Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Times Like These

preeya
  • Start Topic

Tension escalates between Frank and Mayor Chase after Frank makes a public arrest that goes viral. Also, Danny and Baez investigate a gang attack that takes an unexpected turn; Jamie worries when Eddie lies to him about where she's going in the evenings; and Anthony secretly recruits the Reagans for help with a surprise for Erin.

I understand the cyclical nature of American fashion. I realize 80s styles and trends were due for a comeback. I still can't believe pussy bows are back in fashion. Erin wore at least three of them in this episode. 

What do you make of Anthony's comment that people in the police department and other offices are speculating that Jamie will eventually become Police Commissioner? Is it true or was Anthony just giving Jamie a line to butter him up? 

Jamie and Eddie's storyline was stupid. It was drama for the sake of drama. Why would Jamie be anything less than supportive of his wife wanting to advance in her career and obtain a higher rank? 

It was fun to see Baker, Garrett and Sid present a united front, because that almost never happens. You would think that would cause Frank to take a step back and rethink his position, but no. 

Eddie should know by now, honesty is the best policy! Granted, her parents weren't great role models for how to live with a spouse. 

The games between the mayor and the commissioner need to stop. Nobody wins, nobody looks good.

Danny and Baez story was good, and it seems that Danny has learned something with the turn of events. Too bad the false report turned around to bite the brothers in the end.

• Love 2

It seems to me that there are a lot of holes in the storylines this season.  

Who is this new mayor and what happened to the old one?  Honestly, I don't like either of them.

Did Erin's boss get canned because of the old case that was featured last week?  Or will she have to win the next election to keep her job? And if she was running against her boss, wouldn't that make for an even more toxic work environment?

And where is Sean going to college?  He is still around for Sunday dinner, but wasn't there an episode about him receiving a college acceptance letter last season?

24 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It seems to me that there are a lot of holes in the storylines this season.  

Who is this new mayor and what happened to the old one?  Honestly, I don't like either of them.

Did Erin's boss get canned because of the old case that was featured last week?  Or will she have to win the next election to keep her job? And if she was running against her boss, wouldn't that make for an even more toxic work environment?

And where is Sean going to college?  He is still around for Sunday dinner, but wasn't there an episode about him receiving a college acceptance letter last season?

I agree with you 100%.  BB is all over the place right out of the starting gate this season.  What happened to the Black mayor that wound up in a wheelchair?  What's up with this mayor's ego and why does he think firing a popular commisioner would be a good thing?  Where IS Sean going to college?  The older brother was at the dinner table last week (I forget his name, the one with the glasses), with no explanation and this week he's not there.  Jamie and Eddie - where do I start?  Why would she sneak around to study for the sergeant's exam when she knows Jamie would be pulling for her no matter her career choice?  That was stupid and lazy writing as far as I'm concerned, just way to write them into the episode.  Why not continue the story on the suspended officer?

All of the sudden the writers of BB seem like they've run out of fresh ideas.  I know they've certainly run out of interesting ones.  I wish they'd go ahead and make Erin the DA already.  This will she or won't she is so old and tiresome!

Maybe when they write Joe back into the series the show will be a little better.  Oh yeah, one more thing, that business with the envelope...why all the cat and mouse?  I guess they wanted to make sure we stayed turned in just to see what was in the envelope :-).

• Love 3

Dylan Walsh has been the mayor for at least a couple of seasons now.   He's been in various plots with Frank and Erin.  Originally he wanted the cops to be tough on crime because he ran on a campaign of keeping the streets safe for residents and tourists.  I missed why he did a 180 and was suddenly ticked off that Frank arrested someone for harassing someone stuck in traffic.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

What happened to the Black mayor that wound up in a wheelchair?

He resigned at the end of season 7.  Lorraine Bracco played the acting mayor for a year.  Then Dylan Walsh (Chase) got elected.

Frank's story with the mayor didn't make much sense.  Some cops arrested a guy for harassing a woman in traffic.  So what....

I was hoping Eddie was cheating on Jamie so the show could be rid of her.  Before Jamie was sergeant, they used to talk about taking the test together so that story made zero sense.  I know I complain about her every week, but I can't stand her.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I still can't believe pussy bows are back in fashion. Erin wore at least three of them in this episod

I deleted the episode and  I can't remember what she was wearing and there's no way I'm googling this 🤣

I agree the writing is getting lame. No way best boyfriend/ husband ever would ever have not supported Eddie. I thought maybe she was under cover on some super secret sting operation especially with that shoe. I mean I don't know what you wear to Sergeant class but ya idk.

This is the worst mayor incarnation I think the show has had. Like the actor but not his character. 

Need closure on Eddie's partner.

Enjoyed the Fonzie reference although I guess you have to be a certain demographic to appreciate it so glad the show targeted me. Lol

Edited by OLynn33
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Dylan Walsh has been the mayor for at least a couple of seasons now.   He's been in various plots with Frank and Erin.  Originally he wanted the cops to be tough on crime because he ran on a campaign of keeping the streets safe for residents and tourists.  I missed why he did a 180 and was suddenly ticked off that Frank arrested someone for harassing someone stuck in traffic.  

Thanks.  I was getting mixed up with the Governor.  I did not like that character either.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Why would she sneak around to study for the sergeant's exam when she knows Jamie would be pulling for her no matter her career choice?  That was stupid and lazy writing as far as I'm concerned, just way to write them into the episode. 

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Not only was the Jamie/Eddie plot dumb, there wasn’t even a resolution. All he said was “I hate that this is where we are at” and next time you see them it’s at dinner and no mention of their problem. 

Really confused with the back and forth with the mayor. He wants to be tough on crime, but when the police do their job and arrest someone, he has a problem with it and thinks Frank is showing off…why?

• Love 2

If you are initiating someone into your gang, why would you beat him unconscious and then run off with him lying all alone in the middle of the street? Especially if he's your brother. A good way to get your new member run over by a car, not to mention drawing all the police attention to your gang. That made zero sense.

• Love 4

Another plot hole:  if I recall correctly, Eddie made a big deal about taking the sergeant’s exam years ago but she failed and Jamie took it secretly at the same time and passed.  Can anyone confirm?  But really why would he even object either way?  Of course he would want her to advance. Very bad writing. Why create this fake drama?  

• Love 2

That was one one of the more humorous episodes.

Anthony imitating a scared Erin, pretending to bite her nails.

Danny had trouble admitting he was wrong and Baez says, "Ok Fonzie, spit it out..."  (referring to Fonzie who couldn't ever say he was wrong in the old Happy Days series.)

The Mayor talking about a person who needs the spotlight and Frank says "Don't be so hard on yourself.."

🤣🤣🤣

• Love 4
On 10/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, 3 is enough said:

I don't think we've been told where Sean is going to college, but there are enough college/universities in the New York Metro area that he could be going to school locally like Niki. 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, Evagirl said:

Where IS Sean going to college?  The older brother was at the dinner table last week (I forget his name, the one with the glasses), with no explanation and this week he's not there. 

I don't think we have been told where Sean is going to college yet. My guess is that the school year had not started or Jack had not returned for the start of the fall semester. Different schools start the semester at different times.

On 10/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, OLynn33 said:

Enjoyed the Fonzie reference although I guess you have to be a certain demographic to appreciate it so glad the show targeted me. Lol

I loved the Fonize reference, but I don't think it's as age dependant as you do. Nick at Nick used to show shows from the 1970s, like Happy Days. I am sure thare are tons of other places that showed it syndication as well.  

• Love 1

I agree with everyone who said that this episode was for the birds. I don't know what the mayor's problem is, but to even threaten to fire Frank for being on the scene when a guy was getting arrested makes NO sense. My guess is that he is very insecure and intimidated by Frank, and so will hate everything he does. Big position, very small person. Additionally, they called it harassment but since he had his arm inside the window, he could have really hurt the woman. They kept that from happening. I liked seeing Abigail, Garrett and Sid present a united front. I think they are much better at that since the show in which they had to do each other's jobs, which was great. I wish Abigail had more screen time.

I didn't believe Danny's not knowing that letting the gang guy's "friends" see him getting out of the police car would lead to a beating or worse, for one single second. He's a veteran cop and he doesn't know this? Also, not surprising since I loathe Danny, but of course he never says he is wrong, or means it if he does. He thinks he knows more and better than everyone else in the world. It's why he has had only female partners. He can control them. He hated every minute of riding with his female superior because he couldn't control her. No male partner would take it for a second.

I really liked Anthony's pretending to be scared Erin. I didn't care what was in the envelope.  I did NOT like the whole thing with Jamie and Eddie. I really liked Eddie before they got married, but now she doesn't treat Jamie with love. Now lying to him instead of talking to him, even though he would have supported her all the way. I wanted them to address the situation with the suspended officer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Adding also that I’m at the small table of Jamko shippers, so I just don’t like this bad writing that has them not getting along. It doesn’t fit the past narrative. 

No, it doesn't.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

I didn't believe Danny's not knowing that letting the gang guy's "friends" see him getting out of the police car would lead to a beating or worse, for one single second. He's a veteran cop and he doesn't know this? Also, not surprising since I loathe Danny, but of course he never says he is wrong, or means it if he does. He thinks he knows more and better than everyone else in the world. It's why he has had only female partners. He can control them. He hated every minute of riding with his female superior because he couldn't control her. No male partner would take it for a second.

Danny knew exactly what he was doing dropping that guy off, as well as what the reaction of the gang and consequences would be. It’s one of the reasons he was blustering so much to Baez about how he didn’t do anything wrong because technically whatever happened once the guy was out of his car wasn’t his fault. She saw right through that BS and called him out on it. It’s not the first time in the series he’s used that tactic, either. 

I think they are having a very difficult time this season writing a show that typically skews heavily on the pro-police side in the current climate. The new conflict with the mayor is directly borne out of that, and the writing is suffering in those areas. 

• Love 4

Eddie's lying to her husband day after day and gets judgmental Jamie followed her? He should be mad at the lying and sneaking around if she cant's simply say to her husband she wants to take an exam.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

Danny knew exactly what he was doing dropping that guy off, as well as what the reaction of the gang and consequences would be. It’s one of the reasons he was blustering so much to Baez about how he didn’t do anything wrong because technically whatever happened once the guy was out of his car wasn’t his fault. She saw right through that BS and called him out on it. It’s not the first time in the series he’s used that tactic, either. 

I think they are having a very difficult time this season writing a show that typically skews heavily on the pro-police side in the current climate. The new conflict with the mayor is directly borne out of that, and the writing is suffering in those areas. 

People see only the few police that do horrible things. There are over a million police officers in the US, and tarring them all with the same brush is, IMO just wrong. If the show wanted to show the police side as wrong, having them apprehend someone who was actively assaulting someone is not the way to do it.

• Love 1

This show is going out of its way to show cops are bad and anyone with white skin is privileged, but they still see nothing wrong with continuing with the fat shaming jokes against Anthony 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, susannah said:

People see only the few police that do horrible things. There are over a million police officers in the US, and tarring them all with the same brush is, IMO just wrong. If the show wanted to show the police side as wrong, having them apprehend someone who was actively assaulting someone is not the way to do it.

You are forgetting that this is Blue Bloods, so they aren't going to be criticizing the police in any way, shape or form. The mayor is a corporate type and with all that has been going on in the real world, even some of the moderate Republicans have begun to look side-eye at current police policies. This episode was all about them saying don't listen to these corporate types you hear wanting to change things, they are just saying that for idiotic reasons.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, susannah said:

Also, not surprising since I loathe Danny, but of course he never says he is wrong, or means it if he does. He thinks he knows more and better than everyone else in the world.

well, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree, now did it…

• Love 1
On 10/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, Rambler said:

If you are initiating someone into your gang, why would you beat him unconscious and then run off with him lying all alone in the middle of the street? Especially if he's your brother. A good way to get your new member run over by a car, not to mention drawing all the police attention to your gang. That made zero sense.

I think that gang initiations frequently include the members beating the initiate senseless.  There are other initiation rites, where the initiate has to commit a crime on an outsider.

4 hours ago, ctlady said:

This show is going out of its way to show cops are bad and anyone with white skin is privileged, but they still see nothing wrong with continuing with the fat shaming jokes against Anthony 

And it is only Danny who does it, because he thinks he can say or do whatever he wants.

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I think that gang initiations frequently include the members beating the initiate senseless.  There are other initiation rites, where the initiate has to commit a crime on an outsider.

Yeah I thought it was very odd that he was left in the middle of the road to get run over.

5 hours ago, Rambler said:

You are forgetting that this is Blue Bloods, so they aren't going to be criticizing the police in any way, shape or form. The mayor is a corporate type and with all that has been going on in the real world, even some of the moderate Republicans have begun to look side-eye at current police policies. This episode was all about them saying don't listen to these corporate types you hear wanting to change things, they are just saying that for idiotic reasons.

I get your point, but I do remember a few episodes from seasons past in which they did show officers doing wrong things, though mileage on the degree of wrong may vary, and I am not even mentioning Danny! Jamie's Sergeant had a gambling problem, the female officer that was killed took on three perps on her own, without calling for backup, other officers refused to back up the one who they thought "ratted" on her partner, the officer who didn't intervene in a convenience store robbery because his daughter was with him, etc.

7 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

Yes, IMO I think it did, since Frank is the PC and has to make tough decisions, but he always follows the law. Danny doesn't care about the law, as long as he gets the results he wants. It's been said he has been disciplined for it several times, and he has shown himself doing that many more times, and also compelling others to go outside the law too, to get the results he wants.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:
9 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

Yes, IMO I think it did, since Frank is the PC and has to make tough decisions, but he always follows the law. Danny doesn't care about the law, as long as he gets the results he wants. It's been said he has been disciplined for it several times, and he has shown himself doing that many more times, and also compelling others to go outside the law too, to get the results he wants.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, susannah said:

but of course he never says he is wrong, or means it if he does. He thinks he knows more and better than everyone else in the world

how many times has frank ever said that he was wrong and mean it? and when has frank not behaved as though he thinks he knows more and better than anyone else in the world?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

how many times has frank ever said that he was wrong and mean it? and when has frank not behaved as though he thinks he knows more and better than anyone else in the world?

I personally don't think he thinks he knows more and better than anyone else in the world. I think he thinks he has a very hard job, which he does, and he knows how to do his job. It's easy for the mayor to second guess him when it's not his life or his officers' lives on the line. He has also apologized when he truly thought he was wrong and not just told so by someone else.

• Love 1

I have a theory.

For the duration, the premise of the show is that the Reagan's are right. in any conflict, any question of law, the Reagans will be right. Certainly time may temper the punishment dealt out (Rachel Whitley for example) but that doesn't mean a Reagan was wrong, just harsh. Later reflection is just an opportunity for them to be more right.

The writers are having a hard time finding new ways for the Reagans to be right. It's 12 seasons, and I don't blame them for the bucket of rightfulness getting near the bottom.

So if they can't find ways for the Reagans to be right, I think that they have turned to finding ways for others to be more wrong. So without the Reagans being right, they *look* that way when cast in the light of others being so very wrong.

I think this is the reason for the Mayor and the Captain (and yes Eddie) being shown as doing really inexplicable, dumb and wrong actions with regard to the Reagans so that the Reagans continue to  be righter than right, without having to be right.

right? right.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, wonderwoman said:

I hadn't thought about this before, but you may be onto something. In my head, Jamie is Frank's mini-me and Danny is Henry's mini-me. Now that I think about it, Danny has some of the worst qualities of Frank and Henry. (Danny has also some great qualities. I don't hate the character). 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, zapper said:

I have a theory.

For the duration, the premise of the show is that the Reagan's are right. in any conflict, any question of law, the Reagans will be right. Certainly time may temper the punishment dealt out (Rachel Whitley for example) but that doesn't mean a Reagan was wrong, just harsh. Later reflection is just an opportunity for them to be more right.

The writers are having a hard time finding new ways for the Reagans to be right. It's 12 seasons, and I don't blame them for the bucket of rightfulness getting near the bottom.

So if they can't find ways for the Reagans to be right, I think that they have turned to finding ways for others to be more wrong. So without the Reagans being right, they *look* that way when cast in the light of others being so very wrong.

I think this is the reason for the Mayor and the Captain (and yes Eddie) being shown as doing really inexplicable, dumb and wrong actions with regard to the Reagans so that the Reagans continue to  be righter than right, without having to be right.

right? right.

exactly right!

anyone who disagrees with the reagans must be portrayed with not a scintilla of validity to their point of view. and while it may have escalated in recent years, imho, it’s been there since season one. 

Edited by wonderwoman
On 10/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, susannah said:

I didn't believe Danny's not knowing that letting the gang guy's "friends" see him getting out of the police car would lead to a beating or worse

Or worse is the key phrase here. Real world outcome would be the guy ends up on a slab within an hour or two, and IAB would have Danny's shield before the body got cold.

4 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Or worse is the key phrase here. Real world outcome would be the guy ends up on a slab within an hour or two, and IAB would have Danny's shield before the body got cold.

Do you know for a fact that Danny would be charged with murder? I know he knew that the guy was going to get beaten but if he was killed, that would be on the gang, not Danny. They are the criminals.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

Do you know for a fact that Danny would be charged with murder? I know he knew that the guy was going to get beaten but if he was killed, that would be on the gang, not Danny. They are the criminals.

Set a guy up to be hurt and it's a charge, which frankly he deserved right there, and if had been Not-a-Reagan he would almost certainly have been. If the guy had gotten whacked it would be some form of a lesser homicide charge. At the very least, I could see a case for reckless endangerment or conspiracy to commit assault.

If it was Not-a-Reagan in that case, on this show, he would be shown perp-walked out of the station house after Frank personally stripped him of his badge for bringing His Police Force into disrespect.

33 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Set a guy up to be hurt and it's a charge, which frankly he deserved right there, and if had been Not-a-Reagan he would almost certainly have been. If the guy had gotten whacked it would be some form of a lesser homicide charge. At the very least, I could see a case for reckless endangerment or conspiracy to commit assault.

If it was Not-a-Reagan in that case, on this show, he would be shown perp-walked out of the station house after Frank personally stripped him of his badge for bringing His Police Force into disrespect.

Are you a police officer?

7 minutes ago, susannah said:

Are you a police officer?

Nope (medical reasons put paid to that a long time ago). There's family history, though, which I'd rather not get into. More on the FD side than PD.

What he did was incredibly blatant. Especially today, a copper gets a guy killed or put in the hospital, there's no way that real-world IAB turns a blind eye.At the very least he'd lose his badge or he'd be busted out of his gold shield, and more likely he'd catch a charge by some ADA on the warpath. This police procedural show is utterly horrible when it comes to the depiction of real police procedures. That kind of thing I'm told does happen, but it's far more subtle. "Word gets out" somehow, etc.

The cop driving a suspect home scenario has already been done several years ago on ‘The Closer’.  Consequences were a long time coming, but it was used as the reason Brenda Lee eventually left the job. 
Jamie should have been able to figure out what Eddie was doing.  I’m sure the locations/dates/times to study for the Sargents’ Exams were posted on bulletin boards and also  discussed publicly.  He should have known of a couple other police officers planning on taking the exam.  
My favorite character on this show - Anthony.  I really wish the Reagans’ would adopt him and invite him to dinners. 

2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Jamie should have been able to figure out what Eddie was doing.<snip>
He should have known of a couple other police officers planning on taking the exam. 

Absolutely. Half the class and the instructor would have let him know. The way it should have played out is to get Eddy suspicious that Jamie might find out, have all the suspicions clearly put in place for the viewer as well, but then they get the big reveal seeing her studying in class. And then the instructor then introduces a special guest who'll give tonight's lecture. Jamie.

2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

My favorite character on this show - Anthony.  I really wish the Reagans’ would adopt him and invite him to dinners. 

Favorite by a country mile.  He's the only one with even a hint of authenticity in the whole show in terms of personality, but he doesn't belong at Sunday dinner. Speaking of, imagine how awkward it would be if psychic-lady and Danny become A Thing.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:36 AM, Maverick said:

I missed why he did a 180 and was suddenly ticked off that Frank arrested someone for harassing someone stuck in traffic. 

Why indeed? Reflection of the times, except it wasn’t simple harassment, the guy reached into her open window and roughed her up in a fight for her purse or wallet! She was a fool for having her window down. 

• Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, mythoughtis said:

I like the idea of him at Sunday dinner. I also like the idea of a one-off poker game with Anthony, Danny, Frank, Henry and Jamie. The reason I want a poker game is because Anthony seems to know some of the Reagans tells. Send Erin off to California to attend a legal conference/visit Nicki so there isn't an issue of why she wasn't invited. 

• Love 1