Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Seven Talk

• Start Topic

I really loved the interview with the blind influencer from last night's show. My mom was blind and I remember a high school friend saying she didn't believe my mom was blind because her eyes weren't blue and she thought when you went blind your eyes went blue. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I liked it, too. I do wish she had come prepared with specific places to go rather than "social media" in a general way, though, because "social media" has way too much utter crap mixed in with the good info. One of my exes was blind and she was an activist (in the early 1990s) and she had really strong feelings about what sources of that era were good and which ones were terrible, and would rattle off her list of the pros and cons of each of them whenever the opportunity arose.

I realize there are a lot more options nowadays, when anyone can launch a channel. But still... a few starting places would help to steer folks towards good info and away from bad. She herself said that there's a lot of nonsense out there, so I wish she had given more of a push away from that and towards the good stuff.

Still, I really appreciate that Trevor is giving air to this topic. In my experience with disability issues (and blind and Deaf) are not taken seriously enough by most people who are interested in other issues, so it's really helpful when someone with a platform like TDS gives it some attention.

• Love 3

I loved the entire segment on the new British PM.  "Yeah, can you imagine if white English people wanted to rule countries where no one looked like them?  That would never happen!" already had me rolling, and then he came out with telling British racists they're looking at it all wrong: "After 400 years, you'll finally get to legitimately blame a Brown person for your country's problems -- you're living your dreams!"  Then the bit about voting for Brexit specifically to keep Britain white, and that setting off a seven-year domino effect that has now led directly to an Indian prime minister.

And, then, yes, the closer about selling the country to India.  HA!!!!  "Revenge time, you bastards.  This was the plan the whole time.  Happy Diwali, mother bitches!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I loved the entire segment on the new British PM.  "Yeah, can you imagine if white English people wanted to rule countries where no one looked like them?  That would never happen!" already had me rolling, and then he came out with telling British racists they're looking at it all wrong: "After 400 years, you'll finally get to legitimately blame a Brown person for your country's problems -- you're living your dreams!"  Then the bit about voting for Brexit specifically to keep Britain white, and that setting off a seven-year domino effect that has now led directly to an Indian prime minister.

And, then, yes, the closer about selling the country to India.  HA!!!!  "Revenge time, you bastards.  This was the plan the whole time.  Happy Diwali, mother bitches!"

EXACTLY! And the expression on the DJ? Reporter’s face? Priceless.

• Love 1

Ever since Trevor announced he's leaving, there have been LOTS of ads running on MSNBC for TDS with Trevor Noah. It's weird that they're promoting him now, when he's about to leave.

"T No-No" could be his name. It's slightly better than Lil Dimples.

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

Ever since Trevor announced he's leaving, there have been LOTS of ads running on MSNBC for TDS with Trevor Noah. It's weird that they're promoting him now, when he's about to leave.

Trevor is producing a documentary series for MSNBC called "The Turning Point". 

Trevor seems to really be enlivened by the travel.

But I'm realizing I really don't much like any of the "correspondents" anymore. They all have the same tone and no real message. It's more pranking than commentary most of the time. I almost never learn anything and mostly they're not that funny, either.

• Love 1
On 10/25/2022 at 10:29 PM, Bastet said:

I thought it showed ignorance but highlighted the insistence of the identity lens US see’s everything thru, the PM is British born of Indian heritage who’s parents migrated from East Africa in the 60’s, so a success, to denigrate him, UK or India by referring to him as an ‘Indian’ PM exemplifies the ignorance.

What was funny and also utterly disrespectful was Bidens pronouncement of the British P.Ms name, why couldn’t the old white fella manage that?

From the US that hasn’t even managed a female POTUS. HA!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have been really impressed with the correspondents' work lately. Usually they bore me to tears but since the Atlanta trip they've been fire.

The interview with Obama was incredibly insightful. I would totally love to see the "Half and Half" tour.

• Love 2

The first lineup of guest hosts have been announced starting with Leslie Jones the week of January 17. 

Others include Chelsea Handler, Al Franken, Kal Penn, Wanda Sykes, D.L. Hughley, John Leguizamo, Hassan Minaj, Marlon Wayans, and the TDS correspondents and contributors.

The permanent TDS host won’t be announced until fall.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Trevor's final episode went waaaaay over time-- I think it was 90 mins??-- and my DVR cut it off at the usual end point.

I caught a replay, and a lot of what had been cut off  was Trevor just talking, reminiscing and sharing what he learned from his experience hosting.

They ended with singing "you'll never walk alone".

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

It was a bittersweet ending. And it did go WAAAAY over. I record Hell of a Week that comes in right after. That show is only 30 minutes long (I think) and the first 20 minutes was Trevor. At one point I fast forwarded to see how much longer he'd be talking! When Hell of a Week started he made it through the intro and then the recording cut off! 

But watching Trevor tear up--especially during Youll Never Walk Alone was sweet. I remain loving Dulce and wanting her dresses. I did enjoy the video segment that started with everyone slowly realizing that all of the bad started after Trevor moved to the US and they were like HURRY UP AND LEAVE! 

I like Trevor Noah and I'll miss him in this format. There were swaths of the pandemic and George Floyd when I just couldn't do a regular newshow and I would watch Trevor.i think he kept me sane. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Trevor's final episode went waaaaay over time-- I think it was 90 mins??-- and my DVR cut it off at the usual end point.

I caught a replay, and a lot of what had been cut off  was Trevor just talking, reminiscing and sharing what he learned from his experience hosting.

They ended with singing "you'll never walk alone".

My PVR cut off too, and now I’ll be searching for a way to watch the end (hoping it’s on my Shaw on Demand, as I’m in Canada). At least I saw some clips of his monologues. 

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere was how Jordan's segment in the beginning mirrored Colbert's on Stewart's last show. The standing behind, the "did you forget someone?" I had been watching that segment a few weeks ago and it immediately jumped out at me. I liked that Trevor  gave each of them one last chance to shine and poke fun at him

In the end, Trevor ended up mirroring Jon a lot - supporting the correspondents in their careers, wanting to have thoughtful discourse. They took different directions but Trevor kept the core of what the Daily Show is. Congrats and best wishes wherever the winds take Trevor next.

• Love 5
On 12/9/2022 at 2:55 AM, hiisa said:

I did enjoy the video segment that started with everyone slowly realizing that all of the bad started after Trevor moved to the US and they were like HURRY UP AND LEAVE! 

That cracked me up.  As did Dulcé's farewell (I loved "You sound like a white girl doing a semester abroad").

Trevor getting choked up when he said if you truly want to learn about America, or the most equitable way to do things, talk to Black women, was fantastic.

I can't believe it's over.  But I couldn't fathom what the show was going to be without Jon Stewart, and look what happened, so I'm along for the ride!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

Is there a new forum for TDS now that the new format has started? Or do we post here?

Michael Kosta is basically Poor Man’s Colin Jost. Can’t say I’m surprised. Thanks, Leslie!

Edited by Lantern7
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

This thread is fine since the revolving hosts isn’t going to be permanent.

Oops - some of us have been using this thread for the post-Trevor era.

Should we move that discussion over here?

I’m a adult* male, and I’ve been to therapy for ages. Probably helped that I started as a kid. I wound up going to an online service recently because things felt like they were pressing on me. I did not consider heavy weights. I haven’t been to the gym, but that’s more because I’m working.

No wonder Desi isn’t the host. She doesn’t want people to know “Anastasia” is still alive.

*Technically, I’m an adult. Emotionally? It varies from day to day.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

I’m glad Leslie Jones’ run is over. So much shouting.

It was mixed for me. When she was laughing at the “erotic” MLK/CSK statue or accosting white people on the street about their MLK Day plans, it was fun. When she went on and on and on with that correspondent on the chicken farm it was just unfunny. When she explained why she supports Planned Parenthood, it was powerful. I like Leslie, but she definitely needs the right material.

• Like 7

I've only had a chance to watch Wanda Sykes's first episode so far, but she's killing it like I knew she would.  She's my favorite comedian.

I loved her stuff on Biden's classified documents (I figured she'd bring in her NSA history), about how at this point the FBI is just Marie Kondo-ing Biden's house for him.  "This list of spies does not spark joy."

I also loved her take on the Church of England's stance on gay marriage, equating to hers on destination weddings:  "I ain't gonna be there, but good for y'all."  Same, Wanda, same.

I love the woman in Roy's piece who said a country has a problem when its guns have more rights than its women.

I only know Mike Epps from The Upshaws, so it was interesting hearing them talk about their different types of comedy and different audiences.  That's really cool what he's doing in his hometown.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I love Katha Pollitt, so having her and Wanda together is a show tailor made for me.  They had a nice conversation.  I like Wanda saying "I hope you're right" about Katha sticking with the motto people aren't as evil as they seem.  And Katha's delight at Wanda's idea about a combo abortion-boner pill.

I got a good laugh at Wanda's reaction to the Splash Mountain change being "You're gonna make the Black ride the one where we get our hair wet?" and then absolutely fell out at Roy's piece about Disney World being the last place in Florida kids can learn about racism.  His suggestion for the bumper cars - add cops pulling Black drivers over - was perfect.

The George Santos ad cracked me up, especially the "Paid for with money you sent to a dying dog" note at the end.

I also liked Wanda's ranking of politically organized groups:  The Swifties, the Teamsters, and then way down here, the Democrats.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I love the end of the Nia Long interview, when Wanda asks her "You wanna clear that shit up?" about the Black movies and Black famous quote -- I was already laughing when Nia said "You know what I mean" and Wanda replied "I know, but go ahead - for them", and then when Nia turned to the audience and said, "For the white people in the audience ..." HA!

I loved all of Wanda's headlines piece on sending tanks to Ukraine, especially about how long it will take the American tanks to be delivered.  "America is saying 'The delivery window is from June to December; make sure you're home'" and "Louis DeJoy has ruined the post office" made me laugh.

As did Roy, in his piece, saying he'd rather take his chances with the Georgia Ewoks than the cops, so he's heading into the woods with the Forest Defenders people.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've only had a chance to watch Wanda Sykes's first episode so far, but she's killing in like I knew she would.  She's my favorite comedian.

I loved her stuff on Biden's classified documents (I figured she'd bring in her NSA history), about how at this point the FBI is just Marie Kondo-ing Biden's house for him.  "This list of spies does not spark joy."

I also loved her take on the Church of England's stance on gay marriage, equating to hers on destination weddings:  "I ain't gonna be there, but good for y'all."  Same, Wanda, same.

I love the woman in Roy's piece who said a country has a problem when its guns have more rights than its women.

I only know Mike Epps from The Upshaws, so it was interesting hearing them talk about their different types of comedy and different audiences.  That's really cool what he's doing in his hometown.

I was wondering if anyone else was enjoying Wanda this week, as I hadn't seen anyone post. But totally agree with you on all points. I really loved Roy's piece in the U.K.

And I loved how she told the audience she decided to guest-host!

Wanda is such a natural.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love Katha Pollitt, so having her and Wanda together is a show tailor made for me.  They had a nice conversation.  I like Wanda saying "I hope you're right" about Katha sticking with the motto people aren't as evil as they seem.  And Katha's delight at Wanda's idea about a combo abortion-boner pill.

I got a good laugh at Wanda's reaction to the Splash Mountain change being "You're gonna make the Black ride the one where we get our hair wet?" and then absolutely fell out at Roy's piece about Disney World being the last place in Florida kids can learn about racism.  His suggestion for the bumper cars - add cops pulling Black drivers over - was perfect.

The George Santos ad cracked me up, especially the "Paid for with money you sent to a dying dog" note at the end.

I also liked Wanda's ranking of politically organized groups:  The Swifties, the Teamsters, and then way down here, the Democrats.

Oh I absolutely loved the interview segment with Katha Pollitt. And Roy had me in tears with his piece on DisneyWorld.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love the end of the Nia Long interview, when Wanda asks her "You wanna clear that shit up?" about the Black movies and Black famous quote -- I was already laughing when Nia said "You know what I mean" and Wanda replied "I know, but go ahead - for them", and then when Nia turned to the audience and said, "For the white people in the audience ..." HA!

I loved all of Wanda's headlines piece on sending tanks to Ukraine, especially about how long it will take the American tanks to be delivered.  "America is saying 'The delivery window is from June to December; make sure you're home" and "Louis DeJoy has ruined the post office" made me laugh.

As did Roy, in his piece, saying he'd rather take his chances with the Georgia Ewoks than the cops, so he's heading into the woods with the Forest Defenders people.

Ditto!

• Like 2

I loved her suggestion about how to deal with the classified documents involving the Justice Department closing its eyes and counting to 10 and if documents appear on the table, they won't ask questions. 

I know Wanda Sykes has a number of projects, but I would love for her to be the new permanent host. She could be doing this week of guest-hosting as a fun way to earn a paycheck between other projects, but this also could have been a serious audition for her. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

"We already have an app where you can hear Hitler's uncensored views -- it's called Twitter." 

I damn near fell out of my chair laughing at Roy's piece on taking the Missouri patriotism course.  Wanda already had me laughing at her reaction, that if she was a teacher and got offered $3000 to go take this course, she'd say, "I knew this whole time y'all had money for school supplies, while you got me out there giving kids pens I tore off the chains at the bank," and then he knocked that out of the park.  "I'm going back next week as Frederick Douglass."  And those textbooks he's going to plant in classrooms?  I'm dead.

I loved Long Story Short; we need to talk daily in this country about the criminalization of poverty.  Wanda was on fire.  About the number of tickets cops write each year:  "Where do they find the time to shoot people?"  And about a rich person getting a $30 fine:  "Rich people don't even know money goes that low."  And I loved her own ticket story, about one of the tickets being for improperly exiting the HOV lane.  "You were behind me with your lights on -- you MADE me exit."

As a civil rights lawyer, I have particular admiration for Sherrilyn Ifill, so that was another conversation I was excited for (and, on a shallow note, between the two of them, there was some seriously great hair on that stage).  I loved Wanda quoting her saying if she was in the private sector, she'd be on the cover of Forbes magazine, and Sherrilyn saying it's important to say -- she was a superstar there.  I really loved her saying you can't call America a democracy until 1954 (Brown) at the earliest, and really not until 1965 (the VRA).  And she absolutely nailed it on what's different about this Court.  Great talk, and I loved Wanda's "Please give me some hope".  Also saying when she finishes the book, Wanda won't be here, but she's sure they'll have her back and some nice white guy will interview her.  Ha!

This week of Wanda went by too fast, with me watching them all over such a short span of time.  But I loved it; I haven't watched every episode in full in a long time, but I wouldn't miss a minute of her. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, Bastet said:

And about a rich person getting a $30 fine:  "Rich people don't even know money goes that low."

(Paraphrased) "You ask Jeff Bezos for $30, he's like, 'What, do I tear a corner off of this $100 bill?'"

Loved all of Wanda's episodes, she's my favorite so far. Roy was on fire all of last week too. His desk bits with Wanda were amazing--sneaking racism into Disney World rides, taking that patriotism class 20 times. "And Harriet Tubman, you know Harriet Tubman? Was really a white man." Outstanding.

• Like 4

So far, the two hosts I've liked the best are Wanda Sykes and Chelsea Handler. They've kept things on an even keel and not gotten overly vulgar in their presentations. 👍👍 Works well for me on this platform.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought the round table bit on Tuesday with the other commedians was a waste. 

Only a partial waste for me because I turned it off and went to bed.  I think she used to do something similar on another show she had--I used to surf by and always kept on surfing.

I skipped Cosby defender Hughley, and Handler has said some really gross things in the past, but her white privilege documentary showed she was finally trying to educate herself and I haven't come across anything recently.  So I went ahead and watched Monday's episode, but haven't had a chance yet to watch last night's.  I think she did a good job; her previous hosting experience shows.  (I only ever watched bits and pieces of her show, as she was always one of those people who for every thing she said that made a great point, she had some offensive punching down shit in one of her next breaths -- and then always defended it as "comedy can't have boundaries".  So we'll see if that rears its ugly head.)

Time has been good to Chelsea Handler. I think she’s matured alot since her previous E! talk show host days, she seems a lot more focused more self-aware and an informed outspoken activist, yet still funny. I’ve been enjoying seeing her on TDS. I wished I hadn’t missed Wanda Sykes hosting, but I would enjoy ongoing rotational duties between her and Chelsea.

• Like 3