Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Worst Betrayal Since Jordyn and Kylie

• Start Topic

The heavy hinting about blowing husband #2's ashes up with the firework to the PI was really ooc for Georgia.

Awww poor Joe. But also: Run Joe, Run - you are too good for her!

As for Cynthia: you can be a loving carer to your sick husband and a nosy, unpleasant soccer mom. Just like Georga is a driven, sweet woman and a gold digging murderer.

The setup for a possible season 2 is Ginny and Austin mirroring Georgia and baby Ginny on the road for an episode oder two, the return of Austins dangerous dad and the PI snooping around the missing husband #1.

Edited by Aulty
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

I wonder if Georgia knew that Kenny was planning on assaulting Ginny.  I mean she had a decent deal there. If she let Kenny live longer she would have been able to reap alot more than just killing him so early in the game.

Giving the PI the hint that Kenny's ashes were in the fireworks was really a stupid move.  Seriously not sure why he's even still on the case. I thought the issue was settled and the will stands.

Georgia's sister is has no loyalty at all.  Ginny leaving with Austin was a stupid move. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Giving the PI the hint that Kenny's ashes were in the fireworks was really a stupid move.  Seriously not sure why he's even still on the case. I thought the issue was settled and the will stands.

Maybe he's trying to get that decision overturned? Or maybe he's just someone who can't stop until he solves the case even though he is no longer getting paid for it. And for those of us trying to remember in which Canadian productions we've seen this cast before: the PI was Four/Ryo on Dark Matter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wasn’t expecting a cliffhanger. Annoyed now. Everything rides on Netflix picking it up for a season 2, but I assume that’s probably a given. 

I’ve been more focused on the teens than the adults, because I really didn’t want Georgia to turn out to be a serial killer, but I guess we’re here now. I imagine we’re supposed to be sympathetic because the dudes were rapey/gropey jerks. Or maybe we’re not, since Ginny took off. 

They had to go to some great lengths to reach “Ginny is young Georgia” at the end. Like where is she even going to go? Also: her motorcycle helmet was beat to shit. That’s not safe! 

I lost track of who Creepy Austin’s dad is. From this thread I gather he’s still alive and some kind of threat. (Austin himself is deffo going to be a serial killer someday too, right?) 

If the show had stayed in the Gilmore Girls space and not gone all White Oleander, then Zion is Christopher, Joe is Luke Danes, and Bland Paul is Max Medina. (Honestly I’m super confused why they threw Joe into the mix at all, but he’s nice to look at.)

For the kids, I guess Hunter is Dean with money and talent, but I was constantly distracted by the side-shave/ponytail. Marcus is just a pretty cipher by the end. Not edgy enough to be Jess. Sorry, Marcus. (On that note: It’s getting weirder these days to watch teen sex scenes without feeling ... weird, but Normal People ruined it all for me anyway. I think this show could have used their intimacy coordinator. Or some intimacy coordinator.)

I needed fewer musical numbers and flash tap mobs and whatever. 

sort of appreciated this glimpse into some weird high-income/diverse/liberal community I have no personal experience with, but I don’t know where that place is or if it really exists outside of television.

I did appreciate the diverse cast, and the younger actors were all pretty solid. For all her scenery chewing, I liked Max a lot. They gave her some pretty bonkers material to work with and the actress pulled it off. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, kieyra said:

They had to go to some great lengths to reach “Ginny is young Georgia” at the end. Like where is she even going to go?

There is an Aftershow thing for thos show on Netflix where they mention that there is a clue in what she packs. I rewatched it and it confirms my suspicion that

Spoiler

they'll probably go to the apartment in Boston that Zion bought. She packs the book where he had written down the address.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
On 2/26/2021 at 6:54 AM, greekmom said:

I wonder if Georgia knew that Kenny was planning on assaulting Ginny.  

I assumed she noticed him groping Ginny since she was in the stairway when he did it. She obviously has a bit of a problem with creepy rapey guys so it would make sense that was what pushed her to kill Kenny. 

On 2/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, kieyra said:

They had to go to some great lengths to reach “Ginny is young Georgia” at the end. Like where is she even going to go?

I assumed they’d go to Zion’s since it’s close. And that means they’ll likely be found pretty quickly since I’d imagine Georgia would call him once she realizes they’re gone.

I lost track of who Creepy Austin’s dad is. From this thread I gather he’s still alive and some kind of threat. (Austin himself is deffo going to be a serial killer someday too, right?) 

Georgia told Ellen that Austin’s dad was in prison because she framed him for like fraud or something. But since she had been faking letters from the dad to Austin, not sending the dad Austin’s letters, and asked Ginny if she put their address on those letters when she sent them, I’m assuming that wasn’t really the whole story and that Austin’s dad probably isn’t even in jail.

Oh and also I don’t think Austin is going to be a serial killer. He’s been through a lot of shit and he’s clearly just acting out because of his traumatic life. Similar to Ginny with her burning.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 3:55 AM, Aulty said:

There is an Aftershow thing for thos show on Netflix where they mention that there is a clue in what she packs. I rewatched it and it confirms my suspicion that

Reveal spoiler

they'll probably go to the apartment in Boston that Zion bought. She packs the book where he had written down the address.

Haven’t watched the aftershow yet but that was my assumption. I’m not sure what else would make sense. 

okay - watched the aftershow and everybody thought that was a big mystery. Maybe I jumped to the conclusion. 

On the other hand, they seemed to assume that the ashes went up with the fireworks. I thought that one was only hinted at, not a foregone conclusion. 

But I do have to thank it for one thing. I kept seeing comments about the woman from Schitt’s Creek being in the show, and even with IMDb, I couldn’t figure out who it was.  Neighbor mom = Jocelyn. I’m face blind, I guess. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited after watching the aftershow
  • Love 2

Can't believe I liked the show as much as I did but thoroughly disliked Ginny. I have a problem with snarky teens. There's got to be a way to portray parenthood that actually makes me want to do it before it's too late lol. I hope it gets a season 2 but I think I'd be okay if it didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

For the kids, I guess Hunter is Dean with money and talent, but I was constantly distracted by the side-shave/ponytail. Marcus is just a pretty cipher by the end. Not edgy enough to be Jess. Sorry, Marcus. (On that note: It’s getting weirder these days to watch teen sex scenes without feeling ... weird, but Normal People ruined it all for me anyway. I think this show could have used their intimacy coordinator. Or some intimacy coordinator.)

I was thinking the same thing. Glad it wasn't just me. Maybe it's because I am old enough to be their parent now. 

I was put off by Georgia being so... forthright with her inference around the fireworks. I do understand that the stepfather was touching Ginny inappropriately - she told him she was okay, and he just kept sliding his hand up her thigh. Ugh. So I understand why she did it, but that is really dark (that she's killed more than one guy). I don't see Paul being in danger, but I've been hoping all along that he isn't secretly a creep. I think Joe is there, to potentially be her Luke. 

I liked Max, and of course Marcus went back to being a douche. If he hadn't, Ginny wouldn't have been so fast to run off. 

They guessed, on the after show, that she went to her dad's. Nothing confirmed, but I hadn't even thought of that. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4

As far as it being obvious that Ginny went to her dad's: I miss a lot of visual cues and I had no idea what she packed. I knew logically it was the only place she can really go, but what threw me was (IIRC) her voiceover at the end which says something dopey like "I just have to keep running!" 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Adgirl said:

Can't believe I liked the show as much as I did but thoroughly disliked Ginny. I have a problem with snarky teens.

I’m fine with snarky children but my issue with Ginny is that she’s determined to hate Georgia and not for the correct reasons. Georgia revealed that her stepfather molested her just a couple episodes ago, Zion backed her up by confirming that her parents are dead to her and that he supports that decision, yet Ginny is still “I deserve to know my grandparents!” I guess she thinks Georgia and Zion are both lying about how shitty they are?

Ginny has plenty of reasons to dislike Georgia so I hope they can strike a balance. 

Assuming the show will be renewed I also hope Georgia is more open with both kids and her secrets so they don’t end up in harm’s way with dangerous people like Georgia’s parents or (implied) Austin’s father. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Ginny has to be one of the more intolerable characters I have watched this year. She really is a nasty brat who blames her mother for everything. Georgina, is not perfect at all but why does she expect her mother to tell her everything. Ginny is a teenager not an adult entitled to know everything. I hated the way she talked to her mom 90% of the time.

Georgina is a great character. Very entertaining. She is flawed but knows she is.

Ginny taking off with her minor brother was dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I went back and forth on Ginny. Sometimes her snark was too much, but I think the show does a good job of suggesting that her internal problems aren't just garden variety teen angst. Her biracial identity is a source of confusion and uneasiness to her. Though she keeps in contact with her father, she's often the only visibly black member of her family and one of the few black people at her school. Her mother's lifestyle where the family has to move from place to place abruptly has also robbed Ginny of a consistent source of stability.  There are other hints that Ginny really struggles to connect to others, which I think leaves her overly forgiving of her sometimes toxic friend group. All those factors have turned her into someone that self-harms as a way to distract or seek release from uncomfortable or painful emotions. She does it all throughout the season. This coping mechanism, wherein a real problem is dealt with by avoidance or distraction is something that Georgia does too.

Of course Georgia doesn't do the physical act of self-harm, but she does prefer to avoid talking about difficult and thorny things and tries to paper over and get past problems without unpacking them in a significant way. Georgia is doing this to protect her children in the best way she knows, but Ginny is burning herself with a lighter and Austin is stabbing other children. Those are not signs of stable, healthy people. Something has gone wrong. Even though Ginny latches onto the grandparents issue, I think that is a proxy for what she feels is the murky fog that surrounds her life and all the things that she can't talk about with her mother because even though her family is close on the surface, there are a lot of secrets.

I think leaving on a motorcycle with her young brother is truly terrible decision-making. Rather than confronting her mother with a conversation, or getting some details directly from her father immediately over the phone, she just takes off in the middle of the night(this did seem like a total Georgia move too). There's not even an attempt to deal with her feelings of betrayal and confusion in a healthy way. But maybe she just doesn't know how. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
On 2/26/2021 at 9:16 AM, paulvdb said:

Maybe he's trying to get that decision overturned? Or maybe he's just someone who can't stop until he solves the case even though he is no longer getting paid for it. And for those of us trying to remember in which Canadian productions we've seen this cast before: the PI was Four/Ryo on Dark Matter.

THANK YOU!!!  I couldn't recall where I saw this actor before. Now this won't bug me anymore.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:54 AM, greekmom said:

Oh wow - shows you how observant I am because I totally missed the part about the ashes being blown up in the fireworks.

Georgia's sister is has no loyalty at all.  Ginny leaving with Austin was a stupid move. 

No kidding - even after she was busted for spying on Georgia, the sister claims "I would never tell them about New Orleans". Well, so much for that!  And, she seemed to give up the New Orleans info pretty quick - FOR FREE!

As for Ginny leaving with her brother - doesn't matter he gave affirmative consent to going with her. It's still considered kidnapping, since Ginny doesn't have legal custody.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, kieyra said:

I needed fewer musical numbers and flash tap mobs and whatever.

This!  The numerous musical stuff got to be annoying.  This isn't High School Musical, people!

On 3/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, backhometome said:

Georgina is a great character. Very entertaining. She is flawed but knows she is.

ITA!  Georgia is my favorite character on the show. I just wish they didn't (seemingly) turn her into a murderer. Albeit, she only seemed to target rapey types of men...but still...

On 3/2/2021 at 8:19 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I’m fine with snarky children but my issue with Ginny is that she’s determined to hate Georgia and not for the correct reasons. Georgia revealed that her stepfather molested her just a couple episodes ago, Zion backed her up by confirming that her parents are dead to her and that he supports that decision, yet Ginny is still “I deserve to know my grandparents!” I guess she thinks Georgia and Zion are both lying about how shitty they are?

Speaking of grandparents, I wish the show had made more effort to portray her relationship with her paternal grandparents. Obviously there is SOME relationship there since not only did they remember her birthday, they sent a considerable sized check ($500).

Bottom line:  I'm surprised I liked this show more than I expected to. I thought it'd be another angsty, teen drama a la Dawson's Creek - a show about the upper middle class and their petty lives.  (I came into the show cold without seeing any previews, nor hearing anything about it. I was trawling through Netflix to see what's new and found this show).

• Love 4

So Ginny basically blows up her life and is now making the same choices her mom made, even taking off with Austin the way young Georgia took off with baby Ginny. See, this is why you don't keep secrets from your kids. They always find out in the worst way possible and proceed to make the worst choices possible out of betrayal. 

I ended up liking this more than I expected to, after I just surrendered to its bonkers energy. This show is just so much, jumping from whimsical small town comedy to angsty teen drama to murder mystery, it had so much going on that it both confused and entertained me. 

So I am guessing that Ginny is going off to meet with her dad, that is probably the best she can do other than just traveling around homeless with her little brother in tow. I can understand why Ginny has issues, but she can be rather infuriating. Not only because I don't much care for her angsty teen romance with broody loner with a heart of gold Marcus (maybe its more bronze?) but she seems to be mad at Georgie for all of the wrong reasons. She should figure out now now Georgia didnt want to be around her bio family, she shouldn't be upset about that, she SHOULD be upset about her apparently dragging her and Austin around to get with all of these creeps and lying about things that she really shouldn't, like Austin's letters, and all kinds of other things. That is definitely going to come back and bite them, I guess Austin's father is yet another creep who is probably not actually in jail given Georgia's freak out. So does Georgia just have really bad luck with men, make really bad choices based on her past, or does she look for creeps so she can get money from them and kill them later? Because growing your own murder flowers seems very serial killer-y. Basically telling the PI that her husbands ashes were in the fireworks seems really sloppy for her. 

This show was all kinds of bonkers, I am really hoping we get another season to see what we get next. Will Ginny and Austin make it to her dads? Will Ginny make up with Max? Will Georgia end up with either of the guys she is interested in, or will her murder spree continue?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I liked it enough to finish it over the weekend, but man I am glad I didn’t ask my 13 year old son to join me on this one!  I didn’t read about the show ahead but it’s rated TV-14, which we watch plenty of together.  I’m not a pearl clutcher and I am aware that there are MANY real life high schoolers (or so I’m led to believe) that are this sexually and substance active but wow.   

I go back and forth with Georgia, but I’m not really here for her black widow ways.   

I was really glad for Ellen to not be a cliche Karen neighbor type, but actually be pretty relatable and chill, while being realistic and not the try hard “cool mom.”  Her and her husband were probably my favorites of the series, along with Joe.  The thing about that family that bothered me the most is that neither Max nor Marcus looked like they were biologically related to Ellen and Clint.  

Oh, Ginny.  Taking your little brother with you on a motorcycle is just a bad bad decision.  Running away with him is also not great, no matter how mad you are at your mother.  I’d think this falls somewhere under the kidnapping umbrella.  Guess we will find out next season (assuming there is one).  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

The thing about that family that bothered me the most is that neither Max nor Marcus looked like they were biologically related to Ellen and Clint.

She doesn’t fit the Ellen role at all, but Katie Holmes would be perfect casting as Sara Waisglass’s mother. They both have the melty wax face down pat. 

• LOL 4

I finished this within a few days and enjoyed it for what it was, a relationship dramedy. 

The actress who plays Georgia looks like a young blond Julia Roberts - same wide smile, big eyes, same accent and vocal inflections. 

Not sure how towns are run in the US, but it always makes me laugh when some random can just run for mayor on tv. And how much power the mayor has, like there's no town council that helps run the show and keeps the decisions accountable. And what is the mayor doing making decisions about school fundraisers, isn't there a school board for that? So weird.

As for the show, it was fun and dark and entertaining. Obvi, Ginny is going to Boston. I mean, where else?

The Austin's Dad issue is confusing. Ginny mailed the letters, so the actual address was on them? I thought Austin was sending them to "Azkaban" and then Georgia said she would mail them but just hid them. Are we to believe that Georgia then wrote the real address on these letters, even though she wasn't ever going to send them? How are these letters getting to Austin's father? And why save these letters if you're never going to send them? It didn't make sense.

I thought Max and Co.'s reaction was extreme. They seem pretty to,errant and chill about a lot of things, but they didn't give Ginny a chance. However, Ginny was trying to play both sides of the coin, so... I do really hate the trope that a girl or woman finds a great guy but she screws if by being drawn to a bad boy against her better judgement. Ugh.

I really thought, given the dark turns in this show, that Abby was going to attempt/commit suicide. Throughout she has been shown to be left out, sad, lonely, depressed, angry. I was surprised when that didn't happen.

The secondary characters are stellar. As mentioned, Ellen is fab. The tertiary friends at school are not stereotypes- from the black kids to the guys who hang with MANG. The younger Georgia is terrific. Lots of pleasant surprises. Cynthia is an annoying "Karen", plotting and scheming to get revenge on her nemesis. 

I hope there's a season two.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Not sure how towns are run in the US, but it always makes me laugh when some random can just run for mayor on tv. And how much power the mayor has, like there's no town council that helps run the show and keeps the decisions accountable. And what is the mayor doing making decisions about school fundraisers, isn't there a school board for that? So weird.

As a lifelong American ... I have absolutely no clarity to offer. 🙂 It seems cartoony to me too. But so did the political setup in Stars Hollow / Gilmore Girls.

I mentioned this in another thread, but my US based Netflix account continues to claim this is Netflix’s current #1 show, or still was as of last night. (Of course, no way of knowing how Netflix determines or claims that.) Based on that, I assume there was a huge untapped appetite for this kind of show, and I will be genuinely shocked if we don’t get renewal news soon.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, Aulty said:

The heavy hinting about blowing husband #2's ashes up with the firework to the PI was really ooc for Georgia.

I thought so, too. Georgia was way too smug. She has no idea what the PI knows. He's being kind of stupid for plot reasons, but he's not completely inept. He put two and two together with the wolfsbane, for example.

10 hours ago, Shermie said:

How are these letters getting to Austin's father?

They aren't. Georgia didn't mail Austin's letters, and she wrote him back as his father. He must be a real prize if she was so alarmed that Ginny put their return address on the letters.

I really thought, given the dark turns in this show, that Abby was going to attempt/commit suicide. Throughout she has been shown to be left out, sad, lonely, depressed, angry. I was surprised when that didn't happen.

I was surprised, too, but also relieved. There's enough on the show without that.

As mentioned, Ellen is fab.

LOVE HER. I like how much character they've given her. Jennifer Robertson does a great job. I really liked her calling out Georgia on not telling her Marcus was climbing through the window to Ginny's bedroom. Ellen did need/deserve to know that.

• Love 2

Ginny running away makes literally no sense to me, I get they wanted to have a strong ending making sure people would watch the next season, but I believe it's a little bit too much.Her just leaving all behind all her new friends, Max (who is supposed to be her best friend) and Marcus (who she said I love you to) like NO? WHY?

On 2/28/2021 at 5:55 AM, Aulty said:

Reveal spoiler

I assumed they will be going to Zion´s, but I wish they didn't. Now that they have introduce this run away thing I want to see everyone worried especially Georgia wondering where they are, and not just them being found on the first episode.

Edited by Belu
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Belu said:

Georgia wondering where they are

I think she'd figure it out pretty quickly. Where else but Zion's are Ginny and her brother going to go?

Side note: If Marcus isn't old enough to drive a motorcycle, Ginny certainly isn't. It cracked me up that neither Ginny nor Austin wore a helmet with a face shield. Keep your mouths closed so you don't eat all those bugs!

42 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It cracked me up that neither Ginny nor Austin wore a helmet with a face shield.

IIRC Ginny’s helmet was also beat up. My secondhand knowledge via spouse is that motorcycle helmets (maybe any safety helmet) = one impact and done. You don’t reuse a helmet after that.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think she'd figure it out pretty quickly. Where else but Zion's are Ginny and her brother going to go?

Zion's parents would probably be the only other people they could go to. The other options would be bad: going to Georgia's family or being homeless.

After rewatch, I can confirm that the last line is Ginny dramatically voiceovering: "I have to keep running". 

So if the show gets renewed, we either get an infuriating episode of Ginny putting herself and Austin in repeated and unnecessary danger while living "on the road" ...

Or S02E01 pretends she never says that, and they're just with Zion. 

• Love 2

Georgia didn't mail Austin's letters, and she wrote him back as his father. He must be a real prize if she was so alarmed that Ginny put their return address on the letters.

I know that Georgia didn't mail the letters even though Austin thought she did. But Ginny found them and mailed them. My question is, where did those letters (that Ginny mailed) go? If Georgia put Azkaban on the envelope to appease Austin, then they're not going anywhere (and Ginny would know that it was fake). So my question is, how did Ginny mail the letters to Austin's father? If Georgia wrote the correct address on the envelopes, my question would be why? She wasn't going to mail them, and Austin thought he was in Azkaban so a real address would be confusing if he saw the envelope. If Georgia never showed the envelope to Austin enforce (not) mailing them, why bother addressing them at all?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but contacting Austin's father seems like a big plot point, so it should make sense. Am I missing something?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I just went back to watch the 2 scenes with the letters from Austin to his dad and they never show anything but the actual letters. Like there are no envelopes with an address or anything so I don't know where Ginny could have sent them. I guess perhaps Georgia told Ginny what prison Austin's dad was in and so Ginny addressed them there. Originally I thought maybe his dad wasn't even in prison but now I'm thinking he is and for some reason (seems ooc for Georgia to do this) Georgia told Ginny what prison he was in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

where did those letters (that Ginny mailed) go?

I just assumed Ginny knew what prison Austin's dad was in. She's probably old enough to remember him being incarcerated originally, so she'd be aware. 

2 hours ago, Shermie said:

If Georgia never showed the envelope to Austin enforce (not) mailing them, why bother addressing them at all?

Do we know Georgia never showed Austin an addressed envelope (regardless of how it was addressed)? I assumed (again) she did it so Austin thought the letters would be mailed.

In a way, it doesn't matter how any of this happened, as the point is Austin realized Georgia never sent his letters to his father and wrote Austin back as his father.

This is one of those stories that will likely be expanded upon in subsequent seasons, if there are any.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, Shermie said:

The Austin's Dad issue is confusing. Ginny mailed the letters, so the actual address was on them? I thought Austin was sending them to "Azkaban" and then Georgia said she would mail them but just hid them. Are we to believe that Georgia then wrote the real address on these letters, even though she wasn't ever going to send them? How are these letters getting to Austin's father? And why save these letters if you're never going to send them? It didn't make sense.

I think she saved the letters in case she wanted to give them back to Austin when he was older. Ginny, presumably knew which prison he was actually in, and mailed them. I know they're trying to frame Austin's sociopathic behaviors on his father, and hit that his father is really dangerous, but Georgia is clearly the sociopath. If anything, I bet she framed Austin's father for one of her crimes and is worried one of her web of lies will be unraveled if Austin's father finds her.

7 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Zion's parents would probably be the only other people they could go to. The other options would be bad: going to Georgia's family or being homeless.

Given how fixated Ginny was on Georgia still having a family, and how poor her decision making was the last few episodes, she's 100% going to find Georgia's parents (when she should really be going to Zion's parents.)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

If anything, I bet she framed Austin's father for one of her crimes and is worried one of her web of lies will be unraveled if Austin's father finds her.

That is precisely what she told Ellen; that she framed Austin’s dad. I think she said for fraud and money laundering.

7 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That is precisely what she told Ellen; that she framed Austin’s dad. I think she said for fraud and money laundering.

Wow. Thanks. I completely missed that!

9 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Wow. Thanks. I completely missed that!

My reading of it was that she expected Ellen to think she was joking, and we the audience were meant to suspect she probably wasn’t.

I think we’re going to get a little retcon of how many “bad” things Georgia has really done if we get a season 2, though, because on paper she’s a serial killer and it’s not really cute. Like, we’ll see more extenuating circumstances, we’ll find out the wolfsbane didn’t really kill Jerry, something like that. JMO. Could be wrong. Frequently am. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Given how fixated Ginny was on Georgia still having a family, and how poor her decision making was the last few episodes, she's 100% going to find Georgia's parents (when she should really be going to Zion's parents.)

Ginny knows the stepfather abused Georgia, so I'm not so sure she wants to find them. I could see Ginny going to her aunt, though.

As for Zion's parents, they're a disaster in their own way, IMO. They seem to have a very rigid idea of what life should be and aren't understanding of anyone who doesn't want the same thing. I wonder what Zion's relationship is with them now, given he's a successful artist. Are the parents proud, or do they still think of being an artist as a hobby and not a "real" job?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, kieyra said:

I think we’re going to get a little retcon of how many “bad” things Georgia has really done if we get a season 2, though, because on paper she’s a serial killer and it’s not really cute. Like, we’ll see more extenuating circumstances, we’ll find out the wolfsbane didn’t really kill Jerry, something like that. JMO. Could be wrong. Frequently am.

I could see a retcon getting applied to Husband 1's death/disappearance. They made sure to show Georgia adding the wolfsbane to the smoothie along with an understandable motive so no retconning there but all we saw with Husband 1 was her preparing the pills. We didn't actually see him ingest them so they can always reveal that she changed her mind, tried to leave with Ginny instead, and he tripped and hit his head as he was chasing her. She had that comment about doing what they did in New Orleans again when she was talking to that biker guy which implied that Husband 1's body was also cremated. They can easily expand that to say that, while an accident, the circumstances surrounding his death looked bad for Georgia so she asked her biker gang for help and they cleaned it all up.

I also expect us to find out that Austin's dad is a really bad guy and, yes, Georgia did set him up but it will turn out that she was trying to keep herself and the kids safe and this was the route she chose. Her look of fear when she learned that he was going to have their new address was genuine and maybe she'll even worry that he's kidnapped the kids when she can't find them.

So far we haven't seen her commit a crime just to commit it. Everything has had an explanation. She shot her stepfather because he molested her, she killed Kenny because he was preparing to molest Ginny, she stole when she has no money, and she presumably killed Husband 1 because he used her desire to get Ginny back as a way to trap her into an actual marriage when she clearly thought it was in name only. A future episode may reveal that she enjoys scamming people and starts doing it for kicks but so far everything has had a purpose. That also gives them some wiggle room if they want to soften her up.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ginny knows the stepfather abused Georgia, so I'm not so sure she wants to find them. I could see Ginny going to her aunt, though.

As for Zion's parents, they're a disaster in their own way, IMO. They seem to have a very rigid idea of what life should be and aren't understanding of anyone who doesn't want the same thing. I wonder what Zion's relationship is with them now, given he's a successful artist. Are the parents proud, or do they still think of being an artist as a hobby and not a "real" job?

I don't believe they would have changed their minds, so I don't think we are gonna get much regarding their story line, but I actually wonder if they are gonna appear, or if we will only see them in flashbacks.

BTW, how many more seasons do you think we are gonna get?

I gotta make a shallow comment about Georgia's eyebrows. Egads! I know the big hairy brow is a thing, but she is so tiny and blond that it looks like she has a couple of wooly bear caterpillars crawling on her forehead. Not a good look. Methinks the lovers of the big hairy brow will look back upon it as their mullet. 

• LOL 2

So was Georgia mailing letters to Austin's dad, but faking the replies or she wasn't sending the letters anywhere because he is somehow as yet to be seen scary? And how old is Austin that he seriously believed that his father is a wizard?

The other thing I could not get a sense of is how large the town is. For the election and political components, it sometimes seemed like a tiny village.  At other times it seems quite large. The real town of Coburg, Ontario, CN, has around 19,000 people.  I'm not sure if Wellsbury, a suburb of Boston, is meant to be that size.  

Ginny driving off with Austin at the end hit an odd note for me.  She new her former stepfather was a creeper.  If she thought back, she may well have realized that her mother saw some of his behavior.  And she now knows her mother was sexually abused as a child.  I'm not excusing killing the man (although I'm not feeling so sad either), but I don't see this as a reason that Ginny would run away and take Austin with her.  Since Zion is her bio dad, Ginny can go to him. That doesn't work for Austin.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

she wasn't sending the letters anywhere because he is somehow as yet to be seen scary? And how old is Austin that he seriously believed that his father is a wizard?

Georgia wasn't sending the letters at all. I don't know how old Austin is supposed to be—around 8, I think?—but given his home life, believing his father is a wizard isn't the worst thing in the world, IMO. If he were 12 or 13 and still acted that way, then I'd be worried. Now it's just a coping mechanism he's clinging to.

• Love 1

Guys, I just typed “Ginny and Georgia fanfiction” into google. It’s been at least 6-7 years since I wrote or read fanfic. Man, even with me knowing what they were doing from the jump, they still pushed my dormant Gilmore Girls buttons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Third rewatch thoughts:

--Ginny and her choices get worse on every viewing. I was it wasn't true, but it is. (Conversely: she also gets slapped two different times in the show, including by her own mother. No one else gets slapped. It's a little weird.)

--I forgot that Abby goes full on villain at the end. Girl has some issues. Might type more in Spec thread. 

--Once you know the full deal with Marcus, he becomes more sympathetic over the show's arc, but still, starting him off as 'pretty dickhead' in the pilot was a bit of a cheat (and the kind of thing I hate about pretty dickheads in my shows).

--Thanks to some other posters' observations, I paid a lot more attention to Ellen and Clint's shenanigans. Delightful. Clint must be part of where Max got her sense of humor. 

--Max: Ok, I concede: she is exhausting.

--I still love Georgia (and the actress) but am not convinced she's not a teeny tiny bit of a sociopath. They've got to retcon away from serial killer if they want to keep the show going. JMO.

My best guess is someone pitched Gilmore Girls x Shonda Rhimes + more teen storylines, plugged it into a computer, and this is what it spit out ... including the murder plots. 

• Love 2

I gave up on this show multiple times before finishing it. The main characters are so so unlikable. Hunter, Paul, Nora, and Joe are the only ones I like- maybe Zion.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Hunter, Paul, Nora, and Joe are the only ones I like- maybe Zion.

Hunter would be a great and compelling character in another show. His fatal flaw here is that he treats Ginny like a queen even though he has absolutely no idea who she really is (not that she does herself). Fails to pick up on the fact that she’s totally faking it with him. Well, and he tolerates a LOT from his racist/sexist bros. At least he had the self-respect to push back on her during the “oppression Olympics”, and to cut her loose when he realized the truth. Not sure I want to see him in season 2 unless they get him a worthier love interest. 🙂

My mind drifts off every time Paul is onscreen. He’s naptime for me. It is what it is. 

I like Joe a lot, but I need a little more of him and his interior life. He’s a too-quiet Luke for now. 

Norah is both the least interesting and most well-adjusted of MANG. So she’s a good balancing influence.

• Love 3

I've watched all ten episodes and still can't tell if I hate this show or not. I kept watching so I guess it was entertaining enough? I love Joe, I love Jason Street/George Tucker/Mayor Paul and I kind of like Georgia except when I remember she's a murderer and such. I wish they hadn't gone there because it would be a lot easier to ship her with Joe or Paul if I wasn't worried they'd die! Ellen is great and I'd love it if she got more to do. 

I started out liking Ginny when she was new and awkward and kind of shy and ended up really disliking her. She's just not a very nice person to anyone and while I understand teenage angst, I don't think her life is all that bad except for some of the dumb decisions she makes. All her friends are annoying, Max especially. The girl who plays Abby is good, wouldn't mind seeing more of her. 

I would be willing to give a second season a go, but I also feel like there is a lot that needs work. I've never been quite so baffled by my feelings for a show! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

I've never been quite so baffled by my feelings for a show! 

Right there with you.

I started out all "I see you, show, I know what you're doing with your Gilmore Girls references and your love triangles and whatever! I refuse to feel anything!"

And now I've watched the whole thing three times and am writing fanfic. 

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

... I kind of like Georgia except when I remember she's a murderer and such. I wish they hadn't gone there because it would be a lot easier to ship her with Joe or Paul if I wasn't worried they'd die! 

I don't worry about Paul or Joe because they're good people and Georgia has only killed assholes lol. Although, I will say, Paul gives me a bit of a 'could turn out to be a dick or worse' vibes so!

2 hours ago, kieyra said:

And now I've watched the whole thing three times and am writing fanfic. 

Please share your fic!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

I've never been quite so baffled by my feelings for a show! 

Same! I think the show doesn't quite know what it wants to be, so we have the disconnect between Gilmore Girls/teen soap and serial killer. While I don't approve of Georgia's methods, I do like she extricated herself and Ginny from dangerous situations. 

Having a killer as a main character and not really acknowledging that is problematic. I guess the private detective figuring things out is acknowledging it, but we're supposed to be on Georgia's side. Brianne Howey does a great job as Georgia.

Yeah, I'm flailing here!

• Love 4