Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

I wonder why Jen didn't take Will to see the pony at the pumpkin patch. He seemed to enjoy the pony at Zoey's birthday party. I think the division in that family just keeps getting bigger. You rarely see Jen do anything with Will.

I agree with you a thousand percent. I'm finding I'm not enjoying this show like I used to. I'm growing very weary of Jen's constant crowning of Princess Zoey. And the constant division of boys -vs- girls. All. the. time. I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling with all this division. Jen seems frustrated with Will very easily but has no problem accommodating Zoey's fickle personality. Every activity or competition is turned into boys -vs- girls.

Just watching the pumpkin decorating. Right away Jen says, "Zoey, come help me decorate it!"

I know most won't agree with me, and that's fine, but it does make me a little sad. Will will notice if he hasn't already. 

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 2

When Bill took Will fishing, he said something like, "A man wants to take his son - or daughter - fishing with him." The first part of that sentence is paraphrased, but I remember how he threw in the "daughter" comment. So why didn't he offer to take his daughter fishing, too?

They do seem to stick pretty closely to gender roles in playtime but seeing how Jen is a Doctor and the family breadwinner, I don't think Will or Zoey will grow up with a skewed idea of what men and woman can do.

Zoey does seem to like getting dressed up but she also likes riding ponies, is taking swimming lessons, and will probably express interests in other activities as she gets older.

• Love 3

I agree with you a thousand percent. I'm finding I'm not enjoying this show like I used to. I'm growing very weary of Jen's constant crowning of Princess Zoey. And the constant division of boys -vs- girls. All. the. time. I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling with all this division. Jen seems frustrated with Will very easily but has no problem accommodating Zoey's fickle personality. Every activity or competition is turned into boys -vs- girls.

Just watching the pumpkin decorating. Right away Jen says, "Zoey, come help me decorate it!"

I know most won't agree with me, and that's fine, but it does make me a little sad. Will will notice if he hasn't already. 

It's so funny how we all see things so differently.  When I see Jen with Will and he acts up, I always wish she would get a little frustrated with him and set him straight.

• Love 5

When Bill took Will fishing, he said something like, "A man wants to take his son - or daughter - fishing with him." The first part of that sentence is paraphrased, but I remember how he threw in the "daughter" comment. So why didn't he offer to take his daughter fishing, too?

They do seem to stick pretty closely to gender roles in playtime but seeing how Jen is a Doctor and the family breadwinner, I don't think Will or Zoey will grow up with a skewed idea of what men and woman can do.

Zoey does seem to like getting dressed up but she also likes riding ponies, is taking swimming lessons, and will probably express interests in other activities as she gets older.

Wasn't the fishing show the episode she stopped dead for a tiny bug on the way out the door? I'd be afraid actually seeing a fish caught, or even the bait, would be a full on panic situation for Zoey. Jen likes fishing, so chances are Zoey will be exposed to it, but given her fear of bugs and birds and Will's dislike of the beach, but obviously not the water, this time the gender split made sense. Honestly, I wouldn't want to take either kid fishing. I hate fishing, but that aside, taking a 4 year old, let alone a 2, maybe just 3, year old is my idea of a nightmare.

• Love 3

It's so funny how we all see things so differently.  When I see Jen with Will and he acts up, I always wish she would get a little frustrated with him and set him straight.

I think her not setting him straight is ignoring Will, she really doesn't care enough about him to discipline him to be a better person.  He is trying to get her attention by throwing letters, smacking his hand at her, throwing her purse on the floor, ripping up papers and still she does nothing but natter.  He must feel what can be seen on film.  He is being tolerated yet she adores Zoey.   

And Bill would not have dared to include Zoey!  That would have annoyed Jen, Will is yours Bill and Zoey is mine.  The kids just sat in lawn chairs anyway eating candy and goldfish.  Zoey would have done that with Bill but Will would not have done that with Jen without crying for his Daddy.    

• Love 2

I believe that Jen favors Zoey and makes no secret of it. I don't think I.have ever seen a mother be more blatant about her favortism. Bill spends more time with Will than he does with Zoey. I don't know if he does it because he favors Will, or because he has no choice due to Jen's favortism of Zoey. Now we find out that they even gave Zoey the last name Arnold and Will the last name Klein. I am in my fifties and have never seen a division in a family as big as I see in the Klein family. I think that Bill and Jen would benefit from parenting classes or family counseling. A division like this in a family is not good and should be addressed, in my opinion

I had no idea that they have different last names.   Its weird to me.

They do seem to do a lot of gender separation.    I think at least on camera Jen is desperate to show she is adored by at least Zoey.  Its that way over the top competitiveness she has. I will never forget how infantile she acted years ago when she won some game at a ladies night get-together.

I think both kids are strongly bonded to Bill.   I never believed that storyline about Zoey hating Bill.

• Love 3

And Bill would not have dared to include Zoey!  That would have annoyed Jen, Will is yours Bill and Zoey is mine.

Then Bill is complicit in the gender divide. If he's genuinely too frightened of Jen to disagree, then he owns the fact that he allows his wife to keep his daughter from him,

That said, I think Bill isn't frightened of his wife, I think he's just got a traditional mindset. If I accept the "Will is yours" attitude (I don't but lets assume I do) the reality is that Bill is allowed to do with Will as *he* pleases and Bill enforces the gender role that Will will  do *male* activities only. Bill is NOT encouraging Will to have tea parties and play with unicorns and fairies, nope nope nope, Bill is pleased as punch to show how his *boy* like boy things like cars and fishing.

It takes two to parent. I personally think Bill has no issue with the gendering but if he's genuinely too afraid to dare rile Jen by including Zoey, then he's a shitty parent.

• Love 5

I believe that Jen favors Zoey and makes no secret of it. I don't think I.have ever seen a mother be more blatant about her favortism. Bill spends more time with Will than he does with Zoey. I don't know if he does it because he favors Will, or because he has no choice due to Jen's favortism of Zoey. Now we find out that they even gave Zoey the last name Arnold and Will the last name Klein. I am in my fifties and have never seen a division in a family as big as I see in the Klein family. I think that Bill and Jen would benefit from parenting classes or family counseling. A division like this in a family is not good and should be addressed, in my opinion

I think this assumption absolutely cannot be made until Bill and Jen tell us that it is - or until we see coverage of the family on a 24/7 basis. It is still extremely common in this country - regardless of age - for men to spend more time with their sons, and for women to spend more time with their daughters. On a general, overall basis. Even if it is true, what is accomplished by being critical of it?

• Love 2

Since Bill spends more time with the children than Jen, and since he refuses to act like anything other than a buddy and playmate, perhaps HE is responsible for all these perceived problems, and HE is the bad parent, rather than Jen.  Just sayin'.  ;-)

• Love 9

Then Bill is complicit in the gender divide. If he's genuinely too frightened of Jen to disagree, then he owns the fact that he allows his wife to keep his daughter from him,

That said, I think Bill isn't frightened of his wife, I think he's just got a traditional mindset. If I accept the "Will is yours" attitude (I don't but lets assume I do) the reality is that Bill is allowed to do with Will as *he* pleases and Bill enforces the gender role that Will will  do *male* activities only. Bill is NOT encouraging Will to have tea parties and play with unicorns and fairies, nope nope nope, Bill is pleased as punch to show how his *boy* like boy things like cars and fishing.

It takes two to parent. I personally think Bill has no issue with the gendering but if he's genuinely too afraid to dare rile Jen by including Zoey, then he's a shitty parent.

Agree!!!

Since Bill spends more time with the children than Jen, and since he refuses to act like anything other than a buddy and playmate, perhaps HE is responsible for all these perceived problems, and HE is the bad parent, rather than Jen.  Just sayin'.  ;-)

Agree, both parents are lax and Bill does not step up to the plate that is no secret!  I dare anyone to try to pry Zoey away from Jen now though.  

I genuinely don't know why this doesn't get said more often. Bill definitely likes being the kids buddy. All I can say is see how well that worked out for Amy Roloff.

• Love 3

Just repeatedly saying Jen doesn't care about Will doesn't make it true. As for the last names, people can edit Wiki to say anything they want. That is the source of this info, correct? And if it is true, so what? Jen uses Arnold, Bill uses Klein. Why shouldn't one of their kids have her last name?

• Love 10

The only favoritism I've noticed is Judy for Zoey. She rarely speaks to Will. That said we see only a tiny portion of their lives. We do not have enough information to make these kinds of judgements. Still enjoy watching the show and I still see a lot of love in this family

• Love 3

As has been said before, it's amazing that we can watch the same show and see different things. I don't think there should be worried about gender roles as the Bill is a stay at home dad and Jen works outside the house. I think it all evens out. Like I said before, a lot of love in this family

• Love 5

Nobody else remembers the day Jen spent with Will and was trying to get him to fingerpaint with her?  He hit her and she disciplined him, put him in time out and explained about hitting and KEPT him in time out.  I guess my husband and I were the only ones that saw that episode, because we don't see her as favoring either child, a huge family gender split or Jen being cold and unloving towards Will.  I just do not see any of that.

I see a woman who likes to do girly things and so does her daughter.  I see a man who likes to do guy things and so does his son.  I don't see why that's a problem. (in my opinion)

• Love 15

I think this assumption absolutely cannot be made until Bill and Jen tell us that it is - or until we see coverage of the family on a 24/7 basis. It is still extremely common in this country - regardless of age - for men to spend more time with their sons, and for women to spend more time with their daughters. On a general, overall basis. Even if it is true, what is accomplished by being critical of it?

SNARK!  LOL

• Love 2

I see a woman who likes to do girly things and so does her daughter.  I see a man who likes to do guy things and so does his son.  I don't see why that's a problem. (in my opinion)

I think it has potential to be a problem, speaking as someone who grew up in a strictly gendered home. I think right now the kids aren't old enough to protest it. Right now Zoey pretty much is only presented with girly things to do, Will is only presented with boy things to do. As I have said, Bill certainly doesn't protest the gendering and seems to love the whole "I have a boy who loves cars just like me" vibe. If its always dresses and tea parties for Zoey and she's not allowed to be anything but the girliest girl who ever girled, it can cause resentments later on. Likewise, three or four years from now, Will might find cars to be the dumbest thing ever. Personally, it's not a *huge* concern to me, as these aren't my kids, I just find it disappointing that Bill and Jen are a somewhat nontraditional couple buying into the stereotyped gender roles for their kids.

Bill does seem to like one girlish kind of thing.  He has more hair colors than Jen.  He also has the new season glasses look too.

Speaking of hair, I wish they would keep Zoey's bangs shorter. Bill can take her when he has his roots done.  :)

• Love 3

SNARK!  LOL

Exactly! That's why we're here. We can say that about any show. But we're here to discuss what we see on TV. 

Nobody else remembers the day Jen spent with Will and was trying to get him to fingerpaint with her?  He hit her and she disciplined him, put him in time out and explained about hitting and KEPT him in time out.  

That was like 2 years ago and before they got Zoey. 

• Love 3

Will is lucky to be allowed to still live in that house, being that Jen really can't stand him.  How long will it be before she forces him to live in a hole under the stairs?  This is obviously the reason why Will isn't potty trained.  Jen really doesn't give a shit.  No pun intended.

/sarcasm

• Love 15

Exactly! That's why we're here. We can say that about any show. But we're here to discuss what we see on TV. 

That was like 2 years ago and before they got Zoey. 

So was her comment about just wait until Zoey got there, but that's hardly stopped people from using it as proof that Jen doesn't love Will. 

• Love 8
And Bill would not have dared to include Zoey!  That would have annoyed Jen, Will is yours Bill and Zoey is mine.  The kids just sat in lawn chairs anyway eating candy and goldfish.  Zoey would have done that with Bill but Will would not have done that with Jen without crying for his Daddy.

Will does not like the sand so he would not have enjoyed going to the beach with Bill or Jen. Zoey doesn't like bugs and wouldn't have enjoyed seeing Bill put the worms on the hook. In this case, the kids each did what they would enjoy despite it being with their gender specific parent.

Trixie, I remember that episode when Jen spent the day with Will and did a fine job disciplining him when warranted.

• Love 7

Will does not like the sand so he would not have enjoyed going to the beach with Bill or Jen. Zoey doesn't like bugs and wouldn't have enjoyed seeing Bill put the worms on the hook. In this case, the kids each did what they would enjoy despite it being with their gender specific parent.

Yes, see Fostersmoms post upthread.

I guess there's no way of knowing what they have to do vs. what they want to do. It's my personal opinion, that they want to do most, if not all of it. Time will tell.

How will time tell us this? How many of the "personal appearances" Bill and Jen make are contracted as promotional for the show?

Of course they're happy being in the public eye, they wouldn't have done the first season, much less all the rest, if they weren't.  I guess I just don't see some nefarious or dastardly motivation like others do.  I think that they genuinely wanted to show people that even having serious physical hurdles to overcome, it's possible to have a happy and successful life.  It's obvious they don't need whatever TLC pays them, unlike oh, the 90 Day Fiance couples.

• Love 7

Will, like so many preschool boys, has a fascination with wheels. I rarely see girls who are intent on just rolling cars and trucks back and forth, back and forth. Girls tend to make up stories about the cars or fire engines, or whatever might be considered "boys' toys."

So far Will seems to fit neatly in that category. Zoey's interests are hard to tell from what we've seen, we haven't heard her ask to do a puzzle or artwork, or play with her dolls. She may be doing that, and it might be considered too boring for TV. What she does onscreen is pretty much presented to her. I can't believe, though, that she's never alone in her room with the opportunity to make some of her own choices.

I don't believe that Jen doesn't love Will, and Will doesn't love Jen. Moms have to do some pretty awful stuff for kids not to love them. I found out from my mother when both my brother and I were in our early 50s that my mom used to beat my brother when he was a baby. I've never told him this, because I think it would hurt more than help him. (Since she died last year we have uncovered some other issues that have made us both feel even sadder and disappointed in her.) That's the kind of deep, emotional scarring that touches a child's soul. Mom wanting to play dress-up with little sister? Not even in the same universe.

• Love 11

Well stated. He is the flip side of Jen, yet many overlook his "shortcomings" as a parent.

Me, I don't think I have enough information to make blanket statements using words like "always" and "never" or definitive statements about anyone's motivation. We don't know these people.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 6

Will, like so many preschool boys, has a fascination with wheels. I rarely see girls who are intent on just rolling cars and trucks back and forth, back and forth. Girls tend to make up stories about the cars or fire engines, or whatever might be considered "boys' toys."

So far Will seems to fit neatly in that category. Zoey's interests are hard to tell from what we've seen, we haven't heard her ask to do a puzzle or artwork, or play with her dolls. She may be doing that, and it might be considered too boring for TV. What she does onscreen is pretty much presented to her. I can't believe, though, that she's never alone in her room with the opportunity to make some of her own choices.

I don't believe that Jen doesn't love Will, and Will doesn't love Jen. Moms have to do some pretty awful stuff for kids not to love them. I found out from my mother when both my brother and I were in our early 50s that my mom used to beat my brother when he was a baby. I've never told him this, because I think it would hurt more than help him. (Since she died last year we have uncovered some other issues that have made us both feel even sadder and disappointed in her.) That's the kind of deep, emotional scarring that touches a child's soul. Mom wanting to play dress-up with little sister? Not even in the same universe.

Absolutely right. Both Bill and Jen love both the kids. Although I will go out on a limb here and state that I do believe it's possible for parents to have favorites. It's just plain human nature to have an affinity for certain people. You love your whole family but you are simply drawn to certain members of it naturally. Who knows, it could end up being an actual biochemical thing. But I believe it's true. I know teachers that have had favorite kids in a classroom group, and I believe it's every bit as possible for parents to have favorites as well. But with good parents [and teachers] no one, including the child himself, can tell who the favorites are.

• Love 1

I agree. People can't help it if they prefer one child over another. I just think that Jen should try to hide her favortism of Zoey more. I think she makes it very obvious to Bill, Will, their families, and the entire viewing public. I don't think it's fair to Will.

If there are favorites here, then in my opinion, BOTH parents have them.

• Love 5

Maybe I need to go rewatch this season (and last?) because I really don't see overt favoritism from Jen.  And I certainly don't see ANY sign of her disliking or not loving Will. 

One thing to remember is that Jen took time off from work and was healthier when Will came home than she was when they brought Zoey home.  Adopting Zoey so soon after Will wasn't their preferred plan, it was a fluke that both children's paperwork came through that closely together.  I think Jen may be (total speculation on my part) worried that she wasn't there with Zoey during that first traumatic period of leaving India and that she couldn't be as physically close to her and active immediately like she could with Will.  There are so many articles and news stories/anecdotes about children adopted from foreign orphanages that don't bond with their adoptive parents early enough and it ends badly for everyone, and Jen is I'm sure aware of that.  Maybe she's overcompensating?  I don't think so, personally, but if people see her favoring Zoey, that could be part of it.

Also, remember these are fairly new parents.  Remember (if you have kids) bringing your first child home as a newborn, a healthy one hopefully, and how you fumbled your way through it?  And continued to flounder around until you were confident you had it all figured out, which was never?  Jen and Bill are going to make mistakes, no doubt, but I think those will be coming from a place of love rather than selfishness or a personality flaw.

• Love 12

I think she makes it very obvious to Bill, Will, their families, and the entire viewing public. I don't think it's fair to Will.

Right, because Bill is always having teas with Zoey and playing with dolls and if Will wasn't around, Zoey still would have gotten that car. We mostly see Bill allowing Zoey to sit on his back. Do we ever hear Bill talking about the things Zoey likes to do?

What's obvious to some isn't even apparent to others.

I think some of the division of labor between Bill and Jen comes from Jen's inability to physically handle Will and each parent's disinterest in activities that the other parent likes. It'll be interesting, as time goes on, to see what these kids are really interested in without the constant push from their parents. That's the one thing I see in Bill and Jen (and in other parents): the need to force their interests on their kids. But I guess it makes for bad TV to show the kids engaged in their favorite activity: eating snacks and watching TV.....;D

• Love 3

I don't see favoritism, but I do see a perhaps tendency to overt genderization.  Whether that's simply due to filming or not, I can't say.  I have a suspicion it's driven by producing episodes.  

• Love 3

It's obvious they don't need whatever TLC pays them

I don't really agree if we look at the before and after of just their house, never mind the cars and the clothes.  They have come a long way on TLC's money and endorsements/merchandise sold resulting from the show and their paid for personal appearances which resulted from the show and their fame.      

If I'm not mistaken didn't the show start right before Jen got the big job and a HUGE pay raise. They is also a big difference in the cost of living in Texas. I think Bill and Jen would have an upgrade in lifestyle with or without the show. If the show ended tomorrow I don't think their lifestyle would change. Jen makes serious coin and Bill does well enough to have employees

• Love 5

I agree. People can't help it if they prefer one child over another. I just think that Jen should try to hide her favortism of Zoey more. I think she makes it very obvious to Bill, Will, their families, and the entire viewing public. I don't think it's fair to Will.

As a member of the entire viewing public, I do not think it is very obvious; not in the least.

• Love 15

If I'm not mistaken didn't the show start right before Jen got the big job and a HUGE pay raise. They is also a big difference in the cost of living in Texas. I think Bill and Jen would have an upgrade in lifestyle with or without the show. If the show ended tomorrow I don't think their lifestyle would change. Jen makes serious coin and Bill does well enough to have employees

Yes they were introduced getting married in their first show.  The house they were living in was shown and was quite ordinary.  And having seen some housing shows on HGTV showing real estate in Texas I agree you can certainly get a lot more for your money there than pricey New York!  

I just don't think Jen's salary would have afforded them all their luxuries from that one change.  We have since seen a custom built house furnished by an interior decorator with expensive furnishings, in vitro fertilization treatments/trips, holidays, fine cars and trips halfway around the world to adopt children, all very costly.  If it was filmed I am sure the network paid for all expenses incurred for everyone and that also might include lost salary from another job.     

Both Jen and Bill are like a before and after makeover!  Highlights, Jen now wears makeup and both with designer glasses.  Jen hardly wore makeup in the early shows and in fact both were frumpy looking.   

I just don't think her new job escalated them to that level.  TLC gave them a boost into a lifestyle they will find it hard to walk away from.  

So was her comment about just wait until Zoey got there, but that's hardly stopped people from using it as proof that Jen doesn't love Will. 

I don't think love and favoritism are the same things.  Jen loves Will she just prefers Zoey and being with her.  Right now she can handle Zoey, she can't handle Will.

Another area where the division is evident is the godparent choices.  Zoey with the Arnolds and Will with the Kleins.     

• Love 1

I think they are wise to maximize their revenue streams because you never know what the next day brings. I am pretty sure that Jen's first choice would be to work part time and have more time with the kids. I think she even mentioned that after Will came home and they were looking forward to going to get Zoey.But situations change and we dont know when the TLC contract ends. I would bet that they have financial advisors helping them.  I am sure that Jen is still concerned that her cancer could return. Im sure Bill is worried that he could end up paralyzed. Im sure they want to have as much money in the bank as possible to provide for Will and Zoey.

• Love 4

zoey likes doing girlie things - will likes to do boy things. 

Jen really likes girlie things so she does a lot of things with Zoey. Bill likes boy things so he does a lot of boy things with Will.

The horror.

• Love 13

Is that really true that Zoey has Jen's last name and Will has Bill's? I dont believe everything i read on INTERNET if thats how we know that.  I wonder how that will affect Will and Zoey when they are older. Will they wonder why they do not have the same last names and if mommy or daddy liked the other one more to give him or her their name? I recall with Will's first surgery, his last name was Fang because the Kleins did not have all the paperwork done or something like that.

• Love 1

I wonder how she drives when she can't turn her neck, they must have special mirrors on their vehicles so she can make safe lane changes.  I notice when she is in the car with the kids behind her she uses the mirror to look at them or she sits in the seat beside them.

I wonder how she drives when she can't turn her neck, they must have special mirrors on their vehicles so she can make safe lane changes.  I notice when she is in the car with the kids behind her she uses the mirror to look at them or she sits in the seat beside them.

I wonder that as well, I remember when I had a pinched nerve in my neck and couldn't turn to the left without pain, I'm sure she has gotten accustomed to it over the years and just has to literally move her entire body. It makes me laugh because I think of my mom, when she looks to the right or left while driving she steers that way as well.

• Love 1

I wonder how much this gender separation is producer driven, being mostly around playtime. We have no idea what the children like to do on their "downtime." What we see are special events or trips. What do they do on a rainy afternoon after school? I hope their lives are not programmed like so many children are today, and they have time to explore their own interests.

Besides swimming, perhaps art, music, nature, or sports. Do they watch movies, and which type of movie does each child favor? There is so much we just don't see.

• Love 1

I am not sure if I posted this already, but on their facebook page you can submit a video question for them and it will possibly be used in a future episode. My question was picked, I am kinda excited!!! My question is how does Jen take Will and Zoey out by herself and how does she do it and if it's difficult. So look for me whenever they do a viewer question show, I'm Erika from Cincinnati!!! Also, there was talk about a website in which you can buy little couple paraphernalia. It is actually a link on their Facebook page and I didn't see any affiliation with the learning channel, just the little couple. With Bill being a business man I am sure he is capitalizing on all things little couple.

• Love 5

Right, because Bill is always having teas with Zoey and playing with dolls and if Will wasn't around, Zoey still would have gotten that car. We mostly see Bill allowing Zoey to sit on his back. Do we ever hear Bill talking about the things Zoey likes to do?

What's obvious to some isn't even apparent to others.

I think some of the division of labor between Bill and Jen comes from Jen's inability to physically handle Will and each parent's disinterest in activities that the other parent likes. It'll be interesting, as time goes on, to see what these kids are really interested in without the constant push from their parents. That's the one thing I see in Bill and Jen (and in other parents): the need to force their interests on their kids. But I guess it makes for bad TV to show the kids engaged in their favorite activity: eating snacks and watching TV.....;D

There could be some truth in this. I have gotten this vibe from both parents - that they both want to believe one of the kids shares a lot in common with them. Maybe it's a routine experience with adoptive parents. Biological parents can try to see who looks likes who in the family, comparing abilities between siblings at the same ages etc. Because adoptive parents can't do that, maybe they look for other ways to connect. It will be interesting to see for example, if Zoey becomes a tomboy and ends up doing more things will Bill and Will - or maybe Will take an artistic turn and craft or paint with Jen.

Edited by Wellfleet

It's not just gender related activities though. Pumpkin decorating is for both boys and girls, yet Jen decorated with Zoey and Bill decorated with Will. Both Will and Zoey like ponies, yet Jen took Zoey to see the pony and Bill stayed in the pumpkin patch with Will. As someone said above, Jen's family was chosen as Zoey's Godparents, Bill's family was chosen for Will. Zoey has Jen's last name, Will has Bill's last name. It appears to be a very clear pattern to me.

Yes it is and only Jen, the parent who works outside the home, is chided for spending more time with one child over the other. The pattern you're citing clearly depicts Bill not doing things with Zoey, not choosing HIS parents as Zoey's god parents, not giving Zoey HIS name.... But Bill is off the hook for the favoritism while Jen is chided for it.

• Love 9