Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: A.C.H.

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

A week off 'til this episode airs, which will be on October 31, 2021, a.k.a. Halloween, complete with an appropriately-themed description:

When a new designer drug hits LA streets, it turns users into “zombies,” and Officer Nolan and the team have a Halloween they won’t soon forget. Back at home, Lucy questions whether her apartment building might be haunted.

I was thinking about the heavy turnover on this show and I am now driving myself nuts because I could have sworn someone shared a bit here that the original Captain was written out of the show by her own request (as she was dealing postpartum depression), but that wasn't revealed at the time, so Hawley was actually being a good guy by acting like it was his idea to write her off so early but it wasn't, but I can't find that quote anywhere. It is makin me go batty - anyone recall something like that?

Edited by Brian Cronin
5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I was thinking about the heavy turnover on this show and I am now driving myself nuts because I could have sworn someone shared a bit here that the original Captain was written out of the show by her own request (as she was dealing postpartum depression), but that wasn't revealed at the time, so Hawley was actually being a good guy by acting like it was his idea to write her off so early but it wasn't, but I can't find that quote anywhere. It is makin me go batty - anyone recall something like that?

Yes, Mercedes posted about her severe postpartum depression on her IG account quite a while after she left the show. I suspect it was her choice not to reveal her issues publicly at the time, so Hawley was following her wishes. He did talk about why they killed off her character after that episode but I can't remember the exact reason he gave. But even though Mercedes asked to leave, it was up to Hawley etc. to decide how and why her character left the show.  

If I had to guess, that interview with Hawley was TVLine or GiveMeMyRemote in a post episode interview.

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 2

A little of Pete Davidson goes a long way...  At least we were spared Nolan and Bailey trading war stories.

So Nyla drunk slept with her ex, sure that won't come back and bite either of them in the rear (eye roll).

Wonder how dude who went over the balcony is going to feel after he comes down.

Enjoyed Chen taking the stalker down but not interested in her mommy drama.

• Love 5

I normally like López, but that bullshit about her with "I believe in ghosts," when the truth was that there was a stalker/rapist living in the drywall watching the women. 🙄

The building's problem wasn't a ghost.

For some reason that bugged me within the context of what was actually happening.

I know it's a TV show, but a lot of the writing is really clunky.

Yeah, that guy would 100% be paralyzed IRL.

Between this week’s Star Wars clothes and all of Home Economics going as The Avengers, Disney is really cashing in on using Halloween episodes just as an excuse to flog their IPs.

I would be totally okay if the initial Pete episode had been a one-and-done.  But, I dunno, maybe he’s like super charismatic in real life (because he sure as heck isn’t on-screen) and that’s why he has Lorne Michaels, the producers of this show and dozens of beautiful women fawning all over him?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Solid episode. This is the kind of episode that should be doing more of not Russian spy nonsense. 

Pete is hilarious. Nolan and him are comedy gold. They play off each other perfectly. 

I don’t like cheating but it’s obvious Don and Harper are eventually going to get back together. I guess they are slow-burning it. They do have chemistry.

All the Halloween costumes were adorable. Pity that they couldn’t find a way to put Nolan and Bradford in costume. Or Pete for that matter. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 1

I don't remember Lopez and Lucy being so chummy, but then I remembered that if Lopez was there to interview the old lady (liked her, we aren't stupid!) then I guess it made sense she'd stop by Lucy's place also.  Not a bad episode, but I agree, a little Pete Davidson goes a long way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BookThief said:

It was a Bones reunion!  (the older neighbor and the one ghost buster guy)! Definitely a slightly dopey episode at times, but I guess they did tell us A.C.H.

OK! YES! Something was tickling my brain during that scene, some sense of familiarity, and I just couldn't place it. That was exactly it!

22 minutes ago, auntiemel said:

OK! YES! Something was tickling my brain during that scene, some sense of familiarity, and I just couldn't place it. That was exactly it!

3 hours ago, BookThief said:

It was a Bones reunion!  (the older neighbor and the one ghost buster guy)! Definitely a slightly dopey episode at times, but I guess they did tell us A.C.H.

Yep. Loved it and got it right away.  Then I started to run through other stars, creators etc to see if it was intentional or just happenstance. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Yes, Mercedes posted about her severe postpartum depression on her IG account quite a while after she left the show. I suspect it was her choice not to reveal her issues publicly at the time, so Hawley was following her wishes. He did talk about why they killed off her character after that episode but I can't remember the exact reason he gave. But even though Mercedes asked to leave, it was up to Hawley etc. to decide how and why her character left the show.  

If I had to guess, that interview with Hawley was TVLine or GiveMeMyRemote in a post episode interview.

Thanks so much! Phew, so I wasn't crazy (well, about this topic, at least)! I'll go search through her Instagram, thanks! At the time, Hawley said it was simply a creative decision (you know, show that any cop could theoretically die at any moment), but as it turns out, he was covering for the fact that she asked to be written off. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

But, I dunno, maybe he’s like super charismatic in real life (because he sure as heck isn’t on-screen) and that’s why he has Lorne Michaels, the producers of this show and dozens of beautiful women fawning all over him?

I have also struggled to understand why Pete Davidson is on TV and in movies and dating A-list celebs.  It isn't like he's acting or anything, every role he's in is basically just "Pete Davidson."   But he's continually getting roles and I really don't get it.  He's got to be just an amazing person in person, but for now all I can assume is "what you see is what you get" which is....ew.  Maybe he exudes some sort of irresistible pheromones?

I actually kind of liked that the ghost wasn't really a ghost.  It was something much creepier, in fact.  I'll bet the writers saw that viral story about the woman in NYC who found a whole other abandoned apartment behind her apartment wall, and thought "this would make a great Halloween episode!"  Only in the viral story there wasn't a creeper peeping and stalking residents.

Oh!  And Titus Makin Jr. (Officer West) was on NCIS: Hawaii last night as a submariner with a missing bride. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I have also struggled to understand why Pete Davidson is on TV and in movies and dating A-list celebs.  It isn't like he's acting or anything, every role he's in is basically just "Pete Davidson."   But he's continually getting roles and I really don't get it.  He's got to be just an amazing person in person, but for now all I can assume is "what you see is what you get" which is....ew.  Maybe he exudes some sort of irresistible pheromones?

I actually kind of liked that the ghost wasn't really a ghost.  It was something much creepier, in fact.  I'll bet the writers saw that viral story about the woman in NYC who found a whole other abandoned apartment behind her apartment wall, and thought "this would make a great Halloween episode!"  Only in the viral story there wasn't a creeper peeping and stalking residents.

Oh!  And Titus Makin Jr. (Officer West) was on NCIS: Hawaii last night as a submariner with a missing bride. 

I find it so interesting that Titus was very very active on Instagram, particularly promoting his music. Then suddenly nothing, crickets for months now. 

I kept wondering how the homeless guy was getting in Lucy’s apartment since the hole in the wall was covered by a heavy mirror and you would have to push out the mirror to get in, which would cause it to break or at least crack. Pete Davidson always just plays himself so his scenes look like a SNL skit. 

• Love 4

So the mirror was there when Lucy & Jackson moved in and they just left it?

Not a bad episode, much better than some.  I totally agree that a little Pete Davidson goes a loooooooooong way - I was actually bummed when they cast him originally.  I don't know why he's so popular, but I wonder if a little is because his father was a firefighter who died 9/11.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, madmax said:

I wonder if a little is because his father was a firefighter who died 9/11.

I think of lot of Pete's popularity stems from how he lost his father.

I'm trying to imagine if he would have come as far as he has if his father had never died. 

Isn't Pete the one who said losing his father this way propelled him toward a comedy career, to deal with his grief?

Edited by Surrealist

I didn't know that about his father, or maybe I did but just forgot about it because I find the guy pretty annoying.  Kinda makes me wonder if that affects him while he's playing a character and a lot of the dialogue has to do with his (the character's) father.  That's the basis is his and John's relationship, their common father.  Sure, professional actors can put that aside, compartmentalize, or even draw upon it, but I'm not sure if I rate Pete Davidson a professional actor quite yet.  I see SNL as something of a stepping stone between comedy/improv and "real" acting.  Don't get me wrong; sure they're acting, but there's a difference between a five-minute comedy sketch and a television drama or feature film.  Anyway, that just occurred to me.  I didn't find him quite as annoying this time.  Maybe because he was actually useful, knowing his way around the druggie app and helping out with the zombie-drug case.  He even got paid for it, so win-win.

Yeah, the draft in the bathroom (which Lucy actually mentioned when Angela was talking about how that other lady's bathroom always felt cold) led to discovering that the mirror covers a huge hole in the wall, but that doesn't explain how the creeper was able to get in and steal their blueberries.  How would you remove that mirror from the other side without it crashing to the floor?  I thought that when they went into the passage behind the walls, they would find hidden ways to get in and out of the apartments.  Instead they found "peepholes" which were laughable because they're so huge.  No one noticed the two-inch holes in their walls?

• Love 6
On 11/1/2021 at 6:38 AM, paigow said:

Bomb-X must be derived from the Winter Soldier formula.... dude fell off a balcony and should have a broken spine...

It looked like he fell onto some kind of cushion, not the seats.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, milkyaqua said:

So Nyla drunk slept with her ex, sure that won't come back and bite either of them in the rear (eye roll).

I'm sure that the ex's fiance won't mind at all that he slept with his ex-wife (if he tells her -- if he doesn't it will be even worse!)

On 11/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, Surrealist said:

I normally like López, but that bullshit about her with "I believe in ghosts," when the truth was that there was a stalker/rapist living in the drywall watching the women. 🙄

The building's problem wasn't a ghost.

For some reason that bugged me within the context of what was actually happening.

I know it's a TV show, but a lot of the writing is really clunky.

Lopez was saying that she believes in the supernatural, like possession, so believing in ghosts, even though this one wasn't, fits with that.

I'm not sure why Pete Davidson is in this show, and I just don't want to know. Ugh.

Tim Bradford is a god amongst men.

Nyla and her ex sleeping together is not weird! He basically cheated on his to be fiancée, and Nyla suggested he'd propose to her anyway! Nyla cheated on he bf, and it's fine! It's all completely not dysfunctional and A ok! Although I have to admit, Mekia Cox and Enver Gjokaj have the best chemistry out of all romantic pairings on this show.

• Love 2