Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Red Hot

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing October 17, 2021:

Officer Nolan and Officer Chen search for a missing person who may have international ties that puts everyone’s lives in danger. Meanwhile, Harper continues the search for a serial arsonist after responding to a report of an injured cyclist, and Wesley must overcome an impossible task.

25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wesley is dumber.

Very true, but he wasn't the one who basically uttered "I've never seen anything like this before. The writing is Cyrillic, but let me press this button anyway." 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

The dumbest people are on the evidence team... If you dust an entire SUV exterior for prints, why not search the interior [ and look for prints in the backseat] rivalled only by whoever is running security on the impound area... 

• Love 8

This episode felt like the Nolan and Bailey show. So much screen time for a new character and barely any for the existing characters. I get we are supposed to root for them. I just don’t care.  

Also why is that Nolan is the one to run for union rep? There are so many other characters who would be better suited. He already has too many storylines already - the relationship with Bailey, becoming a TO, the serial killer case. Why add another one? 

I continue to like Aaron. The actor is very good. 

• Love 7

At this point I wonder why the CIA guy didn't recruit Nolan who is one shaken martini away from being the next Jame Bond (or at least a tad dumber version of him). He can solve any crime, he is loyal, he has already completed a mission in a foreign country, hey, he even has a Bond girl ready! 

I would love to watch a spin off with Nyla and her rookies (one rookie each season). She and Aaron are the only ones watchable in this season.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, paigow said:

Nolan running for union rep might be how he gets written off the show... Smitty kills him

Actually, Smitty as the serial killer makes sense to me.
But then Nolan will take him down, so there goes your hopes of Nolan being written out.

• LOL 7
58 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

This episode felt like the Nolan and Bailey show. So much screen time for a new character and barely any for the existing characters. I get we are supposed to root for them. I just don’t care.  

Also why is that Nolan is the one to run for union rep? There are so many other characters who would be better suited. He already has too many storylines already - the relationship with Bailey, becoming a TO, the serial killer case. Why add another one? 

I'm intrigued by Aaron too. And Harper.

I'm sure I asked this last week, but is Nolan supposed to be discussing active cases with Bailey (who, apparently, has a side gig as a ninja)? She's not a fellow cop.

It's jarring. I feel like he shouldn't be doing that, but I've never been a cop, so maybe I'm in the wrong.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 9

I thought for sure Lopez would be the one to run as union rep since they were making such a big deal about her needs for milk pumping. I figured she’d get elected to the position and then it would all go sour when it’s revealed her husband is league with the bad guy. Nope, just more Nolan propping. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Surrealist said:

I'm intrigued by Aaron too. And Harper.

I'm sure I asked this last week, but is Nolan supposed to be discussing open cases with Bailey (who, apparently, has a side gig as a ninja)? She's not a fellow cop.

It's jarring. I feel like he shouldn't be doing that, but I've never been a cop, so maybe I'm in the wrong.

Generally cops sharing case info with SOs doesn’t end well (e.g., the last season of The Closer).  
So throughout this episode I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. 
Plus, Nolan is like the Bonanza Cartwright “boys,” in that no love interest sticks.  
So if this one isn’t a spy, I’m guessing they’ll off her   
—unless they’re going for the late-in-the-series-ratings booster of a baby in the Nolan household. Maybe Diaz/Lopez served as a test run of that ol’ Bewitched plot device. 
And Nolan cute hijinx with a baby is something Fillion could pull off. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

The only one who didn't get a lot of screen time was Bradford, and that's fine with me. This little game they're playing with Lucy & Tim is annoying and childish. So Lucy insults Tim, her boss, now and Tim just looks at her with googoo eyes? Please!

Nolan doesn't want to be the union rep, no one does. It's a shit job. He tried to convince Harper to do it. But he knows Smitty is an idiot and they deserve a better rep. Lopez convinced him to do it.

And I also enjoyed the Lucy/Aaron interaction. 

• Love 5

I love Lucy and Aaron’s budding friendship, hope the writers won’t screw this up. Am beginning to like this new rookie.

Can we get rid off this Bailey chick already? Nolan spilling every details of on-going case(s) to her makes him look stupid and lack of self-awareness.

Really not interested in the breast milk and union rep debacles, plain stupid plot lines.

I like the actress who played Katerina (Kathryn Prescott). It will be more interesting to develop/extend this Russian spy story into next episode rather than the killer/arsonist story.

And ohh, why is this CIA guy dressing like Thomas Magnum? 😱

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

😁😂🤣😆 Reggie Lee (remembering him from Grimm etc.) is just wearing “plain clothes” for LA. It’s not like the show is set in NYC or Vancouver. 

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, paigow said:

The dumbest people are on the evidence team... If you dust an entire SUV exterior for prints, why not search the interior [ and look for prints in the backseat] rivalled only by whoever is running security on the impound area... 

Nolan said it hadn't been processed yet.  The trio just checked for her print outside to identify her.  But Bailey touching the bullet holes without gloves?  Stupid.

Yeah, I'm not liking the Nolan/Bailey thing.  And she's like a super ninja?  Please.

The new rookie is good and I like the friendship with Chen.

Again, Wesley, just tell Lopez what's going on.  Be a double agent.  don't make this stupid.  Oh, too late...

• Love 7

I think the Nolan character is given so much screen time because it's basically "his" show.

The writing is terrible this season.  I work for a police agency and nobody can just walk into an area where cars are held for evidence processing.  Here you have the Russian woman and the CIA or FBI or whoever they were - just waltz right in like it's an open lot.

There was no reason to write in the death of the guy in jail.  He was TOTALLY loyal to the bad guy and so afraid of him that I don't think there would have been some "word on the street that he's gettin' squirrelly".  Crazy.  I guess they wanted to give Wesley a part where he could act totally chagrined at the news.

And like someone posted above, a police officer doesn't even talk about open cases with anyone outside the agency.  If they do, it's in very general terms.  They know that information leaked can compromise a case.  

I guess I have to watch this as "fictional entertainment" only, because trying to make the square pegs fit into the round holes just isn't working for me.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

The only one who didn't get a lot of screen time was Bradford

I've seen the info that Eric Winter had back injury during the filming of this episode, so his presence was cut.

49 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

There was no reason to write in the death of the guy in jail.

Technically, the original murder case [dead guy in SUV] remains open... So Lopez will get the case, start investigating and Wesley dies...

• Useful 1

More Aaron.  Less Bailey.

I could not place the CIA guy, but I know I know him.  Then I remembered him as the supervising DA on All Rise.  He was great.  I have to say.....I was skeptical of the CIA/FBI rolling up and taking over.  Nobody showed any ID, except for the FBI guy, casually flapping it toward the window at a distance.  I expected someone to call bullshit, then watch the "CIA/FBI" either bug out, or draw down. 

I did love the Russian spy safe house scene.  Not the best idea, but Nolan did crack me up with his random button pushing and them all dealing with the consequences.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

The writing is terrible this season.  I work for a police agency and nobody can just walk into an area where cars are held for evidence processing.  Here you have the Russian woman and the CIA or FBI or whoever they were - just waltz right in like it's an open lot.

It's especially stupid because they made a point of Bailey saying how much security they had to go through to get to the bunch of old cars.

What happened to the USB drive?  Nolan threw it toward the spy, and I thought she caught it, but then the fight started and it was never brought up again.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Nolan couldn't be dumber than the Daniel Craig version of Bond. That's physically impossible.

Aww, I love Daniel Craig, lol.  But yeah, he's done some dumb things usually involving women.

Why would Bailey even be allowed into the garage?  And yes, now she's been in the military and can fight like a ninja, jeesh.  I did like seeing Reggie Lee but the whole, we just all rolled up on a Russian safe house and spies is ridiculous.  Also what sort of spies can't keep a prisoner in custody?  And yes, Nolan pressing buttons at random in a house he was unfamiliar with and buttons he couldn't read was just beyond stupid.  He's lucky he didn't poison/kill them all.

I'm liking Harper and Aaron.  Even Lucy and Aaron (anything that makes her less annoying).

I understand this is Nathan's show but yes, him being in ALL the major plot points is totally stretching things.  Somebody else could run for rep.  Is Nolan planning on having a debate with Smitty because that would be gold just to see all the ways Smitty would find ways to get out of it.

Wesley is an idiot.  Unless the bad guy has found some way to bug his person, why can't he tell Lopez?  Either way, this isn't going to end well with him.  Also as far as bad guys go, this one isn't even interesting.

You just know Nolan and possibly Bailey will solve the serial killer case...

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, izabella said:

It's especially stupid because they made a point of Bailey saying how much security they had to go through to get to the bunch of old cars.

What happened to the USB drive?  Nolan threw it toward the spy, and I thought she caught it, but then the fight started and it was never brought up again.

Maybe the writing is terrible this season because, like everything else in this country now, it’s more about the race/gender/color/sexual orientation diversity on the writing staff than it is about a writer’s talent. 

And i guess I’m in the minority opinion, I like Bailey. I like that she was honest with Nolan about her relationship issues. She’s very skilled in several things but she doesn’t flaunt it. And unlike many, I think they do have chemistry. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

And yes, Nolan pressing buttons at random in a house he was unfamiliar with and buttons he couldn't read was just beyond stupid.  He's lucky he didn't poison/kill them all.

Nolan is rapidly becoming the Maxwell Smart of the LAPD. They should just go over the top with it and make it a comedy.

IRL Nyla would be dead from smoke inhalation. I hope they're not still going there.

29 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Maybe the writing is terrible this season because, like everything else in this country now, it’s more about the race/gender/color/sexual orientation diversity on the writing staff than it is about a writer’s talent. 

And i guess I’m in the minority opinion, I like Bailey. I like that she was honest with Nolan about her relationship issues. She’s very skilled in several things but she doesn’t flaunt it. And unlike many, I think they do have chemistry. 

I don’t think people have a problem with Bailey as a character. Many have said they would love to see more of her as a firefighter. I think most just don’t like the chemistry with Nolan. She is not suiting Nolan romantically. None of his romantic relationships have “popped”. I think they are trying too hard for Nolan to be the ultimate leading/romantic hero and it’s not working imo. I think it would be better if he is part of an ensemble rather than him being the hero all the day. But it will never happen especially since Nathan is the producer and he signed up for this show as the lead. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Aww, I love Daniel Craig, lol.  But yeah, he's done some dumb things usually involving women.

Why would Bailey even be allowed into the garage?  And yes, now she's been in the military and can fight like a ninja, jeesh.  I did like seeing Reggie Lee but the whole, we just all rolled up on a Russian safe house and spies is ridiculous.  Also what sort of spies can't keep a prisoner in custody?  And yes, Nolan pressing buttons at random in a house he was unfamiliar with and buttons he couldn't read was just beyond stupid.  He's lucky he didn't poison/kill them all.

I'm liking Harper and Aaron.  Even Lucy and Aaron (anything that makes her less annoying).

I understand this is Nathan's show but yes, him being in ALL the major plot points is totally stretching things.  Somebody else could run for rep.  Is Nolan planning on having a debate with Smitty because that would be gold just to see all the ways Smitty would find ways to get out of it.

Wesley is an idiot.  Unless the bad guy has found some way to bug his person, why can't he tell Lopez?  Either way, this isn't going to end well with him.  Also as far as bad guys go, this one isn't even interesting.

You just know Nolan and possibly Bailey will solve the serial killer case...

Yup that’s what I said too. He has 4 plot-lines running. 

1) Relationship with Bailey 2)P2 partner with Chen and now riding solo (more chance for him to be hero) 3) Serial killer case 4) running for union rep. 

it’s getting too much. Somebody else could have run for it.

3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I work for a police agency and nobody can just walk into an area where cars are held for evidence processing. 

And like someone posted above, a police officer doesn't even talk about open cases with anyone outside the agency.  If they do, it's in very general terms.  They know that information leaked can compromise a case.  

Thank you. I didn't think cops were supposed to discuss open cases. Not to mention Nolan still doesn't know Bailey well.

I get that this show is centered around Nolan, but the way he's written makes him seem like a bumbling idiot. I find him irritating more than compelling.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Zaffy said:

She and Aaron are the only ones watchable in this season.

Who is Aaron again?

8 hours ago, devilhalo said:

Also why is that Nolan is the one to run for union rep?

Really? because it's his show! I must admit they could have given the role to another cop and added some related comedic dialogue now and again, but if anyone is going to be accidentally launched into orbit in this show, it's going to be Nolan.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nolan is like the Bonanza Cartwright “boys,” ... that ol’ Bewitched plot device.

How old are you?!?? Probably almost my age! :-)

6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

That guy was annoying AF. I dunno which looked stranger, the clothes or the hair!

4 hours ago, madmax said:

Again, Wesley, just tell Lopez what's going on.  Be a double agent.  don't make this stupid.  Oh, too late...

Yup. Wesley is very stupid. He goes to loyal sniper-dude and essentially admits that he wants to double-cross bad-guy? Lucky the sniper got killed in prison, or it could have come back to bite him!

1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

Bye! It's been nice knowing you!

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

IRL Nyla would be dead from smoke inhalation.

Not necessarily. I survived in a burning building much longer than she did on screen.

I am one of the few (apparently) who like Bailey. I don't think she looks at all too young for Nolan. She and he share at least a little chemistry, her character exhibits some skills without her presenting as unrealistically capable know-it-all, and I'm quite happy for her to remain in her role as Nolan's GF.

The only good that can come out of Nolan running for Union Rep is the opportunity for comedy when Smitty heats up his campaign. But that would suppose the writers have it in them to craft the script to suit. Which is doubtful, given what we've seen so far.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

How old are you?!?? Probably almost my age! :-)

Older. Don't even think about it sonny.

1 hour ago, Netfoot said:
9 hours ago, Zaffy said:

She and Aaron are the only ones watchable in this season.

Who is Aaron again?

Shawn Ashmore plays Wesley. Aaron Ashmore is his twin brother who is not on the show. So either OP was (understandably) confused or kidding or sleep-typing.

Any chance that Bad Guy is a double agent? Too late for that, I guess.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Older. Don't even think about it sonny.

I surrender!

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Shawn Ashmore plays Wesley. Aaron Ashmore is his twin brother who is not on the show. So either OP was (understandably) confused or kidding or sleep-typing.

On checking, I believe Aaron is the proper name for NeuJackson.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

It was nice seeing Kathryn Prescott (Russian spy) but also sad after her accident (she was run over by a cement truck). I hope she is doing well. 

is the hit and run part of the arson case?  Did I miss the resolution of that case?

16 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

On checking, I believe Aaron is the proper name for NeuJackson.

Oh. Right: "Tru Valentino as Aaron Thorsen"
Not only does the actor have a cool name, but he has a great voice, so he can stay.
I get very annoyed with hot young actors who can't enunciate.

14 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

is the hit and run part of the arson case?  Did I miss the resolution of that case?

I'm pretty sure that's part of the serial killer arc.
I hate serial killer arcs. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, paigow said:

Harper (and the audience) saw the killer running away. Too tall for Bailey. Too much effort for Smitty.

Once again Bailey's height was a problem on the show. ;)

But in all seriousness, I think that scene was so brief it could still be Bailey (it's probably not, of course). 

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Could Bailey actually BE the serial killer? That'd be a heck of a twist, right?

Okay, I was just about to ask this - since I was getting some pretty decent "Nolan's girlfriend is the serial killer" vibes this episode. At least that'd be a good way to get her off the show. She got close to Nolan so he wouldn't investigate her - and firefighters are more likely to commit arson

• Love 4

On 9-1-1, the cops and the firefighters have been written as *deeply* intertwined from the start.  That has not been the case on this show and yet we have Nolan letting Bailey into the garage (with the characters even remarking on how much they had to bypass security) despite the fact that she shouldn’t be there and Nolan discussing intimate details of open cases despite the fact that he really shouldn’t and Nolan’s been called out for violating protocol literally dozens of times.  She’s nice enough and she’s cute enough but is she worth risking your job for?  
But ultimately, the most annoying thing is that they’re writing her as the female Nolan - he can just be a cop he has to be The Best Union Rep Running!  Bailey can’t just be a firefighter, she has to be the best firefighter ever!  And an legendary Army Sergeant!  And an amazing Ninja!

That’s not the same thing as actual chemistry or an actual character.  Aaron is WAY more three-dimensional and has half the screentime.

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, Boofish said:

That girlfriend is the serial arsonist/killer.

The minute she showed up at his door and just kind of made herself comfortable triggered my Spidey senses.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Boofish said:

That girlfriend is the serial arsonist/killer.

I guess if that’s the case, it makes sense as to why Nolan would be a part of the serial killer case. Because being a part of the case pushes him more towards the detective side not TO. 

9 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

I guess if that’s the case, it makes sense as to why Nolan would be a part of the serial killer case. Because being a part of the case pushes him more towards the detective side not TO. 

if that's the case it only proves that Nolan is the center of the universe!
Nah, he is the center of the universe anyway! 😁

• LOL 1

The Russians spy operation is so covert, the spies use a localized Russian security control panel in their house, and also yell random Russian words at each other while shooting at the police in the middle of the day. That's how usually all intelligence organizations work, yep.

scale_1200.jpeg.b6be00b38490cbb9e58f2c682984aa02.jpeg

Nolan and the Manic Pixie Firefighter Military Lady are actually cute together, even if she's a potential serial arsonist.

Lucy is annoying. I think she's more annoying to me now than Smitty, and that's saying something. On the other hand, I get that she's trying to bond with Aaron as a defense mechanism after losing Jackson. And I like that Aaron is completely different character, and that he kinda gives her a cold shoulder (so far). 

Bradford, Nyla, Aaron and the Sargent are the best.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Except Nyla called in a “white male,” so if Bailey is the serial killer arsonist, she needs to have a male accomplice. 

Are they really going to do a whole serial killer storyline with any random guy being the killer? It has to be someone we know. It can be Bailey or even Aaron. I hope it’s not Aaron because I like him. A lot of serial killers have accomplices who do their bidding. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

That's how usually all intelligence organizations work, yep.

I'll be honest, All the info I've heard about the "intelligence community" IRL, leads me to believe that this IS how they usually work...

• LOL 2