Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Seven Episode Talk

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry. Is that because the potato 🥔 is representative of people beset by hard times and hunger—–whether due to harsh climate or social conditions–—and whether Russian or Irish?  

It turned out to be a longer text than I anticipated, so I'm putting it in spoiler tags to spare anyone who doesn't care for my unhinged rant about potatoes.

Spoiler

It doesn't make much sense to me. First, potatoes are native to Americas and they were only brought to Europe and Asia after the collonisation in 16th century. And they are a staple in many countries' cuisine, just ask the British about their chips.

Here, in Slovakia, at least half of our traditional national dishes are based on potatoes. And those are our own recipes, with no influence from russian cuisine. It's mostly due to much of our contry being in mountainous terrain, where it was often one of few things possible to produce. Like shapeshifter said, it is a food associated with poorer regions (which at some point in time were in most of the world).

Personally, I am a vegetarian and can be quite picky about food, so I usually have at least 3-4 meals in a week with potatoes as main ingredient. Not to mention that few times when I had undiagnosed problems with stomach, potato soup was one of few meals that I could eat without my stomach feeling sick.

What I am trying to say is, I love potatoes and I refuse to have them associated with russia, no matter how much Stephen tries. I know he doesn't mean anything bad with it, but as usual, can be clueless. (As everyone, I am sure that I am equally clueless about a lot of stuff related to cultures I know nothing about.) I just wish he would stop with the joke. Any connection to russia is currently making my blood boil, especially if anyone makes any kind of association between them and other Slavic nations. We are all civilized people, while russia is a cancer of the world that keeps returning. That whole concept of Slavic countries being close is BS in the first place, but that would be a rant on its own.

I didn't mean to post such a long rant, but this is what 6 weeks of constant sadness, fear and anger is turning me into, being offended by any small stuff. Sigh.

I still love Stephen and I really appreciate that he keeps covering the war to such extent, especially seeing that some others don't (*cough* John Oliver *cough*). This is just one thing that bugs me about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Could they be using potatoes due to borscht being tough   to illustrate and/or for the average US viewer to identify?

Actually, the version of Borscht that is mostly know worldwide is Ukraininan, not russian.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I have been thinking that the "potato" is more a reference to vodka, which most Americans associate with Russia. I never think "boy, Russians must eat a lot of potatoes", but they do drink vodka, right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I buy potato vodka from Poland. I thought most Russian vodka was from grain.

I buy my vodka from Trader Joe's 🤣

–—even though 100 years ago my grandfather drove animal-pulled carts of beets before he and my grandmother and baby aunts fled under gunfire in the middle of the night from Ukraine-then-Russia

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

That story about russian soldiers in Chernobyl that Stephen mentioned has been insane. I've followed it closely, because it has been the only feel-good story about the war so far. Not only did they take "souvenirs", many have digged trenches in the exclusion zone, most likely not knowing where they were. If only the entire army had taken that route, I wish them nothing less.

• Love 4

If Netflix truly wanted to piss off Russian viewers even more, all they have to do is give them only one thing to stream and watch. And that would be Volodymyr Zelensky's Ukrainian sitcom Servant of the People!

Hugh Laurie certainly has that new grizzled look of his down pat!

• Love 5
On 4/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, Victor the Crab said:

If Netflix truly wanted to piss off Russian viewers even more, all they have to do is give them only one thing to stream and watch. And that would be Volodymyr Zelensky's Ukrainian sitcom Servant of the People!

BTW, hugely recommending. That series is great.

I didn't think I could like Evie even more, but I do. She and Stephen were so cute together in the Easter First Drafts (I love First Giraffes Drafts).

And Benny is cute too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I floved the story of Stephen borrowing a pen from f'in' Allen Ginsberg to get Evie's phone number when they first met!

Josh Brolin was over-playing the obnoxious schtick, but in the end they got to the Evie story, so I'm all good with it.

Probably Evie and Stephen planned to have her interrupt him too, but it was still LOL.

• Love 3

LOL, their opening songs are always on point :D. 

I loved Stephen's commentary on the total WTF-ery that was Tucker Carlson's "documentary" in last night's monologue. Also, regarding the "Meanwhile" segment from last night, I wonder if that Easter Bunny guy handing out condoms knew the kids who were drinking margaritas in school? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did appreciate Stephen's succinct bit on the voided travel mask mandate.

Same. "That's how masks WORK!" 

I was sorry to hear that story about that kitchen over in Ukraine being attacked, and some workers being injured. But I love that the kitchen staff is just going to set up and keep on doing their work elsewhere. That's great. And I hope the people who were injured make a full recovery, too. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mariah23 said:

No new show until May 2.  Stephen tested positive for COVID.  He’s doing fine.

I've been freaking out lately when Stephen and a guest get in each others' faces, like last night with the Swedish pronunciation bit. 😟

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I've been freaking out lately when Stephen and a guest get in each others' faces, like last night with the Swedish pronunciation bit. 😟

Exactly. I'm actually shocked that he hasn't gotten covid a lot sooner. He and Jon always hug or bump fists at the start of every show, and Jon's wife has cancer. I hope they are OK.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Exactly. I'm actually shocked that he hasn't gotten covid a lot sooner. He and Jon always hug or bump fists at the start of every show, and Jon's wife has cancer. I hope they are OK.

Yes. 🤞 I noticed a while back that Stephen and Jon seemed a bit more cautious in their nightly greeting. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I think Kimmel and Noah are the only late night hosts that haven't caught it yet. The virus went through the NBC building like wildfire back in December 

I believe you're right about Kimmel and Noah. Not just the NBC building in December/January, but The View on ABC had to go remote right after they came back from the holidays. I was cringing watching Stephen all through January wondering when he was going to get it. I'm still surprised that he didn't catch it then.

• Love 1

My folks just went grocery shopping and one of their purchases was a box of Bavarian Potato Pancake Mix. Of course, I said "Bavarian Potato Pancake Mix...is potato" - and laughed myself silly. Since they don't watch Stephen, they didn't get it, which made it even funnier. 😂😂😂😂😂

I've seen several "Is Potato" shirts online now, but no official LSSC ones. They really missed the boat!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

My folks just went grocery shopping and one of their purchases was a box of Bavarian Potato Pancake Mix. Of course, I said "Bavarian Potato Pancake Mix...is potato" - and laughed myself silly. Since they don't watch Stephen, they didn't get it, which made it even funnier. 😂😂😂😂😂

I've seen several "Is Potato" shirts online now, but no official LSSC ones. They really missed the boat!

I really want Penzey's and Colbert to team up to "Is potato" Penzey's Potato of Love. I made instant mashed potatoes to go with dinner today. Is potato. 😂🤣

• LOL 7
(edited)
On 4/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, anna0852 said:

I think Kimmel and Noah are the only late night hosts that haven't caught it yet. The virus went through the NBC building like wildfire back in December 

Well, Kimmel just tested positive - 

https://deadline.com/2022/05/jimmy-kimmel-covid-fill-in-host-1235014453/

- and Noah just hosted the White House Correspondents Dinner over the weekend, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'll get it too (though everyone in attendance had to be vaccinated and tested). Evie also had it, according to Stephen.

Thank goodness Stephen is back! I really do miss him in times like these. They taped early so Jon could go to the Met Gala. 😁

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 2

Imaginary text to Stephen from @shapeshifter, everyone's Internet Mom:

• You have WHAT now??!?? 
    A "head cold"??!?????!!!!
    I'll be there in 20 minutes [2 plane flights] with some ginger and honey tea [and a stern lecture about putting your head in boxes with actors etc.]
  • LOL 4

HA, that clip at the beginning about "other things that Susan Collins believes". Perfect. 

Thank you for this monologue, Stephen. That's all the more I'm going to say, because site rules. Just. Yeah. 

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

HA, that clip at the beginning about "other things that Susan Collins believes". Perfect. 

Thank you for this monologue, Stephen. That's all the more I'm going to say, because site rules. Just. Yeah. 

Yes. The cold open and his monologue made me feel like at least someone gets it, and it is someone who is seen and heard by a lot of people. 

• Love 7

Yeah, an appropriate monologue on what I assume was a very hard day for many Americans. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, José Andrés is a great human being. I liked his excitement about getting a movie and Stephen's and Ron Howard's comments about making a superhero movie.

• Love 4

Agreed. Lovely dress Evie had on, very pretty shade of blue. 

Also continuing to enjoy Stephen's take on the fallout from the recent SC news. Yeah, Gaetz REALLY needs to just not talk. At all. About anything. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I did howl when Stephen compared Senator Collins to Lady Elaine Fairchild. That was a little too on point. 😂

Oh God, did I laugh hard at that or what?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Glenn Close aging backwards?

As in Benjamin Button Syndrome?🤔😁

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, Gaetz REALLY needs to just not talk. At all. About anything. 

I've read some really awesome comments about what he said but Stephen really nailed it.  I always wonder if people like Gaetz ever read the reactions to his comments or listen to the late night talk shows.  If they do you'd think it would make them think twice before they try to be clever.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SusanM said:

I've read some really awesome comments about what he said but Stephen really nailed it.  I always wonder if people like Gaetz ever read the reactions to his comments or listen to the late night talk shows.  If they do you'd think it would make them think twice before they try to be clever.

You'd think, yeah, but that would require people like Gaetz to have anything resembling humility and shame, and as we've sadly seen lately, clearly that's just not a thing for these people anymore :/. Especially if they keep getting away with the awful things they've done and said. 

But yeah, ,I'm still all for people like Colbert calling them out anyway. If nothing else, it hopefully motivates viewers to do their part to hold these people accountable for their awful words and deeds. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I was wondering about that when I didn't see him. Sorry to hear he's got it now, too, hope he gets well very soon!

Tonight's "Covetton House" segment was hysterical. The stuff with the paintings and the masks...XD. AND THE VIBRATORS. Good lord...

• Love 7

I'm actually surprised that the show went on...and that the rest of Stay Human and the crew aren't quarantined. Jon had to postpone his Carnegie Hall performance, and his crew for that also tested positive. In any case, I hope all are well.

• Love 3

Goop is highly mockable, but Stephen's shock at the existence of 8 kinds of vibrators was weird. There are way more kinds than that, and the Goop vibrators he showed are not even slightly out of the mainstream of sex toys. 

How many different types of condoms are there? Lots. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Goop is highly mockable, but Stephen's shock at the existence of 8 kinds of vibrators was weird. There are way more kinds than that, and the Goop vibrators he showed are not even slightly out of the mainstream of sex toys. 

How many different types of condoms are there? Lots. 

I though it was more of a shock that they would promote it as a gift for Mother's day. I am all for vibrators in all sorts of shapes, colors, functions, etc., but would never dream of purchasing one for my mother.

• LOL 7

Yeah, that "Picking up where my mom left off" line was...weird. That, and I think it's also the fact that it fits with the running joke of her selling stuff to stick up one's nether regions, like those weird egg things :p. 

Plus, while I too am all for people using vibrators, that seems an awful lot of money to plop down for one. 

• Love 1