Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

I'm sorry, why is this even a debate?

If Bill and Jen don't feel he's ready for kindergarten, he's still young enough to where they can wait to enroll him. It might be for the best if they wait, because of the language delays.

If they do enroll him and he has problematic behavior, he will be assessed and given an IEP and professionals will be monitoring him, but frankly he'd still end up in regular kindergarten if he's enrolled in public school because mainstreaming is how kids with minor problems are handled. Will will probably have an IEP regardless because of his physical disability.

As for how they address it on the show, if he goes to kindergarten at five, I suspect they will say so. And if they wait until he is six, as my parents did because of my language delays (hearing issue long resolved) then they will simply say " We didn't think Will was ready".

Legally they can't refuse to enroll Will in school unless they provide a homeschooling plan, or show he's going to private school, but there is some leeway when kids are 5 and not quite ready.

• Love 6

I'm sorry, why is this even a debate?

If Bill and Jen don't feel he's ready for kindergarten, he's still young enough to where they can wait to enroll him. It might be for the best if they wait, because of the language delays.

If they do enroll him and he has problematic behavior, he will be assessed and given an IEP and professionals will be monitoring him, but frankly he'd still end up in regular kindergarten if he's enrolled in public school because mainstreaming is how kids with minor problems are handled. Will will probably have an IEP regardless because of his physical disability.

As for how they address it on the show, if he goes to kindergarten at five, I suspect they will say so. And if they wait until he is six, as my parents did because of my language delays (hearing issue long resolved) then they will simply say " We didn't think Will was ready".

Legally they can't refuse to enroll Will in school unless they provide a homeschooling plan, or show he's going to private school, but there is some leeway when kids are 5 and not quite ready.

I agree with you they should wait due to his language delays.  

Will attending "school" was covered on the show and according to Bill (in the clip) it is called preschool which is 2-5 years of age.  Bill said Will's speech was improving as a result, his numbers were better and both kids are learning to wipe their hinies. Because Will's birthday is mid year I think he can stay in preschool another year so he can hopefully catch up to his age group.  He is not ready to sit still and listen even when his mother was reading a book to the kid's at the hospital at Xmas.  He also has to be able to put his own coat on, go to the bathroom on his own successfully, say the alphabet correctly and recite numbers.  Those are just some basics.  

There is a pic on twitter of Will tracing capital W so it appears he is learning to print his own name in capitals in order to move forward to the next level.  They have been working on other things at home almost from the get go, shapes, colors, numbers, alphabet, hopping on one foot, naming animals, sounds etc.            

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/little-couple/videos/how-is-school-going-for-the-kids/

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

We have children starting kindergarten in my town who don't speak any English - at all. In fact, many have not even been to preschool. They get services from the school district until they can join regular classes. If they are enrolled in full-day kindergarten, they join other kids for phys ed and lunch. We have so many bilingual kids in our school district that even the kids who don't speak English are not isolated or marginalized. (On Long Island, school districts are separated by each small town, not a County system or City-wide like most of the country. So we are very responsive to the needs of the student demographic.) 

I don't know when Will's birthday is, but here December 1st is the cut-off date for entrance into kindergarten - meaning you have to turn 5 by November 30th. So many children enter school at 4 years, 9 months. Not even 5!

Will can speak, he knows what he's trying to say, even if we can't understand him. He understands whatever adults tell him, which means that he does know the language, but it's a speech issue. So he'll see a speech therapist if necessary. 

• Love 8

I agree with you they should wait due to his language delays.  

Will attending "school" was covered on the show and according to Bill (in the clip) it is called preschool which is 2-5 years of age.  Bill said Will's speech was improving as a result, his numbers were better and both kids are learning to wipe their hinies. Because Will's birthday is mid year I think he can stay in preschool another year so he can hopefully catch up to his age group.  He is not ready to sit still and listen even when his mother was reading a book to the kid's at the hospital at Xmas.  He also has to be able to put his own coat on, go to the bathroom on his own successfully, say the alphabet correctly and recite numbers.  Those are just some basics.  

There is a pic on twitter of Will tracing capital W so it appears he is learning to print his own name in capitals in order to move forward to the next level.  They have been working on other things at home almost from the get go, shapes, colors, numbers, alphabet, hopping on one foot, naming animals, sounds etc.            

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/little-couple/videos/how-is-school-going-for-the-kids/

I worked with Fours, Fives and Sixes for 25 years as a teacher and agree that it's very possible that Will could do reasonably well if enrolled in Kindergarten for Fall 2015, especially if he gets the auxiliary services he needs, continues speech therapy etc. But I also agree that right now, Will is not a typical Five in his skills or behavior. If asked for a professional opinion, I'd recommend one more year in a pre-school setting. He came to the US with significant disadvantages and has made great progress, but a little more time is still needed, especially socially. I could imagine Will entering kindergarten in Fall 2016 at age 6½ with strong skills, language etc. He might even be in line for enrichment activities at that point, which would do SO much for his self-confidence.

• Love 4

He's 5 and 1/2. I can't see waiting till he is 6 and 1/2 to enter kindergarten. That means he could be two years older than some of his classmates, if they start at 4, as some do here on Long Island. Socializing with peers is one of the most important school readiness skills. I can't see holding him back.

In the spring of the preschool year I start to notice children helping others without being told to, using please, thank you and my favorite, handling health routines and classroom tasks on their own. That indicates school readiness. Letters and numbers can be taught when the child enters kindergarten.

I have never heard of a child being held back for speech delays. That can be handled in school.

• Love 2

Don't usually post on this thread, but I was out for my afternoon constitutional and saw Jen and Bill exiting a building in midtown NYC (57th St.).  It's a huge office building, so they could have been there for any reason.  My dentist is just one of many in that building, doubt they were there to see them though :).    They were sans kids and a woman I didn't recognize with them.  Other than that, they were alone.  

My guess is Bill and Jen will discuss any developmental delays severe enough to hold Will back on TV. I wouldn't. People are curious, but one thing I like about this show is they do protect a lot of the kid's privacy. Just cause they're on TV doesn't mean they owe the audience everything

• Love 1

That means he could be two years older than some of his classmates, if they start at 4, as some do here on Long Island.

Well, its not like they have to worry about him being bigger than his school mates, you know :)

• Love 1

I think we have lots of experts on children!  

Yes, we might - LOL. I have two university degrees and 25 years of experience working with little kids in organized settings, and I've never thought of myself as expert. I'm very experienced, but in no way an expert. I believe my classroom years provided me with knowledge and insights that most mothers would be extremely unlikely to learn in a home setting, just as mothers learn things in caring and interacting with their children that I couldn't hope to discover in a classroom. We need to acknowledge that all experience and viewpoints are valid and valuable - and that when it comes to human beings, there's no formula for doing anything that's always right or best for everyone.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 8

We need to acknowledge that all experience and viewpoints are valid and valuable - and that when it comes to human beings, there's no formula for doing anything that's always right or best for everyone.

This by no means is a MOD comment, this is just little ole me, BizBuzz, and I gotta say I love this particular thought process.  Not just for in here, but for real life. 

I tell my Mom (I am her caregiver) all the time ... just because it's different than how you would do it, doesn't make how I am doing it wrong.  ::giggle::

Thanks for that.

• Love 5

With all due respect, who cares whether Will is in preschool or kindergarten?  Does it bring any more enjoyment to watching the show to have confirmation of his level of education? 

• Love 13

Each level of early childhood education includes benchmarks and it would be nice to know how Will is doing in comparison to his age group especially since he had such a rough start in life.  On the show we saw his hearing get surgically corrected and private sessions with a speech therapist.  If he were working at a level above his peers we would certainly be hearing about that from Jen and Bill and applauding his progress right along with them!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

I also feel very invested and interested in these two adorable children, and yet I’m quite satisfied with what is shown of their progress and general family life on the show. There have been some concerns expressed about the possible invasion of privacy or exploitation of the children for ratings, but I’ve always felt completely confident that Bill and Jen know exactly where to draw the line to protect Will and Zoey regarding filming or sharing on social media.  Since I do trust and respect their judgment, I’m more than happy as a viewer to stay on the outside of the privacy margins that they as caring parents set as appropriate.

• Love 15

Sounds as if Bill and Jenn are "damned if they do, damned if they don't."  Too much information and they get raked over the coals for putting their children on TV and showing too much of their lives.  Not revealing every detail and they are controlling and secretive.  Why can't viewers just be entertained with what is shown and go on about their own lives?

• Love 13

Jen and her mom have outdone themselves in the shopping dept, because every outfit Zooey is wearing is adorbs.

Haven't warmed up to the Johnstons at all, TLC can't replace B,J,W,Z.

But I would like to see Zooey and Will visiting at the Roloofs farm like the before mentioned's visit.

Are they filming new episodes? I don't watch the other Little People family shows because the people aren't interesting to me. But this family is unique, the children have had such a huge journey to get to this point and I would love to see them on TV again.

• Love 5

It looks like Zoey had a tea party to celebrate her big 4-point-0 birthday--or so Jen says on Instagram, where she posted a couple of new pics (& she Tweeted the links on her Twitter).

This appears to be a "pretend" tea party, involving Will, a couple of Zoey's dolls, & "pretend" food & tea.

https://instagram.com/p/8Jb4oiq-ZM/

But this pic, with just Zoey (looking like "Mom, do you REALLY need to take a picture NOW? I'm busy!"), appears to be a REAL tea party--it looks like real food by Zoey. And, as 1 of the Instagram commenters pointed out, it looks as if they might be filming now (apparently 1 of the people in the background seems to be holding a camera that could be used for TV filming, not just home videos).

https://instagram.com/p/8JcZyoK-am/

• Love 2

It looks like Zoey had a tea party to celebrate her big 4-point-0 birthday--or so Jen says on Instagram, where she posted a couple of new pics (& she Tweeted the links on her Twitter).

This appears to be a "pretend" tea party, involving Will, a couple of Zoey's dolls, & "pretend" food & tea.

https://instagram.com/p/8Jb4oiq-ZM/

But this pic, with just Zoey (looking like "Mom, do you REALLY need to take a picture NOW? I'm busy!"), appears to be a REAL tea party--it looks like real food by Zoey. And, as 1 of the Instagram commenters pointed out, it looks as if they might be filming now (apparently 1 of the people in the background seems to be holding a camera that could be used for TV filming, not just home videos).

https://instagram.com/p/8JcZyoK-am/

Cute photo of Zoey. She looks like she's lost the 'baby' look too. I'll be eager to see how she and Will are doing...

• Love 3

My guess is Bill and Jen learned a long time ago what other people think of them is not their problem. You do what you think is best for you and your family and let the chips fall where they may. The people who they care about know the truth and at the end of the day that's all that matters

• Love 5

Jen Tweeted a "Throwback Thursday" pic this week that was a family pic (her, Bill, Will, Zoey, Nai-Nai & Grand Baba Arnold, & Kate... I think) taken at Zoey's Old McDonald Had a Farm-themed third birthday party last year (which was on the show).

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenArnoldMD/status/649662532194426880/photo/1

And Bill Tweeted a pic of him & Zoey (love the expression on her face) that he said was taken in their driveway earlier today (he sort of sounds like he's either letting Zoey pretend drive or actually drive just a little--like up & down the driveway, as long as she doesn't go in the street... Like a lot of our parents let us do when we were kids).

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReallyBillKlein/status/650773117481058304/photo/1

• Love 1

My guess is Bill and Jen learned a long time ago what other people think of them is not their problem. You do what you think is best for you and your family and let the chips fall where they may. The people who they care about know the truth and at the end of the day that's all that matters

I agree. I believe the bottom line is that most people really DON'T care what others will think. They will go ahead and do X, if that's what they really WANT to do. At least I hope so. I'd hate to find out someday that most people did far less than they wanted to because they were so worried about what other humans would think of them. My Dad always said, "As long as what you're doing doesn't hurt anyone else..." And of course we can always count on Dr Seuss too - Be who you are and say what you think - because those who mind don’t matter - and those who matter don’t mind. ⭐️

• Love 3

Jen cut Zoey's hair very short just like her own - a pixie cut.  It was posted on her Facebook on Instagram and also there is one photo of Zoey on Bill's twitter.  I was really shocked.  I thought Zoey's hair in the bob with the ponytail on the side was the most adorable look for her, and also the soft curls.  What was Jen thinking?  Especially such a short cut on a four-year-old little girl.  Well, many expressed pros and cons at Zoey's new look.  I for one would never cut my daughter's hair that short - it looks just like Will.  What do you think?  I guess Jen can do anything she wants, but I don't like it.

• Love 1

Well, as a mom of a daughter, and one that believes in short hair, I can say I love it, although the picture isn't all that attractive.  My daughter, 16, has most of her hair shaved close to her head.  It's the "thing" these days for sure.

ETA:  Oh and one more thing ... when my boys were 4 and 5, the 5 year old discovered scissors and decided to try and give the 4 year old a hair cut.  Which led to us shaving the 4 year old's head.  Which to that point was long blond curls.  It was heartbreaking ...

One never knows why things like this happens, there could be a reason behind it.

• Love 5

Well, as a mom of a daughter, and one that believes in short hair, I can say I love it, although the picture isn't all that attractive.  My daughter, 16, has most of her hair shaved close to her head.  It's the "thing" these days for sure.

ETA:  Oh and one more thing ... when my boys were 4 and 5, the 5 year old discovered scissors and decided to try and give the 4 year old a hair cut.  Which led to us shaving the 4 year old's head.  Which to that point was long blond curls.  It was heartbreaking ...

One never knows why things like this happens, there could be a reason behind it.

I'd give anything to be able to rock a short haircut!  Of course, I'd give anything not to have baby fine thin hair, too.  :-)

I like long locks on boys and short hair on girls; or whatever floats your boat.  It's only hair, for goodness sakes.

• Love 6

Maybe they're between childcare-givers right now and Jen got tired of having to fix Zoey's hair every day? I'm sure she was probably fairly OCD about it and it might have taken too much time for Jen to get it as she had to have it. Of course, Jen knows Bill would be no earthly use when it came to Zoey's hair. Also she has a good friend, that Indian doctor in New York, who has a very short do - or at least DID when they filmed the vow renewal. Maybe Jen wanted to see how that look would be for Zoey. I think the other cut was cuter but if I was in charge of maintaining it and it was a pain, I'd opt for something easier too. As oldest, I was the only girl who had long hair until first grade - and even then my Mom did my hair in braids most days, or a ponytail. My younger sisters got the little "Prince Valiant" cut with bangs once they were about 3 and basically we stayed short-haired until we were old enough to complain about it - and change it - ourselves.

Edited by Wellfleet

There are special shampoos on the market for head lice.  No need to chop the poor girl's hair off.  I think Jen was very wrong in doing this to pretty Zoey!  I'm sorry but that is just the way I feel.

• Love 1

Sure, because Jen is the only one making decisions?

And she chose a horrible cut because?

(I don't think it looks bad, actually. It seems boyish but cute)

If I assumed evil intent over every bad hairstyle my mom forced me into....

And I had to go to school with permed hair, fucking ringlets in ponytails, laura ingalls braids....

• Love 2