Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Moving In

• Start Topic

I'm a bit confused regarding the logistics. I look forward to seeing how it unfolds. I wonder how it was decided who would move into the other person's space? I assume Courtney moves in with Jason because of taking care of his mom. It looks like Monet moves in with Vaughn and Jamie moves in with Doug. The season preview supports that somewhat because there's a washer and dryer behind them when she's sitting in that doorway wiping her eyes. Since she has her own place, why not move to her place? Were the producers hoping for wacky hijinks with his family?

It is kind of weird for Jamie to move in with Doug (and his parents) if she has her own place. Then again, she may have roommates since a nurse in New York probably needs roommates to cover rent. I'm wondering if she considers Doug a schmuck for living at home or some other thing he does in the episode.

Doug & Jamie confuses me it looks like they are in a few different places. When she makes the schmuck comments it looks like the dining room in her apartment (zebra print chairs). Then when they are talking about Jamies birthday and she cries it looks more like a trailer park where she grew up (the washer dryer in the doorway behind them, then the tiny bedroom with shelving above the bed and couch around the corner Doug flops on. Then there are a few scenes that look like they are at Doug's parents house (the kitchen when she is talking about it being a hard pill to swollow him living at home and then a living room where he has an arm around her.) Maybe it is just Jamie showing Doug how she grew up at the trailer but there was a lot of stuff on the shelving above the bed like it was being lived in.

Guess I will just need to see, but to me it would make more sense if they lived at Jamies apartment even if she has a roommate rather than Doug's parents. It must be hard to not only move in with essentially a stranger but also his family as well who you don't know.

• Love 1

It sounds like there's going to be some kind of compare and contrast with Doug's upbringing compared to Jamie's. I'd guess that if she has trouble connecting and tries to put on a good show it has more to do with her screwed up childhood than some desire to be famous on reality TV.

If Jamie does have roommates, the roommate may not feel comfortable moving Doug into the apartment even if it's just for the show. I wouldn't blame her.

Depending on where Courtney lives, it might make sense for her to move in with Jason so he can still provide for his mother.

I think Cortney lived in a one bedroom apartment with a friend and they only had a curtain between their beds. So I think she'd move in with Jason either way.

Pretty sure no matter what Monet does Vaughan is not going to be happy. He seems smug and argumentative for the sake of it. He's the only one I'm really not liking right now.

Cortney and Jason's place was super cute.

Jamie has a real case of verbal diarrhea with the monster comment, but she had some legit points about finances. Is till have high hopes for them.

• Love 3
(edited)

OK, I know they know we know that you don't go looking for an apartment one day and move in the next.  Right?  The whole episode was so fakety fake that it turned me off a little.   And is there such a thing as a one bedroom apt. in Manhattan for less than $3k?  It sounds like the producers just supplied apartments to the two couples and set up an imaginary "rent" that they could afford.

I thought it was real smooth of Vaughn to talk about being a "manly man" and wanting to be the provider, yada yada yada--and in the end suggesting a 50-50 split of the bills.  If he wants to be the provider, why not 70-30, for example, with him paying more?  Or even 60-40?

And you better believe that Doug's mama will not forget that Jamie called her son a monster, no matter how much Jamie tried to recover and laugh it off.

Edited by Ohwell

And you better believe that Doug's mama will not forget that Jamie called her son a monster, no matter how much Jamie tried to recover and laugh it off.

No lie there. It's too bad they're married (because I would want them to at least try to make it work), because I'd be telling my son she's not the one.

It's one thing to say (as in my case), I prefer guys with dark hair and was surprised I married a blond. It's quite another to say "Hey Mom-in-Law - I thought your son looked like a monster."  Whew. My late mother in law was a very nice lady. She'd probably never say anything to my face, but I bet, for years after the wedding, she'd be recounting to her son how I said he looked like a monster and wondering what he saw in me. That kinda stuff just never leaves family gossip.

I can't figure out what Vaughn wants - if she talks to him, it's too much and he feels like he's being cross examined. If she doesn't talk to him, she isn't working on the relationship.  The only thing I can think of is the difference between a young woman who may want to talk all the time and a person who needs a little down time each day after work. My stepfather was like that. He was a litigator and when he came home we couldn't even talk to him unless and until he talked to us (no lie). there wasn't a whole lot of idle conversation going on with us as teens or even with my mother. If I remarried, the guy would have to understand that I need time alone. I love you, but please get away from me.

• Love 2

I do think Monet needs to slow her roll with Vaughn.  She's already talking about him meeting her friends (I assume girlfriends) and I can understand if he's just not ready for that yet.  And she wants to talk, which is fine, but sometimes you have to follow your partner's lead.  They've been married for less that two weeks and have moved in together, so they both should understandably still be in a state of shock.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't figure out what Vaughn wants - if she talks to him, it's too much and he feels like he's being cross examined. If she doesn't talk to him, she isn't working on the relationship.  The only thing I can think of is the difference between a young woman who may want to talk all the time and a person who needs a little down time each day after work.

After this episode, I think I actually understand Vaughn. He is an introvert, Monet is an extrovert. As I introvert myself, I understand that for him engaging in conversation is mentally draining. I feel like I only have so many words I can use in one day, and once I have used them up, I'm done. I'm too mentally exhausted to talk or to listen, and I need quiet time to re-charge. Vaughn is the same way.

On their honeymoon, Vaughn said that Monet was a talker who could talk about anything, and he wished she would use more of her energy to engage with him on a deeper level. But as an extrovert, Monet isn't using mental energy to talk, she's gaining it. She can chat with someone about this-or-that all day, and still be energized enough to have a deep conversation at the end of it. If Vaughn chats all day, by the end of it he needs silence to re-energize.

Unfortunately,  I think the biggest thing Monet and Vaughn have in common is that they both asked for their idea of the kind of spouse they wanted, which is nothing like the kind of spouse they would really be happy with. Vaughn's an introvert who said he wanted a talker to balance his quietness; now he's got a wife who wants to chat and be social all the time and he can't deal with it. Monet is an independent woman who said she wanted a marriage with traditional gender roles, so now has a husband who wants her to be dependent upon him. They are totally wrong for each other.

With Courtney & Jason, she is messy while he is neat; she is a spender, he is a saver; so, we'll see how that works out. I'm still liking Doug & Jaime, for some reason they seem to me to be quite a bit more mature than Courtney & Jason who just seem so young to me. I'm hoping both of these couples make it.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 11
(edited)

It is funny, seeing these people getting what they requested in a spouse, and finding that it really is not what they wanted at all.

This is SO true! Especially evident with Vaughn and Monet. I think absolutelyido hit the nail on the head, that Vaughn is an introvert and Monet is an extrovert and they are literally not speaking the same language. I can't believe this fundamental difference was viewed as comptible.

Watching this episode, I felt myself cringing regularly. The forced fast forward of every spect of their lives had to have been incredibly stressful for the participants. I felt uncomfortable just watching them make this next step.

I agree that Courtney and Jason seem very young, but I realized tonight, they are the same age we were when we got married. I didn't feel that young. They are REALLY adorable together. I hope they make it.

Oh Jamie and Doug. I just wanted to hug Doug when he was talking about being the best person for her. The expectations of finances, providing for a spouse, can be so stressful. Putting extra pressure on yourself to be "good enough" just makes me so sad for him. i understand why Jamie worries about money, but I hope she doesn't make this an uncomfortable new wedge to keep him at arms length. I think she's trying, but she can be kind of harsh.

I've been married ten years. We met when we were both in graduate school. When we met in our twenties, we were poor students. Now, we are both established in our careers and I make significantly more than he does. Building the relationship is SO much more important than figuring out those issues on day one. There have been plenty of times where one of us carries the other, emotionally or financially. That's what you need in your spouse - someone who has your back, in good times and bad. You figure the rest out if you want to be together.

I'm re-watching and going to give Jamie a pass on the monster comment because she didn't say he *looked* like a monster, it was more about being surrounded by strangers and wanting to run away. It was completely uncomfortable, though! I still remember meeting my mother in law the first time. She is an awesome lady, but she was very intimidating. As a fellow babbler, I can tell Jamie just talks and talks when she's nervous. I can't imagine doing all of this on camera. Eeepp!

Edited by Secret
  • Love 2

Vaughan seems like one of those hard to please types and no matter what Monet does he's going to be unhappy. He could be getting an unfair edit but he's really coming off as a d-bag. I think if Monet had been sitting there quietly, he would have been complaining. Plus how he shut her down about meeting her friends was odd.

Courtney and Jason are young but enthusiatic about the whole experience. If they really put in the work, I think they will make it.

Poor Doug. He's recovering financially and Jamie doesn't want to go back to the trailer park. Doug's mom is not feeling Jamie and if Jamie doesn't work on that it could be a problem. I think they will be able to work it out. I just think Jamie doesn't need to say everything she's thinking. I really like them together. Thier relationship has really evolved. I thought it was cute when she was like I really want to look pretty for him.

• Love 2

Vaughan seems like one of those hard to please types and no matter what Monet does he's going to be unhappy. He could be getting an unfair edit but he's really coming off as a d-bag. I think if Monet had been sitting there quietly, he would have been complaining. Plus how he shut her down about meeting her friends was odd.

Courtney and Jason are young but enthusiatic about the whole experience. If they really put in the work, I think they will make it.

Poor Doug. He's recovering financially and Jamie doesn't want to go back to the trailer park. Doug's mom is not feeling Jamie and if Jamie doesn't work on that it could be a problem. I think they will be able to work it out. I just think Jamie doesn't need to say everything she's thinking. I really like them together. Thier relationship has really evolved. I thought it was cute when she was like I really want to look pretty for him.

Yeah, but with Jamie (I'msoprettywheresmyprince), I think really wanting to look pretty means maintaining the upper hand in this relationship. She knows she's not staying but she knows she's already come off as haughty biatch. So,she's gonna put on her imaginary tiara and smiiiiiile through it. JMHO and in all honesty, I bailed. I watched just enough to keep up with the uppercrust commentary in this forum. So glad I found PTV. Finally, I don't miss twop since so many have made their ways here for which I am eternally grateful. :D

They did this experiment already in i think it was the Netherlands and 2 of the three couples are still together. A lot of people are knocking Jamie, but I think she has some very valid concerns, and someone with a past like hers it is hard to trust anyone including yourself. She seems to be opening up an embracing the thought, and forget Doug's moles, I think if you really look at him he's handsome. Vaughn is just all kinds of wrapped up in his self and I don't think he wants a wife I think he wants a door mat, he should have definitely gotten married to a mail order bride at first sight and not a strong independent woman like Monet. He is so icy cold the only thing I see heating up in that relationship is tempers! And with Courtney and Jason, they are just so darn cute! But I don't think the saving vs spending nor cleanliness vs messiness will be their demise, as my husband of 17 yrs and I are exactly that way, it will be that couples grow apart when they have strenuous schedules, and never see each other to continue growing as a couple!

Yeah, but with Jamie (I'msoprettywheresmyprince), I think really wanting to look pretty means maintaining the upper hand in this relationship. She knows she's not staying but she knows she's already come off as haughty biatch. So,she's gonna put on her imaginary tiara and smiiiiiile through it. JMHO and in all honesty, I bailed. I watched just enough to keep up with the uppercrust commentary in this forum. So glad I found PTV. Finally, I don't miss twop since so many have made their ways here for which I am eternally grateful. :D

I think if Jamie was going to just smile thru it she would have fought tooth and nail to keep her apartment, it was WAY nicer!

• Love 1

They did this experiment already in i think it was the Netherlands and 2 of the three couples are still together.

No 2 couples decided to give it a go at the end of the 6 weeks experiment but all couples were divorced within 12 months of the weddings according to news articles

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think being an introvert/extrovert has anything to do with what's going on with Vaughn and Monet. I am an extreme introvert and my husband is an extrovert who loves to talk. I think that's a pairing that can typically work, i.e. opposites attract. Honestly, Vaughn isn't going happy no matter what. He reminds me a male friend of mine who always nitpicks and sabotages relationships before they can get anywhere. Then he turns around and complains that good women are rare. Yes, Monet is a talker, but I do think she is genuine in wanting to get to know Vaughn. I have a feeling that had she sat quietly while reading emails or whatever on her laptop, Vaughn would have taken issue with that, too. I also don't see why it's a huge problem that she wanted to meet his friends - for show or not, they are married. I don't see why a quick drink or dinner with Vaughn's friends is completely out of the question.

I originally liked their pairing, but I am beginning to think Vaughn got married to cross it off his life checklist, and not because he truly wanted a mate.

Still have hope for Jamie/Doug and Courtney/Jason!

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2
I think if Jamie was going to just smile thru it she would have fought tooth and nail to keep her apartment, it was WAY nicer!

I don't think that she, Vaughn, or Courtney gave up their apartments completely (Monet stayed put, and Jason and Doug moved out of spaces shared with parents).  Vaughn did say that he kept his place in AC.  It would be stupid, really, to completely give up an apartment not knowing what's going to happen in just 5 weeks.  I liked the place that Jason and Courtney got, but Doug and Jamies place was seriously ugly.

Did y'all see the look Vaughn gave Monet's little doggie when it DARED to shed on him??  Ohboy.  Mr. "Please Remove Your Shoes" is not going to do well in a pet house. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I wonder if Vaughn is still deigning to have sex with Monet even though he clearly doesn't much enjoy her company. I fault Monet a little less since it's difficult to reciprocate affection when none is being offered, but both of them are just going through the motions at this point for the sake of the show. There doesn't appear to be any real desire on either of their parts to stay married.

Yes, yes, NY real estate and all, but both of those apartments were so tiny and depressing to me. I assume (hope) that neither Jamie nor Cortney actually moved out of their previous places, in the sense of giving up their leases, and that the production company is ponying up money for those temporary new apartments. Jason lives with his mother but may actually be paying some or all or the rent there, too, since she's unable to work.

I'm honestly not clear on what any of them except Jamie and Jason actually do for a living, but none of it sounds like a high-paying endeavor. They would have needed to take at least a couple of weeks off to participate in this falderol.

Cortney: makeup artist and burlesque dancer

Doug: commercial sales rep and weekend lifeguard

Jason: EMT and weekend wrestler

Jamie: labor and delivery nurse

Monet: product development manager in the fashion industry

Vaughn: field service technician (does that mean Vaughn the cable guy? copiers?)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Doug should get out of sales if he wants to make a decent living. He was in pharmaceutical sales and now he is in software sales. Software sales (I think) is a very low salary with the opportunity of a big bonus if you sell something- which is really hard to do. I guess he has the personality for sales but it's not the most stable career.

Those guys can make big bucks but they can also be poor. It's just not stable.  Certainly not for someone like Jamie who probably would prefer a steady income.

I agree Vaughn would not be happy with anyone. 

I find this show to be so interesting though.

Someone mentioned that probably the show is paying the rents on the apartments. I was thinking that instead the couples are paying the rent on the new apartments but the show is keeping their old places and paying the rent on the old apartments for them in case they want to move back after the experiment. That would make more sense. This way they could see how it would really be to afford an apartment together. 

(edited)

I am really feeling bad for Monet at this point. It feels like Vaughn made his decision during the honeymoon and isn't trying anymore. Plus, did you all catch him picking the dog hair off of his shirt? The dog is going to drive him nuts because he is such a neat freak (even though that dog is adorable and I want to steal him). The introvert/extrovert thing would be ok if BOTH spouses were understanding about it - but Vaughn is not giving Monet a chance or explaining his need to have quiet time so that he can decompress adequately. Vaughn actually wants a mousy, quiet, non-ambitious woman who will do what he wants and fit into his life - despite what he told the experts (so much for those amazing "tests" the psychologist gave them). Monet is not that woman. It was cool of him to move to her place - but my cynical side says that he did that so his place wasn't disturbed by her dog and the camera crew. 

Now, I want to make a room in my house for a dressing room - I LOVED Monet's. The color of the walls, the shoe racks, the vanity - I loved it all!

I really hope that the new apartments for the other two couples are just for the show - especially for Courtney and Jason. $2400/month??? With the bills she said she had? I get that they wanted to have a space of their own, but Jason is going to have even less time with her if he has to add trips to visit/take care of his mom on top of his work and wrestling schedule. Also, they could have saved some money by living with his mom. 

Was I the only one thinking that what Courtney really needed was a set of Huggable Hangers??

Cortney: makeup artist and burlesque dancer

I thought at the very beginning of the show she said she did something else as a day job - like office worker for a technical firm. I got the impression that she is still working toward becoming a makeup artist. Anyone know for sure? 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 2

I thought at the very beginning of the show she said she did something else as a day job - like office worker for a technical firm. I got the impression that she is still working toward becoming a makeup artist. Anyone know for sure? 

Yes Cortney has a day job at a tech firm as some sort of office assistant.   No idea if she pulls in any money for being a make up artist.   Maybe she gets some cash on the side doing make up odd jobs.  I feel bad for her to have so much student loan debt plus owing her parents.  Her being financially unstable could be a big negative for Jason.  

I wonder if Mama Doug is aware that Jamie has been on both Bachelor & Bachelor Pad!!?    That could be a big turn off for her.     I still like Doug & Jamie together but am beginning to wonder if its a good match or not.   Guess we'll see!

• Love 1

Monet seems like a perfectly nice person, but the way she was talking exhausted me too. The quieter Vaughn was, clearly just wanting to be quiet after work and recharge his batteries, the louder she got, with more and more edge in her voice. She sounded like she was running a board meeting instead of just reporting something she read on Facebook. I agree that he's made up his mind not to make this work, but I feel like he's only arrived at the conclusion that they're temperamentally unsuited for each other -- which they clearly are -- in the same way he would if they'd just had a first date together

• Love 5

I am really feeling bad for Monet at this point. It feels like Vaughn made his decision during the honeymoon and isn't trying anymore. Plus, did you all catch him picking the dog hair off of his shirt? The dog is going to drive him nuts because he is such a neat freak (even though that dog is adorable and I want to steal him). The introvert/extrovert thing would be ok if BOTH spouses were understanding about it - but Vaughn is not giving Monet a chance or explaining his need to have quiet time so that he can decompress adequately. Vaughn actually wants a mousy, quiet, non-ambitious woman who will do what he wants and fit into his life - despite what he told the experts (so much for those amazing "tests" the psychologist gave them). Monet is not that woman. It was cool of him to move to her place - but my cynical side says that he did that so his place wasn't disturbed by her dog and the camera crew. 

Was I the only one thinking that what Courtney really needed was a set of Huggable Hangers??

Yeah, the major issue is the lack of communication between Vaughn and Monet. He has a habit of saying things in a dick-ish way, likely because he's frustrated which in turn makes Monet defensive. From what I see, what Vaughn said he wanted and what he really wants in a spouse are two very different thing and that just further complicates matters. He wants a 'yes, honey, whatever you want' wife.

And yes to Huggable Hangers! I haven't touched wire or plastic hangers in 4 or so years. I twitched when Jason picked up all of those hangers!

• Love 1

Speaking of the apartments, Is 2400 a month for an 850 sq ft apt in NY about right? I'm from AR and 2400 here buys you a nice mansion. I know cost of living is different and all but wow....those apartments were small and cramped. That one apt Courtney and Jason looked at had a bed on top of the shelf. Also how are Jamie and Vaughan going to pay rent on 2 places?

• Love 2

Those prices didn't seem astronomical to me; in fact, $2400 for a furnished place that big and nice in Park Slope (a lovely neighbourhood in Brooklyn) was probably below market rate.

Since both Jason and Cortney's and Doug and Jamie's places were furnished and seemed like they might be short-term rentals for temporary residents or business travelers or whatever, I'm pretty sure the idea is only to take them for the duration of the "social experiment," and that the show couldn't make anyone give up their apartments (Vaughn kept his place too) because if (when) the "marriages" break up in a month, they'll all need someplace to go back to.

So both the apartments were in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan?  What threw me off was that both couples were talking about apartments in Manhattan, and I thought that's where they were.  However, It did seem to me that the so-called "real estate agents" were just part of the crew.   

Since both Jason and Cortney's and Doug and Jamie's places were furnished and seemed like they might be short-term rentals for temporary residents or business travelers or whatever, I'm pretty sure the idea is only to take them for the duration of the "social experiment," and that the show couldn't make anyone give up their apartments (Vaughn kept his place too) because if (when) the "marriages" break up in a month, they'll all need someplace to go back to.

Which makes the expert talking head (was it Cilona?) explaining how moving is the most stressful activity ever even more melodramatic. From what we saw, they each moved a few boxes of clothes and personal items. Jason didn't even seem to be able to cope with that much, but I give the kid a break because I feel so bad for him. I wonder if his father is in the picture at all or if he's one of those people who divorced the kids along with the spouse. I don't remember from the wedding.

I think what happened to Monet and Vaughn was a matter of not knowing each other and fighting for survival of the self... Vaughn wanted quiet and Monet kept talking. Actually, she even got on my nerve. That's not saying he was being reasonable but if someone didn't want to talk, what's the point in talking to them? They are in a difficult position because they have not had the opportunity to understand these things about each other.  She needs to calm down and "hear" what he is saying so she  can make up her mind if she wants to be bothered with him or not. 

(edited)

I think what happened to Monet and Vaughn was a matter of not knowing each other and fighting for survival of the self... Vaughn wanted quiet and Monet kept talking. Actually, she even got on my nerve. That's not saying he was being reasonable but if someone didn't want to talk, what's the point in talking to them? They are in a difficult position because they have not had the opportunity to understand these things about each other.  She needs to calm down and "hear" what he is saying so she  can make up her mind if she wants to be bothered with him or not. 

I think Monet would 'hear' what was said if Vaughn didn't wait until he was extremely frustrated to communicate how he's feeling. I think Monet would receive his criticisms better if he knew how to speak to her.

I kind of had to laugh when Vaughn said he still had his apartment. Like, why wouldn't you?

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 3

Vaughn has talked often about his father and showed Monet a picture but, unless I missed something, has he ever talked about his mother?

If I remember correctly, Vaughn introduced Monet to his mother at their wedding reception.

• Love 1
So both the apartments were in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan?

Doug and Jamie's was in Harlem, which is in Manhattan (uptown).

If I remember correctly, Vaughn introduced Monet to his mother at their wedding reception.

They also went for brunch with his family before they left for their honeymoon.

I think Doug and Jaime seem like such a stronger couple than the other too because she was so uncomfortable and standoffish from the start.  Because of that they've been actually getting to know each other at a fairly normal rate.

Vaughn wants a housewife and Monet doesn't want the man she thought she wanted.

• Love 1

It was interesting to me that Vaughn mentioned wanting to be the man and the supporter but then settled for a 50/50 split of the bills.

I feel like Monet is doing a great job communicating with him.  He really doesn't know what he wants, does he?  She's in a damned if you do -- damned if you don't position.  When she invited him to her Sunday Brunch tradition, he looked overwhelmed and horrified at the idea.  Like she was pushing too much or something.

I get the whole introvert and extrovert thing.  I am an introvert as well.  However, if my husband wanted me to go to brunch with him and meet some of his new friends, I would gladly go along.  So, I really don't think the introvert / extrovert is a good excuse.  To me, it's just a selfish thing.  He's only now realizing that he will have to actually share his life with someone.  He will have to compromise with some of his weekend and holiday traditions.  I totally get it.  I mean, compromising what you do on your downtime is a little scary and overwhelming when you are simply *dating* someone.  Imagine how scary it is in a married at first sight situation!

Unfortunately, I don't think they will make it.  Monet is really trying and he just sort of pulls away and shuts down when he sees something he doesn't like.  Then, when she asks what is wrong, he gives her the most half-assed vague answer ever.  Clearly I am not team Vaughn here. lol

Jason and Cortney are the cutest.  I love the way they communicated with one another about when their first time having sex as a couple would be.  They seem to be making a lot of decisions together.  There is a lot of give and take here (at least from what I see).  I think their biggest challenge will be work schedules.

Jamie and Doug might have started off rough but they seem to be taking it in stride.  I am totally rooting for them.  As the show explains Jamie's background and history, it becomes clear to me that it might take her time to warm up in ANY relationship.  Even if she was super attracted to the guy on sight.  Doug is being incredibly sweet and patient.  I want these crazy kids to work out.  Even if momma-in-law is skeptical.

• Love 1

My boyfriend and I are like Monet and Vaughn, my boyfriend being the introvert (empath, so very introverted) and me being the extrovert. He is very patient when I get in one of my talkative moods but he also doesn't speak to me in the tone and manner that Vaughn spoke to Monet. I also know when he needs to decompress and I don't bother him. Vaughn needs to learn a little patience as this is all new to both of them. How is she supposed to know how to read him if he's not even willing to work with her? He worked my last damn nerve last night.

• Love 4
(edited)

This was a boring episode overall. Oh we'll get an apartment together, but I'll keep mine just in case. Come on producers, at least pretend like this is real & they're trying. Hide the ugly truth & reality show this crap up!

The financial discussions made my eyes twitch. I'm old so all those type of details are set in my mind. Hearing this mentioned in passing & without much depth made me roll my twitchy eyes. The experts were right for a change. Money & sex are generally two of the biggest trouble spots in marriages. They're all off to a great start!

Add me to those wanting to grab the hangers out of Jason's hands & toss them away. I'm an organizer so I feel slightly edgy when things are out of sorts. I use the huggable hanger style hangers & color coordinate them for each member of my family. (Yes, I'm slightly OTT in my own house.)

I'm such a extrovert & a talker that Monet & Jamie talking a lot didn't really register with me. The couple of more introverted people I've been in relationships with (friendships or dating) I have given verbal permission to remind me I'm overwhelming them or that they need some quiet. As long as it's done in a kind hearted manner it doesn't bother me. Vaughn didn't quite reach the kind level I'd want, but I don't think Monet really listened to his concerns either.

Edited by ramble

I think that both Vaughn and Monet need to learn a little patience.  In Monet's case, for example, while I can understand her wanting him to meet her friends, she shouldn't be surprised that he isn't ready yet.  I don't think I would be either under those circumstances, especially if I wasn't 100% certain that I would even be married to that person after a month.   Vaughn is just too damn testy and picky and I know if I met him we wouldn't hit it off.  I also find it interesting that Monet is the one who keeps talking about how sexually compatible they are, but I don't remember hearing much from Vaughn on that issue.  I think that, for whatever reason(s), Vaughn has checked out of the relationship. 

Jamie seems to be a woman who's really pretty but can't stay in a relationship because she's got a steamer trunk full of neuroses. It's also why I think there's a lot more "real" out of her than other reality stars. During the wedding she had a nice smile plastered on but abject terror in her eyes. The walls do really seem to be down as far as physical contact with Doug, though. I notice Jamie is also ending a lot of her sentences to Doug by using his name, like "I know that, Doug." I don't know if that shows anything about the relationship, except that it seems like a "real" thing.

Then there's the other couples. One has about 10% conflict. The other has about 80%.

• Love 1

I'm also wondering what all those CIA pesonality tests were for if they paired up the couples just based on what they said they wanted. Very few people have enough self-awareness to know what they need as opposed to what they want. Vaugh and Monet certainly have no clue. Her loud chatter annoys me too at times, but he's just so incredibly argumentative. Everything is always her fault. I'm not surprised he hasn't found anyone on his own. And he totally moved in with her so his apartment wouldn't be messed up, and so she'd "owe" him something. I also find it a bit weird they're having sex when they can barely tolerate each other. Falling in love is clearly out of the question.

Jamie and Doug are cute. She looks so comfortable around him now. I can totally understand her concerns about Doug's finances considering her past. She's probably been eyeing doctors and the like and now she's married to a guy who's been living with his parents. They just seem like such a good fit personality-wise and I hope Jamie hangs onto him. What are the chances of her finding a successful man with model looks who has that much patience and tolerance for all her quirks? Slim to none I'd say. Plus he does look handsome when he's not clean shaven. Their new place looks grim though. I think she said in an interview that someone in Doug's family knew her from the Bachelor, so no wonder the mother-in-law is a bit suspicious.

I'm surprised Cortney didn't move in with his mom, since it would've saved them some time, but then again his mom probably doesn't want to end up on TV or deal with a camera crew in her home. The new apartment was so expensive though considering her situation. The show must be paying for it, which makes the whole discussion about finances seem a bit redundant. Well I suppose it's good to know what you've gotten yourself into.

I really wish this show was longer. 15 mins per couple makes it all seem so rushed.

• Love 1

I doubt any of these couples will work out but Monet and Vaughn are going to be the first to split. He isn't even trying to cooperate with her and she gets way too shouty over every one of Vaughn's complaints. Cortney and Jason could work if they were less busy and had time to get to know each other but maybe they just want a sporadic support system, in that case it could work. I definitely think that Jason wants to have a wife in order to create a new family as his mom is not long for this world. My brother did the same thing when our mom died. I love Doug. I think he looks fine. Kind of like a less good looking Jude Law. Actually Doug's hairline is probably more intact. He is charming and maybe he can make Jamie more likable. Doug's mom doesn't like her but maybe she's one of those mom's who doesn't like anyone Doug brings home.

I might be wrong about this, but to my memory no one brought up spending habits when they were talking about what they wanted in a partner. For me, someone who doesn't have crazy debt, bankruptcies or expensive hobbies would be at the top. I totally get Jamie's concerns and I like that she told it to Doug straight. Not having enough money (and in NY you need a lot!) is the worst and could kill even the best chemistry. I wonder if they ran credit reports on these folks as part of the background checks.

He's only now realizing that he will have to actually share his life with someone.  He will have to compromise with some of his weekend and holiday traditions.

My son and I are going through that now. Son was 14 when my husband died; we have been alone together for 23 years now. Except for college, we've lived together, he lives with me now as he finishes grad school. We've also lived around the country, even when his father was alive, so there wasn't a lot of going to see relatives and all that.

Now son is dating the woman he'll probably marry. Now he's got to go to her families' places (divorced parents, do everything twice) for holidays and dinners. Her parents want to meet me. Personally, son and I are just fine where we are. It's not that we don't like people, we just have a hard time getting into this manufactured socializing because they're a couple. I understand that it's all probably a good thing, but boy, it ain't my cup of tea (nothing against her parents, they seem like nice people).

As for getting what you wanted - my stepfather was veeery serious. I thought I wanted a man with a sense of humor. I wanted a Dick Van Dyke. Well, I got one and it drove me crazy. Every freakin' thing was a joke. Apparently I didn't realize there was a middle ground between being a Vaughn (even physically reminds me of my stepfather) and Dick Van Dyke. I've got a sense of humor, but when it's time to be serious, I don't want a bunch of jokes.

I'm rooting for Jason and Courtney figuring out the schedule thing. She's familiar with firefighters; she knows the territory. I'd also suggest that they each drop one of their extra activities and use that time to be together. They are a cute couple.

• Love 1
(edited)

I totally understand Jamie being uneasy about Doug's finances.  She's been poor, worked hard to get into a decent profession--nursing and doesn't want to go back to having to worry about how to pay for food, rent, etc.    Hopefully if she is serious about making a marriage with Doug, money won't end up being what keeps them apart.  Well that and the fact that Mama Doug isn't a fan.   

I know this could be all producer driven and fake, but I am enjoying Jamie & Doug's journey so far.   Doug does have a great body to go along with his personality.    If he had been a 300lb schulb I'm not sure if Jamie would be so happy and willing to work on their marriage.   Or maybe she would be ok but him being fit and healthy is probably a big plus.  I know it would be for me!

Edited by CindyBee