Type keyword(s) to search

Only Speculation Without Spoilers In the Thread

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Episode 3: The murder had very small feet, so it was probably a woman.

Well, they were in giant boots, so they didn't look all that small to me.  I'll have to re-watch. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ajsnaves said:

It looked to me like they were having trouble walking normally. I wonder if they were large boots on small feet?

Or Bunny's elderly mom (Shirley MacLaine)?

Here's a picture of the painting (in spoiler tags for sensitive viewers since it has "balls forward"). 😲

Spoiler

OMITB-painting.thumb.jpg.9aa8396d4ece9db

And now, after looking at the poses of the figures in the painting, and having painted in oils from live models in the 60s, I'm guessing that is Bunny's mom posing with Charles' dad, and that they were both paid models, and if the artist was killed (no body was ever found, right?) it would have been a crime of jealousy.

Edited by shapeshifter
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here's a picture of the painting (in spoiler tags for sensitive viewers since it has "balls forward"). 😲

Hide contents

OMITB-painting.thumb.jpg.9aa8396d4ece9db

I'm stuck on the woman model looking like Jan. I know it can't be Jan, but the resemblance is uncanny to me.

I'm kind of hoping the Rose Cooper plot doesn't become further intertwined in the parents of the current crop of Arconia characters, like Charles' father was having an affair with Jan's mother or something.

• Useful 1

So here is my wild theory on who killed Bunny. So as we know Charles' dad was having an affair with Rose AND Leonora. What if Leonora killed Rose & framed Charles' dad? Leading to him serving time in prison. Now we never see Charle's dad's body, hear about a funeral or see any reference to ashes. What if Charles' dad is still alive, hiding out & decided to get back at Leonora by killing Bunny & taking the panting to get the money. I figure if Leonora isn't too old to murder Bunny then neither is Charles' dad. 

I also don't think Cara Delevigne plays any part in Bunny's murder. I think she is another red herring. I personally think she is using Mabel for clout & noroiety. She knows that Mabel is trending & very popular. In the art world being either dead or infamous causes your stock to rise. If she is with Mabel her own stock will rise. I think that's why she not only got the art destruction on tape I think it's why the kiss is also on the tape. I wouldn't be surprised to see her sell the destroyed piece of art & showing the video on insta to jack up the price/interest. Also I found her aggression in dealing with people talking to Mabel about Bunny's murder a little "thou doth protest to much". She was over aggressive with the one guy who brought up the hashtag. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I still think Shirley MacLaine’s character is Rose (not necessarily the killer). When she was talking to Charles about having an affair with his father, he said something along the lines of, “you AND Rose?” She said yes, kind of fumbled and said she didn’t “do well this time of day,” which made me think she had confused herself & was covering. She also spoke of Rose too personally, mentioning that some women have to run away & artists only get noticed after they disappear/die. I think she was calling Bunny about the painting. If she is impersonating Big Bunny, I assume she’s also a misdirect for the murder. 

• Useful 2

It struck me last night, as I couldn't sleep, that something is possibly up with the timeline.

In 2x3, Bunny gives the trio an unopened bottle of champagne and then, within minutes, returns to her apartment. The trio immediately goes up to the roof, with that single unopened bottle of champagne, at the same exact time we see the presumed murderer arrive on Floor 12. We then ostensibly witness Bunny get stabbed in Bunny's apartment. The trio runs out of alcohol on the roof - "all I know is that we've run out of champagne," Mabel says. Mabel returns to her apartment, where Bunny is still alive and standing.

How long would it take those three to empty even one big bottle of champagne? Minutes? An hour? Two hours? Which makes me wonder...did the murderer not immediately kill Bunny? Did the murderer stop somewhere else on Floor 12 before killing Bunny? Or did our trio gulp down that bottle of champagne within minutes of going to the roof?

FWIW, it looks like the presumed murderer's elevator possibly came from Floor 6 or Floor 7, based on where the arrow was pointing before it moved to 12. Do we know of anyone who lives on 6 or 7?

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

So here is my wild theory on who killed Bunny. So as we know Charles' dad was having an affair with Rose AND Leonora. What if Leonora killed Rose & framed Charles' dad? Leading to him serving time in prison. Now we never see Charle's dad's body, hear about a funeral or see any reference to ashes. What if Charles' dad is still alive, hiding out & decided to get back at Leonora by killing Bunny & taking the panting to get the money. I figure if Leonora isn't too old to murder Bunny then neither is Charles' dad. 

I also don't think Cara Delevigne plays any part in Bunny's murder. I think she is another red herring. I personally think she is using Mabel for clout & noroiety. She knows that Mabel is trending & very popular. In the art world being either dead or infamous causes your stock to rise. If she is with Mabel her own stock will rise. I think that's why she not only got the art destruction on tape I think it's why the kiss is also on the tape. I wouldn't be surprised to see her sell the destroyed piece of art & showing the video on insta to jack up the price/interest. Also I found her aggression in dealing with people talking to Mabel about Bunny's murder a little "thou doth protest to much". She was over aggressive with the one guy who brought up the hashtag. 

I like your speculation, except: Are we 100% sure Charles' father had an affair with Rose and/or Leonora? 

I'm still stuck on the idea of Charles' father just being a paid model for the painting. I can imagine he would rather the doorman think he was having an affair. 

Perhaps Charles' father was in the closet/gay? But at this point, that seems difficult to write into the plot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 2 murderer speculation: I hope it is not the Delavigne character because that would be kind of obvious (mysterious lady befriends one of the suspects out of the blue, etc.). Also, it would sort of be a repeat of Jan being the murderer (suspect involved with the actual murderer).

• Like 2
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Season 2 murderer speculation: I hope it is not the Delavigne character because that would be kind of obvious (mysterious lady befriends one of the suspects out of the blue, etc.). Also, it would sort of be a repeat of Jan being the murderer (suspect involved with the actual murderer).

Which episode did Jan first appear in, in Season 1? It's possible we've not yet met the murderer, but that's not playing fair with the audience. The murderer should be introduced early early in a book, movie, or tv show.  

15 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Which episode did Jan first appear in, in Season 1? It's possible we've not yet met the murderer, but that's not playing fair with the audience. The murderer should be introduced early early in a book, movie, or tv show.  

Jan showed up in Episode 3. A nice touch, though, was that early in Episode 1 when Charles is getting ready to listen to Cinda's podcast, Jan's bassoon (recording) is prominent, which actually tied into how she planned the murder. All the clues were there early in season 1 but they were very subtle and the Dimases were a huge misdirect. I'm less hopeful for season 2, as I'm seeing signs that the writers are holding back and we don't know everything the characters know, which kinda makes it a free-for-all.

My biggest thought of the day is... Was there anyone in the background of the "how does it feel to be the most hated person in the building, you cranky old bitch" scene between Mabel and Bunny? That scene was specifically shown again in season 2, and I have a feeling that the killer was there and figured they could use the public display of animosity to build a frame job. Kind of like Theo being in the flashback of Mabel party drinking the night Zoe died - such a tiny detail that ended up being huge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
41 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

Jan showed up in Episode 3. A nice touch, though, was that early in Episode 1 when Charles is getting ready to listen to Cinda's podcast, Jan's bassoon (recording) is prominent, which actually tied into how she planned the murder. All the clues were there early in season 1 but they were very subtle and the Dimases were a huge misdirect. I'm less hopeful for season 2, as I'm seeing signs that the writers are holding back and we don't know everything the characters know, which kinda makes it a free-for-all.

My biggest thought of the day is... Was there anyone in the background of the "how does it feel to be the most hated person in the building, you cranky old bitch" scene between Mabel and Bunny? That scene was specifically shown again in season 2, and I have a feeling that the killer was there and figured they could use the public display of animosity to build a frame job. Kind of like Theo being in the flashback of Mabel party drinking the night Zoe died - such a tiny detail that ended up being huge.

I have similar thoughts for all the people they had to walk past when they were taken into custody at the end of season 1. Was the murderer there, watching them be arrested? 

Dragging over from the episode thread:

5 hours ago, dovegrey said:

Maybe Bunny beat the odds, faked her death, and is enjoying the terrible heat of Boca Raton in witness protection... 🍷

While I don't think Bunny is in Boca, is it possible she is still alive? 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, dovegrey said:

How long would it take those three to empty even one big bottle of champagne? Minutes? An hour? Two hours?

If it takes those three, who do not seem unknown to alcohol, and hour to empty that bottle they're doing something wrong.  I don't think Bunny was killed that close to when she came down. I figured it was probably about 30 minutes, roughly. Enough to get something to eat and drink, settle in and get the tv on. I don't know why 30 minutes, just about what I probably would take.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

If it takes those three, who do not seem unknown to alcohol, and hour to empty that bottle they're doing something wrong.  I don't think Bunny was killed that close to when she came down. I figured it was probably about 30 minutes, roughly. Enough to get something to eat and drink, settle in and get the tv on. I don't know why 30 minutes, just about what I probably would take.

That sounds like a real waste of a nice big bottle of real champagne and the wrong way to drink it LOL. Charles and Oliver didn't appear very intoxicated to me, so I assumed they were pacing themselves and actually enjoying the champagne. Mabel was stumbly; maybe she smashed it like a six pack of Bud Light, haha. 

I didn't see Bunny eating or drinking anything; she gave Mrs. Gambolini a peanut, which I assumed was usually there for the bird. I don't think it would take her 30 minutes to sit down and turn on the TV, but, yeah, she could have done something in between. We know she didn't change her clothes.

• Useful 2

My (current) guess is whomever she ate with the day before/person who phoned her after she stopped for a bagel and she hung up on them.

I don’t think it’s any of the residents or building staff — Bunny knew her killer but the killer didn’t belong in that context. She was surprised and immediately hostile — so even it it were someone like Ivan the waiter, she’d be confused but not necessarily instantly threatened. 

Big Bunny has means, motive and opportunity, but is she physically capable? I don’t think it’s the art gallery owner simply bc I don’t think the writers would make the LGBTQ character the bad guy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I saw this speculation on Reddit. Lots of people think the feet of the killer looked like a female's feet, & someone said they thought the shadow looked like it was Charles wearing his hat, so they were wondering if it could have been Saz. My speculation is that if it was her, Bunny was just a convenient victim. What Saz could be doing is trying to break up the podcast by getting Mabel convicted of murder. The reason being that if the podcast kept being so successful, Charles might not want to do the Brazzos reboot, & Saz wouldn't be needed for the job as his stunt double.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

But would Saz be that insistant enough to kill? From what I  gathered Charles has been pretty much not working for a while. Saz would already be out of work for a while and I would not expect her to be counting on work from Charles. 

Also how would Saz have a relationship with Bunny so that Bunny would be that familiar with her. Bunny really barely knows our 3 detectives IMHO. But of course we are only 3 episodes in so what do I know? Lol.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Howard is the killer. Based on him being a suspect last season. Ha!

The board minutes he gave the podcast trio for their murder board read to me as if he was rooting for Nina and referred to Bunny as "that bitch." Once Bunny and Nina started arguing, his minutes went from a verbatim record to catty commentary. It had me wondering if he had something to gain from Bunny retiring from the board. Would that have elevated Howard from minute-taker/parliamentarian to a better role on the board, maybe?

It was very odd that he bruised his eye after the board meeting and then tried to insert himself into the trio's sleuthing in 2x2. Really seems like that bruise happened in the timeframe for Bunny's murder.

I could also see him being upset, in Howard's way, that the original podcast didn't give more attention to how Jan killed Evelyn via the poison in Tim's blood, thus the framing of Mabel. Didn't Howard say he had figured out Jan Did It way before the trio did? Did Howard put the note on Jan's door, then?

I very much still think the painting is a red herring, a la the Dimas/jewelry/Zoe plot last season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I very much still think the painting is a red herring, a la the Dimas/jewelry/Zoe plot last season.

I also think Howard is a red herring, they're making him too obvious.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dovegrey said:

The board minutes he gave the podcast trio for their murder board read to me as if he was rooting for Nina and referred to Bunny as "that bitch." Once Bunny and Nina started arguing, his minutes went from a verbatim record to catty commentary. It had me wondering if he had something to gain from Bunny retiring from the board. Would that have elevated Howard from minute-taker/parliamentarian to a better role on the board, maybe?

It was very odd that he bruised his eye after the board meeting and then tried to insert himself into the trio's sleuthing in 2x2. Really seems like that bruise happened in the timeframe for Bunny's murder.

I could also see him being upset, in Howard's way, that the original podcast didn't give more attention to how Jan killed Evelyn via the poison in Tim's blood, thus the framing of Mabel. Didn't Howard say he had figured out Jan Did It way before the trio did? Did Howard put the note on Jan's door, then?

Plus, last year Bunny told him there had been numerous complaints about smells coming from his apartment. 😨 

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think they're making him obvious.  I'm curious about how interested he is in Mrs. Gambolini.  All the people who were at the board meeting, someone had a key to Bunny's apartment to get in to do the decorations. 

I was thinking (musing) along the lines of Jan was trying to steer the trio toward Howard as a possible suspect in Tim Kono's murder, wouldn't it be interesting if she saw something in Howard?  I don't know, it's just fun to speculate.  🥳 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I agree that he's too obvious, but I pegged Jan as a red herring due to total sheer obviousness early last season and foo-foo'd away some of the more subtle-but-obvious signs it was her all along. So, I don't know, and I give credit to the show for making another good guessing game. If the writers follow the same playbook, which I kind of hope they don't, the "twist" will come out of the primary storyline being unrelated to the murder rather than who actually did it.

I'm really hoping it's not the Totally Super Obvious Cara Delevingne character. I'd take Sting killing Bunny and skipping town, thereby leaving his apartment available for Amy Schumer, over Delevingne Did It LOL. 😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

All the people who were at the board meeting, someone had a key to Bunny's apartment to get in to do the decorations. 

She's not on the board, but we know Uma has a key to Bunny's place. I don't think that she'd have a problem giving it to Howard so he could decorate for her Bunny. I do think Howard is/was up to something, not sure what yet.

ETA: We got a new suspect, kids! (possibly belongs in media}

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
14 hours ago, dovegrey said:

Didn't Howard say he had figured out Jan Did It way before the trio did?

In episode 8, when everybody on the Internet figured out that Jan was the killer. I think it was a meta nod to the viewers. It didn't help that the show never had a large pool of viable suspects to begin with.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

This season seems to very much about the relationships between father & child. It's why I still think that Charles' dad plays a part in all this. He would have known about the passageways thanks to Lenora. I am hoping that we get more info on Charles' dad because there is so much mystery surrounding him & the building. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Digressing for a moment to speculate on future seasons (since the show was renewed for a season 3 🤸‍♀️) and dragging this over from the 2.4 Here's Looking At You [Kid] episode:

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Someone reported in the media thread that Hulu has already given the green light to a 3rd season.  So now I'm watching with an eye towards what they might do with a 3rd season.  A 3rd murder might be a bit much, but it is the premise of the show, so who knows.

From the first episode and replayed in 2.4 is Shirley MacLaine's (Leonora, Bunny's erstwhile mom) voice:

• "Built in 1908 to help establish the Upper West Side by architect and infamous playboy Archibald Carter, the Arconia was his fourth building of this style in as many countries. ( door shuts ) Each of Archibald's buildings have little secrets known only to the architect himself.”

Maybe they'll eventually change the show title to "Only Murders in the Buildings" (with a plural "Buildings").
With similar buildings in other countries, our famous podcasters might secure a gig in Paris or somewhere else, where they would be paid to figure out a murder in one of the similar buildings. I could imagine Steve Martin and/or Martin Short playing 2 roles: themselves and their French (or British or Italian or whatever) counterparts.

Edited by shapeshifter
36 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They also might not solve the murder this season, but solve the art theft and all that too. There's a lot more going on than last season. 

As long as we figure out who put the notes on Oliver's and Jan's doors, and who poisoned poor Winnie last season.

(edited)

Why a note written by Howard was found in Jan’s trash that Tim Kono helped her to dispose?

BB7B3AB6-CEDD-42A2-AC8A-FAA01806654E.jpeg

If Howard and Jan are friends, then why Jan kept trying to get the trio to look into Howard?

Is Howard capable of murder?

Did Howard steal or help someone to steal the painting from Bunny’s apartment? Clues: 

(1) His delayed reaction when Uma pointed out the painting is missing seemed so fake.

(2) He decorated Bunny’s apartment for the retirement party, so he has access.

(3) He moved Mrs. Gambolini from the bedroom to the living room, so she couldn’t see him taking the painting off the bedroom’s wall?

What does Howard do for a living?

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

(3) He moved Mrs. Gambolini from the bedroom to the living room, so she couldn’t see him taking the painting off the bedroom’s wall?

Howard said it was so Mrs. Gambolini could join the party, knowing his love of animals, I think this is legit. Howard probably felt more comfortable at the party knowing he could hang out with Mrs. Gambolini, instead of the people.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • Is Howard going to be a red shirt?

Someone is.  

Spoiler

They show someone being zipped up in a body bag in the commercials for the show, and it isn't Bunny.

Hi. After reading your posts and watching the first four episodes, I would like to share my guess:

- two people entered Bunny's apartment the night of the murder. One of them to kill her a different one to steal the painting. They are two different people because: (1) Bunny is surprised by the visitor, but not by his clothes. (2) It doesn't make sense to enter to steal a painting and then kill the woman with many stabs with Martin's knife.

- the thief is around the same height as Mabel (comparing both scenes of the passages), and she has wide hips, so I think she is a woman. Or maybe two women if, as somebody said, the shoes are different from the elevator scene.

- On the other hand I bet the murderer is a man, because we already had a mad woman in the first season (very weak motive BTW). There are no real clues yet. I will say the killer is Nina's lover because: (1) he is the only character that has no other reason to be in the show. Nina wouldn't need an accomplice for the building business and the sex scene with a pregnant woman is totally avoidable, and (2) the motive for the crime would be clear, because Bunny wouldn't allow the suspicious business with the building.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I still sort of wonder if the murder and the painting/art fraud might be completely unrelated.  Similar to how the Dimas was not connected to Tim Kono's murder at all.

• Like 1

I’m wondering if the painting was even stolen. Maybe Bunny sold it years ago and had a copy made. Maybe it’s in storage somewhere.  I think the painting is unrelated to the whole thing. It’s just a distraction. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, dovegrey said:

The trio immediately goes up to the roof, with that single unopened bottle of champagne,

If the bottle they take to the roof is Bunny's bottle, yeah, it doesn't make sense.  But if they set the unopened bottle down and took a bottle they had already started to the roof, it makes sense that they ran out in the time period.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:28 PM, grandmabegum said:

I don't think that she'd have a problem giving it to Howard so he could decorate for her Bunny. I do think Howard is/was up to something, not sure what yet.

When Howard gives Charles his key back, saying it was in the door (and the comments about Charles not knowing how to lock up properly), I thought maybe Howard had made a copy and gave that story as a way to return the original key. ( Did we see Charles unlock the door when they went in? )  He could have made a key of Bunny's when Uma loaned him the key to decorate.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, MollyB said:

If the bottle they take to the roof is Bunny's bottle, yeah, it doesn't make sense.  But if they set the unopened bottle down and took a bottle they had already started to the roof, it makes sense that they ran out in the time period.

It was the unopened bottle that Bunny gave them. The shot of it was clear when they were in the elevator. 

As a general comment, I was wondering last night if Nina or her husband were unhappy with the podcast stirring up negative press about the Arconia just as Nina was preparing to take over the board and monetize the building. She would have been preparing for all of that when Tim was killed, since Bunny was killed just two months after Tim and the show is currently still set in March 2021. I think she or her husband poisoned Winnie and left the note on Oliver’s door to stop the podcast. I don’t think they’re involved in Bunny’s murder though. And I think Howard left the note for Jan because he figured out she killed Evelyn via Tim. Not sure if or how all that would tie into the painting and Bunny’s death, though. 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, MollyB said:

When Howard gives Charles his key back, saying it was in the door (and the comments about Charles not knowing how to lock up properly), I thought maybe Howard had made a copy and gave that story as a way to return the original key. ( Did we see Charles unlock the door when they went in? )  He could have made a key of Bunny's when Uma loaned him the key to decorate.

Charles was distraught, because when he opened the door the first thing that he saw was the missing painting, he dropped his groceries and immediately called the gang to see what to do. I can imagine that he might have left his keys in the door for Howard to discover, if Charles immediately saw the painting.

• Useful 2

Anyone else a little suspicious of Lucy? Charles mentions she brought a bag with her. She finds the murder weapon. She’s very familiar with the secret passageways. She hides from him when he’s heading up with Mabel. Not sure of her motive yet but found some of her actions suspicious.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Emcber said:

Anyone else a little suspicious of Lucy? Charles mentions she brought a bag with her. She finds the murder weapon. She’s very familiar with the secret passageways. She hides from him when he’s heading up with Mabel. Not sure of her motive yet but found some of her actions suspicious.

No. Lucy doesn't seem like a stabby kid, either in terms of personality or physicality.

1 hour ago, Emcber said:

I think it's established that she'd hiding something. When he said she brought a bag it was because she wanted to stay with him, which I think she did--but she hasn't come clean on exactly why yet. She's in some kind of trouble or distress, but I don't think she's working against the group. The murder weapon was sitting in Charles' kitchen so somebody would have found it sooner or later just the way she did.

• Like 1
(edited)

I can see Bunny reacting the way she did if she recognized Lucy. “What are you doing here?” So Lucy tried to frame everyone because Charles told her he was busy when he was spending the night celebrating with Oliver and Mabel. Her Mom chose the new stepdad over her, and then the man Lucy considered her most important paternal figure — the one she reached out to — chose his friends over her. She killed Bunny in a fit of rage to frame the podcasters.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No. Lucy doesn't seem like a stabby kid, either in terms of personality or physicality.

No she doesn't, but she does seem like someone who could accidentally stab someone & find herself in a lot of trouble she never planned on.