Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: For Whom the Bell Tolls

• Start Topic

Baez confides in Danny and asks for help in proving her innocence after she finds a corpse in her front yard; Erin struggles to find a peaceful solution when she receives harsh case notes from her boss.

It's enjoyable watching Jamie slowly turn into his father. That to me, was the best part of this episode. 

I feel like there was a scene missing from this episode (something left on the cutting room floor that needed to be included). Erin's boss sending her the note seems to come out of nowhere. Show us Erin messing up in the courtroom, or if that's too difficult, write in a scene where Erin or someone else talks about the giant mistake she made in court. The note the boss sends seems to come out of nowhere and is drama for the sake of drama. If they want that to be the conflict, there are better ways of setting it up.

The Danny/Baez story seemed like a total waste of screentime. What I was really hoping we'd get to see and I am totally disappointed we didn't get to see were the sessions with the psychiatrist. I would have loved to have seen Baker's session and Garrett's session with the psychiatrist. Also, I was really impressed with Garrett basically conning/daring Frank to meet with the psychiatrist. 

I wasn't paying full attention while watching and I ended up having no idea what was going on in the Jamie/Eddie storyline other than they were clashing over a cop's punishment. I had to rewatch those scenes with closed captions on to get what was going on. I didn't have the same issue with the other storylines. Weird

It certainly seemed like there was some spark between Danny and Baez, especially why she didn't tell him she was dating. The sudden appearance of the fiancee in Baez's house holding a knife certainly made me jump a little

I get that Erin is annoyed that her new boss is giving her notes (and took the job she really wanted) when the old one didn't, but this is a new boss with her own ways, so can't she just suck it up and be less touchy instead of telling the lady she works with her not for her. She's the boss!

Interesting stuff Frank told the shrink. We've been seeing various things weigh on him the last few seasons

• Love 5

I wonder if the Danny/Baez scene about Feeling "awkward" discussing her dating history is a step towards ,or a step away from a Danny/Baez hookup/relationship?

I'd also like to have seen some of the sessions between the shrink and Garrett, Baker, and Sid.

Did Frank say that Sid "is taking some time off"?(in the scene near the end where Baker and Garrett were trying to make excuses for Sid's absence)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MDL said:

Did Frank say that Sid "is taking some time off"?(in the scene near the end where Baker and Garrett were trying to make excuses for Sid's absence)

Yes, that's what it sounded like to me.

• Love 2

Unless I missed something, I don't think the DA's notes were about something Erin did "wrong."  I think they were about strategy and  how to proceed with a case.  In either case, it proved to me (once again) what an entitled bitch Erin can be.  Next to Nikki I dislike Erin the most.   It's interesting that they portray mother and daughter.  They're cut from the same cloth.   

A while back I said that before the show ends, I hoped they would find a love interest for Danny.  After last night's episode, I think Baez might just be it.  

I was happy to see that Sean got into the college of his choice.  Between Sean getting ready to go off to college and the possibility of  a Danny/Baez romance, I wonder if they're setting us up for the end of Blue Bloods.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I was happy to see that Sean got into the college of his choice.  Between Sean getting ready to go off to college and the possibility of  a Danny/Baez romance, I wonder if they're setting us up for the end of Blue Bloods.  

Yeah, I was wondering that myself, including Frank having some psychological issues with loss

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Yeah, I was wondering that myself, including Frank having some psychological issues with loss

Yes.  I forgot to mention Frank. 

The other piece is Jamie.  He's finally comfortable in his own skin  I thought he handled the officer's latenesses correctly.  I've been pregnant and had morning sickness.  The idea that a husband has to be late for work three times in one week because his wife had morning sickness is ridiculous.  All he needed to do was put some ginger ale, crackers and an empty wastebasket next to the bed and give her a towel or two.  There's nothing else he can do for her.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Yes.  I forgot to mention Frank. 

The other piece is Jamie.  He's finally comfortable in his own skin  I thought he handled the officer's latenesses correctly.  I've been pregnant and had morning sickness.  The idea that a husband has to be late for work three times in one week because his wife had morning sickness is ridiculous.  All he needed to do was put some ginger ale, crackers and an empty wastebasket next to the bed and give her a towel or two.  There's nothing else he can do for her.

Regarding the officer with the sick wife, that did seem weird to me that he had to stay with her and be late to work. I can see it if there are kids to take care of, but no kids were mentioned, and I can see it if the morning sickness really laid her up, but it didn't sound like it

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Regarding the officer with the sick wife, that did seem weird to me that he had to stay with her and be late to work. I can see it if there are kids to take care of, but no kids were mentioned, and I can see it if the morning sickness really laid her up, but it didn't sound like it

I know there are some pregnancies that have extreme issues.  I think Kate Middleton had whatever it's called.  You're right.  This didn't sound like one of those.  Eddie kept saying she "didn't feel well."    Bid deal.  I've gone to work when I didn't feel well.  It was a ridiculous side story but now that I think about it, maybe they're setting us up for an Eddie pregnancy.  

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4

Eddie and Jamie's working relationship is not working, she seems to have no boundaries with his position versus her position. She seems to want there to be conflicts of interest and input in his decisions.  She basically wants to greenlight everyone being late for what ever reason multiple times, if everyone has a reason then let everyone be late. Jamie was right, he let the first 2 times go.  

The grandson that's in a dangerous position because of Frank? Is that Joe? 

Baez's awkward relationship talk with Danny and even his "test" interrogation" did seem like something was going to happen with them. She did go to family dinner that one time also.  For potential love interests for Danny goes, I think she'd be great.  I like her better than Eddie.

• Love 6

Personally, I think Frank's "talk" with the shrink was a cop-out. (Pun intended.) All he did was recite facts the entire audience knew. Plus, and I've meaning to say this for the last eight years, I have gotten tired of his "dramatic" signs and finger-thumping on the desk. Last night, I got to wondering if the director had Frank's desk mic-ed to catch the thumping it was so frigging pronounced.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Eddie and Jamie's working relationship is not working, she seems to have no boundaries with his position versus her position. She seems to want there to be conflicts of interest and input in his decisions.  She basically wants to greenlight everyone being late for what ever reason multiple times, if everyone has a reason then let everyone be late. Jamie was right, he let the first 2 times go.  

The grandson that's in a dangerous position because of Frank? Is that Joe? 

Baez's awkward relationship talk with Danny and even his "test" interrogation" did seem like something was going to happen with them. She did go to family dinner that one time also.  For potential love interests for Danny goes, I think she'd be great.  I like her better than Eddie.

Oh, I forgot about the grandson Joe. I was so confused because I thought Jack was in college and couldn’t determine why he would be in danger. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MDL said:

I'd also like to have seen some of the sessions between the shrink and Garrett, Baker, and Sid.

I loved Baker and Garrett trying to make excuses for Sid. I fully expected Frank to compare them to his kids and comment on how he knows when one (or more of them) is trying to cover for another. 

3 hours ago, AnnA said:

I know there are some pregnancies that have extreme issues.  I think Kate Middleton had whatever it's called.  You're right.  This didn't sound like one of those.  Eddie kept saying she "didn't feel well."    Bid deal.  I've gone to work when I didn't feel well.  It was a ridiculous side story but now that I think about it, maybe they're setting us up for an Eddie pregnancy.  

I fully expected Eddie to say something like "Is this what it's going to be like for us if I'm pregnant?" 

3 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

Personally, I think Frank's "talk" with the shrink was a cop-out. (Pun intended.) All he did was recite facts the entire audience knew. 

We're only seeing the first minute or two of what is clearly going to be a real session, not like the five minutes he had with the psychiatrist earlier in the episode. That being said, I really wish we could have seen more of Frank's actual session. 

• Love 3

Please save Baez from Danny-Baez! Hasn’t her character suffered enough without 24/7 Danny?

And that psych was so annoying in his first scene I’m surprised Frank had him back. But yes, would love to see Garrett and Baker get some psych time.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Artsda said:

Given I was only paying half attention the first time, I had no idea why Eddie was pushing it, then the rewatch revealed that she had signed up as a union rep or something (which Jamie considered a conflict of interest), so it made sense why she needed to discuss it with Jamie. But it also seemed like she was pushing him further than she needed to for no apparent reason, plus there was her apparent need to baby the late cop when he was clearly in the wrong. It was a bit of a weird storyline

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, preeya said:

Looks like Gormley will (may) be leaving the show. He might have another job awaiting somewhere else.

Yes.  Something is up.  I  think there have been a few signs that they're working toward a final season.  I'm not sure there's enough time left for this season to be the end but if they do get renewed, next season will surely be the last.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, DanaK said:

get that Erin is annoyed that her new boss is giving her notes (and took the job she really wanted) when the old one didn't, but this is a new boss with her own ways, so can't she just suck it up and be less touchy instead of telling the lady she works with her not for her. She's the boss!

I agree. I was really disappointed to see the DA back off of Erin when she threatened to quit if she was forced to toe the line. I think AnnA referred to her as an "entitled bitch" and I have to agree with that assessment. The Reagans need to fail every once in a while, instead of always coming up with ways to snap everyone else back into line. If I was the DA, I would have fired Erin for insubordination. Reagan or not, you just don't mouth off to your boss like that and expect to get away with it, let alone treated to a nice lunch! Christ! What a bunch of crap. Toss the skinny bitch out on her ass and hire people who are going to support you. 

By the way, no one has mentioned Baez's adorable little pup with his matching jacket and cute little booties!

download.jpg

Edited by Ebau
  • Love 5
On 3/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, AnnA said:

It was a ridiculous side story but now that I think about it, maybe they're setting us up for an Eddie pregnancy.  

I hope not. The last thing I (we) need is another "baby story-line." I'm watching about four shows right now that are using babies/pregnancies and I simply HATE them.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ebau said:

By the way, no one has mentioned Baez's adorable little pup with his matching jacket and cute little booties!

That is actually Donnie's dog, Lumpy.  He adopted him when he started on Blue Bloods.

As for the episode...I said to myself "this is just bizarre."  While I had a feeling they were slowly teeing things up that Erin was going to resent working for the new DA, her raging at the start of the episode due to the notes had me thinking "that's a big leap, what the hell happened?"  As someone else wrote, there should have something in between that there was some sort of strained relationship.  However I didn't think about Erin being entitled, I felt that she didn't want to be micromanaged by someone who barely knows her.  I'm the same way.  

Interesting that Frank was allowing himself to let his guard down a bit to the shrink. God knows he's been through a lot in the past decade, and that's with dealing with 4 mayors over 11 seasons. 

I really hope Danny and Baez are NOT end game.  Can't we leave them as close friends and nothing more?

• Love 4

well, i have to say that I think that was about the worst episode writing I have seen yet on BB.

where to start ...

2 or 3 times I was able to deliver the lines as they were spoken, that is how predictable the scenes went. "you could have knocked" came out of my mouth with Erin's Boss for example.

When Baez found the body, I saw nothing showing that Baez knew the victim. no "hey are you okay", no "OMG - Johnny!!" (or what ever the vics name was). Really made it confusing for the viewer as to why IAD was investigating Baez until it came out that she had been dating the vic

the whole practice interrogation by Danny - that was a new one, getting grilled by IAD is common for this show and most other cop shows - never have I seen a practice grilling, only reason I can see is to have Danny pry into "were you intimate" questions. ick. big ick. 

what was with the boss saying "well I did" when Erin denied thinking that the boss got the job because she was black. Not a line that I would expect to have no followup and no reaction.

does a seasoned detective not have locks on her door? The vics fiancee just appeared in the kitchen in front of the [back] door

Baez has no end of fighting equipment right at hand in the kitchen, and a big thick fridge door for a shield. Has she never had tactical training? or watched a Jackie Chan movie?

finally Baez tropes the cliche of hitting the fiancee over the head with a frying pan *after* Danny takes care of things. Come to think of it, my dear departed mother loved to shout "hit him with a frying pan" whenever a TV show had a fight in the kitchen... maybe she could have written for this episode

one good line, the through away "my bad" from Anthony when Erin claimed "It's not the same thing"

• Love 3
On 3/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, AnnA said:

Unless I missed something, I don't think the DA's notes were about something Erin did "wrong."  I think they were about strategy and  how to proceed with a case.  In either case, it proved to me (once again) what an entitled bitch Erin can be.  Next to Nikki I dislike Erin the most.   It's interesting that they portray mother and daughter.  They're cut from the same cloth.   

no disagreement on the mother-daughter cloth cutting, but I think that the boss was purposefully treating Erin like a newbie lawyer "reminding her" to do things like arrange for witnesses and the such. It was said as much during the lunch that the boss was going to make life so miserable that Erin quits instead of the boss having to fire her.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, zapper said:

does a seasoned detective not have locks on her door? The vics fiancee just appeared in the kitchen in front of the [back] door

That was so poorly done. Danny sees a signal from her phone on the computer and drives all the way to her house without calling her first to warn her or see if she's ok? 

• Love 2

Lord.....what backwoods school is Shawn going to to that is still sending letters of acceptance? My girl is a junior and my boy is a frosh and not one letter came to the house - its all in the application portal.  

So the ring doorbell alert went off on Danny's laptop and NOT on Baez' phone?  You'd think she's be glued to the app considering that someone was just murdered on her front lawn.  But no, she's sitting in the dark drinking wine, without her weapon nearby.  PLEASE.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

That was so poorly done. Danny sees a signal from her phone on the computer and drives all the way to her house without calling her first to warn her or see if she's ok? 

And he arrived so fast that he would've had to teleport to get there when he did.

I really hope Danny and Baez are NOT end game.  Can't we leave them as close friends and nothing more?

This! 

• Love 2

I took the ending dialogue between Baez and Danny to indicate that they were going to remain just that, good friends, then Danny looked right at her meaningfully and said, “And that’s OK.” I took it as indication neither one wants to take the relationship further at this time. Also, closed captioning revealed that Baez immediately uttered “Eamon” when she turned the victim over. No OMG, just a very audible gasp when she saw and identified the body.  If cc wasn’t on, I don’t think I would have caught the name, it was fast. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Daff said:

I took the ending dialogue between Baez and Danny to indicate that they were going to remain just that, good friends, then Danny looked right at her meaningfully and said, “And that’s OK.” I took it as indication neither one wants to take the relationship further at this time. Also, closed captioning revealed that Baez immediately uttered “Eamon” when she turned the victim over. No OMG, just a very audible gasp when she saw and identified the body.  If cc wasn’t on, I don’t think I would have caught the name, it was fast. 

I think you're right.  They're not going to take the relationship further "at this time."  Of course, in TV Land, that could mean this episode, this season, or this scene.  I think they threw it out there as a possibility, giving us something to ponder and discuss.

The fact that Erin told her boss she could work "with her" but not "for her" was the most outrageously arrogant Erin could possibly be.  I did call her an entitled bitch and she proved my point.  If I was her boss, I would have seriously considered firing her for insubordination.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, Artsda said:

I wonder how close he lives, maybe it's same Queens area. Because it made no sense to not even send her an 911 text. 

That was odd.   I don't know where Baez lives but Danny lived on Staten Island.  I know he's in a different house but no one said he changed locations.  No mention was ever made of the boys having to change schools.  They were both in high school and typically that's not something parents want to make their kids switch if it's avoidable.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Erin told her boss she could work "with her" but not "for her"

Technically she’s right. She may report to the DA but she works for the city of New York. I’ve told several bosses that We can work with or against each other but I work FOR the company. Still, the way she said it definitely caused a raised eyebrow. No one likes to be criticized. And it’s insulting to be given notes about how to do your job when you’ve been doing that job successfully for many years. But there was absolutely a better way to handle it. Even Anthony told her to simply write ‘thanks for the input’ and then proceed to ignore the notes. That would have been the mature way to handle it. And unless she screwed up, her boss would never know the difference. Instead she decided to throw a tantrum...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Lord.....what backwoods school is Shawn going to to that is still sending letters of acceptance? My girl is a junior and my boy is a frosh and not one letter came to the house - its all in the application portal.  

I have friends whose kids still got letters in letters of acceptance for the next school year. So I guess it varies?

1 hour ago, AnnA said:

That was odd.   I don't know where Baez lives but Danny lived on Staten Island.  I know he's in a different house but no one said he changed locations.  No mention was ever made of the boys having to change schools.  They were both in high school and typically that's not something parents want to make their kids switch if it's avoidable.

Yeah, that made NO SENSE at all.  I'm pretty sure when Danny moved into the new house, it was mentioned it was still close to the kids' school so they can walk to it, which would mean Staten Island (even though they actually shoot those scenes in Forest Hills, Queens.)  Also, Baez had uncorked wine in her fridge? 

24 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Even Anthony told her to simply write ‘thanks for the input’ and then proceed to ignore the notes.

Anthony may not be the smartest guy when it comes to wordplay, but he probably gives Erin the best advice out of everyone. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, AnnA said:

I don't know where Baez lives but Danny lived on Staten Island.  I know he's in a different house but no one said he changed locations.  No mention was ever made of the boys having to change schools.  They were both in high school and typically that's not something parents want to make their kids switch if it's avoidable.

Why would the boys have to change schools because they moved? They go to a private Catholic school, so where they live doen't matter as long as they can still get to school. Private schools, even day schools like the one Jack and Sean attend, often draw from multiple neighborhoods/towns.

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I have friends whose kids still got letters in letters of acceptance for the next school year. So I guess it varies?

Yeah, that made NO SENSE at all.  I'm pretty sure when Danny moved into the new house, it was mentioned it was still close to the kids' school so they can walk to it, which would mean Staten Island (even though they actually shoot those scenes in Forest Hills, Queens.)  Also, Baez had uncorked wine in her fridge? 

Anthony may not be the smartest guy when it comes to wordplay, but he probably gives Erin the best advice out of everyone. 

yes letters are mailed simultaneously as the portal is updated.  I promise you, no one is waiting at the mail box for their letter.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Why would the boys have to change schools because they moved? They go to a private Catholic school, so where they live doen't matter as long as they can still get to school. Private schools, even day schools like the one Jack and Sean attend, often draw from multiple neighborhoods/towns.

I went to private Catholic schools in New York City so I get it.  You would have to understand the geography of the city.  If they were attending school on Staten Island and moved to Queens, they would have to change schools.  The commute would be impossible.    Remember way back when Sid thought  Frank was going to transfer him and he was afraid it would be to Staten Island?   He lives in New Hyde Park and that's on the Queens border.   He said the commute would kill him.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, Sake614 said:

Technically she’s right. She may report to the DA but she works for the city of New York. 

No.  I don't believe she's right.  If that were true, technically no one working for the City of New York has a boss.  That doesn't make any sense and would make it impossible to run a department or the city.  It would mean no one has to listen to their CO in a precinct.  No one has to listen to Commissioner Reagan and ADA's don't have to listen to the District Attorney.  That's just not the way it works.    The DA could fire her so she's her boss whether Erin likes it or not.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
On 3/27/2021 at 1:39 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I feel like there was a scene missing from this episode (something left on the cutting room floor that needed to be included). Erin's boss sending her the note seems to come out of nowhere. Show us Erin messing up in the courtroom, or if that's too difficult, write in a scene where Erin or someone else talks about the giant mistake she made in court. The note the boss sends seems to come out of nowhere and is drama for the sake of drama. If they want that to be the conflict, there are better ways of setting it up.

I think that's the point.  Erin didn't mess up and she feels like she's getting remedial instructions.  I think she should just suck it up.  I usually don't mind Erin, but she was giving me a ridiculous vibe this week.

I think Eddie's pregnant.  

I'm not really sure why the husband had to be late every day just because his wife was throwing up. It's kind of a solitary activity.  But, maybe that's just me, becuase people get on my last nerve when I'm sick. Not only do I not want anyone holding back my hair, I don't want anyone within a 5 mile radius.

I don't think I could wait 700 years to open the letter from my first choice college.  It was Sunday. He must have had that sucker for 24 hours.

• Love 2

So Eddie not only took the union gig despite Jamie telling her it would look bad, but she did so without giving him a head's up? How fucked up is that? If you really believe it's the right thing to do, then fair enough, then do it, but don't hide it from your husband. That's just totally absurd.

And then after Jamie obviously gets backed up by the CO because he was clearly correct and the union had absolutely no reason to get involved for something so obviously reasonable, Jamie then backs down...for what? To help his wife's union rep record or some such nonsense? That doesn't make any sense and if anything, it would seemingly lead to even more nonsensical complaints because people will think that Eddie can get Jamie to reverse obvious positions just to please her. What a shitty storyline.

However, what I really want to talk about is. "Who's the letter from?" "My first choice college." "What's that?" "It's a letter from his first choice college." "Huh?" "It's from his first choice college, the college that is his first choice. He doesn't know if he's accepted to his first choice college." "Cowboy up and open it, Sean." "Okay. Wow! I got into my first choice college!" "Yay! Sean's going to his first choice college!" 

You can always just make up a college, dudes, you don't have to avoid naming it in such a bizarre fashion. No one avoids naming the school that many times. It was so ridiculous. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

However, what I really want to talk about is. "Who's the letter from?" "My first choice college." "What's that?" "It's a letter from his first choice college." "Huh?" "It's from his first choice college, the college that is his first choice. He doesn't know if he's accepted to his first choice college." "Cowboy up and open it, Sean." "Okay. Wow! I got into my first choice college!" "Yay! Sean's going to his first choice college!" 

You can always just make up a college, dudes, you don't have to avoid naming it in such a bizarre fashion. No one avoids naming the school that many times. It was so ridiculous. 

Show probably hasn't decided where they want him to go.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Show probably hasn't decided where they want him to go.

You're right!  I think that's why they didn't name the school.   It may depend on whether or not they're renewed for another season.   He could opt to go to school locally and continue filming or go off to college like Jack did.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

The new DA came into the office with a personal grudge, for whatever reason, against Erin. She chose to repeatedly demean Erin and made it clear that that was the way it was going to be. Period. Erin let her know that she wasn't going to work in that environment and would move on if that's how the DA was set on behaving. The DA had a choice- lose a valuable member of the team, and do harm to the DA's office, because she has a personal bias, or treat Erin with the respect she would give any other experienced, effective member of the team. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, zapper said:

in this week's episode (Guardian Angels) the Governor revealed one of the reasons that he didn't pick Erin for DA.

Reveal spoiler

Erin is a pain in the ass.

Bingo!  

• Love 2