Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E07: Joe Scarborough, Frank Bruni, Charlamagne Tha God

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, watch, then post. Do not discuss things that were not on the show.  No personal politics. 

• Start Topic

Interview:  Joe Scarborough: Co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe and author of “Saving Freedom; Truman, The Cold War and the Fight for Western Civilization.”

Panel:

• Frank Bruni: An author and columnist for The New York Times, where he recently wrote about the varied reactions to Rush Limbaugh’s death.
  • Charlamagne Tha God: Co-host of the nationally syndicated radio show “The Breakfast Club” on iHeart Radio and author of “Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks on Me.”

Original air date 2021.03.05

(edited)

A,Okay that's it, I am writing and calling HBO Productions I want them to make  a ,one or two hour documentary or better yet a mimiseries on CNN or NatGeo or 60 Minutes or somebody go to. And h08(k(<>ul Bill Maher's ass and let him see.  Go out to the different types of grocery stores that exist in Rich poor and middle class neighborhoods. Let's and see how you cant get vast amount of fruit and vegetable food desert where people will not have access to the fruit and vegetables.  Talk about the cost l. . Give Bill a budget and tell him how to go out and buy money for a group of four people for a week and see what kind of food he has to buy. I know of absolutely no parent that would rather buy fresh fruits and vegetables for a child and good lean meats but instead they just cost too much and we're stuck with $0.89 hot dogs and cheap soil hamburgers and treats and frozen food comes in bulk with lots of corn syrup in Caribohydrates and  chemicals in it but it goes futher.

It's not that most people want to eat poorly the sad part is we really have no other .

Finally I would like to make a comment thathil that made on exercise.., Many of us would love to have the free time bill seems to have the exercise and fortunately for the rest of us for holding down one or two jobs and which part you don't have any time left to spend with your family at all even those who don't have a family don't have time to play exercise. A lot of times older children are taking care of the younger children because there's latchkey kids and women to get outside to play you have to be careful in the neighborhood you live in whether it's safe for them to even go out or do they have to be walked down to a park or are they lucky to have their own backyards if they try to get exercises School many times those programs are cut So we all are being hit with a variety of things the food storage has and the food deserts and the Obesity problem was here before cover in a week after I'm one with the exercise problem and the availability and cost of food maybe while we're still in lockdown instead of using Netflix all the time we can start trying to come up with solutions to these three and Bill I have not got mad at you for the way you've gone after heavy people in obese people but I would just like you to go through an experience like I've mentioned here and maybe you'll change your mind cuz for a lot of people it's not a choice to be this way and that's what hurts when were told it is

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 16

I finally deleted this from my series recordings. I too have been following Bill since his Politically Incorrect days on ABC, and even saw him perform live once, but it's gotten to the point where, as the businesspeople like to say, Real Time was just not adding any value to my life 🙄

• Love 15

Charlamagne Tha God has no fucking room to talk about allegations against Joe Biden or even Andrew Cuomo when he’s on record bragging about giving a woman a Spanish fly and having sex with her while she “wasn’t coherent.” Charlamagne‘s accuser actually took him to court even though he ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge. Look I’m all for giving second chances and accepting apologies for the most part, but don’t be a fucking hypocrite. 

Also I’m glad one of the other panelists pointed out that not only does reparations poll terribly, but the logistics of getting something like that passed on a federal level would be a nightmare. Black people can’t even agree with who should get reparations as it currently stands. I’ve been told I wouldn’t get it for example because I’m a “halfsie” lmao. Like I literally got into with someone who said if you don’t have two black parents, you should be excluded. 

Also, reparations can come in different forms, such as investing more in predominantly black neighborhoods and schools for example. It shouldn’t be limited to a check.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

Charlamagne Tha God has no fucking room to talk about allegations against Joe Biden or even Andrew Cuomo when he’s on record bragging about giving a woman a Spanish fly and having sex with her while she “wasn’t coherent.” Charlamagne‘s accuser actually took him to court even though he ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge. Look I’m all for giving second chances and accepting apologies for the most part, but don’t be a fucking hypocrite. 

Also I’m glad one of the other panelists pointed out that not only does reparations poll terribly, but the logistics of getting something like that passed on a federal level would be a nightmare. Black people can’t even agree with who should get reparations as it currently stands. I’ve been told I wouldn’t get it for example because I’m a “halfsie” lmao. Like I literally got into with someone who said if you don’t have two black parents, you should be excluded. 

Also, reparations can come in different forms, such as investing more in predominantly black neighborhoods and schools for example. It shouldn’t be limited to a check.

Since when did Charlamagne Tha God (and it pains me to have to write his stupid moniker) become a serious political influencer? I first saw him on MTV's Catfish when he co hosted with Neve...all he could talk about was "smashing" women and asking the Catfish victim if he/she got to "smash" their perpetrator. Now he's on a panel on Real Time talking about sexual harassment? Here's a tip to anyone in a position of power in the work world...when you have to converse with a female co worker keep the door open to your office and pretend someone from HR is in the room. End of issue.

7 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I finally deleted this from my series recordings. I too have been following Bill since his Politically Incorrect days on ABC, and even saw him perform live once, but it's gotten to the point where, as the businesspeople like to say, Real Time was just not adding any value to my life 🙄

Amen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Joe Scarborough was good. I watch a good bit of MJ every morning. Bill kept expressing shock at reasonable things Joe said, I think to show he thinks for himself or something, but his objections were idiotic. I think Bill had "Charlamagne Tha God" on to appease the "social justice" community since he's had so many guests on lately critical of things going on in that movement. Unfortunately he was a poor choice -- he's a caricature of that movement and a joke. At least when Charlymane said stupid things Bill and the other guest pushed back.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Once again with obesity as the cause for everything bad. 🙄

Thing is, it's well known that obesity causes all kinds of health problems even before covid came along.

Fine, Bill wants people to say fat people are at greater risk as opposed to saying "underlying conditions."

What is the practical benefit of doing so?  It's not like a high percentage of obese people are going to be able to lose 50 or more pounds in a few months, to make themselves better able to survive a covid infection.

If losing say 10-20 pounds made a huge difference, maybe public health officials would encourage people to do so.  But they don't want people going to gyms (source of spreading of infections) or go on crazy diets unless there was a clear benefit.

I bought an exercise bike to use at home but I was shopping for treadmills and other exercise equipment for months before I made the purchase.  They are out of stock and manufacturers are jacking up prices because demand is high.

So people are looking to do more exercise but unless you're talking about reshaping your body completely, I don't think banging on about being fat makes you vulnerable to severe covid makes a lot of difference.

In general, people should be encouraged to form better habits.  But as Bill mentioned, Coke makes you fat.  Well that's one of the problems it's difficult to fight against the billions spent by soda companies and processed food makers on advertising.  It's still crazy that we consume more soda than water but that's what this world is.

• Love 7
(edited)

Most Americans weren't obese in the 1970s before the government (McGovern's panel) & Big Agra got in bed together and started telling people to eat 11 servings of starch a day, replace natural fats with industrial oils etc., avoid eggs and meat in favor of processed crap. There is a clear, rapid increase in obesity starting in 1977.  Many got fat or obese following the governments' dietary guidelines - that is what Bill should go after!

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

When Bill mentioned the increase in liver disease due to people drinking at home my husband said "What about pot smoking?"  I know that there is not a lot of data about the long term effects of pot consumption, but with more states legalizing it every year, it is only a matter of time.  If it turns out that it is more dangerous than we thought will Bill give it up?

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Since when did Charlamagne Tha God (and it pains me to have to write his stupid moniker) become a serious political influencer? I first saw him on MTV's Catfish when he co hosted with Neve...all he could talk about was "smashing" women and asking the Catfish victim if he/she got to "smash" their perpetrator. Now he's on a panel on Real Time talking about sexual harassment? Here's a tip to anyone in a position of power in the work world...when you have to converse with a female co worker keep the door open to your office and pretend someone from HR is in the room. End of issue.

Amen.

MSNBC and CNN will trot him out every once and awhile to comment on things pertaining to the black community, politics, etc. and I hate it. Sometimes he’ll be featured on panels with other people who are actually taken seriously within the black community and it annoys the shit out of me.

Charlamagne is problematic AF and I really wish they would stop inviting him on when there are so many other more deserving black voices out there.  

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

MSNBC and CNN will trot him out every once and awhile to comment on things pertaining to the black community, politics, etc. and I hate it. Sometimes he’ll be featured on panels with other people who are actually taken seriously within the black community and it annoys the shit out of me.

Charlamagne is problematic AF and I really wish they would stop inviting him on when there are so many other more deserving black voices out there.  

I had no idea he was problematic until I read more about him on Primetimer, maybe The View boards. I'm not sure why some random people are taken so seriously. Alyssa Milano is another one. 

Regarding obesity, while there are people who seem ignorant of the fact it is a major factor with how your body handles this virus, I see where the criticism of Bill is coming from as well. I still like him and thinks he means well. But he is a wealthy single man. A single mom with a "regular" job juggling work and feeding her kids on limited money and time can only do so much. There are things that seem obvious to many of us that may some people don't know. I see it with my own family (i.e. not understanding consumption of a bunch of carbs all day is bad for you even if they're not sweets), but not everyone has money for lots of fresh fruit, trips to the health food stores, organic this and that, gym memberships, etc. Sometimes you just need to make sure everyone is fed and not hungry. I absolutely do not have Bill Maher coins, but I am fortunate in that I have the ability to spend a decent amount of money on food, and I know not everyone does. Because I'm not a multimillionaire, I do still notice just how expensive a lot of healthier food is. Are there people who have the time to be active and don't? Yes. Are there people who have money for healthier foods and blow it on other things? Yep. I also know most of us have a hard time with simple portion control. But I do hesitate to have Bill's attitude about this because I've known way too many people who are not stupid or ignorant or lazy or cheap and are just doing their best. Metabolism is a factor as well. Bill looks like someone who's probably not going to blow up even if he tried. I'm the same way, but I have family and friends who do have to work MUCH harder just to maintain healthy weights. I'm talking boot camp style works, strict low carb diets, supplements, even gastric bypass surgeries. I'm vegetarian but drink soda, have fast food, carbs, sweets, anything I want really. I can absolutely get skinny fat, but I'm lucky my weight is not a factor at all with covid. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
(edited)

I finally deleted this from my series recordings. I too have been following Bill since his Politically Incorrect days on ABC, and even saw him perform live once, but it's gotten to the point where, as the businesspeople like to say, Real Time was just not adding any value to my life 🙄

If we had an upvote button that allowed multiple votes I’d upvote this a hundred times.  I’ve seen him live three times, used to never miss an episode.  Now lately I keep recording episodes, look at the guest list and often think 1) “really?  That’s it?” and 2) “I see —-—- is on again; well, it’s painfully obvious what Bill’s gonna say there” and then I come here and read from everybody that Bill did exactly what you’d think he’d do.  So I delete them from my DVR unwatched.

You can’t even say he’s like a cranky old uncle who annoys everybody at Thanksgiving dinner by going on and on about the exact same things over and over and over again.  Because even that cranky uncle is less predictable than Bill.

Bill Maher has become the most predictable man on tv.  Am I crazy in thinking he didn't used to be like this (at least to the extent he is now)? I used to really like his show.  And the tediousness had set in even before the COVID pandemic, so I can’t just blame it on that.  What happened? 

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, deirdra said:

Most Americans weren't obese in the 1970s before the government (McGovern's panel) & Big Agra got in bed together and started telling people to eat 11 servings of starch a day, replace natural fats with industrial oils etc., avoid eggs and meat in favor of processed crap. There is a clear, rapid increase in obesity starting in 1977.  Many got fat or obese following the governments' dietary guidelines - that is what Bill should go after!

I think it is convenient to blame obesity in this country on a politician or a conglomerate but it isn't as cut and dry as that. As our population changed from being more rural to urban, the diets changed from home grown fruits, vegetables, grains and other foods that were available from locally sourced farms to processed foods and canned vegetables, fruits and packaged meats, etc. Post WW2 saw a boom in the grocery industry and a move to convenience type foods...then large grocery store chains and frozen foods. Our diets became laden with more calories, fat and sugar...less fresh produce and locally sourced meat and dairy. The biggest change came with the adding of high fructose corn syrup to just about everything that came in a can, jar or package. This has largely been blamed for more cases of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Our sedantary lifestyles have also been a problem...especially with children who aren't as active as previous generations due to TV and video games. In poor communities they have actual food deserts where they can't buy fresh food and produce at all...even finding anything but a bodega to buy food for a family can be impossible. There's enough blame for this to around...but it actually comes down to individual intervention...don't buy processed foods with additives...avoid them if you can, eat more vegetables, less sugary foods and exercise. Also...there needs to be more choice at reasonable prices for members of poor communities. Food co-ops, using unused space for community gardens where people can grow fresh produce and transportation to large grocery store chains could all help to make healthier children and communities.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

When Bill mentioned the increase in liver disease due to people drinking at home my husband said "What about pot smoking?"  I know that there is not a lot of data about the long term effects of pot consumption, but with more states legalizing it every year, it is only a matter of time.  If it turns out that it is more dangerous than we thought will Bill give it up?

Actually, vaping pot is the worst. It creates "popcorn" lungs which can cause all kinds of respiratory problems. It also is really bad if you are vaping pot and get COVID. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sad to say that I'm going to have to let this show go. I'm also one of those long time viewers who watched Politically Incorrect. I even went to a taping when he did a few shows in DC when I lived there. I should have never watched as soon as I saw that Charlemagne the whatever was an actual guest. He received a lot of attention due to the comment that then candidate Biden made during their interview. But it should have ended there. Suddenly, CTG was a hot guest on shows on which he should have never been a participant. I tried my best to ignore him. I remember seeing him on a show where he expressed that Biden didn't have a plan to address minority issues. Everything he was yapping on about was present in Biden's plan. Charlatan just hadn't bothered to read the plan that was available on Biden's campaign website. 

Is Bill desperate for guests now? 

I've been so disappointed in this show recently that it's time to finally pull the plug.

Edited by nichelle
  • Love 9

A lot of things Bill says piss me off, and a lot I agree with. I like that he says what he thinks and doesn’t follow any party line without ever having an original thought.  I don’t like being in an echo chamber of my own thoughts, and Bill delivers.

He is right about obesity. It is a real problem for a lot of people. And I take his comments as his way of trying to call attention to the struggle of people and to help.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/6/2021 at 10:32 AM, GoldenGirl90 said:

I agree with you on Charlemagne he is an ass and he treats Black women terrible on his show but that is another rant for another day.

Reparations should happen but it won't for many reasons.  You would need 60 votes in the Senate and 218 in the House and that will never happen. Not to mention, there would be challenges that would tie this in courts for years.  We all know historically any Black success is often followed by a Backlash so....

If the United States were to pay reparations, it would open up the door for Blacks in the Caribbean and Latin America to sue Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Holland, France and Great Britain who all partook in the enslavement and the trafficking of Africans to their respective colonies.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tara said:

A lot of things Bill says piss me off, and a lot I agree with. I like that he says what he thinks and doesn’t follow any party line without ever having an original thought.  I don’t like being in an echo chamber of my own thoughts, and Bill delivers.

He is right about obesity. It is a real problem for a lot of people. And I take his comments as his way of trying to call attention to the struggle of people and to help.

Except Bill's method is to act like a bully and shame people into losing weight. The exact opposite of helping, for which he is incapable of doing yet somehow thinks he's invaluable to people.

Bill is an echo chamber of one!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Tara said:

Exactly me. If I can guess someone's entire show, why watch? I like that Bill isn't afraid of being politically incorrect and saying stuff that's not popular opinion with his party. I've also seen him in live and thought his show was fabulous. 

Bill's never been a cuddly type of guy, but I think his intentions are good. Most people know how much age is a factor with the virus. I am shocked by how many people don't get the difference between how an obese body handles things compared to a fit or even average body. I've gotten into this with my own father. I've told him my main concern with the virus is not spreading it to high risk people like him and that I'm not personally afraid of it (not that I want to get it). Though I'm not big on being sick and am not saying this to trivialize the virus (trust me, I've been mocked for how seriously I've taken it), I am thin, no underlying conditions, stay active, take supplements, etc. The odds of me dying are extremely low even if I get it. Obesity is the greatest risk for young people. No, you can't lose tons of weight overnight, but we can all try to take steps to improve our health, especially if we know we have more reason to than ever. I stepped up my supplements during all of this and also started to be more active to improve my immune system. I don't fat shame anyone, but I do share information regarding lifestyle choices about covid if someone doesn't know. Not everyone watches news or studies up on stats, so things that seem common sense to us may not be common sense to others. There was a study that showed about 80% of covid patients were Vitamin D deficient. Even if this was just one study, I've encouraged all my family to take it because it's not like taking it will hurt you. 

• Love 5

Bill is on record, on his show less than two years ago,  as saying that there's nothing wrong with fat-shaming, in fact, there should be more of it. I can't fathom how that is helpful or conveys good intentions. Anyone who has struggled with their weight, especially if they've been bullied for it, can tell you this approach is not only ineffective, it can leave psychological scars.

I get that obesity in this country is a real problem. How do attitudes and "jokes" like his help? If he is truly concerned, there are certainly lots of ways he can at least try to help....the first poster in this thread had some good suggestions. "Calling attention to it"? I'm sorry, overweight people are not going to be watching Bill Maher on a Friday night and get a sudden epiphany, like they perhaps didn't realize they had a weight problem? BTW, weight issues can be linked to a whole lotta other conditions, including (as has been mentioned) availability of healthy food and one's personal financial situation and it can have a WHOLE lot to do with depression and mental health. 

And really, there's lots more to talk about than his solar problems/over-regulation, perceived "cancel culture" and his near-obsession with fat people, but that seems to be a lot (most?)  of what his shows revolve around now. It's just not interesting anymore. 

• Love 13
On 3/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, bobbyjoe said:

Bill Maher has become the most predictable man on tv.  Am I crazy in thinking he didn't used to be like this (at least to the extent he is now)? I used to really like his show.  And the tediousness had set in even before the COVID pandemic, so I can’t just blame it on that.  What happened? 

I think everyone has to pick sides.  Early on, no one knew what politicians and celebrities thought.  Now, everyone has to be divided into two camps.  And I'm sure their opinions can be found online. They're also afraid to debate.  I'm sure that these days, it takes a lot of courage to go on the show, which is why Bill mostly has the same talking heads found everywhere. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I think everyone has to pick sides.  Early on, no one knew what politicians and celebrities thought.  Now, everyone has to be divided into two camps.  And I'm sure their opinions can be found online. They're also afraid to debate.  I'm sure that these days, it takes a lot of courage to go on the show, which is why Bill mostly has the same talking heads found everywhere. 

I take it as more like people don't want to come on his show anymore because Bill's become this out of touch asshole who's best before date has long since expired!

• Love 6

I loved watching Bill wrangle Joe Scarborough.  I check the Morning Joe show every day, hoping to catch the rare occasion when Joe is gone.  I find him insufferable, often speaking at far greater length than the guest he's ostensibly "interviewing."  His co-hosts and guest-hosts sit frozen with attentive expressions plastered on their faces no matter how long Joe pontificates--and it's his name on the marquee, so I get it.

But it made me ridiculously happy when Bill interrupted with "Trump's gone. Can we talk about something else now?"  But Joe's answer was clearly "No, we cannot" until Bill warned him the window for plugging his book was almost gone.  Then Joe mumble-mumbled something about being obsessed or getting carried away.  

I can see that Scarborough is intelligent and people find him entertaining.  I just think his own show would benefit from someone being able to rein him in the way Bill did.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1