Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: Season 30 Premiere

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

With the show playing up the Brian Austin Green/Sharna romance (@Annber03 I had to stop myself from typing Sharona, heh), we needed Tom to bring it back. He has the years-long relationship with these pros, Tyra barely knows them and it shows. I remember how Tom was when Kym/Robert got eliminated and Tom got all dad-like with it and said that he's known Kym for a long time and he's not seen her this happy before, or something to that affect

I agree.  Erin was the same way.  I remember the first time that Keo made it to the finals.  She said that she was happy for him, what a wonderful guy he was, and asked how he felt about it.  Keo got really emotional when he was answering.

I don't get that with Tyra.  She cares about her smizing, outfit changes, etc..  She tries to be too dramatic or excited when she speaks.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, realdancemom said:

I agree.  Erin was the same way.  I remember the first time that Keo made it to the finals.  She said that she was happy for him, what a wonderful guy he was, and asked how he felt about it.  Keo got really emotional when he was answering.

I don't get that with Tyra.  She cares about her smizing, outfit changes, etc..  She tries to be too dramatic or excited when she speaks.

Even the stupid inside jokes like Erin cheering for Keo the first season he made it past the first elimination, after so many seasons. Heh. If Tyra ever tried something like that it would come off rude and awkward.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Re: Olivia Jade and le scandale: DWTS is like Redemption Central! Ryan Lochte, Rod Blagojevich, Tom Delay, Sean Spicer, Lamar Odom. I'm  surprised Monica Lewinsky  hasn't  been on! 

Rick Perry was the former governor (of Texas) who did the show. Others who could fall into the redemption category: Lawrence Taylor, Tonya Harding, and Paula Deen.

Tyra’s stylist for the show apparently still hates her. *lol*

My final four as of now: JoJo, Amanda, Mel C (who DOES NOT AGE), and Suni. The Miz and Melora are my dark horses. But there are so many good dancers this season, nobody except Martin would be truly shocking to make it to the final.

Edited by Sister Havana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Hee :D!

But yeah, I agree with how the show handled this, treating it like a big piece of gossip. I can't say I'm all that invested in the dating lives of the people on this show, no - if they're happy, great. That's all the more I really need to know. 

The only relationships I've ever mildly cared about on this show were Anna/Jonathan (who have since split up), mostly because I liked when they got to dance together, and Sasha/Emma, because I love Sasha.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, they used to alternate between two (maybe three) dances, I think. Things like the jive and paso and tango were definitely saved for a little later in the season.

Not sure how I feel about the slow music for the jive. It was definitely interesting, though.

I seem to recall that week one was half cha cha cha and half quickstep.  Week two the couple that did the quickstep had the jive and the other the foxtrot.  So everybody alternated having ballroom and latin.

I do remember thinking it was insane to have quickstep and jive right out of the box, since those are arguably two of the more difficult (speaking athletically) dances.  But they are two of my favorites, so I was okay with seeing a large number of them.

I really miss the days of the show being equitable.  Everybody had to do the same dances and it was apples to apples.  Now so many people get out of doing a quickstep, jive, rumba, etc. for either physical or age related reasons.  Did Adam Rippon ever even DO a ballroom dance?  I know that was a shortened (joke) or a season, but still...

I thought I had taken this off of my dvr last year (not even Nelly could keep me watching), but it ended up taping so I watched, basically ffing all of the Tyra crap (I would never do that to Tom and Erin).

My final verdict?  Eh...  I'll keep it recording, unless I have a conflict like a basketball game (The Voice stays, DWTS goes).   I can see myself equally watching it with judicious use of the ff, or just deleting unwatched. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

Rick Perry was the former governor (of Texas) who did the show. Others who could fall into the redemption category: Lawrence Taylor, Tonya Harding, and Paula Deen.

Tyra’s stylist for the show apparently still hates her. *lol*

My final four as of now: JoJo, Amanda, Mel C (who DOES NOT AGE), and Suni. The Miz and Melora are my dark horses. But there are so many good dancers this season, nobody except Martin would be truly shocking to make it to the final.

I don't think the Final Four will include all women "stars." At least, I hope not!

42 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

What did Lawrence Taylor do?

Didn't Ray Lewis do something, also?

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know if Sister Havana was referencing something specific, but LT has a whole section on his wikipedia page entitled "Run-ins with the law" and another about "drug and lifestyle problems."

Ray Lewis had this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#Murder_trial (his charge was dismissed after he testified and pleaded to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice)

• Useful 2
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

He was with an underaged prostitute. I believe he was on DWTS before it was revealed. 

I'm rooting for Suni/Sasha. I want Sasha to win. I just hope Suni can get over her nerves.

The first show used to have easier dances. 

Gossipers have said Brian Austin Green is a jerk. But I hope he's good to Sharna. 

I didn't realize the peleton guy was so popular. I was thinking the bachelor might get support of Bachelor Nation( I don't watch the show), but it might be peleton nation.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

He also broke Joe Theismann's leg on MNF.  It wasn't a dirty play, but a lot of people blamed him for ending Theismann's career.

1 hour ago, Sile said:

I seem to recall that week one was half cha cha cha and half quickstep.  Week two the couple that did the quickstep had the jive and the other the foxtrot.  So everybody alternated having ballroom and latin.

Close. Week 1 was Cha-Cha (men) and Waltz (women); Week 2 was Quickstep (men) and Rumba (women); Week 3 was Tango (Men) and Jive (women); Week 4 was Foxtrot (women) and Paso Doble (men); and Week 5 was Samba (everyone) and Viennese Waltz (group competition only). Starting with Week 6, everyone reversed, doing the dances during the remaining weeks that they didn't do during the first four weeks.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know if Sister Havana was referencing something specific, but LT has a whole section on his wikipedia page entitled "Run-ins with the law" and another about "drug and lifestyle problems."

Ray Lewis had this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#Murder_trial (his charge was dismissed after he testified and pleaded to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice)

I was referencing his multiple run-ins with the law. I should have mentioned Ray Lewis. Michael Irvin and Andy Dick, too!

• Love 2

Check out Cody’s Facebook page. He has been featured in a series of magazines. He has over 180,000 followers. The Boo Crew, his Peloton hard core followers, has two pages with 54,000 followers. He is one of the more popular instructors on the bike. Expect a Britney song if he can get it in. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Close. Week 1 was Cha-Cha (men) and Waltz (women); Week 2 was Quickstep (men) and Rumba (women); Week 3 was Tango (Men) and Jive (women); Week 4 was Foxtrot (women) and Paso Doble (men); and Week 5 was Samba (everyone) and Viennese Waltz (group competition only). Starting with Week 6, everyone reversed, doing the dances during the remaining weeks that they didn't do during the first four weeks.

Thanks for the info!  I didn't think I was quite right, because whoever got the quickstep and jive vs. the cha cha cha and foxtrot would really get the short end of the stick!  I knew that jive was relatively early on.

It used to be laid out so elegantly and thoughtfully!  Now it seems it's just throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks with no rhyme or reason.  And I still miss the mambo!

• Love 4

Finally watched and I think surfing the 'net and Youtube has ruined me - I thought the show would never end! And the worst part is after the judges speak, Tyra asks those inane questions in such an awkward way. Oy. It also annoys me that Derek has the voice of a 14-year-old but gotta admit he knows his dancing. (not that it matters when he scores Mel C the same as The Miz - producer micro-managing again...)

Oh and at the end of the intro, Len says, "It's been a great ride." And it made me nervous but he did seem a bit weaker? He fumbled for his paddle once, Bruno did too but I wondered if it was to cover for Len - and late in the show, he was mumbling about not being done with his critique... anyway, I'm just a grouch this season.

I seem to disagree with everyone else here - I thought Melora was awful. Like a hunched, floppy ragdoll (though the energy was good). Derek did mention she was off-balance but the judges loved her too, so what do I know, but I had her as next to the worst, who I don't need to mention (though his little speech was fine, and considering what came after, a good idea - gonna be a short one, Britt.)

Did someone here mention Emma didn't wear her wedding rings? I watched after Sasha and Suni's dance, and the camera showed her cheering for them and I did spot those rings. Whew! I don't know about Suni's personality - hopefully it's just nerves, like others have mentioned, but I don't know... So many upbeat personalities, it may be hard for her.

I wanted to dislike Jojo (when I saw her, the song, "Send In the Clowns" popped in my mind), but I really liked her -- even though I don't much like Jenna. 

A lot of good dancers! and I'll be interested in seeing how they do next week, with the exception of BAG and Sharna who made me want to puke - FF time (along with Tyra's questions)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I remembered a contestant proposed on the show. I looked it up and it was Noah Galloway. It's pandering for votes and unfair to the other contestants.

FWIW, didn't they break up shortly thereafter?

• Love 1
On 9/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, babyhouseman said:

I didn't realize the peleton guy was so popular. I was thinking the bachelor might get support of Bachelor Nation( I don't watch the show), but it might be peleton nation.

It is true! I have a Peloton, and I'm watching this season because of Cody. He has literally hundreds of thousands of fans who take his rides; he is very popular in the Peloton world!

• Useful 2

As far as people saying there are no Stars on this show; it is all about who you have heard of. I didn't know Cody but I will get to know him on DWTS. I am 65, and like many other old people, I know Mel C because back in the day, my 2 nieces were big Spice Girl fans. 

In season 2 I remarked in work "I don't know who this Jerry Rice is, or this Kenny Mayne guy" and I faced a resounding chorus of "only the greatest wide receiver of all time!" and "He's on ESPN!"

So it's all about what your bag is. 

• Love 10

Other than Martin, I thought everyone did great! It's going to be a fun competition to watch as the skill-level across the board seems high this season.

My favorites of the night were:

Kenya/Brandon: Just gorgeous! Both the dance and the couple. Loved the fluidity and groundedness and Kenya had a lot of refinement for Week 1. She reminds me of Laila Ali and I think her Latin will be as strong as her ballroom.

Amanda/Alan: Confident and dynamic performance from Amanda! Alan seems to teach technique well and tango is usually a strong dance from him. 

Iman/Daniella: Of all the male stars, I was most pleasantly surprised by Iman. He showed rhythm, musicality, and looked so comfortable on the dance floor! I thought his technique was decent and Daniella gave him a lot of choreography. There was no way they deserved a 4! It's so egregious, it just gives fuel to the tinfoil theory that the scores and comments are scripted.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 7:07 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

As far as people saying there are no Stars on this show; it is all about who you have heard of. I didn't know Cody but I will get to know him on DWTS. I am 65, and like many other old people, I know Mel C because back in the day, my 2 nieces were big Spice Girl fans. 

In season 2 I remarked in work "I don't know who this Jerry Rice is, or this Kenny Mayne guy" and I faced a resounding chorus of "only the greatest wide receiver of all time!" and "He's on ESPN!"

So it's all about what your bag is. 

At this point, I don't care too much who the celebrities are and whether or not I know who they are. I just hope to see some good dancing. Also, for me, the "Stars" of DWTS are the pros. They are the ones who come back season after season and who do the most work, so I am naturally more invested in them. I actually tend to see it more as a competition amongst the PROS with who they get paired up with and whether their celebrity can have them contend for the mirrorball, LOL!

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I haven't heard anything, or read anything, on how this effects Cody, or the rest of the pros/celebs, or the show in general.

I would imagine that he has to quarantine and that they cannot dance tonight. I have no idea what that means for the show though. I do know that Cody has already had COVID, he missed 3 weeks on the bike and the Peloton world was in a bit of an uproar.

• Love 1

I live in California. As far as I know, if you are vaccinated here and test negative then you don't have to quarantine, even if you were in contact with someone who tested positive. Let's hope that is the case for Cody and he can get a temporary new partner.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I would imagine that he has to quarantine and that they cannot dance tonight. I have no idea what that means for the show though. I do know that Cody has already had COVID, he missed 3 weeks on the bike and the Peloton world was in a bit of an uproar.

Edit: Kristyn Butt has reported that Cody will be dancing with an alternate if his test is negative.

I don't like that. If Cheryl really only found out about her positive yesterday or even a day or two before that, Cody could still have it even if he tested negative today.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

"I don't know who this Jerry Rice is, or this Kenny Mayne guy"

I miss the two of them doing updates on the show. It cracked me up when they had glitter and rhinestones on their faces.

• Love 7

Complete Bs that jojo siwa got the highest score of the night when he partner fell during the dance. But you can tell that between that and them going past, that this is who production is gonna try and help win. 

• Love 2