Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/25/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 25 – Guest co-host Gretchen Carlson; Katie Couric (author, “Going There”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Oct. 26 – Guest co-host Gretchen Carlson; Ava DuVernay and Jaden Michael (“Colin in Black & White”)

Wednesday, Oct. 27 – Drew Barrymore and Chef Pilar Valdes (authors, “Rebel Homemaker”)

Thursday, Oct. 28 – Edie Falco (“Impeachment: American Crime Story” and play, “Morning Sun”)

Friday, Oct. 29 – The ladies are hitting a high note like never before when “The View” celebrates Halloween; for the first time in 30 years, Ricki Lake will appear as “Hairspray”’s Tracy Turnblad; Kermit and Miss Piggy (“Muppets Haunted Mansion”); kids costumes inspired by the latest Hot Topics.

• Love 6

I'm glad Rice was only on for one day, heh. Looking forward to Edie Falco.

The thing is I've never liked Couric, even before the book revelations, and not for political reasons like is the case for a great many people who have been after her for years. There was always just something about her, sort of like Kelly Ripa, that sort of rubs me wrong. *shrug* She always had a fake quality to me, IDK what it is. I do hope they pushback on her for sure, yet I don't think she's the worst person in the world either.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The thing is I've never liked Couric, even before the book revelations, and not for political reasons like is the case for a great many people who have been after her for years. There was always just something about her, sort of like Kelly Ripa, that sort of rubs me wrong. *shrug* She always had a fake quality to me, IDK what it is. I do hope they pushback on her for sure, yet I don't think she's the worst person in the world either.

My guess is that the perpetually perky, squeaky clean persona just seems so forced and fake. 

• Love 10

interesting there's no special guest on Friday...but tbh they are already running low on return hosts. 

Already have Star, Sherri, Lisa & Debbie. Meredith will come back im sure...could see Elizabeth and Jedediah maybe. Jenny, Abby, Meghan, and Rosie are imo definite no's just given the bad blood they still talk about. Especially Jenny she trashes the view whenever she gets a chance. Rosie Perez also seems like a no prob. Nicolle prob will. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

interesting there's no special guest on Friday...but tbh they are already running low on return hosts. 

Already have Star, Sherri, Lisa & Debbie. Meredith will come back im sure...could see Elizabeth and Jedediah maybe. Jenny, Abby, Meghan, and Rosie are imo definite no's just given the bad blood they still talk about. Especially Jenny she trashes the view whenever she gets a chance. Rosie Perez also seems like a no prob. Nicolle prob will. 

Jed is going to be the next guest on the Behind the Table podcast, so I bet she'll be the next Flashback Friday guest.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Jed is going to be the next guest on the Behind the Table podcast, so I bet she'll be the next Flashback Friday guest.

could be interesting..if you check her twitter timeline lately she is a hysterical anti vaxx mandate warrior

Edited by Buckeye71034

I think Gretchen is right that voters next fall are going to care more about inflation and shortages than what’s in the BBB bill, regardless of which party they identify with. I think what Sunny is disagreeing with is not what Gretchen’s point was. It seems like Sunny was primed to disagree with whatever Gretchen was going to say. I sense some antagonism there.  And now she’s kind of prickly with Katie. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Katie, I remember when you were “America’s Sweetheart.”  I do believe that ship has sailed.

I read an interview with her in People magazine and she speaks so highly of herself.  Says she has a high emotional intelligence.  I think she is clearly wrong about that.

• Love 12
Just now, geekburger said:

Telling Sunny “if you read the book” when said book is on the table with several parts earmarked and read out loud doesn’t really make the most sense.

I do have to say for people who thought Katie went after Palin too hard this must be a delicious piece of irony.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I'm glad the audience groaned over Joy's absence. I'm getting tired of them having her off when the conservative guest co-hosts are there. If you can't handle Joy, GTFO, you have no business being on in the first place because she's not going anywhere. And I imagine it would suck to pay for tickets to the show only to find out Joy isn't there.

When they mentioned that it used to be Katie Couric's studio, I tried to remember when The View moved studios? I think it was the year Rosie O'Donnell returned. Speaking of O'Donnell, I couldn't help being struck by the ladies going after Couric for being "territorial," as she described, and icing out what she viewed as female competitors when Whoopi did the same thing to O'Donnell and Paula Faris a few years ago when she convinced herself they must be out for her job. I believe it was Sunny asking the question though, but Whoopi nodding her head along made me roll my eyes.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, EverythingBagel said:

Katie's taking control of the conversation from the start and her long winded answers worked. 

So did her little trick of using reference with Whoopi when speaking of the network couple that was in her corner back in the day, "Whoopi, you probably remember them..." as Whoopi nods away with a smile.  A lot of guests do this with Whoopi and it works every time.  Stroke her ego for being an industry insider. I bet that move stops Whoopi from "going there" with people if she had any intention to.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Please tell me someone asked Katie to defend her defense of the sexual predator Matt Lauer!

I don't think they asked about her defense of him directly although they did discuss Lauer. She did sound as if she was trying to defend herself for that in a roundabout way though.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

They really didn’t need Gretchen Carlson there.  Other than Sunny being ready to jump down her throat, she didn’t really add anything.

Least she got her shill out in the first five mins to plug a new bipartisan organization.  And you're right, nothing after that.  Total blahness 

59 minutes ago, EverythingBagel said:

Katie's taking control of the conversation from the start and her long winded answers worked.  Sunny didn't get a chance to ask her about Ashleigh Banfield.  

Well Sunny did ask about Ashleigh and Norville.  She answered Norville but then had to go to comm and never got back to them Ashleigh.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:15 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm glad Rice was only on for one day, heh. Looking forward to Edie Falco.

Oh wow that's funny what you said about KR.  On Fridays View the OG secret was Debbie Matanopolis secret ghost.  Spelling, i know blah.  Anyway imho she was Ripa thru and thru.  Complimentary to all parties. 

6 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Well Sunny did ask about Ashleigh and Norville.  She answered Norville but then had to go to comm and never got back to them Ashleigh.

I must have missed the part where Sunny asked about Ashleigh, I'm glad to hear she tried though.  I did catch the Norville part.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, geekburger said:

If Joy decides to retire, Gretchen would be the perfect replacement.

I’d say make her the mod but Whoopi signed that new contract so.

I have kind of a soft spot for Gretchen, we Clevelanders knew her when. She was half of one of the first news anchor teams where both anchors were women at WOIO-19 (CBS).

• Love 1

When Katie was talking about Matt Lauer she said she didn't really notice anything going on because she had two little girls and a dying husband.  Her first husband died in 1996.  When the allegations against Lauer became public the earliest instance of any sort of sexual misconduct was 2000.   The more recent allegations were alleged to have happened in 2014 long after Katie had left NBC.  Makes me think Katie was aware of things that happened earlier than has been reported.  

And am I the only person who thinks Sara looked uncomfortable when talking that time period at the Today show?

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

When Katie was talking about Matt Lauer she said she didn't really notice anything going on because she had two little girls and a dying husband.  Her first husband died in 1996.  When the allegations against Lauer became public the earliest instance of any sort of sexual misconduct was 2000.   The more recent allegations were alleged to have happened in 2014 long after Katie had left NBC.  Makes me think Katie was aware of things that happened earlier than has been reported.  

And am I the only person who thinks Sara looked uncomfortable when talking that time period at the Today show?

I, too, thought Sara looked uncomfortable when Katie kept mentioning her as having worked at TODAY show & that things were fine.  Sara was an Intern/Assistant to Hoda & KLG, so I dont know how much 'inside scoop" Sara would have had.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I, too, thought Sara looked uncomfortable when Katie kept mentioning her as having worked at TODAY show & that things were fine.  Sara was an Intern/Assistant to Hoda & KLG, so I dont know how much 'inside scoop" Sara would have had.

In 2002 Sara started working at the Today show as a production coordinator.  That would have been a couple years after one of Lauer's accusers says she was a victim of sexual harassment.  

Katie said she is very self aware.  I'm going to disagree with her about that.  I haven't read her book yet but I do plan to.  She kept saying she is being honest and wanted people to know how she felt about things.  You can write a book and be honest without writing things that will hurt people.  Katie is either lying or being the opposite of self aware when she says she is surprised by the reaction to the book.  

• Love 10

Katie was lying by omission or diversion on several topics. Like avoiding discussion of Ashley Banfield (who was beloved on my local Canadian TV channel in 1992-5 and was the smart and beautiful without even trying girl-next-door); do you keep in touch with Matt - "no", though that wasn't true when she was defending him; and the aforementioned being "busy with kids and sick husband" several years before Matt was accused of harassing women.  Katie was competing with Deborah & Ashley even though they weren't competing with her. They had brains and confidence, Katie just had perky & cutesy. Katie wanted to present herself in a good light on both sides of the RBG/Kaepernick story. "Protecting" RGB when she was alive and "being honest" after her death to sell more books.

Sara did look uncomfortable with Katie talking about their joint time at Today.  Sara probably did see/hear stuff & knew Katie did too, despite Katie's claims to the contrary.  Katie probably treated Sara and all interns/assistants like gum on her shoe. Though I suspect that younger women did not come to competitive Katie for advice about horny old bosses since Katie seemed to enjoy the male attention.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 13

Sunny was fine to disagree with Gretchen's point but accusing her of being a republican was a weird shot. she could have argued the point without making it a little more personal yes most independents do leaning republican or democrat but it is still a large electoral block whether you like it or not. and yes some independents who occasionally vote Dem are fiscally conservative, they aren't all secret republicans. just found that interaction weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
18 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I don't remember what year  Katie was with her toy boy but I imagine she would have gone mute about Matt in case anyone asked about her lust for a younger man...too harsh???  Perhaps Sara was thinking of previous conversations the staff had before this interview and wondering how it would play out.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

Katie was with her toy boy but I imagine she would have gone mute about Matt in case anyone asked about her lust for a younger man...too harsh???

I don't know why.  Sexual harrassment and dating someone younger than you are two totally different things.  Not even close.  Not even on the same planet.

• Love 23

When I saw Gretchen's name as upcoming guest cohost I groaned, but she’s changing my mind. She hasn’t said much (tough to get a word in edgewise) but when she does speak I find myself agreeing with her.*

*Let’s see how she handles the Kaepernic discussion.  Oh, she was pulled from the interview. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I feel like Gretchen Carlson hasn't added anything to the show either day, even when Joy was off. Which means, if they're hoping having Joy off will help the try-outs find their footing or whatever, so far the mission has failed. It's a shame, because Carlson's probably the nicest and most genuine of the guest co-hosts. I'd much rather have had someone like her than most of the others who've tried out.

Sunny looked very nice today, imo. I don't really care how the women look either way, but I read so many negative comments about how Sunny looks that I thought I should compliment her when it applies. For me, less is more. The black she was wearing made her lipstick and earrings pop, and her hair looked really pretty, too.

• Love 8

I am not a Facebook apologist, but I think that many people, including the hosts on the View have little idea how difficult it is to go through all the content on a site like Facebook. Automation is a big help, but there are limitations to that as well, because even the best algorithms miss nuanced or deliberately obfuscated material. Consider that FB is used globally, so any content management has to deal with multiple languages (and the cultural norms related to them). 

Also, you may be able to get people (users, the public) to agree on the worst type of content that should be tagged or blocked, but there is a lot of content being put out constantly which may be disputed as to whether it contains incorrect or misleading information vs. just alternative perspectives. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sunny looked very nice today, imo. I don't really care how the women look either way, but I read so many negative comments about how Sunny looks that I thought I should compliment her when it applies. For me, less is more. The black she was wearing made her lipstick and earrings pop, and her hair looked really pretty, too.

I didn't realize Sunny got so many negative comments about her looks. She's really pretty period, and she's usually styled nicely too. 

• Love 12

I thought Carlson was fine and I did agree with her on the Facebook thing…that it’s one reason we don’t share the same reality.  So true…so much bad info out there on Facebook that’s created lots of info.  But sunnys right that it’s a very thin line here. Getting rid of bot type entries is one thing.  Monitoring actual people is another issue. So something needs to be done but it’s not as simple as some think.  Zuckerberg is a problem as well with an enormous amount of power.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2