Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I would love that stew recipe if you don't mind sharing!! Thanks!

I used this recipe as a guide but added garlic, red chili flakes and oregano and then reduced it more because it was soupy, and tossed in some fresh spinach at the very end.

What can I say I love chili but I am not a huge hot dog or hot dog bun fan. Give me good sausage in a hearty roll any day of the WEEK! Even 7/27!

My girlfriend is coming over tonight, and she's expressed a preference for a piece of gammon steak, a slice of pineapple, a couple of fried eggs, mixed veg and a few chips (fries)

I think I will go for the same but with jacket potatoes rather than chips. And perhaps a sliced & diced pepper/chilli just to sex things up a bit.

Just need to go out and buy some gammon I suppose. 

15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The last TJ's spatchcocked chicken I got was a tad too sweet. Must have been too much sugar in the brine, so I will be interested in what you think.

It wasn't too sweet at all, so maybe you had a bad batch, brinewise. Overall, while it looked very pretty, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the chicken.  It was stringy and very hard to pull off the bone.  Maybe it was old?  I baked it exactly according to the directions, maybe it's better cooked on a grill.

I've never had a chili dog, either, but that is easily explained by the fact I don't like chili.

I am now craving a hot dog, however.  I hardly ever eat them, but I like them.  Vienna and Nathan's are my favorites, but Hebrew National is okay, too.

Alas, dinner will be tilapia.  Baked some way, and served with something.  I haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Just need to go out and buy some gammon I suppose. 

Zola  - I'm a clueless American.  What is a gammon steak?  I'm always looking for a good cut of beef. :)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, ariel said:

What is a gammon steak?  I'm always looking for a good cut of beef. :)

It's pork.  Like ham, but cured differently and not cooked.  Or something like that; I'll leave it to Only Zola to fill in.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ariel said:

Zola  - I'm a clueless American.  What is a gammon steak?  I'm always looking for a good cut of beef. :)

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's pork.  Like ham, but cured differently and not cooked.  Or something like that; I'll leave it to Only Zola to fill in.

Bastet is right! It's a joint (back leg) of pork that has been cured a certain way, and can be served as ham slices, steaks or as joints.

Here in the UK sliced gammon is quite popular at carveries and Christmas Day dinners, either as the main meat or shared with beef or turkey.  Gammon steaks, on the other hand, can be served with chips (fries), fried eggs and veg etc - absolutely gorgeous!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(meat)

I went to a dinner tonight, so I didn't have to cook.  It was good.  Caesar salad, Redfish in a lemon butter sauce, twice-baked potato, crunchy green beans with almonds and praline cheesecake for dessert.  

• Love 1

Went to a new cafe in town and had a great Philly Cheese Steak on a fresh baked roll, roasted potato salad, and a mug of local red beer. Great service and it's only 4 blocks from my home.

• Love 1

I like making my own pizza dough. I have a recipe for deep dish dough that rises for an hour. I also have one for fermented dough that rises overnight. This weekend I tried a crispy crust that comes together in about ten minutes. Homemade pizza in less time than it takes for Domino's delivery? I may never leave the house again.

• Love 3

Have just returned from my local pub after enjoying a rather tasty and crispy BBQ Chicken & Bacon Melt!

A little bit sticky and messy, but exceedingly yummy!

4 hours ago, Qoass said:

I like making my own pizza dough. I have a recipe for deep dish dough that rises for an hour. I also have one for fermented dough that rises overnight. This weekend I tried a crispy crust that comes together in about ten minutes. Homemade pizza in less time than it takes for Domino's delivery? I may never leave the house again.

A 10 minute crispy crust....could you please share the recipe for that? My granddaughter is here this week and she'd probably enjoy making individual pizzas. Today it's stuffed peppers and blackberry cobbler for desert. 

Just now, Only Zola said:

A little bit sticky and messy, but exceedingly yummy!

Sometimes that's what makes a food taste extra good. I don't know how or why but I do believe it! 

• Love 1

Thanks @Qoass  You're correct that it looks easy and quick and I think that she'll enjoy it. Kids always like food better when they help in it's preparation. Tons of variations on the toppings. I look forward to making this. 

Is there a particular kind of flour that you use? 

I just used regular AP flour. In fact, one of the reasons I made this was because I had just about the right amount in the bottom of my almost empty flour bin.

• Love 1

I made this almond cherry mousse a few days ago.  It was very good.  The changes that I made was to use 3/4 cup of sugar instead of a cup, since the cherries I used were sweet. I added 2 teaspoons of sugar to the whipped cream.  I also used a stick blender instead of a regular blender. 

https://beekman1802.com/recipes/tart-cherry-almond-mousse/?utm_source=BEEKMAN+1802&utm_campaign=66ef96b367-july+16+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_212a769aad-66ef96b367-88784401&mc_cid=66ef96b367&mc_eid=d127fd1aa1

(edited)

I made pizza according to the recipe given upthread by @Qoass. The crust wasn't too thin or crispy (my error...thought I had it thin enough before cooking) but the toppings (red onion yellow, cheese and red bell peppers) were good. I'll try it again. My granddaughter thought it was fun. 

Feel better soon @biakbiak 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added Get Well wishes
22 minutes ago, ariel said:

I made this Nigella chicken recipe tonight.  Very good.  I did half the  amount of cinnamon because I used Vietnamese cinnamon, which I love but I find it stronger.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/crunchy-chicken-cutlets

That does look good. Being a lemon addict I'd just take these, omit the cinnamon, squeeze a lemon wedge over them and name them crispy Schnitzel. Thanks for posting the clickable link. I will give her original recipe a try tho. 

43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That does look good. Being a lemon addict I'd just take these, omit the cinnamon, squeeze a lemon wedge over them and name them crispy Schnitzel. Thanks for posting the clickable link. I will give her original recipe a try tho. 

It would probably work well with veal or pork.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:36 PM, Giselle said:

How is that? I like cooking from scratch but sometimes quick and easy is a life saver.

It's always nice to have an idea of what might taste good.

We like it!  We've had TJ's spring rolls or potstickers with it before too.  Its a meal we've tended to keep in the freezer (ie re-buy it the next time we go to TJs after eating it) but at the same time don't have it super often.

• Love 2

Tonight lobsters.  They are on sale at my local market. Mr A is going to make clarified butter. Baked potatoes & corn on the cob for sides.  For dessert vanilla ice cream - the store bought one that beings with a H.  I made a plume composte in my instant pot to put over the ice cream.

• Love 2

Grabbed a slice of pizza for lunch (eggplant, ricotta, fresh tomato and pesto... yum) so for dinner I stir fried diced zucchini, red bell pepper, red onion, cherry tomatoes and basil in some olive oil and that was it. Light but awesome. 

• Love 2

Last night was carbonara with peas. I used guanciale which is apparently the traditional meat for carbonara. It was fine, but I think I prefer it with either pancetta or bacon.

So far today I've roasted tomatoes and strawberries (not at the same time). It's a clean out the fridge kind of day.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ariel said:

I made a plume composte

Auto-correct strikes again?

On 7/24/2017 at 6:23 PM, biakbiak said:

I think I coming Dien with something

And again?

• Love 3
(edited)

I made scrambled eggs after watching a Youtube video from Ras Kitchen. Very interesting. Several short how-to videos showing Mokko, a Rastafarian brother, prepare many dishes in his outdoor kitchen. His entire complex in the Jamaican forest is envious from my point of view. Not that they don't trek to the market to buy certain staples but they don't even have electricity or gas. The way he manipulates the fire and his wood is amazing. And his chef hat for his 7 feet long dreads is a pair of red Calvin Klein undershorts. But I really wish I could hang out and regret I didn't know about it all when I visited Jamaica a couple of years back. Went to Bob Marley's house and then looked for Keith Richards' place.

The eggs consisted of putting water in a skillet, adding tomatoes, spring onions, fresh garlic, a sprinkle of chicken broth and fat, preferable coconut oil. I used ghee. After the vegs are soft add your eggs and cook until they are done. Only precaution is to watch the amount of water. Here is the video:

Rastafarian Scrambled Eggs

Edited by ethalfrida
Typo
  • Love 1

I made smothered steak (very simple--just some thin-sliced shoulder steak that I got on sale browned and then slow-simmered with some brown gravy until tender) over rice for lunch.  I have enough left over for dinner. 

• Love 1