Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Seven Talk

• Start Topic

I liked that bit, too, @grawlix. I didn't care much for it when Dulce did it earlier, but it worked well with Ronny. He's got that belligerent personality that makes people want to argue with him over pointless shit--some of those folks were getting HEATED! I also loved this line (in defense of buckled shoes):  "I don't need people's feet to breathe. I'm not Quentin Tarantino."

One thing I appreciate about Trevor is that, in so many stories about the vaccines, he brings up vaccine inequity around the world. Whether he's talking about antivaxxers, vaccine mandates, or booster shots, he'll often throw in a line or two about an African still waiting on their first dose. For some recent bits, I liked a throwaway remark about Americans having enough vaccines for every man, woman, and emotional support animal, and I loved Trevor's impression of a Nigerian interviewing to join the Taliban for the "health benefits" after hearing that the U.S. is sending vaccines to conflict zones. He's done stories before specifically on that topic, but he slips those reminders into a wide range of vaccine stories.

I wonder if it's time for the show to go back to a half-hour time slot. I find that a lot of the stuff that hasn't been working for me since the relaunch feels like time-killing bits. Like, I enjoy the correspondents chiming in on the headlines when they're ACTUALLY talking about the headlines and the tangents are brief, but when they add in these labored gimmicks, the comic rhythm fumbles. If they didn't have extra time to fill, maybe they'd jettison the shtick and stick with what works.

• Love 2

Whoaaa... are we still in season 7? No comments for 2.5 months? I know there was a hiatus in there, but wowza!

Whoopi Goldberg on Colbert last night was utterly cringeworthy. Can't say I've ever been a fan of hers. That said, the network-issued "time out" is so lame, like "go sit in the corner and think about what you said!"

I love what Trevor did with the Groudhog Day bit. Repeat of last year's jokes about how crazy an African would think our "holiday" to be. I see what you did there. Perfect!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I love what Trevor did with the Groudhog Day bit. Repeat of last year's jokes about how crazy an African would think our "holiday" to be. I see what you did there. Perfect!

He's actually been doing that Groundhog Day bit ever since he took over the show. In season 1, he repeated the same segment, word for word, twice in a row, and now he brings it back every year.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Agreed, and I think it's very reflective of what Trevor wants this new iteration of the show to do. He's someone who's interested in nuance and "messiness," someone who'd rather converse than condemn. I like that India.Arie and Trevor didn't have all the same opinions on the Joe Rogan stuff, that they both explained different views to the other and each saw where the other was coming from, even if they didn't come to a "consensus" on every point.

I liked what Trevor said about how, until society offers a viable path to "redemption," people are just going to dig in their heels and throw out the old "I don't have a racist bone in my body" line despite the WILDLY racist things they say/do. And at the same time, I really loved what India.Arie said about how Rogan could be doing more to lead his listeners in a new direction if he was truly interested in being better, because he hasn't really demonstrated any interest in that. As she said, simply giving a (half-assed) apology didn't lead his followers to understanding, it just made them lash out viciously at the Black woman who dared to "attack" him.

Edited by angora
technical glitch
  • Love 4

Hasan and Trevor were dressed in the same colors in reverse! The same burnt orange and black, with one of them having the orange shirt and black coat/pants and the other one vice versa. 

I realize that is the least interesting thing about their interview, but still-- it tickled me. 

• LOL 1
On 2/3/2022 at 1:00 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Whoaaa... are we still in season 7? No comments for 2.5 months? I know there was a hiatus in there, but wowza!

I kept meaning to post.

On 2/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, DrSparkles said:

That India.Arie conversation was perfection.

My fear is Joe Rogan taking over all TV. “Okay, so I had a spell cast on me where I gain power anytime my name is said out loud. India put me over the top, so I’m basically a god now. Haven’t decided if I’ll be a good guy or an asshole. Thanks, India!”

I never got into Reading Rainbow, but I can understand anyone’s stomach sinking watching a bit where LeVar Burton keeps getting overruled on his book choices, even if he was good with the gag.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, Ailianna said:

I'm pretty sure Trevor is in dark navy, not black. Sorry.

I can't tell. Either my eyes or my TV are seeing it as black. But, either way, the orange was distinctive, and I still think they were wearing each other's colors in reverse. I found it amusing. 

I like also that he's still promoting charities. Everyone else who started doing that during the pandemic has stopped.

I also like that he's gone back to bringing on interviewees who aren't being heard on every other show.

When they first came back from hiatus, it seemed like the show had lost its way. But it seems to be getting its mojo back. I also noticed they finally dropped the irritating "correspondent sitting on stage interrupting and mostly scolding Trevor".

I still think the new studio looks terrible, though. It's gloomy, badly lit, and looks super cheap. I don't mind a low cost studio. I don't need fancy. But it looks... stale, uncomfortable, claustrophobic, and distractingly bad. It also makes me think of Charlie Rose-- his studio was even darker, but it had the same kind of fundamental design. It's weird, because I've seen much smaller, simpler, and less decorated spaces and they don't bother me. Something about this studio just really seems awful. It looks like it has bad indoor air quality.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I liked Trevor talking about the situation of women in abusive relationships. We need more men to address the issue.

But I can't stand the format, with the multiple cameras, cameras moving and swaying, and Trevor talking into space.  And segments like this tend to ramble. 

I'm with @ruby24 from six months ago--the at-home format was gold, and became must-watch TV for me.  Now I'll watch it if I surf by, but I certainly don't make a point of it. 

On 3/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I liked Trevor talking about the situation of women in abusive relationships. We need more men to address the issue.

Agreed. I didn't know about Trevor's mom beating in an abusive relationship for years. It definitely still affects Trevor deeply. 

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But I can't stand the format, with the multiple cameras, cameras moving and swaying, and Trevor talking into space.  And segments like this tend to ramble. 

I'm with @ruby24 from six months ago--the at-home format was gold, and became must-watch TV for me.  Now I'll watch it if I surf by, but I certainly don't make a point of it. 

I understand how you feel. I miss the intimacy and humor of Trevor at home, but I also liked the original studio format. 

But the current format is a terribly hybrid. I also don't like the multiple cameras--unless it's a cut to do an impersonation or a little kid character. But still no studio audience--and yet he looks around the room as he talks, which means he's clearly talking to someone--not just the different cameras. But unless he's giving the headlines, it doesn't feel like he's talking to me or an audience.  It's very weird.

Can't he do the show in front of a small studio audience at this point? As a performer, Trevor plays for laughs. It must be hard not getting those laughs for two over years. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Can't he do the show in front of a small studio audience at this point? As a performer, Trevor plays for laughs. It must be hard not getting those laughs for two over years. 

Isn’t he going back to the old studio with an audience soon? I read it somewhere. 

• Love 2

He mentioned that the show was going back to having a live audience, but if he said that it would be on hiatus for a month, I missed it. He already took a long holiday break in Dec/Jan, and now this. I loves me some Trevor, but damn, he takes a lot of time off. 

• Love 3

So when my netflix password got hacked when a family member vacationed in Puerto Rico and i subsequently learned it was being used in South America, i'll now have to pay for that, even though i changed my password right away?  not cool netflix.

VR meetings?  really?  don't we already do that on zoom?

Question: what is the deal with the older lady who has popped up at the start of the new episodes?

Nice to have the show back with an audience. Looks like they're sticking to 45 minutes, and Trevor isn't going to clip his quarantine-era hair. Also: not only did Jordan Klepper "cover" CPAC, he also went to Hungary for a special that airs next week.

• Love 3

It's wild to see how reinvigorated Trevor is to have the audience back. Even though I think he pivoted to remote episodes better than any other late-night host, you could tell things were wearing on him, especially in the last few months. He was so energized all this week, and I enjoyed his little asides to the audience, like assuring them he was okay when he told the story of hanging out under his mom's desk at work.

• Love 3

He said he would never wear a suit again and now he's back in the suit.

He revitalized the entire show during the pandemic and now he's back to the pale imitation of predecessors that he was before.

I don't get it. 

• Love 3

I find it to be like a new show again. Trevor seems delighted to be back with real live people again, and why wouldn’t he? He’s a stage performer, after all. Comedians thrive on audience reaction. 

I don’t get the old lady intro, but whatever. It’s easy to skip.

And Trevor back in a suit? Yes, please. Yowza. Just because he said he’d never wear a suit again, doesn’t make it legally binding. Lots of people said during the pandemic that they would never wear heels again or never wanted to go back to the office or would never buy groceries in person again. But guess what? That kind of homebound slogginess wears on you. Now, many people are happy to go back to the office to interact with other humans (much like Trevor), they enjoy dressing up again, and they like the tactile pleasure of grocery shopping in person. Sure, some people have become perma-hermits but most people aren’t wired for that. So if Trevor decides he does want to wear a suit again, I’m all for it.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Shermie said:

I find it to be like a new show again. Trevor seems delighted to be back with real live people again, and why wouldn’t he? He’s a stage performer, after all. Comedians thrive on audience reaction. 

I don’t get the old lady intro, but whatever. It’s easy to skip.

And Trevor back in a suit? Yes, please. Yowza. Just because he said he’d never wear a suit again, doesn’t make it legally binding. Lots of people said during the pandemic that they would never wear heels again or never wanted to go back to the office or would never buy groceries in person again. But guess what? That kind of homebound slogginess wears on you. Now, many people are happy to go back to the office to interact with other humans (much like Trevor), they enjoy dressing up again, and they like the tactile pleasure of grocery shopping in person. Sure, some people have become perma-hermits but most people aren’t wired for that. So if Trevor decides he does want to wear a suit again, I’m all for it.

All this! I'm much more introverted than most. I'm the type who's happy having my family and a few good friends. But barely seeing or talking to anyone for extended periods and working in sweatpants gets old. I enjoy the days of going into the office even if working from home is a privilege I treasure. During the height of covid, I was scared of coworker interactions, but now I LOVE seeing people. And I do dress up! Maybe even wear heels sometimes. There are things that might be more work to some, but are tremendously beneficial to my mental health. Sitting around and not making the best of yourself is just not healthy past a day or two for most of us. Like, I never got the people who'd say they ditch showers during covid. I feel so much better when I'm fresh and clean. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
On 4/16/2022 at 10:11 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Can't wait for that. I hope they put it all on youtube.

They did, it's rather good, I think. Of course, there's ton of stuff they could cover, but I guess it was a good summation. 

One missed opportunity: Jordan should have brought a map with him to that conservative gathering and ask everyone who started to wax poetic about Hungary to find it on a map. I'm sure the success rate would be great 😉.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The show seems to me to just be the same show it was before the pandemic. 

I really hated the interim studio. I likes the "at home" shows a lot, but the temporary studio was creepy and dark and looked like it had bad IAQ. So, compared to that interim set up, the return to the loud audience in the super-brightly lit studio is a relief. But I would have been perfectly happy of they continued the pandemic shows forever. I just don't get anything out of the noisy audience and bright lights and suits and other trappings. But I'm not angry that they're back, since I was used to it from before the pandemic anyway.

• Love 1

I liked the work Jordan did that they showed on this week's shows. I had grown tired and a bit irritated by his field pieces where he showcased the dumbassery of people at the rallies, but the tone of this week's "reports" was very different. You can feel how tired of it he is, how it's not funny anymore, and I thought it was worthwhile to highlight the situation. I also was very glad he showed the Hungarian opposition, which I had not heard anything about before. I figure there is always some opposition even in the most oppressive places, but it's nice to have that confirmed.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Is the show off this week? Yesterday was a rerun when a new episode was scheduled.

I can't find any news, even on Twitter, but today is another rerun listed as a new episode. Wed & Thurs are listed as repeats and the show appears to be off for the following two weeks.

9 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I just read his grandmother(Gogo) passed away. 🙁

So sad, may she rest in peace. My favorite part of Trevor's book is the story of him doing something... very scatalogically naughty and his grandma thinking is was supernatural in nature. Bless her.

• Love 3

I'm glad that the episode when Trevor goes back to South Africa was re-aired this week (still need to watch my recording of it, though), because I'll never forget the ending, with Trevor's mock-shocked reaction when Dave Chappelle turns up at the grandmother's house.

• Love 1

Kudos to Trevor for managing to stay calm and light in the moment but, oof, that Kellyanne Conway interview was rough. I can feel how much slime she oozes through the screen. He managed to call her out and kind of direct her back to what the actual topic was in a chill manner, but I definitely would not have had the same chill ability. "You're doing the thing everyone said you would do!" (Paraphrase)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, BookThief said:

Kudos to Trevor for managing to stay calm and light in the moment but, oof, that Kellyanne Conway interview was rough.

I have it on now. How was this a good idea? Trevor has been in mourning, he’s coming back to the show . . . and his first interview is the person that came up with the concept of “alternative facts”? Seriously?

Looks like Ronnie might have his version of Roy’s “C.P. Time.” Pretty educational stuff on Asian-Americans in sports.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, BookThief said:

Kudos to Trevor for managing to stay calm and light in the moment but, oof, that Kellyanne Conway interview was rough. I can feel how much slime she oozes through the screen. He managed to call her out and kind of direct her back to what the actual topic was in a chill manner, but I definitely would not have had the same chill ability. "You're doing the thing everyone said you would do!" (Paraphrase)

I couldn’t watch it but glad he handled it well. 

Kellyanne is just slimy. Every sentence out of her mouth was double speak. It was actually hard to keep up with what she was saying because she was so busy saying nothing.  Trevor asked her a yes or no question "is what you said different from what Trump said" and she couldn't fix her face to say it. It felt like she was prepping for a president run of her own. 

• Love 2

I thought he did a good job of letting her show herself for who she is while remaining absolutely professional. And his willingness to have conversations with those he disagrees with and attempt adult exchanges of ideas certainly not only enhances his credibility but makes it impossible to say he's refusing to be balanced. He didn't push the book as much as usual and he seemed more to be trying to get her to commit to a view, which I was surprised how hard she seemed to find it to just pick a lane. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I wonder if he reads every book that is promoted on the show, and if so how long before they appear. He always seems like he's read whats being promoted but...he's good at his job. Someone on staff who's familiar with his pov could have written him really good notes. I wonder that every time an author comes on with a book to push, especially when he has multiple authors a week.

Has Trevor mentioned the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial and verdict? I know there was a throwaway line about the verdict coming up a few days ago but I don't remember Trevor talking about it at all. I don't know why I expect him to or want him to but here I am. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2022 at 4:23 PM, Ailianna said:

I thought he did a good job of letting her show herself for who she is while remaining absolutely professional. And his willingness to have conversations with those he disagrees with and attempt adult exchanges of ideas certainly not only enhances his credibility but makes it impossible to say he's refusing to be balanced. He didn't push the book as much as usual and he seemed more to be trying to get her to commit to a view, which I was surprised how hard she seemed to find it to just pick a lane. 

Whenever you have somebody on you're promoting them though. That's the whole point.

• Love 2

I'm watching the June 24th show with Jordan Klepper talking to people at a Trump rally about the hearings and what they think. I didn't expact anyone's mind to be changed (loved the guy who thought that it was an Ivanka clone saying that she believes Barr, they clone now, right?)  but the two young women who had never heard of the hearings and January 6th, 'Is that the election day?' ...  how can they go to a Trump rally but be so unaware of even the election date? 

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

. . . the two young women who had never heard of the hearings and January 6th, 'Is that the election day?' ...  how can they go to a Trump rally but be so unaware of even the election date? 

Paid seat-fillers?

Another painful segment from Jordan that I made myself watch because I need to keep being upset. Seriously, he does great work . . . better than anything he did on The Opposition . . . but the trips must grind his soul to dust.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:14 AM, ruby24 said:

Is it me or can Trevor not pronounce January 6th right? He keeps saying "sicth"

I dunno. Ever watch Last Week Tonight and hear John Oliver use British pronunciations? Like "zebra" is "zed-bra" and "aluminum" becomes a completely different word. It's probably the same for Trevor.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm watching the June 24th show with Jordan Klepper talking to people at a Trump rally about the hearings and what they think. I didn't expact anyone's mind to be changed (loved the guy who thought that it was an Ivanka clone saying that she believes Barr, they clone now, right?)  but the two young women who had never heard of the hearings and January 6th, 'Is that the election day?' ...  how can they go to a Trump rally but be so unaware of even the election date? 

There was one guy a long time ago that Jordan seemed to make think and perhaps change his mind, in one of these videos. I had some hope for that one older guy here... but it apparently didn't help.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:58 PM, Lantern7 said:

Another painful segment from Jordan that I made myself watch because I need to keep being upset. Seriously, he does great work . . . better than anything he did on The Opposition . . . but the trips must grind his soul to dust.

Anderson Cooper interviewed him on CNN the other day, with respect to this segment.  At one point Klepper called himself a "historian" of this type of thing, and it did sound like his soul is none the better for it.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2