of education, etc.  It is because "The Little Couple" clearly presents the opposite of these factors that gives Will and Zoey a much greater chance of coming out of this experience largely unscathed.  I don't think it's so far fetched to believe that the chance of someone making fun of Will for being shown on TV during an instance of pooping in his diaper and having it changed in the car as a toddler (something toddlers in diapers do!) is quite low compared to someone making fun of or ostracizing a kid who is shown on TV with their parent(s) high on drugs, being put in the middle of their parents' contentious relationship and ensuing harsh breakup, or being screamed at or neglected.  I'm willing to bet the former is much less emotionally "damaging" than the latter.

Of course, we would be remiss if we didn't also acknowledge the fact that a child could be brought up with practically a picture perfect childhood with successful, loving, and supportive parents yet still become a victim of drugs, alcohol, sexual promiscuity, or other less than desirable lifestyle choices that do not reflect their solid childhood.  I think the Kleins are providing Will and Zoey with everything possible for a happy, healthy, and successful childhood, but they could turn out "bad" one day, too.  However, I highly doubt being on a respectable show like "The Little Couple" would be a or the cause of that.

Time will tell. None of us have any way of knowing. Reality TV is a new phenomena. We will know when these kids are in their 30's and 40's.

Having said all that I have said, I am at least willing to agree that this is a very valid viewpoint because none of us - neither the supporters nor the naysayers of this show - have a crystal ball into the future.

• Love 16

in an episode maybe season 1 of 2 Jen was in NY and had two pairs of shoes made, which were her first set of high heels, actually a pump. They were sling backs and just black leather and patent leather, not attractive IMO, but it was her style. I also remember her saying she wears a kids size 11 1/2 or 12 and once you get to 1 it's a whole new world of style of shoes, I have no kids so I have no clue. I have seen her wear wedge heels and in the episode when they went to Washington to represent TCH the shoes she had on looked so uncomfortable because they were so big on her feet. For the most part her flats are probably kids shoes that look adult, I have seen her wear Michael Kors and Coach flats so maybe they make those in children's sizes or she had them specially made.

Are there no longer dedicated threads for each episode?

• Love 1

Just have to get this said: Zoey is the most beautiful little girl I think I have ever laid eyes on.

OMG she is adorable but I so wish Jen would let her hair grow longer and not the chopped bangs and shoulder length cut and also stop getting Will the soup bowl haircuts.

I don't think all children on television grow up with severe emotional problems.  I always think of Ron Howard and what a wonderful adult he became.  Jen and Bill are instilling great moral values in Will and Zoey and I don't think we have to worry about them!

Very good point, and excellent example. I do think the Internet and social media add a slant now that Ron Howard's parents didn't have to consider in the 50s and 60s, but whether or not that will be significant is unknown. It might be for some. Obviously not everyone who takes a drink becomes an alcoholic, and not every child involved in reality TV will have a bad experience, or suffer ill effects because of it. How children react to everything is a combination of organic and environmental factors.  Some kids really are born shy, for example - but that doesn't mean they're doomed to be hermits for the rest of their lives. If slowly-drawn out in a sensitive way by people they trust, they gradually learn to feel more secure and self-confident - and will learn to make friends and more importantly, see the value of friendships with others. IMO, the single most important factor for how a reality TV kid will turn out are the reality TV parents. Certainly the added stress of what's involved in reality TV - the filming, the publicity demands, the lack of privacy - are going to add difficulty to the whole situation. It's pointless to deny that. But, and I know it's a very broad generalization, for the most part, thoughtful, intelligent and unselfish, parents raise happy well-adjusted kids. Not perfect kids, and not kids who are happy every moment of the day either. And that's OK.

• Love 1

OMG she is adorable but I so wish Jen would let her hair grow longer and not the chopped bangs and shoulder length cut and also stop getting Will the soup bowl haircuts.

I agree!  Will's hair drives me nuts, although it may just be personal preference as I prefer little boys with short hair (and I thought Will looked super adorable with his short hair, like when they first adopted him).  And I would love to see Zoey with some longer hair and no bangs.  But they are cute as buttons no matter what imo.

Are there no longer dedicated threads for each episode?

Looks like they just did some house cleaning and have moved all the episode threads to the S09 sub-thread since their season has now ended.

• Love 1

Looks like they just did some house cleaning and have moved all the episode threads to the S09 sub-thread since their season has now ended.

Yes, that is exactly what we did!  I neglected to come back and say ... hey, this is what we did!  My apologies.  All dedicated past season episodes can be found here.

• Love 3

Will is due to start kindergarten in another month. Based on what I've seen, he isn't going to be ready. I wonder how they will address this issue on the show.

By saying, "Based on what I've seen, he isn't going to be ready," how do you mean?  In what way(s) you do think he's not ready? Also, do you mean just based on what you've seen on this show, or are you referring to other programming, news articles, media reports, etc. that gave further indication of his skill levels?  If you are only referring to the former, I may have to respectfully disagree with your personal assessment as I don't think that's the best indication of where Will's skills are now and if they're appropriate for admittance to Kindergarten next month.  For one thing, the episodes we saw this season, which concluded over a month ago, were airing things that happened even during months prior to that.  I can see (and have seen) a child's skills improve even over a short period of time, let alone several months.  Of course, this could also be dependent upon whether Jen and Bill felt some of Will's skills needed to be worked on in order to proceed to Kindergarten and, if so, they absolutely strike me as the type of parents who would utilize any and every resource at their disposal to help Will improve upon any weaknesses.  If you were referring to the latter (i.e., other sources displaying his skill levels), then may I ask where/what they are?  I haven't seen anything beyond this show that would give us a closer look at Will's skills, but I'd greatly appreciate seeing other instances so that I may have a better idea of where you're coming from.

In any case, I do think the show has done more than an adequate job of showing how intelligent Will is.  If his social and/or emotional skills are what's of concern, I think he's been shown to be both rather typical for his age (e.g., getting a bit tantrum-y if he didn't want to share) and to have improved or show promise of improvement over the course of this season's episodes.  For example, I believe he showed great promise in being able to listen and obey in a classroom-like setting when he tried karate; he was very good at following his instructor's directions and responding correctly if he did need some redirection at any point.  If some of what I just spoke about are things that are of concern, well, I believe there are very few Kindergartners who never, ever have an issue with a classmate or who obey a teacher's every command immediately and correctly each day from the first day of school.  Will, in my own opinion, will do just fine to start Kindergarten on time with his same aged peers, and I believe anything that may need extra attention will be addressed, to which he will respond well.

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 13