Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E18: Live Finale Part 2

• Start Topic

In the live season finale, host Carson Daly reveals who America has chosen to be the winner. Special performances by chart-topping artists and finalist/coach duets with Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, John Legend, and Blake Shelton.

Original airdate: 5/25/21

I had been reading some predictions this evening and they weren’t quite on point. But all predicted Cam to win.  He was very good.  I’m pleased, though I did like Victor And Kenzie.  

I liked that guy who sang who wore the red letterman's jacket with the dancers .. can't recall his name but I thought his song was cool and I liked his voice.

I am THRILLED that Cam won!!!!!!!!  He is super talented - hope he goes on to have a real career from this. 

• Love 1

Happy it wasn't Kenzie. But what a load of bs filler. None of the guest stars sang with the contestants, remember when that was a feature? Almost an hour into the show before we got to the first actual performance by a contestant. More unfunny backstage bits that no one cares about. Actual viewing time; about 40 minutes and that's only because I watched most of the performances. Otherwise it could easily be fast forwarded to the last five minutes alone just to find out who won.

Congratulations Cam.

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Happy it wasn't Kenzie. But what a load of bs filler. None of the guest stars sang with the contestants, remember when that was a feature? Almost an hour into the show before we got to the first actual performance by a contestant. More unfunny backstage bits that no one cares about. Actual viewing time; about 40 minutes and that's only because I watched most of the performances. Otherwise it could easily be fast forwarded to the last five minutes alone just to find out who won.

Congratulations Cam.

I think the guests pre-taped their parts, so no singing with the contestants.  Beiber definitely did - he cut his hair off a few days ago.

I just finished watching and was shocked that Jordan came in 3rd. I thought Rachael deserved that spot because I felt she really grew as an artist. That 16 year old girl really has a good head on shoulders and I could see her as a pop star, she's young enough for a producer to take under their wing and mold her into another Taylor Swift or whoever.

I laughed at Blake telling Adam he's texting him to tell him that he's wearing 2 shirts. Did you get the text? Also, Nick's training montage when he flicked Blake's cardboard cutout and it fell over.

12 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

so they don’t even get a car anymore?

Yeah, I've noticed that comes and goes.

• Love 2

I completely forgot about the finale last night so that shows how invested I am....

Cam is the only one whose performances I watched all the way through, so as annoying as it is to see Blake win again (yawn), I think it went to the most deserving singer.

• Love 1

Turns out Cam is no stranger to the music business, or reality TV.

Around age 12, his family posted videos of him singing tracks including Bruno Mars’s “When I Was Your Man” and Lorde’s “Royals,” and his stellar vocals caught the attention of music executives and concert promoters. Millions of views later, he was on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” explaining that his parents realized he could sing at age 4 when they heard him crooning the jingle from a Folgers coffee commercial.

At 14, he signed a record deal with Dr. Dre’s Aftermath Entertainment, a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, and landed more high-profile gigs. He impressed President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle at the 2014 White House Easter Egg Roll when he belted out the national anthem. (“The first thing that the president said was, ‘Cam, your voice is phenomenal,’ ” Anthony recalled during a “Voice” interview.) In 2018, he won Fox’s reboot of “Showtime at the Apollo.”

None of which was mentioned on the show of course.

26 minutes ago, KristenR said:

I could’ve sworn the President Obama thing was mentioned on the show at some point. 

You’re right. His experiences were highlighted in his audition clip or during the knockout round - I don’t remember which one. I’m actually shocked that I didn’t fast-forward through it. But yes, I distinctly remember seeing a photo of him with Obama.

(edited)

Blake did almost no coaching with Cam. The only thing he effectively did was getting Cam on his team and keeping him there. I think Blake admitted it himself too.

I bring this up because recently I rewatched some episodes from season 6, and all the coaches did heavy coaching. They weren't as jolly during coaching sessions (including Blake, which is quite a contrast to now) and were quite strict in molding the contestants into who they want them to be on stage. Now they are just cheerleaders mostly. Which should be a more comfortable experience for the contestants but sort of defeat the purpose of the show and having a "coach".

Edited by waving feather
2 hours ago, waving feather said:

I bring this up because recently I rewatched some episodes from season 6, and all the coaches did heavy coaching. They weren't as jolly during coaching sessions (including Blake, which is quite a contrast to now) and were quite strict in molding the contestants into who they want them to be on stage.

Blake has always coached as much as was needed. If he had someone that had a strong feel of who they were and what music they wanted to sing he let them pick their song. When he had people who were unsure or had no idea he steered them into something that he thought would help. Adam most often used to pick the songs for his singers. I think covid has effected the amount that the coaches interact with their singers.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, waving feather said:

Blake did almost no coaching with Cam. The only thing he effectively did was getting Cam on his team and keeping him there. I think Blake admitted it himself too.

I bring this up because recently I rewatched some episodes from season 6, and all the coaches did heavy coaching. They weren't as jolly during coaching sessions (including Blake, which is quite a contrast to now) and were quite strict in molding the contestants into who they want them to be on stage. Now they are just cheerleaders mostly. Which should be a more comfortable experience for the contestants but sort of defeat the purpose of the show and having a "coach".

I completely lost interest this season, but I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that people really just don't wanna see anyone be told that they need to do better. We've devolved into a society where if you're not gonna tell me how amazing I am, don't talk to me at all. The coaches on this show and the judges on American Idol do nothing but rah-rah these people, regardless of what needs to be worked on. I watched the earlier part of this season before I zoned out, and from the POV of someone who has a working knowledge music and recording, there were several teachable moments where the coaches just told the contestants how great they were. If good TV is the goal, this wasn't it.

• Love 2

Late to this thread.  Just combining thoughts for both parts of the finale.  It was a good finale with each contestant having at least one good song.

Glad Cam won but tired of Blake winning.  I thought Victor should have been at least 3rd or 4th because of Freedom.  It wasn't his best vocally but he really gave his all in that performance.  I could tell that John was disappointed.  Reading Facebook comments, the performance was controversial and I'll just leave it at that.

Depending on the contestant, Blake sometimes leaves them to do their thing.  I think John, Kelly, and Nick give more vocal technique pointers though.  Gwen mostly comments on image and performance.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:00 AM, KristenR said:

I could’ve sworn the President Obama thing was mentioned on the show at some point. 

It was as was the YouTube videos. They showed them before his blinds. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:36 PM, realdancemom said:

Late to this thread.  Just combining thoughts for both parts of the finale.  It was a good finale with each contestant having at least one good song.

Glad Cam won but tired of Blake winning.  I thought Victor should have been at least 3rd or 4th because of Freedom.  It wasn't his best vocally but he really gave his all in that performance.  I could tell that John was disappointed.  Reading Facebook comments, the performance was controversial and I'll just leave it at that.

Depending on the contestant, Blake sometimes leaves them to do their thing.  I think John, Kelly, and Nick give more vocal technique pointers though.  Gwen mostly comments on image and performance.

Blake has been with the Voice from the beginning so it makes sense that he won the most. I think Covid played a role in the lack of coaching. Blake and Cam have such different voices I don't know how much coaching Blake could have done with him. I think Ryleigh would have benefitted from having more time with her coaches she didn't spend much time with John or Kelly. I missed seeing the duets with the contestants.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:07 PM, kathyk24 said:

Blake has been with the Voice from the beginning so it makes sense that he won the most. I think Covid played a role in the lack of coaching. Blake and Cam have such different voices I don't know how much coaching Blake could have done with him. I think Ryleigh would have benefitted from having more time with her coaches she didn't spend much time with John or Kelly. I missed seeing the duets with the contestants.

I'm o.k. with Blake winning with somebody like Cam or a country artist like Sundance.  However, sometimes, it seems like his fans just choose his contestants because they like Blake and average contestants especially if they're country are in the finals.  Since music is subjective, they probably do like those artists and people can vote for whoever they want.  So it is what it is.  The season where this was really obvious was the season that Maelyn won.  I'm happy that she won but the cross battles were brutal and that season wasn't as enjoyable to watch.

I agree with your opinion on Ryleigh.

• Love 1