Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Girl Meets Father

Here's a sneak peak clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7LYT6lUPnc&list=UUKJqAeTZQo88aBEeBW44LGg

Lucas' only chance of salvation as a character is pairing him with Maya and not Riley. The ages and looks feel right, he's a little bit sassier and more personality-having with her, and they bounce off each other as opposites. Then he starts talking to Riley and it's like the life gets sucked out of both of them. Riley's great. Better than Lucas' sorry ass. She just doesn't work with him.

• Love 1

Here's another sneak peak: http://www.eonline.com/news/562247/is-cory-and-topanga-s-daughter-growing-up-too-fast-in-this-girl-meets-world-sneak-peek

I also agree with you, MoonWalker. I really like Maya and Lucas's teasing of each other. I love Riley, but I do hope they don't pair her with Lucas. If he has to stick around, he has the most chemistry with Maya.

Both of these sneak peaks makes me really excited for this episode. This show just keeps getting better, in my opinion.

(edited)

I know this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but I get so annoyed that they all have the same pageant-y hairstyle! For goodness sake, they are still kids after all. How about some variety in their hair. It just ages them. And Riley's whole "I want to paint my face" is laughable considering those girls obviously have makeup on already. 

I hope they won't focus too much attention on boys, makeup, flirting, etc. and make a lot of emphasis on Riley dealing with things that acknowledge character, strength, talents, her social life etc. I mean, obviously it will be fine to have ALL of it, it's not that the whole romance thing shouldn't be there. However, call me old-fashioned, but they are in "7th grade" supposedly and this shouldn't be the focus at that age. 

That being said, Sabrina is a really promising actress! She's doing a great job as Maya. 

Edited by purpleflowers
(edited)

Cory's struggle to deal with Riley growing up is becoming a bit too much. It's fine to address that on the show and get some comedy/drama from it, but at this point, it feels redundant, and I hope the writers tone it down a little. I'm not trying to sound insensitive, and I do think it's a relatable issue for all parents. I liked what Cory said about his concerns that once they stop a family tradition, it tends to go away forever because its no longer a priority. That I can appreciate. But come on, really? He's freaking out because his daughter wants to go to a school dance? Can't they just go to Coney Island the next day if they're worried about the tradition being lost?

And Maya walking out of class was way out of line. I do not believe kids today can get away with that.

Edited by MoonWalker

I didn't mind the episode. It felt less Disney-fied, which is a good thing. Is it just me, or was there less of a laugh track? I'll have to re watch it to be sure on it. 

I think it kind of fits Cory tbh, he kind of over reacted to stuff in BMW too. It would be nice if it were dialed back a bit though.

Probably. But it does kind of fit the character, for what it's worth. Glad she was able to learn though in the end.

On the one hand, the relationship between Cory and Maya is freaking ADORABLE. 

On the other hand, it sure does feel like they're fast-forwarding a lot with their relationship. It's episode, what, four? And he's already essentially calling her his daughter (something that obviously also more or less happened with the Matthews and Shawn, as well, but not for a number of seasons). 

Still, it's so darned adorable that I can't help but be cool with it. They sure did cast Riley and Maya well. 

• Love 1

That old clip of the men in the cast dancing was hilarious! Man, I can only imagine William Russ "What's that? I have something to do this episode? Oh great! What's that? Synchronized dancing?!?!"

By the way, I forgot to mention - did this episode slyly (and bizarrely) drop in some intelligent design theory via Lucas? Leaving room in evolution for "a guiding hand that has your best interests at heart"? Say whaaaaaaa?

That old clip of the men in the cast dancing was hilarious! Man, I can only imagine William Russ "What's that? I have something to do this episode? Oh great! What's that? Synchronized dancing?!?!"

By the way, I forgot to mention - did this episode slyly (and bizarrely) drop in some intelligent design theory via Lucas? Leaving room in evolution for "a guiding hand that has your best interests at heart"? Say whaaaaaaa?

O_o I didn't view that in that way. I thought it had to deal with her growing up, as in her parents helping to guide her.

O_o I didn't view that in that way. I thought it had to deal with her growing up, as in her parents helping to guide her.

That's how Cory used it, yes, but Lucas initially brought it up in the discussion in class about Darwin and evolution. 

• Love 1

That's how Cory used it, yes, but Lucas initially brought it up in the discussion in class about Darwin and evolution. 

Ah. I see, will have to re watch it to catch that. Guess Lucas was brought up (possibly) in a household that believes in it. 

He's freaking out because his daughter wants to go to a school dance? Can't they just go to Coney Island the next day if they're worried about the tradition being lost?

I think the tradition was that they went on the last day the Coney Island roller coaser was active so there wasn't a next day possible.

I'm sort of enjoying this but many of the conversations don't seem like ones real people would ever have. I like Corey being a surrogate father for Maya, but it felt like he could have taught her better and not just been "say whatever you think". I'm also sort of taking people walking out on Corey's classroom as a running joke that he just goes with: it feels like later BMW seasons where weird stuff would happen and they'd comment on it and let it go.

Can't they just go to Coney Island the next day if they're worried about the tradition being lost?

No they couldn't cause they always went on the last day, thus the next day it wouldn't be open anymore for the year.

I was expecting them to come out with something like evolution doesn't mean that there is no G-d, so when Lucas came out with that quote I assumed they were just trying to be more subtle about it. Now that you mention it, it does sound a bit like intelligent design. I kind of have a feeling they weren't going for that but they just had some poorly written dialogue. That seemed to be a problem throughout this episode.

On the one hand, the relationship between Cory and Maya is freaking ADORABLE. 

On the other hand, it sure does feel like they're fast-forwarding a lot with their relationship. It's episode, what, four? And he's already essentially calling her his daughter (something that obviously also more or less happened with the Matthews and Shawn, as well, but not for a number of seasons). 

Still, it's so darned adorable that I can't help but be cool with it. They sure did cast Riley and Maya well. 

I actually thought Maya and Cory didn't know each other enough. Maya and Riley have supposedly been best friends for years. We're just meeting them, but with the exception of Lucas all of these people should know each other well. Cory being the father who works in his kids school would probably be pretty involved in her life. He would already have developed a connection to Maya. Also, maybe it's just growing up in a small town, but I also thought the Matthews would already know about Maya's home situation.

I know this show is not about Topanga. I have a theory though that we're about to get a big plot twist. They're going to reveal that Cory and Topanga split up years ago, Cory adopted two kids and Topanga moved in as the nanny. I can't imagine Topanga being so detached from everyone otherwise. She's so bland. Maybe she's really Lucas' mother. I kid, but something is off.

I liked Riley in this episode more than I had before and I also disliked Cory more. Maybe they're each better in small doses. The dialogue was awful and they've already overused the walking out of class bit. I shouldn't beat up on the show too much for it's flaws though. I think they're really trying to do a lot and I appreciate the show's ambition. Hopefully it will keep improving.

(edited)

I liked it, but I do still think the show has some ways to go. I think they tried to push the emotionalism too much to the point where it was like every other word out of Cory, Maya, Riley, or Topanga's mouth was meant to be a big emotional moment where the audience was expected to go "Awwww". And that's only a mild exaggeration, there were at least a dozen moments where it seemed like they were gunning for that, and that's like 10 too many.

It was just a way melodramatic episode. It kept feeling like this episode was just Cory, Maya and Riley trading off overreacting to every single thing each one of them said and in ways that didn't feel natural. Sabrina did her best to sell it, and I guess she mainly did, but Rowan still has a little ways to go to feel natural in these more dramatic scenes, and honestly Ben Savage feels pretty rusty to me too. This might be unpopular but I'm struggling to believe him in almost anything he's tasked with that isn't a typical Cory-ism (i.e. being a weird curmudgeonly Jewish manchild) It's not that he can't handle dramatic material, I saw him do it day in and day out on Boy Meets World but I think he just hasn't been acting much and so a lot of his skills have atrophied and he needs to get'm back.

Good episode for Topanga (though Danielle continues to also be rusty). Lucas continues to bore me, (get him away from Riley and with Maya if you have to keep the kid).  Auggie also continues to be great. He really gets some of the best lines of the show. And the lines of the show are often really funny sometimes I wish some of the actors like Rowan felt strong enough to deliver them all. And I like Rowan and I like Riley, don't get me wrong, she just doesn't feel very experienced at this and it shows.

Edited by NickDisnCart
  • Love 1

I'll give this show one more chance.  After that, I'm done.  The pacing is all over the place, Cory as a teacher needs to  gain more control over his class. It bugs me there's no consequences for these kids when they act up. Also the show needs it's own identity. Maya's an interesting enough character but if I have to hear one more time that she's a tortured soul with a bad home life...

This episode would've been a lot better if they would've concentrated more on either Maya's school issues or Cory's issues with Riley growing up. Not enough time to give both issues the attention they deserve.   Let's end with something positive. I liked seeing Topanga finally get some alone scenes with her daughter.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show is trying so hard to be deep! It's so hard to watch. Everything in this episode came across unnatural. I wanted to like it, I really did. 

I felt the opposite about this episode. I thought they did ok with it.

As for Topanga, that's how I felt about the first couple of episodes. Now, not really. She doesn't seem all that bland or rusty to me.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

I absolutely thought Lucas was referring to intelligent design. The kid is from Texas. In this day and age, he'd be taught that evolution is just a theory, but intelligent design is fact. It totally fit with his character.

(edited)

I absolutely thought Lucas was referring to intelligent design. The kid is from Texas. In this day and age, he'd be taught that evolution is just a theory, but intelligent design is fact. It totally fit with his character.

Forgot about that /facepalm. Makes sense. Hope it won't be beaten over people's heads though, and that both sides will be represented in a fair manner.

@ Skyfall: Good catch! :)

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

Forgot about that /facepalm. Makes sense. Hope it won't be beaten over people's heads though, and that both sides will be represented in a fair manner.

I doubt we'll ever hear about it again. The evolution link has been made. Now we'll move onto some other random topic.

I know this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but I get so annoyed that they all have the same pageant-y hairstyle! For goodness sake, they are still kids after all. How about some variety in their hair. It just ages them. And Riley's whole "I want to paint my face" is laughable considering those girls obviously have makeup on already. 

I hope they won't focus too much attention on boys, makeup, flirting, etc. and make a lot of emphasis on Riley dealing with things that acknowledge character, strength, talents, her social life etc. I mean, obviously it will be fine to have ALL of it, it's not that the whole romance thing shouldn't be there. However, call me old-fashioned, but they are in "7th grade" supposedly and this shouldn't be the focus at that age. 

That being said, Sabrina is a really promising actress! She's doing a great job as Maya. 

I agree this whole post. While Riley looks more like Corey and Topanga, Sabrina is the better actor. She's older and it shows. She and Lucas have a lot more chemistry which is a bit strange for me to say on a tween show. Personality wise, Maya is better with Lucas. He's more interesting when they tease each other. I zoned out when Riley talks to Lucas.

I keep watching this show in hopes of seeing other BMW alumni. I'd love it any of the Matthews showed up or Shawn! Ok, I'll start read the recaps before I watch an episode so I'll only tune it when that happens.

I actually thought Maya and Cory didn't know each other enough. Maya and Riley have supposedly been best friends for years. We're just meeting them, but with the exception of Lucas all of these people should know each other well. Cory being the father who works in his kids school would probably be pretty involved in her life. He would already have developed a connection to Maya. Also, maybe it's just growing up in a small town, but I also thought the Matthews would already know about Maya's home situation.

I got the impression that the Matthews knew about Maya's home situation, but they never heard it from Maya herself. I like to think that Cory is so open with his love for Maya because of Shawn. He knows what it's like to have the best friend with the bad home, and how much his own parents helped Shawn. 

RIley will end up with Farkle cause they've been friends their entire life like Topanga and Cory.

That's what I've been thinking as well. Farkle is strange and smart, like Topanga was back in the day. I also really like the idea of a story where the handsome crush turns into a good friendship, and Riley is okay with that. 

• Love 1

I agree with MaiSoCalled.  I definitely got the impression that Cory and Topanga knew about Maya's home life and they were essentially trying to spare her having to talk about it at the end.  I enjoy Cory's relationship with Maya and thought the dance at the end was so very sweet AND well done. 

While I agree that Lucas and Maya seem a much better match than Riley and Lucas, I can't imagine the show going there.  It has already been established that Riley has a huge crush on Lucas.  To have him turn around and date her best friend would be the ultimate betrayal by Maya (you don't date the boy your friend likes.  Prepubescent handbook, page 3).  The only way I could see that working is if they have Riley completely lose interest in him some time before these kids reach an age where they want to "date", develop a crush on someone else and then let enough time lapse (and let them age up to a maturity level where I could buy it happening) and then Lucas and Maya could discover an interest in one another.  Actually, the show could go another way and have Riley go completely boy crazy and leave her interest in Lucas was in the past.  It could be a running gag that Riley develop a new crush each week and, while this is happening, a real friendship could be established between Lucas, Riley and Maya (and Farkle!). 

(edited)

This was my favorite episodes of the ones that have aired so far.  Still can be really heavy handed on the messages and the melodrama, but I thought Boy Meets World was also heavy on the melodrama.  Especially in the later seasons.  But I thought the Maya stuff was sweet and the way they are shaping the relationship between Cory and Maya is sweet.  

I also thought Topanga worked better here than she had in previous episodes.  It felt like she was less on the outskirts of the family.

Rowan, while adorable, does need to do some growing in the acting department.  She's perfectly fine for a Disney show and I think she will settle in as she goes, but I am wondering a little bit what sort of actor she will be when she grows out of her cutesy stage.  It's also a little jarring because Sabrina is a great little actor, which if anything makes it stand out that Rowan isn't quite there yet. 

I am hoping that we will have episodes soon that deal with things besides crushes and make-up.  I don't have a problem with that, but I'd like them to show Riley in other lights as well.  There are other issues in life, even in 7th grade.

Edited by spanana

I also agree with you, MoonWalker. I really like Maya and Lucas's teasing of each other. I love Riley, but I do hope they don't pair her with Lucas. If he has to stick around, he has the most chemistry with Maya.

They hit a home run with casting that girl, didn't they?  She's consistently the best part of any episode.  Even the over-the-top boo-hoo "I'm both poor AND abandoned by my father" stuff isn't so bad with her, because the girl can actually act (it's the dialogue in those parts and the mopey sad music they play that's a bit cringe inducing, as opposed to her delivery).  

I doubt Farkle is ever going to get any action, so probably the best best is to bring in another boy for Riley at some point, after some suitably dramatic incident with Lucas, where we find out that he's far more interested in Maya than Riley, and it "tests their friendship" (and teaches the requisite Meets World lesson of the week).

I also thought Topanga worked better here than she had in previous episodes.  It felt like she was less on the outskirts of the family.

Not that the show can afford to have another set (a law office set would be quite expensive--at the very least for the number of extras required), but they need to do SOMETHING to show poor T outside of the apartment.  I recall there was some lame rumor in the pre-production stage that they were going to have her give up being a lawyer and open some kind of Kid-Friendly store of some type.  I'm glad they didn't go that route, because it would have betrayed what the character was already established as being like/about.  But by NOT doing that they've instead kept her in Apartment Hell.  Someone clever needs to come up with an idea and get poor Topanga OUT of Apartment Hell!  For Season 2 at least, since I think all of Season 1 is already in the can.  

Also, I know the show is on a really strict budget, and also that they want to keep Ben's face around as much as possible, but can we see at least ONE other teacher?  Or at least a principal/vice-principal?  They even had Corey, who had JUST changed from having the time off to chaperoning, be the one who got up and made the announcements at the dance.  I know SOME kids won't notice this kind of crap, but I bet the smarter ones do. In fact, it's an old standby for a vice-principal to be a bit of an antagonist, and while it IS a cliche it's one most of us can accept.  Why haven't we seen such a person?  I imagine it would help juice up both Corey AND Maya's characters, since we'd probably be able to squeek out a situation where Corey has to go to bat for Maya (which would be a good plot development, in fact).

• Love 2

I know this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but I get so annoyed that they all have the same pageant-y hairstyle! For goodness sake, they are still kids after all. How about some variety in their hair. It just ages them. 

Hmm.  I was on the fence about posting this, because seeing it might rile you up even more!

Here's a video with interviews with the two girls, out of character, where not one but BOTH of them have hair different from their characters (not in the opening shot, which is official Disney stuff, but later in the clip where it's this media outlet interviewing them)

Holy crap!  Did was last name they slapped on Farkle for real in that video?  DID I JUST IMAGINE HIS NAME IS "FARKLE MINKUS"?

It can't be.  This PopStar outlet must have made a mistake.  Corey calls him "Mister Farkle",  Implying it's a last name.

Hmm.  I was on the fence about posting this, because seeing it might rile you up even more!

Here's a video with interviews with the two girls, out of character, where not one but BOTH of them have hair different from their characters (not in the opening shot, which is official Disney stuff, but later in the clip where it's this media outlet interviewing them)

Holy crap!  Did was last name they slapped on Farkle for real in that video?  DID I JUST IMAGINE HIS NAME IS "FARKLE MINKUS"?

It can't be.  This PopStar outlet must have made a mistake.  Corey calls him "Mister Farkle",  Implying it's a last name.

My eyes, my eyes O_O. Nope, you didn't imagine it.

I thought it was as well. Because Farkle... isn't something you'd see as a name. Usually.

Well, Minkus isn't exactly common, either.  :-)  I guess, assuming Farkle is related to THAT Minkus, that he wanted his kid to stand out.

And with such an unusual name, stand out, he does!

• Love 1

The Wikipedia page for the show has an unattributed (ergo, unproven) description of Farkle that supports this. It only gives "Farkle" as his name, but concludes:

Farkle (Corey Fogelmanis), is a very close friend of Riley and Maya. He is very smart, and is a very big flirt, while also being quite unusual. He is the son of Cory and Topanga's former classmate, Stuart Minkus, with whom he shares many similarities.

That said, it's not particularly hard to believe given that we know via public casting information that Minkus himself will eventually appear.

Hah! Thumbs up on cueing it up to the right place!

(I only learned that trick recently--you have to play an embedded version, then pause it, then hit the button to jump to the full YouTube version and use THAT URL)

I guess that settles it. He's Farkle Minkus.

Not that the show can afford to have another set (a law office set would be quite expensive--at the very least for the number of extras required), but they need to do SOMETHING to show poor T outside of the apartment.  I recall there was some lame rumor in the pre-production stage that they were going to have her give up being a lawyer and open some kind of Kid-Friendly store of some type.  I'm glad they didn't go that route, because it would have betrayed what the character was already established as being like/about.  But by NOT doing that they've instead kept her in Apartment Hell.  Someone clever needs to come up with an idea and get poor Topanga OUT of Apartment Hell!  For Season 2 at least, since I think all of Season 1 is already in the can.

Maybe they can have her volunteering at a local rec center where the kids hang out or something? 

(edited)

If Topanga is a lawyer, shouldn't she actually BE at work sometimes?  How is it she is home for dinner every night and never has work spread out on the table?  She must work for the only law firm in the country that actually lets it's employees work 9-5.

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 1

If Topanga is a lawyer, shouldn't she actually BE at work sometimes?  How is it she is home for dinner every night and never has work spread out on the table?  She must work for the only law firm in the country that actually lets it's employees work 9-5.

That's what I've been wondering as well. But it is a Disney show... but here's to hoping they'll break through the stereotype and show her at work sometime.

That's what I've been wondering as well. But it is a Disney show... but here's to hoping they'll break through the stereotype and show her at work sometime.

Yeah, but the show is clearly on a draconian shoestring budget.  Think about the fact that they can't afford even a SINGLE other adult actor to show at the school, or another set as simple as a teacher's break room.  

If they have to do it and save money I imagine they could limit Topanga's "office" to just the single room with her desk though.  It's not a great solution, but even just a few cutaways to her at work there might help.  Someone parenting /being a spouse by phone is a fairly realistic thing and it wouldn't hurt to show it.

I know the show isn't about Cory and Topanga, but I would settle for a nice little scene where Topanga is busy with work, papers all over the table or whatever, and she doesn't have time to immediately focus all of her attention on Riley and Corey the second they walk in the door.  It could upset Riley that she actually wants to talk to her mom and can't because mom is busy so maybe she makes a wrong choice because of not getting Topanga's input or something. 

Back to the topic of the episode at hand, I am growing to love Farkle more with every episode.  I loved his little speech to the girls about half the dances with each of them and his happiness to get one dance with each which is what he wanted all along.  It made me smile.  I am a sucker for boy/girl friendships like that.

I just love this show but the one person I don't like is Riley. I love Maya, Lucas, Auggie is adorable and Farkle cracks me up.  Can't wait to see Corey's parents, Shawn, and Mincus!

It really depends on what kind of firm she works at and what kind of law she practices.  My husband is an attorney at a firm in Chicago, and, yep, he works pretty much 9-5.  Hell, some days, he's home early.  I can see Topanga having the same attitude my husband has - yeah, I could work at a higher-paying "big" firm, but I like to actually see my family and be home before my kid's in bed every night."  

• Love 1

Yeah, but the show is clearly on a draconian shoestring budget.  Think about the fact that they can't afford even a SINGLE other adult actor to show at the school, or another set as simple as a teacher's break room.  

If they have to do it and save money I imagine they could limit Topanga's "office" to just the single room with her desk though.  It's not a great solution, but even just a few cutaways to her at work there might help.  Someone parenting /being a spouse by phone is a fairly realistic thing and it wouldn't hurt to show it.

Good point. Hope the show does well enough that they can branch out more in that area though.

Yea that would be useful and would help in regards to bringing in a more realistic setting.

maya got on my nerves, girl DO YOUR HOMEWORK you're not special. walking out of class when the teacher is "disciplining you". psh, my 4 year old niece knows how to put her baby brother in place better than corey can these students. U_U this episode is one that i like nevertheless, i liked the whole scene when maya was getting some help from corey and riley. thought that was a good scene, sometimes we need to help people with simple things like homework :) but she shouldn't have gotten her grade changed, bet he wouldn't do that to other kids. idk all in all i do like this episode a lot. sabrina did shine as always, but still her walking out the class made me want to bop her >:)

oh and the scene at the dance smh <3<3<3<3<3 hands down beautiful and sweet. she deserved that dance just as much as any other girl :]

• Love 1