Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

Ten years after the Season 3 finale, Emmy-winning drama series In Treatment returns for its fourth season with Emmy winner Uzo Aduba (Mrs. America, Orange Is The New Black) as the observant, empathetic Dr. Brooke Taylor, the therapist at the center of the season.

(edited)

The Colin episode (#2) was a lot more compelling than the Elodia (?) episode (episode #1).  Obviously the in person appointments will be a lot more fun to watch than anything over Zoom.  Zoom appointments are incredibly realistic, but are they fun for me to watch?  Doubtful.   I have a much harder time following the dialogue for one.

I love Uzo.  Interested to see what's next.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I thought the Colin episode was superior to the Elodia one, too.  The dynamic between Colin and Brooke was intense.  She's obviously a professional and used to it, but it got to her on some level given she poured herself a drink as soon as he left (unless that has become her coping mechanism du jour and we'll see more of that as the season goes on).  

Also, have to agree with Colin that her house is magnificent (as is her wardrobe).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also, have to agree with Colin that her house is magnificent (as is her wardrobe).

That house looked so familiar to me. I feel like it was either on Insecure or it was used as where Monk had his therapy sessions on Monk (or both or neither :-)  - either way really beautiful! Uzo looked great and is owning the role.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I need that green jacket TUH-DAY. I'm watching the Laila episode now and she's in a beautiful royal blue suit with a long jacket - she looks great in bold colors like that.

I had to pick up my father's ashes months ago. I had to steel myself to do it. I cried when I got them and I had to pull over on the way back because I was crying so hard. I can't imagine leaving them there, but I do know what it's like not to want to deal with them (and the rest of the logistical stuff that has to be taken care of when someone dies).

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

good lord, is no one watching it?  
I'm enjoying this, although some of that is totally shallow - Brook is so statuesque and  gorgeous, and her clothes are amazing.

Not a huge fan of Laila, I know they needed someone youthful whose emotions are still in a state of flux, but what a bunch of cliches.  And there is no way in the world she's bond with Brooke over earing candy.  I did like her sponsor, Rita, I had assumed it was her therapist.  Actually, given how many unresolved issues Brooke has (baby, father etc) I'm surprised she's a therapist herself.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

good lord, is no one watching it?  

I am! I'm intrigued. Brooke is a mess. All the actors are great, especially Uzo. She is magnetic.

I didn't watch the previous seasons because I didn't have HBO back then. I have no idea if the concept of the show is interesting enough for 20 + episodes. But I'll stick around for now.

• Like 1

This is seriously underwhelming. The acting is good but I am finding the patients soooo boring. 

When viewers talk more about the gorgeous house and wardrobes, well that speaks volumes. 

I canceled the series on my DVR. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't believe Colin commented on how nice her house was and then said "What does your husband do?"  Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  He was just so nasty.

"In Treatment" was really good in its day.  There were some great storylines, especially the first season.   I think Season 2 was good too.  I have zero recollection of Season 3 so perhaps I skipped it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Actually, given how many unresolved issues Brooke has (baby, father etc) I'm surprised she's a therapist herself.

I'm not - I've known therapists with messy personal lives.

Joel Kinnaman is sexy to me - I think it's his voice.

9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Not a huge fan of Laila, I know they needed someone youthful whose emotions are still in a state of flux, but what a bunch of cliches.

So often when I watch TV teenagers I think "Kids don't talk like that." Laila was no exception.

• Love 5

I feel like I've known so many Colins in my life. And not in a good way. I'm very interested in Eladio (sp?) 

Not as intrigued by the two new episodes shown Monday. Laila was not very believable to me.

I watched the first three seasons of this show a few years after it came out. I liked it but it got messy by the end.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2021 at 8:46 AM, Empress1 said:

So often when I watch TV teenagers I think "Kids don't talk like that." Laila was no exception.

It seems totally ludicrous to me that she would attack someone for being Gen X of all things.  That makes zero sense.  LOL!  The media has skipped over Gen X's existence for the past 10 or so years.  It was de rigueur to attack Gen X before she was even born, and then as soon as Millennials aged into being ..... ......... 18?  Not sure?  The attacks started in on us.  

I've seen writers attack Boomers in retaliation, like, you raised Millennials and now you are attacking them, and you're voting for Brexit and against  future and youth interest, but Gen X?  I have not seen that.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Gen X is just a bunch of lazy slackers! Like, you know, whatever!

Michelle McLaren directed many episodes of Breaking Bad which had the character "Don Eladio" so maybe that's where that name comes from.

I hope Brooke lays down the law with Grandma next week about honking the horn during Laila's session.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PotterOtherP said:

I hope Brooke lays down the law with Grandma next week about honking the horn during Laila's session.

I feel like it is Grandma that really needs the sessions.  That woman's control issues were the elephant in the room during that discussion between Brooke and Laila. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I found Brooke's wardrobe. choices for each episode interesting. With the boy she felt motherly toward, she wore a tight low-cut dress with a corset-like belt that emphasized her large breasts.  With the middle-aged man, she wore a looser low-cut blouse with a jacket. For the teen's appointment, her blouse had a higher neckline and she was enveloped in a long, heavy-looking coat that looked way too warm for a sunny California day.  For her booty call, she looked like she was dressed for an expensive night out, then he shows up in jeans and a denim jacket. But I don't think she was surprised.

One thing no one has mentioned, she has a sponsor, apparently for AA, but after Colin left, she poured a heavy shot of liquor from a half-full bottle. I wonder what he triggered in her??

• Love 2
On 5/24/2021 at 11:05 PM, LoveLeigh said:

This is seriously underwhelming. The acting is good but I am finding the patients soooo boring. 

When viewers talk more about the gorgeous house and wardrobes, well that speaks volumes. 

I canceled the series on my DVR. 

This is so true. I wanted to state I'm not feeling it, but thought that's not very generous...  I should wait and give the show a chance. Though it does say something that I (like others) am   noticing the apartment, and her wardrobe choices and not thinking I want to see what happens next with this or  that character.

I have the earlier seasons 1-3 on DVD. The shows were compelling from the beginning.

• Love 1

I love listening to Anthony Ramos talk - a lot of that dialogue isn't very natural (the line about Brooke wielding her intellect in a dangerous way jumped out at me) and he makes it sound natural. His story about all the white kids singing "Living on a Prayer" cracked me up. I also loved the line about how loneliness in NYC has a romance to it - I'm going to be stealing that because it's true. I've expressed a similar sentiment about exactly that, but that line summed it up better than I have.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I love listening to Anthony Ramos talk - a lot of that dialogue isn't very natural (the line about Brooke wielding her intellect in a dangerous way jumped out at me) and he makes it sound natural. His story about all the white kids singing "Living on a Prayer" cracked me up. I also loved the line about how loneliness in NYC has a romance to it - I'm going to be stealing that because it's true. I've expressed a similar sentiment about exactly that, but that line summed it up better than I have.

They inserted two lines that really made me roll my eyes.  One was that the stain on his ceiling looked like the Wu-Tang symbol.  Ok, please.  Nobody would say that to their therapist.  I forget what the other one was but I found it be another example of trying way too hard to make him sound young and hip.

Anthony was great in this episode and I really get the whole picture of Eladio now.  I don't remember anything from his first episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

Much as I love Uzo, her wardrobe and house (and Joel K.), I realize I have no interest whatsoever in anything else, neither the various patients nor the therapist.    I'm checking out for the rest of the season. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, LoveLeigh said:

I think there are no DeMarcos. Eladio is delusional. 

Interesting thought!  I might even care about him now.  

On 5/30/2021 at 7:58 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Are we ready for Uzo to get yet another Emmy for yet another show????  😀. I'm down!

Not betting on Uso.  Have you seen Mare of Easttown?  

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying this fourth season. I've watched the other three also. I'm rewatching now. I wish Brooke had answered the phone call with Paul. I'm eager to see how all that ties in.

• Love 2

I laughed when Brooke mentioned Silk City. It’s a real place in Philly (where Wharton is). I guess Adam has been in her life for a very long time - most of her adult life, I think.

I related to some of what Brooke was saying in her session with her sponsor. I think many of us have that bad guy in our pasts - I definitely do, except he’s out of my life for good. And I think it’s natural to wonder about the road(s) not taken, and her putting a son up for adoption would certainly leave a lot of questions.

Uzo looked great in those jeans and black turtleneck and huge earrings.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BC4ME said:

I wish Brooke had answered the phone call with Paul. I'm eager to see how all that ties in.

I think we earlier saw that Brooke had that paperweight from the Baltimore-Washington Psychoanalytic Institute which was where Paul had been a student, done work and met Gina.  I wouldn't be shocked if that was the connection between he and Brooke.  Perhaps he was her teacher or supervisor at some point in her career.

I really do like watching Brooke's session with Colin.  He seems to almost overwhelm her.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Would the show actually pay Gabriel to appear?  Even for his voice?  LOL.  It was like a shoutout to the old fans without having to spend anything.  So cheap.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Uzo looked great in those jeans and black turtleneck and huge earrings.

Yes.

10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Would the show actually pay Gabriel to appear?  Even for his voice?  LOL.  It was like a shoutout to the old fans without having to spend anything.  So cheap.

In the first episode, they showed a picture of Paul and Brooke together in her house.  Now maybe it was Photoshopped, but I wouldn't be shocked if Paul makes an actual appearance, given they keep showing Paul trying to reach out to Brooke.   

• Love 3

I found Brooke's wardrobe. choices for each episode interesting.

Her wardrobe is divine, and styled beautifully, but it seems a bit unrealistic. I don't know anyone who dresses fabulously every minute of the day. I'm too busy checking the wardrobe out to focus on the stories.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Her wardrobe is divine, and styled beautifully, but it seems a bit unrealistic. I don't know anyone who dresses fabulously every minute of the day. I'm too busy checking the wardrobe out to focus on the stories.

But it's her job, she works from home, right?  There are some people who definitely go to work every single day dressing fabulously.

But I get what you're saying in that she ALWAYS looks good, even when she's not doing appointments.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the new season, and I hope it gets renewed. The only patient I'm not a fan of is Laila. She irritates me so much. I find the other two more interesting and I look forward to their sessions. Seeing someone say they think Eladio is delusional is a good guess. I never considered that. If the Delmarcos aren't real then where is he really? 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, AllThatJazz91 said:

If the Delmarcos aren't real then where is he really? 

I'm thinking maybe he is a rich boy living in that huge house just making up all these stories about being poor, etc.  LoveLeigh suggested he is delusional, but maybe he us just a bored brat enjoying the attention he gets. Saying he was hired to care for Jeremy after meeting the DeMarcos in a restaurant rang very false. If his stories are all lies or delusions, how long before Brooke figures it out, and how will she handle him?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

I'm thinking maybe he is a rich boy living in that huge house just making up all these stories about being poor, etc.  LoveLeigh suggested he is delusional, but maybe he us just a bored brat enjoying the attention he gets. Saying he was hired to care for Jeremy after meeting the DeMarcos in a restaurant rang very false. If his stories are all lies or delusions, how long before Brooke figures it out, and how will she handle him?

That would be a interesting twist. I would definitely like to see how Brooke would handle something like that. Especially since I think she is living out a son fantasy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AllThatJazz91 said:

That would be a interesting twist. I would definitely like to see how Brooke would handle something like that. Especially since I think she is living out a son fantasy. 

I'll be interested to see if Eladio is for real but I'm thinking they won't do that again since Paul had a patient fool him in the third season.

I'm only interested in Eladio and Colin.

Throughout the entire series, way too many people are educated and/or smart. Not that I have anything against that. They just seem over-represented.

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, BC4ME said:

Throughout the entire series, way too many people are educated and/or smart. Not that I have anything against that. They just seem over-represented.

I can believe that because the population that would be able to afford a therapist in private practice would skew that way - remember, Eladio said something like "when I found out how much you charge, I wanted to ask the DeMarcos to just give me the money." Therapy is expensive - even if you use insurance (and many therapists don't take insurance), it's expensive.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4

Re: the idea that Eladio is making up the family, we did hear the father ask him to turn down the music last week, when he had turned it up so he could say something to Brooke without them hearing it.

Also, I think it's possible that Brooke has the wonderful wardrobe and styling, and beautiful and orderly home to compensate for the chaos she feels on the inside.  She can control her outer life, if not her inner one.

• Love 4

Considering how perfectly she dresses and keeps her home,  I was shocked that she gave Colin a bottle of water and no glass.  That is hardly high-class!  Then he only drank part of it, so I guess she threw the rest away?  We are in a drought lady!!!  Maybe she used the leftover water on her plants. Then Laila drank from a bottle, and Brooke drank her vitamin water from the plastic bottle.  You are ruining my image of you Brooke!!!

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't even think about that.  We're in a pandemic so that's exactly how I'd handle it.  Serving bottles so that everyone touches each others' drinks the least amount possible.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

I don't love Brooke's interactions with her AA sponsor, Rita.  Maybe it's just a repeating theme of the season, but they seem to have a really bad sense of boundaries.  I feel like Brooke needs some serious professional help in dealing with her issues over the baby she put up for adoption and those surrounding her father.  That isn't Rita's role, and she can't really serve as a substitute.  It also sounds like Brooke and Rita have badly blurred the lines between being sponsor/sponsee and friends, and Rita is kind of giving into Brooke's manipulations not to leave her, when Rita really needs to detach from Brooke (which Rita herself said).  

Also, is it just me, or is Laila hinting a lot at suicide, but for whatever reason, Brooke is just not picking up on it?          

• Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, is it just me, or is Laila hinting a lot at suicide, but for whatever reason, Brooke is just not picking up on it?

It's not just you! I think Brooke gets it, but she doesn't take it seriously. If something does happen to Laila by the season's end, there isn't going to be enough alcohol in LA to blunt Brooke's pain.

I don't care for the sessions with Rita either. Lots of talk and angst leading nowhere.

• Love 3

Is it common for a sponsor to show up at the house, demand to see the bottles, and offer life counseling on all your personal. problems?  This seemed like overreaching yo me, but maybe it is the process, I don't know. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The main reason I don't think that Eladio is making up the DeMarcos is that they are paying for this treatment so Brooke would see their names on whatever payment was used (credit card, check, etc). I guess if Eladio is super delusional then it's possible that he went to the trouble to create accounts with fake names to fool her, but in this case I think the most obvious answer is what's real - the DeMarcos exist and are paying for his sessions.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Good point that the DeMarcos myst be paying for the therapy, so they do exist.  But he might have a different last name -- the husband could be his stepfather, Eladio could be a nephew or other relative, etc.  I just don't believe he came from a poor family or that he was hired to care for a disabled son because they met him in a restaurant.  But we shall see, eh?

Edited by MBayGal

Um, why are we seeing scenes from next week with Colin?

Brook said: It's our last session.  That's all the time we have. Goodbye.

She totally has his number(Narcissist ...and conman) and it sure seems like she's not about to tell anyone he's changed one bit. So what else is there?