Type keyword(s) to search

RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under: G'Day, Mate!

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, aussieinsydney said:

I can't wait for this... obvs. 😄 Scarlet Adams and Etcetera Etcetera for me based alone on what I've just watched.

Someone is going to have to tell Michelle Visage that etcetera is pronounced exactly as it looks: eTcetera. If she keeps pronouncing it eKcetera all season, I may have to murder her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

S1.E1

Meet the Australian and New Zealand drag queens competing to become down under's first Drag Race superstar. It's a hometown homage this week, as the queens showcase their personalities at the `get to know you' ball.

Original air date: 5/1/21

On 3/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, Rai said:

I have been dying to see Karen From Finance ever since Katya and Trixie talked about her on Unnnh. I may finally subscribe to WOW Presents!

Yup- this was my motivation. My daughter and I are busy binging the second UK season while we anxiously wait for Australia. No way I was passing on Maxi Shield and Karen From Finance.

• Love 4

I'm guessing they cast the queens on accents alone; even as an Aussie I found some of them incredibly hard on my bloody ears.

Nude illusion will never be one of my favourite runway themes and the hometown looks were a little underwhelming, except for Karen from Finance, who I suspect has this competition in the bag.

Ru is really phoning it in if he's going to judge in boy drag all season.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I'm guessing they cast the queens on accents alone; even as an Aussie I found some of them incredibly hard on my bloody ears.

Whew, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I've watched Aussie and Kiwi shows in the past and never had an issue understanding what was being said but that first scene in the workroom when everyone was doing their entrances was just ten minutes of me thinking, "What did they just say?"

I loved Art Simone's paint palette entrance look. It was fun and colorful. What made it even more impressive was seeing how perfectly painted her face was and then seeing his naked boy face in the talking heads. The fact that he can go from that regular looking boy face to that gorgeous drag face is impressive.

Maxi Shield must be drinking the blood of virgins because out of drag, that is not a 46 year old face. His mother must have started putting sunscreen on his face from birth because wow, he has gorgeously moisturized skin. My only complaint about Maxi's entrance look was that the skin underneath the cleavage was a different color which was distracting.

I liked Jojo's pop art entrance look. Between the white highlights, the plastic looking red wig, and the see through skirt, I was loving it.

I hated Elektra's entrance look, mainly because the flesh colored fabric cutouts of the body suit were a completely different color from her face and legs which completely destroyed the illusion. I had to laugh when Simone said Elektra's hair was parched because damn, it looked bad in the closeups but apparently the queens could see it all the way from the table on the side of the room. I also really didn't like Elektra's eye makeup in any of her looks in this episode. I couldn't believe she said described herself as expensive while I was looking at that wig and costume.

Scarlet's red suit was a bit boring, even with the studded accessories. But she has a model thin body so she still looked pretty good.

Coco's sequined entrance dress was pretty but forgettable.

Kita's entrance look was so over the top which is why I loved it. Between the giant molded pink ponytails and the bright colors of the dress, that was A LOT of look (but in a good way - this is drag, after all). I wasn't crazy about her makeup though.

Etcetera's brown look would have been cute without the cockroach antennae. I wish she had put on a cute pillbox hat instead and been one of those old fashioned cigarette girls because it was a really cute little dress.

Anita's tuxedo-ish devil was fun. It is going to be an interesting dynamic to have business partners Kita and Anita competing against each other plus their employee Elektra.

Karen from Finance already cracked me up when she couldn't find the mark she was supposed to stand on. I love that her middle aged suburban bookkeeper look was so obvious.

The Thor audition mini challenge was not amusing to me at all.

I really liked that we got to watch the queens get out of drag and unpack their stuff in the workroom so that we could hear them chat and get to know them.

Nude illusion is not my favorite runway theme because it's usually mediocre to bad. It's rare that I see a look that is amazing.

I felt bad for poor Scarlet when her silicone outfit ripped just before the runway. Thank goodness she was able to sew it up because she looked amazing. That was my favorite naked look of the evening. I loved her black swan look.

I didn't really get Maxi's naked look. It wasn't really nude and I didn't get the Madonna vibe she was talking about. But I thought the shimmery coat was pretty. I had mixed feelings about her prawn look. I liked the orange color but the head covering looked like it was made out of construction paper. I was glad when she took it off, but then she no longer really looked like a prawn.

I get that Elektra was doing an homage to Ru (I'm glad they showed a photo of the original look for comparison) but the color of the nude bodysuit was all wrong and it was obvious that it was opaque, like thick dance tights so there was no illusion of nudity for me. Her hometown look was a mishmash of too many things. I wish she had left out the faux fur rainbow cape (for me, faux fur always cheapens a look). I don't know why Ru had a problem with the "pretty girl" hair. Now I really want to know what kind of wig Ru thought would be better for this look. Three different looks in one episode and I hated her eye makeup in every single one. I don't know what the exact problem is but whatever she's doing consistently makes her eyes look very harsh.

Coco's nude look was so amateur hour for me. The concept was fun so I wish she had pulled it off better. Rhys nailed it when he said it looked like she just got some pillows from Kmart. The big pink hair was cute but it was covering the earrings she was bragging about. The gorilla look was funny and she really committed to it. I thought the judges might not like it because it didn't give her an hourglass silhouette so I was glad that they liked it too.

I get that Etcetera was making a statement about being non-binary with her nude look but I was so distracted by the fact that her face was completely white. It made her look like a naked clown. In her hometown look, she had slightly more skin toned makeup on her face but she still had a really huge portion of her face that was white. WHY? I didn't get her hometown look but I'll chalk that up to the fact that I'm not Australian. I just thought it was unfair that Ru said Elektra's look needed an explanation about how it represented her hometown because I could say the same thing about Etcetera's grey look with flowers on the sleeves.

Jojo's eye makeup was pretty and I give her credit for doing a better job matching the nude shade of her bodysuit to her skin tone, but I was so distracted by the line at her waist where her top and bottom met. I liked that the rainbow colors she used for her hometown look were a more toned down version, if that makes sense.

Karen's nude look was so fun. At first I was wondering why she had on so much clothing for a naked look but once she did her reveal and we saw the tan lines, I loved it. Her drunk lady at the races was hilarious, but I also loved that orange and white striped dress.

Anita's naked Eve look was fine but not memorable. Her sheep look was a little too costume for me, but her makeup was really pretty.

Kita's naked look had several problems. First was the skin tone. Second was the opacity. Third was how loose it was. There were really visible wrinkles on her arms even from a distance. I couldn't decide if I liked her hometown rugby look. I liked the dress but it looked like she took a black dress she already and added the collar and numbers on the back to make it suitable for this runway theme. I thought Michelle Visage would comment on Kita's black hair with the white streak!

Art Simone's half and half nude look was cool but I wasn't sure if the judges would ding her for having one half not naked. I liked her hometown look. The black cape was very sophisticated but I didn't think it was very hometown so I liked when she turned it inside out and we got the colorful graffiti look. I hated that wig though.

Congratulations to Karen! I'm looking forward to seeing what she brings the rest of the season.

Damn, I was sad to see Jojo go home. Honestly, I think I would have preferred to see more of her than Elektra. Feel free to prove me wrong and start killing it, Elektra!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I think the implication is Ru's drag gear didn't arrive in time for filming and the drag sequence was filmed after the fact, buuuut given they all had to quarantine in a hotel for two weeks before being allowed into New Zealand proper, my guess is Ru's stylists tested positive in quarantine and this was their way of avoiding Ru having to dress herself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Elektra Shock has some busted lewks, but she's my favourite so far, so I am so glad she turned it out in that lipsync and got to stay. I really hope she gets to stick around another few eps. I don't think a Bimini-style phoenix arc is possible, in these circumstances, but it was nice for her to show some moves and personality after being so looked down upon by the others on arrival and after their surprise at her well-earned mini challenge win. Go the underdog!

I don't like those moulded wigs at all, but one of those probably cost as much as Elektra's entire wardrobe, to my mind. I really hate the amount of money needed to walk through the door of the werkroom these days, but a lot of these queens seem ingenious and able to whip a good look together without spending a fortune (cough, Gottmik), whatever their budgets are.

Loved Art Simone's style and chic, also Scarlet Adams' home town look; and Kita Mean is endearing in the talking heads, etc.

I'm still recovering from Etcetera Etcetera's nude look. Sweet Jesus!

So excited for Snatch Game!

• Love 2
(edited)

Episode 1:

I'm rooting for Art Simone and Coco Jumbo!

I'm amazed that so many of these queens did not understand the assignments given for the maxi challenge.

How amazing (and shady) to have business partners and their employee competing together.  Elektra needs to get it together.  Jojo Zaho was a catty bitch and I was hoping she would win the lip sync, but that was so low energy.

12 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Nude illusion will never be one of my favourite runway themes and the hometown looks were a little underwhelming, except for Karen from Finance, who I suspect has this competition in the bag.

After the second queen spoke, I just gave up and put on the closed captions. 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1

I’m interested to see how Australian drag translates to the world of RPDR. I am no expert but the world of pageants, balls and banjee is a whole universe away from the midnight show at the Xchange Hotel that I grew up with and to me still epitomises “down under” drag. What I see so far suggests competitors that tend to the latter rather than the former. I think Michelle will get it but Ru may struggle. We’ll see.

• Love 1

I was very disappointed to see the only Aboriginal queen go home first, but there's no doubt Jojo lost the lip sync. I really wish the first week would be a non-elimination to let them settle into the competition a bit.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hated Elektra's entrance look, mainly because the flesh colored fabric cutouts of the body suit were a completely different color from her face and legs which completely destroyed the illusion. I had to laugh when Simone said Elektra's hair was parched because damn, it looked bad in the closeups but apparently the queens could see it all the way from the table on the side of the room. I also really didn't like Elektra's eye makeup in any of her looks in this episode. I couldn't believe she said described herself as expensive while I was looking at that wig and costume.

I get that Etcetera was making a statement about being non-binary with her nude look but I was so distracted by the fact that her face was completely white. It made her look like a naked clown. In her hometown look, she had slightly more skin toned makeup on her face but she still had a really huge portion of her face that was white. WHY? I didn't get her hometown look but I'll chalk that up to the fact that I'm not Australian. I just thought it was unfair that Ru said Elektra's look needed an explanation about how it represented her hometown because I could say the same thing about Etcetera's grey look with flowers on the sleeves.

Elektra was wearing a Maori korowai - which could have been a statement piece in a really great look, but was just too cluttered with the concept of "land of a 100 lovers" and "land of the long white cloud." Personally I loved the drape of the white dress and felt it did really invoke the latter, and she would have done better committing to that. It says NZ rather than Auckland, but Anita and Kita both did home country rather than hometown.

Etcetera's look was rather abstract - Canberra has a very distinctive street pattern and is surrounded by hills but I had no idea that's what her outfit was referencing until she said so. It's funny that some queens get marked down for "doesn't SCREAM your hometown" and others don't, I guess if they like the outfit it gets a pass.

I thought it was fun though not groundbreaking or as energetic as the first episode of Canada S01 or UK S02. The judging was pretty correct. I think the winner is going to be between Art and Karen. Elektra put up a fight and rightfully won the lipsync though I don't see her lasting much longer. It would have been great if Jojo lasted longer (mostly for indigenous folks visibilty) but she was lacklustre in many ways. Elektra and Etcetera are my trades of the season

S1.E2: Snatch Game

t’s the time we’ve all been waiting for, as the Queen’s don their best celebrity get-up to compete in the infamous celebrity impression Olympics. It’s Snatch Game, baby!

Special Guests: Kylie Minogue and Danni Minogue

Original air date: 5/8/21

Snatch Game contestants:

Spoiler

Karen From Finance - Dolly Parton

Art Simone - Bindi Irwin

Coco Jumbo - Lizzo

Anita Wigl'it - Queen Elizabeth II

Scarlet Adams - Jennifer Coolidge

Elektra Shock - Catherine O'Hara

Maxi Shield - Magda Szubanski

Etcetera Etcetera - Lindy Chamberlain

Kita Mean - Dr. Seuss

(edited)

I was honestly shocked that they were doing Snatch Game so early in the season. In a way it was good because we got to see right away who's funny and who's delusional. Anita was by far the best. Everything she said as Queen Elizabeth was scandalously hilarious.

On the other end of the spectrum, Art as Bindi Irwin was pretty bad, partly because she wasn't funny and partly because she gave such long answers that went nowhere. As we've seen in past seasons, it doesn't matter how recognizable/well known your character is as well as you make it funny. Nothing that Art said was funny.

Elektra did an okay Moira impression with the overpronunciation, but she didn't make it funny. Coco as Lizzo was in a similar boat. She clearly knew things about Lizzo but she didn't incorporate them in funny ways, and she didn't really embody Lizzo's confidence.

I give Kita credit for the effort she put into making all of her Dr. Seuss answers rhyme but I only remember one funny thing she said after it was all said and done. Maxi's Magda wasn't funny at all. I barely remember Scarlet as Jennifer Coolidge. She had the voice and the accent but that was it. Karen looked like Dolly but she lacked Dolly's easy charm and humor.

The sea runway theme was fun.

Art Simone's dress was gorgeous. It was a frothy fantasy gown and I loved it.

Kita's jellyfish look was also great. The little tentacles looked very light and ethereal and they had great movement (I've seen a lot of similar costumes at Little Mermaid events and most of the time, the tentacles look very heavy and stiff). I didn't like her makeup though. I liked the colors but something about the way it was applied seemed too harsh for such a soft look.

Etcetera's deep sea diver look was very literal so I wasn't sure if the judges would like it.

Coco's Ursula look was a little too cosplay for me.

Anita's siren was essentially a bejeweled corset with a long skirt, but it looked beautiful. I loved the windswept hair.

Maxi's mother of pearl inspired look was sparkly and covered in beads but it didn't really seem like it was intended to fit this theme. It seemed more like she had a white dress and she decided to add the accessories to make it fit the sea theme.

Electra's dress looked like a regular pageant dress with a pastel wig.

Karen's shark jumpsuit was hilarious but in the most awesome way possible. I loved it! And her makeup was totally gorgeous. Her runway look made up for the Snatch Game.

Scarlet's coral look was beautiful. I loved all the colors.

I loved that Ru said Anita was the hands down winner. Based on the Snatch Game, I agreed. Her runway look was also really lovely.

I guess Art Simone being eliminated was the big shock of the season? I'm disappointed because I wanted to see more of her looks, but Coco won that LSFYL. Coco was clearly having fun and it was very natural/unforced, which is what I love to see in a performance.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Episode 2:

Snatch Game was entertaining, even with the cringe factor of the queens who didn't follow the main instruction: Make Ru (us) Laugh.

I wonder if Art would have done better if he had done Steve Irwin as opposed to Bindi. 

That lip sync was lackluster on Art's part. Guess that leaves Coco to root for!

• Love 1

"Soz bitch"!

I have slept on it and am still stunned that out of all the lousy Snatch Game performances, Art's - with that well-praised runway- was deemed one of the worst. Coco won that lipsync, though. Art seemed almost glued to the spot for 95% of the lacklustre song. Why no Kylie then? Weird.

Had picked Art for an obvious final place. Instead we got "That. Means. Nothing!" which was something!

• Love 5

I really thought Art's runway would save her from the lip sync, but I can't argue with the results. Of the other outfits, Karen's outfit literally made me laugh out loud, it was so perfect and ridiculous.

I confess, I'd written Anita off after the first episode because she seemed too try hard. Well, shut my mouth, that was an excellent pick for any incarnation of Drag Race. She's got me intrigued! And her confessional about her father shows she does have that vulnerability Ru wants from his queens, even if she couldn't show it in front of Ru.

I'm rooting for Coco to turn herself around, not the least because this becoming an all-white contest makes me very uncomfortable after all the representation on Drag Race Original Recipe. But also I like her personality and her beautiful face. Turn it around, girl!

Looks like Ru's makeup team came out of quarantine by this episode. Yeah?

• Love 2
(edited)

Strewth, that was the worst Snatch Game since....longer than my terrible memory can recall. The funniest thing about it was everyone thinking they'd done such a great job immediately after. Oh, and Anita, obviously.

It's always fascinating when the disappointment of the eliminated queen is so palatable.

Interesting interview with Art here.

Edited by Fake Jan Brady
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Strewth, that was the worst Snatch Game since....longer than my terrible memory can recall. The funniest thing about it was everyone thinking they'd done such a great job immediately after. Oh, and Anita, obviously.

It's always fascinating when the disappointment of the eliminated queen is so palatable.

*read the article* Wait. Art Simone thought that RuPaul didn't know who Bindi Irwin was?  No mama, Ru knew who she was and that you were certainly going to bomb as her.  The lip sync song was "too black for the whites, too gay for the blacks"? Really? I wonder if Art knew he was lip syncing to one of Ru's songs? 

ETA: I listened to "I'm that Bitch" on YouTube and realized that line was one of the lyrics in the song. The last question still applies, though. That's not even the most offensive of Ru lyrics!

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
6 hours ago, Rai said:

I really thought Art's runway would save her from the lip sync

I did too, but I guess the choice was if the bottom two should be someone who bombed the challenge but had a great runway look or someone who was more middle of the road in both. Mathematically you could say both of those situations would average out to 50/100, but my feeling was that at least her runway was good which means she had one positive and one negative this week. Many of the other girls were awful at the Snatch Game and not good on the runway which was two negatives.

• Love 1

Yeah quite a shocker this episode - I didn't think the Snatch Game was any worse than usual. Thought Kita Mean should have been bottom two. Great runway though. Art got Joe Blacked. Maybe she'll be back????

It could just be that Art Simone was not built for Drag Race level competition.  Much like Joe Black, she wasn't prepared on how things are in Ru Land.  Ultimately Ru decides which queen she will favor or tell to sashay away.  One good thing about it is that Art is now a Ru Girl and can use that to propell his drag to higher levels.  Leaving the show has not been a death sentence, not even to the queens who left under worse things than a bad lip sync.

10 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

It could just be that Art Simone was not built for Drag Race level competition.  Much like Joe Black, she wasn't prepared on how things are in Ru Land. 

I think it's hard to really know how prepared a queen is for RPDR after only seeing them for 1-2 episodes which is why I wish they would hold off on eliminations right away. Maybe the first week could be a challenge to win immunity for the second week so that we could get to see the queens a little bit more before someone gets the chop.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2021 at 6:19 PM, Fake Jan Brady said:

Yeah I’ve watched Drag Race since Season 1, Canada, and both seasons of U.K. and that was the *worst* snatch game that ever snatched. I mean it was really, really bad. 

• Love 1

My main takeaway from this episode: Queens Down Under is no Bing Bang Bong.

Electra did a great job teaching choreography to her group. I wasn't surprised to learn that she used to have a dance studio. She explained the steps clearly, she made specific corrections without being mean, and she chose simple moves that looked good and were easy to hit. It was so sad to hear that she lost her studio and her home.

I know that not every queen has the same dance ability so I don't mind when someone who is a better dancer gets a spotlight moment, but there were too many which made it look like everyone else in the group was Electra's backup dancers. The way to avoid that criticism is to give each person in the group little solo moments so that they're spread out amongst everyone.

I will also say that it's to Electra's credit that Maxi is clearly NOT a dancer but the choreography was doable for Maxi and the little moments of the other dancers helping Maxi were fun.

The way Etcetera was trying to take over the choreography in the other group made me think she must have a lot of dance experience. Then I saw her perform and I was like whaaaat? Her movement was so awkward and I saw her make several timing mistakes (like the other three queens all hit a pose on one count and Etcetera was the only one to hit it on the next count). Scarlet handled Etcetera's pushback well in rehearsal though, so good for her.

Electra and Maxi gave the best runway performances. They really sold their characters.

I liked the color of Coco's dress. I agreed that the difference between Anita and Coco making mistakes during their group performance was that Coco seemed a bit flustered when she messed up whereas Anita was so confident that she didn't even bat an eye. She just kept on going like nothing happened. If you watched her performance on mute and just watched her face and dancing you would never know that she had made any mistakes.

Kita was great in the group performance but I didn't like her runway look. She kept doing the same neck movement followed by the same facial expression.

I don't know how the judges said that Electra's prom dress was basic but Etcetera's pink velour suit was safe.

I thought Electra came off as way too desperate and frantic in the LSFYL so I was surprised Ru declared her the winner. Farewell, Coco!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought Electra came off as way too desperate and frantic in the LSFYL so I was surprised Ru declared her the winner. Farewell, Coco!

Imagine if Ru marked her down for drawing attention to herself in a Lipsynch for her life!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I felt sick after watching episode 3. Stop shaming Elektra!

I think Elektra was bottom two to ensure the removal of Coco Jumbo, but somehow Coco, or the emphasis of the camera on her seemed to show, was actually the winner of that lipsync, but then Coco went home. Argh! A great relief that it wasn't Elektra, but I was also hoping for an end to the pain of seeing her trying so hard and doing so well and seemingly getting somewhere and then being again shot down - excessively meanly, it seems to me - in flames. It is not an enjoyable watching experience.

Interestingly, both Art and Coco were enormously bitchy in their talking heads. I feel that this whole season is Ru being waspy and punishing.

• Love 3

It's been three months since I first heard UK Hun and I still randomly sing "BING BANG BONG!" to myself. In contrast, it's been two days since I watched the Down Under episode with the girl groups and I already can't remember anything about that song. If someone offered me a million dollars to sing the chorus right now, I'd be fucked.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm kinda disappointed in this season, because the vibe is not... there ! And, for me, Scarlet is ruining it. She's shady and just... mean.

PS  : ETA : And I add EtcEtc in the mean girls pack !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 3

But at least my girl Elektra was safe for once! That was a relief.

Glad Art's back, with a clearer complexion and a better attitude.

I hope Scarlett Adams and Etcetera Etcetera get shot down one by one now, like bad guys in heist movies.

• Love 5