Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Drive In

• Start Topic

I was expecting better.  It seems like with American Horror Story things are pretty good for at least a few episodes before things go off the rails and I stop watching.  So I figured that telling smaller stories would solve that problem.  But man, this was not good.  The other 2 were better, but not great.  

• Love 5

I'm actually happy with this series so far. I thought this episode was fun and had a decent amount of humor. John Carroll Lynch is always good and I've liked all of his performances on AHS. Glad to see that RM gave Naomi Grossman another role too.

• Love 7

This was pretty farfetched.  Two teenagers and neither one had their phone with them?  I know this is fiction but come on!  But seriously, nothing very original in this episode, I almost expected to see the Cryptkeeper pop up at the end.

• Love 2

I assume one doesn't even need to take acting classes anymore to be an actor in RM series? That was horrible acting, and the amateurish camerawork and horrible cut didn't help either.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Who writes this crap interns or teenagers? I guess as long as you check off certain boxes and have sex in the episode it's good to go who cares about the acting or story.

It did make me nostalgia for drive-in movies though. I have some fond memories of going with my kids to the drive-in to watch movies and some without my kids ;-)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, cdnalor said:

This was pretty farfetched.  Two teenagers and neither one had their phone with them?  I know this is fiction but come on!  But seriously, nothing very original in this episode, I almost expected to see the Cryptkeeper pop up at the end.

Well they were running for their lives.   I figured they brought it to the drive in and left it in the car after making out and running for thier lives.

I liked this one.  It was slow at spots but it was fun especially at the end.  I really liked the reveal that the two teenagers had watched enough of the movie that it had changed them enough to make them violent enough to kill someone in cold blood (even if he did deserve it) even if not enough to turn them into zombie like monsters.   Of course there were slow spots.   Zombie movies and running from monsters were never my favorite kinds of shows or movies but I did like this in the end.  

My biggest gripe though is like the last two episodes the story was just starting to get good when it suddenly ended.   Like with Scarlet on her own chasing down new victims to kill    I was just starting to find the two teenagers interesting when “The Drive In” ended.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Meh. Not the worst, but not that good either. I’m in a bit of a show slump so at least it’s new content. I liked the concept but the build up of “what’s gonna happen” was better than the actual thing once it started. I think Murphy and Falchuk are just out of great ideas at this point.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought this was pretty good, although I think that it could have been a bit better with such a good premise. I really like the idea of setting an old school style horror story in a recently refurbished drive in, as drive in's really have become more popular as of late and I can see how that would really appeal to RM and his love of retro aesthetics, and I love haunted films as a plot device. This felt a bit slow at spots, some of the plot points that I think were going for homages to horror movie clichés came off more as actual clichés, and I feel like you could do a lot more with an evil movie that turns people into demon zombies, but I still thought it was a fun outing. Very Tales of the Crypt, which I like a lot.

I hope that John Carroll Lynch shows up in a few more AHS projects. His bombastic style of acting works well with RM's style of melodramatic writing. 

The first few episodes of this anthology have been sort of a mixed bag, but I think an anthology horror show like this is a great idea for RM. He comes up with great ideas and his shows usually start out awesome, but then they totally fall apart near the end, so only having self contained one episode horror stories should be perfect for him, not enough time to screw things up. He needs to up his game to catch up with Two Sentence Horror Stories though, my favorite horror anthology show on television. 

The opening credits, with the old broken down drive in slowly being brought back to life with black slime all over it, were really cool, but that's AHS for you. The title often times ends up being the best part of the show. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2021 at 9:09 PM, cdnalor said:

Oh, I so would have loved it if the Cryptkeeper had popped up at the end. 

• Love 1

I thought this was a fun little episode that's a throwback to the early 80s zombie movies. I would've liked to see more of what happened after the zombies left the drive-in and possibly infected the general population. Also nice to see Naomi Grossman and John Carroll Lynch here. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I lasted about 15 minutes before my self-respect could no longer be put off.

How does this garbage get made?  It's not even good garbage.

The dialogue was ridiculous.   And unnecessarily vulgar.  "She'll be painting your dick with her lips" was especially repulsive, sexist at best, misogynistic at worst, dehumanizing the young woman in question as if she's no more than an orifice that exists to service a teenage boy.   I know many teens think and talk that way, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean I want to hear it in my home.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Love 2