Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Paskho Apparel; Lion Latch; KIN Satin Lined Hoodies; Uprising Hipster Bread Cube

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Guest Shark Emma Grede; A line of functional apparel and accessories; a healthy super food product; a way to store jewelry when on the go; a New York fashion designer who wants to transform the way clothes are manufactured in America

• Love 1

The Silk lined hoodie hood looked very useful, but I'm guessing easy to knock off.  Like Mr. Wonderful, it wouldn't do anything for me.   I hope the seller is very successful, I really liked her, and her drive. 

The Bread pitch didn't interest me at all, and I was stunned at the price.   The duo will never make a profit, and I'm guessing no company will want to buy them out, because their product is over priced, and 

The Lion Latch, not interested.

The clothing at the end, the seller didn't get a deal because he needs someone to run the company.   He's the idea person, but not a manager, and certainly not a good planner. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Yeah not impressed at all with these

Why couldn't other hood companies just use satin hoods?

The bread people obviously have no interest in turning a profit and just want a huge buy out sometime. 

If you're trying to convince people a living wage is doable in the fashion industry, the last guy did absolutely nothing to help the argument. 

• Love 4

I'm not sure what the last guy was even selling.

That bread is ridiculous. Humans bodies are not made to eat processed foods, that's true. But you don't need specially formulated bread, just cut out or down on the processed food, especially sugar. You can get bread with ancient grains, it's easily available now. Also, don't get any bread that has enriched wheat as the first ingredient. It's actually terrible for you.

• Useful 3

I liked Emma, but that's about the only positive I have (well, other than I am very happy to have the new season-oh, and one more positive-I liked that Mark isn't coloring his hair so dark, I liked the more natural look he had).

I applaud the idea of satin-lined hoodie and am amazed that someone did not create one sooner.  However, I found the presenter too weepy and agree that this could be knocked off.

My big question about the bread presenters was how much are they paying themselves?  They were all "we're experts at branding, social media, etc." and as they were not concerned about becoming profitable I think they are paying themselves handsomely and therefore do not have to worry about profits.  They are also pretty impressed with themselves.

The Lion Lock just seems unnecessary.  I agree with the presenter-don't throw jewelry loose into one's purse, but there are hundreds of other options (small zippered bags, places in one's wallet, a pocket in one's purse, etc.).

The clothing presentation?  Very telling when after presenting his passion for providing community based jobs he admitted that he did not start out with the concept having only developed that when his supply train was disrupted during Covid.  So, which is it?  Community based or whatever will get an investment?  It was very telling when he started pushing back against Emma's observations (and his face showed that he was getting angry with her).  

So, again, presenters who TOTALLY over-value their ideas and are dumbfounded when the Sharks disagree.  Sigh.

Anyway, very glad the show is back!

• Love 7

The bread cube hipsters were utterly unconcerned with ever making a profit - they are just coasting along til someone buys them out. I am surprised the Sharks did not ask what other funding they have burned thru already .

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Msample said:

The bread cube hipsters were utterly unconcerned with ever making a profit - they are just coasting along til someone buys them out. I am surprised the Sharks did not ask what other funding they have burned thru already .

They may have and it was just edited out. 

You'd think the presenters would know by now that anything less than a 10% stake is going to be scrutinized or rejected by the Sharks. I think the Uprising Bread couple (3%!) were just looking for exposure because they certainly didn't seem to have a workable plan for investors. I guess it's too early in the season for Mark to yell at them for using Shark Tank as advertising.

• Love 4

I think the speculation that the bread people came on Shark Tank for the publicity is right.    I think that they thought the bread sales would go through the roof, because they came on the show.    The fact that I could buy a bunch of artisan, whole grain bread at my local grocery store bakery for their price wouldn't interest me in their product.   The bread cube isn't even sliced, so with my lack of knife skills, I'm predicting their bread cube slice estimate would be way less for me.   

I wasn't impressed by the other two presenters either.    

I love the story of the Kin hoodie lady, and I'm so impressed by her.    I think the key for her business is to get her products out there, and sell quickly, before the knockoffs start coming out. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Not only was the hipster bread cube ridiculously overpriced, I found the presenters to be smug and full of themselves. I rolled my eyes when they kept using "fancy" phrases instead of clear English during their presentation.

I think that of all the presenters that I have ever seen, they were the ones who used the most number of buzz words ever.

They really thought that they were all that and that their bread was the best thing since sliced bread.  Dude, $12 USD for a cube of unsliced bread.  Nobody is going to buy a company that is bleeding out money like that at the jugular.

I was so sure that the Lion Lock was going to be some kind of mini-tracker that you could somehow attach to things and was shocked that it was just a case!  I have a kitchen drawer filled with Tupperware-like containers that I can drop my jewelry, money, etc into.  I do not need a $10 container in bright, shiny colors.

Clothing guy needs to stick to design and get a business person to run the company.

Only the hoody lady got a deal.  Her hoodies were nice and I liked her, but anyone can start adding satin inside a hood. Usually the last pitch in the tank gets a deal.  Surprised that they started the season like that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, aemom said:

I think that of all the presenters that I have ever seen, they were the ones who used the most number of buzz words ever.

They really thought that they were all that and that their bread was the best thing since sliced bread.  Dude, $12 USD for a cube of unsliced bread.  Nobody is going to buy a company that is bleeding out money like that at the jugular.

I was so sure that the Lion Lock was going to be some kind of mini-tracker that you could somehow attach to things and was shocked that it was just a case!  I have a kitchen drawer filled with Tupperware-like containers that I can drop my jewelry, money, etc into.  I do not need a $10 container in bright, shiny colors.

Clothing guy needs to stick to design and get a business person to run the company.

Only the hoody lady got a deal.  Her hoodies were nice and I liked her, but anyone can start adding satin inside a hood. Usually the last pitch in the tank gets a deal.  Surprised that they started the season like that.

Yes, I sat up straighter at the beginning of the Lion Lock pitch because I thought it was going to be something like the Tile, which I've had a lot of success with in keeping track of certain people in my household's keys/wallets/phones and have occasionally thought of putting one on the TV remote, which gets lost with astounding regularity.

But a little locking case? In this house, the case would be as likely to get lost as a ring on its own. And I'm just not sure what the need was. For this particular lady, sure, she's a teacher and coach, so she'll wear her ring during the day and need to take it off after school, but most people don't have a need to take off their jewelry til they get home.

Also, I saw something very similar to this at CVS yesterday, it was a case for Air Pods, but the exterior looked the same. 

The bread guy was beyond obnoxious. Working with that smarmy know-it-all would be a nightmare, not surprised there was no deal. And $12 for bread is insane, especially for how tiny it looked. 

Weak opening episode, IMO. 

• Love 3

Did I hear the guest shark mentioning, almost as a throwaway, that the first pitcher was a desirable demographic with lots of competition to in vest in businesses owned by black women?   It is true that female and minority owned businesses need a leg up to even the playing field, I wish this wasn’t mentioned because it kind of diminishes her deal.   

• Love 3

I really thought the hoodie idea was lucky to get a deal. 
The bread was way too expensive. I can find sliced bread that is compatible with low carb diets with fewer calories and affordable everywhere now.  That cube looked tiny. 
was surprised that the Lion Latch lady couldn’t believe she didn’t get a deal. What’s to stop someone from stealing your purse with the ring in it. I’d wear a simple band to school and leave my engagement ring at home. You’ll survive 

• Love 3

I really like Emma Grede.  She's very smart and intuitive.  The Kardashians are lucky to work with her.  

Shark Tank has become boring.  Food items, clothing, a fitness routine, some pet care item, eco-friendly stuff like a skin care line or a cleaning product line.  

I have been watching random episodes of Shark Tank, so everything's a blur.  Was everybody crying in this episode?  It's such a turn-off when somebody cries.  I can't imagine doing that at a presentation or at an investor meeting.

The hoodie's value is the story behind it.  Nothing proprietary.  Too expensive.  

The bread is ridiculous.  Nobody is going to buy it when cheaper bread is available: keto bread, ancient grains bread, Ezekiel bread.  

The Lion Latch is a solution looking for a problem.  

I FF for most of the last invention--the feel-good clothing line.  Another charity clothing line.  Again, the value is the story behind it, and the market is flooded with this stuff, e.g., Tom's shoes, bombas socks.

I'm tired of diversity, crying, charity over business, etc.  I want to see good inventions without the distractions.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

as someone who does not wear hoodies for all the reasons the seller laid out (i also used to wrap my hair before pulling a hoodie on, but eventually just phased them out of my wardrobe altogether), i was happy to see a satin-lined hoodie and also surprised that it took this long for one to be on the market. i echo y'all in saying that the product will be knocked off in no time, but i applaud the seller getting a deal.

i tuned out of the rest of the episode as soon as i heard $12 for a loaf of bread. get out of here

• Love 3
On 10/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, spaulding said:

The Lion Latch is a solution looking for a problem.  

Just got around to watching this tonight, and that is exactly what I said to my hubby. Mind you I say that about pretty much at least one pitch per episode. Besides being a useless product, the pitcher was rude. What was up with giving Kevin hearing aides? Smart move to insult one shark right off the bat. But yes, on the rare time I take off my rings, it isn't hard to find a safe place to put them. 

• Love 1

On 10/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I'm not sure what the last guy was even selling.

Me either...can someone explain?

On 10/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I was surprised that the Lion Latch lady couldn’t believe she didn’t get a deal. What’s to stop someone from stealing your purse with the ring in it. 

I was so confused by her suggesting to put the Lion Latch on the outside of the purse.  Not only could the entire purse be stolen, but IIRC, it only latches but doesn't lock, and that type of ring latch is very easy to pop open.  Plus, it was confusing that her story was about how she realized she couldn't wear her ring to practice any more, but not why her solution was better than just putting the ring in any other random small container.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:14 PM, DEL901 said:

Did I hear the guest shark mentioning, almost as a throwaway, that the first pitcher was a desirable demographic with lots of competition to in vest in businesses owned by black women?   It is true that female and minority owned businesses need a leg up to even the playing field, I wish this wasn’t mentioned because it kind of diminishes her deal.   

However, I think it was important to keep in there, because we have seen time and time again that pitchers don't get a deal because the product is not proprietary.  Additionally, the sharks often avoid products that require explanation about the product, which this one needs.  Yet she got a deal, even though both of those drawbacks were glaring.  The sharks sometimes have varied reasons for investing in a particular product, and that explanation was simply part of the decision-making process for Emma. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I can find sliced bread that is compatible with low carb diets with fewer calories and affordable everywhere now.   

On 10/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

But you don't need specially formulated bread, just cut out or down on the processed food, especially sugar. You can get bread with ancient grains, it's easily available now. 

Ah, but there was one other feature they mentioned, and that was gluten free.  I have recently had to enter the world of gluten free, and the bread aspect is horrible, especially loaf bread.  I have tried many gluten-free bread products, and because I like to eat sandwiches for lunch, I have managed to make a rotation of loaf bread, bagel, wrap, and english muffin.  So I would probably give the bread cube a try, because I would only use two pieces per week.  I went to their website and it's a nightmare -- horribly confusing to simply find the products other than the specific ones that they are currently pimping.  And it looks like if you just want the bread cube, you have to order a bundle with 4 cubes.  For some bizarre reason, they appear to call it The Hawaii and Alaska Bundle, with no explanation, so I'm not even totally sure I'd be getting the right thing!

• Love 1

I think the hoodie lady copied the satin lining idea from Robyn Dixon of Real Housewives of Potomac who came out with baseball cap style of hats lined in satin. Her explanation made more sense that it helped keep one’s hairstyle in place, similar to the idea of satin pillowcases.  

• Love 1
On 10/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Ah, but there was one other feature they mentioned, and that was gluten free.  I have recently had to enter the world of gluten free, and the bread aspect is horrible, especially loaf bread.  I have tried many gluten-free bread products, and because I like to eat sandwiches for lunch, I have managed to make a rotation of loaf bread, bagel, wrap, and english muffin.  So I would probably give the bread cube a try, because I would only use two pieces per week.  I went to their website and it's a nightmare -- horribly confusing to simply find the products other than the specific ones that they are currently pimping.  And it looks like if you just want the bread cube, you have to order a bundle with 4 cubes.  For some bizarre reason, they appear to call it The Hawaii and Alaska Bundle, with no explanation, so I'm not even totally sure I'd be getting the right thing!

Quoting myself because I did receive the bread, and, well, nope.  It did not taste good...it was bland, with a sodium-y taste.  Plus, the smallest amount you could order was 4 cubes, so I ordered that bundle, and they somehow signed me up for a subscription.  Hopefully they'll remedy the subscription situation...awaiting their response.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2