Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed this. I already like most of the characters and relationships a lot.

it was fun seeing Jocelyn from Schitt’s Creek. A bunch of the other characters looked familiar too. I need to check IMDb.

The Ginny and Georgia actresses really look like they could be mother and daughter.

I’m looking forward to this but I think I’ll try not to binge it. We’ll see though lol.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

A bunch of the other characters looked familiar too.

Frankie and Sav from Degrassi were two for me. Although it took me a while to recognize Sav with the beard. And Georgia was Reagan on Batwoman.

I liked this enough to keep watching.

• Love 4

I liked this. I like that they established early on that they're like the Gilmore Girls, but they aren't them. But it's jarring, the switching up between the past and this Georgia who knows how to fix everything, the cool mum who knows exactly what to do. Then it feels more like GG. 

I like Ginny, and could relate to the moving around all of the time. I was always having to leave friends, just as we adjusted, and felt comfortable, finally fit in. I didn't have her confidence with the teacher, so I like that she has normal insecurities, too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Frankie and Sav from Degrassi were two for me. Although it took me a while to recognize Sav with the beard.

I figured out Max was from Degrassi by the 2nd ep but damn at Joe being Sav. Yea, the beard really threw me. He was also apparently in Orphan Black, which I do not remember at all.

I'm going through IMDb now because why not. I remember Georgia from The Passage. The asshole that had sex with Ginny was just on Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. I thought Hunter looked familiar but he's only been in 1 ep of 2 different shows and that's it. Abby looked familar to me too but I've never seen anything she was in. Norah was also in Degrassi. I guess this filmed in Canada lol. Brody was in Dare Me which I watched but I don not remember him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Norah was also in Degrassi.

I never liked her character on Degrassi. Which is probably why I didn't realize it was her. I did forget to mention in my previous post that I recognized Scott Porter (Mayor Paul) from Friday Night Lights and Hart of Dixie. He was actually the only actor that I immediately recognized. For some of the others it took me a while or I knew they looked familiar but had to go on IMDB to identify them.

• Love 3

This is such a weird amalgation of stories, but charming. There are so many shows that have done the scheming gold digger stories worse, but also shows that do the teenage drama stuff better. The casts gels nicely.

The nonchalantly unprotected sex threw me off a bit.

Spoiler

Plus the scene in the second episode where Marcus wants to have (unprotected) sex again because her Plan B pill "was still working".

• Love 4
9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

[Scott Porter] was actually the only actor that I immediately recognized. For some of the others it took me a while or I knew they looked familiar but had to go on IMDB to identify them.

Same.

6 hours ago, Aulty said:

The nonchalantly unprotected sex threw me off a bit.

Me too. I was so taken aback that it even happened at all and then in being unprotected just really threw me.

• Like 1

I had to google Scott Porter (Hart of Dixie) and didn't recognize Sav from Degrassi (beard).  I did recognize Max who was on Degrassi but thought was "isn't she too old to play high school?"

So the ending is telling us that Georgia poisoned her husband with that flower in his shakes? I mean if there was a car accident wouldn't they have done a toxicology report to see if he was drinking?  Just wondering.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

So the ending is telling us that Georgia poisoned her husband with that flower in his shakes? I mean if there was a car accident wouldn't they have done a toxicology report to see if he was drinking?  Just wondering.

He also had a heart attack so I’m assuming the flower causes heart attacks and either doesn’t show up on tox reports or since he had a heart attack they figured that caused the accident and didn’t do a tox report.

• Useful 1
On 2/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Abby looked familar to me too but I've never seen anything she was in. 

Katie Douglas was in an Even Steveninsh like Canadian sitcom entitled Raising Expectations with Jason Priestly and Molly Ringwald as the parents and Luke Bilyk (Drew on Degrassi) as one of her brothers. 

In other it's a small Canadian TV industry world news Marcus's girlfriend is played by the sister of Ray Ablack (Joe). 

And in episode 3, the girl that Max has a crush on is played by the actor who also played Frankie's brother's one time gal pal Arlene on Degrassi.

I was going to watch the whole thing anyway but the pilot definitely did enough to get me very much interested in to seeing where things go. 

• Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, paulvdb said:

Frankie and Sav from Degrassi were two for me. Although it took me a while to recognize Sav with the beard. And Georgia was Reagan on Batwoman.

I liked this enough to keep watching.

Georgia was also a main character of the first season of the recent Shortlived Exorcist TV Show 

Edited by Josh371982
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

So, did they just go to the Degrassi IMDb page to cast this lol?

Ha! I find it funny that most of this thread is about how Canadian the cast is. For as long as Degrassi was on TV, the majority of actors coming out of Toronto and the surrounding area will have likely been in it. It's the same way that if one watches a couple or more shows filmed in Vancouver you may start recognizing extras and sets. As soon as I recognized two Canadian cast (but not main) members in the trailer I knew this had to have been filmed in Canada. It's a legal requirement that a certain percentage of the cast/crew have to be citizens. 

I really enjoyed the pilot. I find it amusing that Sara Waisglass is playing a fraternal twin again. I briefly got confused that Hunter was the friend and not the brother. 

I know Georgia played off setting up Austin's dad as a joke, but I don't think it was and that seems like a silly slip up to make. I think this  because of everything we saw Georgia do. However, the fact that her lawyer is the same old biker man from the flashback and he said something about "helping [their] own" makes me think she got in deep with that biker gang/crew. More than just with Ginny's father. She seems to have a crew for certain cons. 

• Love 2

I guess I'll be alone over here at the 'never seen any Degrassi' table. 🙂

I actually don't recognize any of these performers except the actress from Schitt's Creek.

Antonia Gentry (Ginny) reminds me of someone though, and it's driving me nuts. At first I thought it was Lenora Crichlow, especially her earlier work in Sugar Rush (anyone remember that one?) and Being Human UK, but when I look at stills from back then, the resemblance is pretty superficial.

Gentry seems to have almost no acting gigs prior to this, so it isn't that I've seen her somewhere else either. 

• Love 3

Liking this show so far. It’s nice seeing Scott Porter because I loved him on FNL and Hart of Dixie. 
I’m liking Maxine so far and her dynamic with Ginnie. I don’t like that they are insinuating that Georgia killed her husband. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I spent the whole time telling Joe to shave so I could figure out who he was.   Thanks internet!

Scott Porter I knew at once.  

I liked the first episode.  I'm in for more.

The blue flower didn't look like foxglove to me but I assume it is the same idea.  It is an active ingredient in a common heart medication maybe one even that he was on so a little bit more in his smoothie wouldn't really ping as too suspicious.   

Edited by bybrandy
On 2/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, Anela said:

I watched Degrassi, when I was a kid in England. It must be one of those shows that's always running, like Eastenders, and Coronation Street. 

Its been off and on for decades.  There was the inital series and then the next generation that followed with one of the kids of the first series.  They cycled through and graduated for ten or fifteen years and it was finally canceled by netfilx a couple years ago.  Two of Ginny's friends were in the last couple series, Max was Frankie a poor little Rich Girl who once was in a thruple with Esme who plays Norah.  The actor who plays Joe played Sav a teen who looked old enough to be a faculty member by the time they had him graduate.

• Love 1
(edited)

I came into this expecting a modern spin on Gilmore Girls and that's what I got. Well, if Lorelai murdered people sometimes and the show had a LOT of abrupt tonal shifts. Its giving me some whiplash going back and fourth between Ginny and Georgia's implied to be very dark past to their more Gilmore Girls style hijinks with teen dating and Georgia dealing with small town life. The show obviously knows about the inevitable GG connection, probably was inspired by it to the point that they even name drop it right in the pilot, but the darker tone could let it do its own thing more. Georgia also has a son which is another change, even if Austin is basically in the background as of now, being a cute kid and that's mostly it. 

I like Ginny's new friend and her mom, but her twin seems like a real creep. They are clearly starting a love triangle between the bad boy neighbor and nice clean cut Hunter, but since they are giving creepy neighbor more screen time I guess we are supposed to be pulling for him? Its like Jess and Dean if Jess was less outwardly dickish but more stealth dickish. It also seems really weird that they spent all of this time setting Ginny up as the mature daughter to Georgie's flighty mom and then had her have unprotected sex with her weird neighbor she just said was creepy who she also knows has a girlfriend. I guess teens gonna teen. 

So how sure are we that Ginny's dad is off in Alaska? Did Georgia make him a smoothie too? We saw her talking to him on the phone, but was it someone pretending to be him? Am I being paranoid? Probably, but considering she apparently murdered her last husband and set up another ex, it makes me suspicious. Does she only date the worst people in the world? Is this some kind of black widow Dexter situation where she finds creepy men and kills them? These are not questions I expected to ask for the new Gilmore Girls!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I came into this expecting a modern spin on Gilmore Girls and that's what I got. Well, if Lorelai murdered people sometimes and the show had a LOT of abrupt tonal shifts. Its giving me some whiplash going back and fourth between Ginny and Georgia's implied to be very dark past to their more Gilmore Girls style hijinks with teen dating and Georgia dealing with small town life. The show obviously knows about the inevitable GG connection, probably was inspired by it to the point that they even name drop it right in the pilot, but the darker tone could let it do its own thing more. Georgia also has a son which is another change, even if Austin is basically in the background as of now, being a cute kid and that's mostly it. 

I like Ginny's new friend and her mom, but her twin seems like a real creep. They are clearly starting a love triangle between the bad boy neighbor and nice clean cut Hunter, but since they are giving creepy neighbor more screen time I guess we are supposed to be pulling for him? Its like Jess and Dean if Jess was less outwardly dickish but more stealth dickish. It also seems really weird that they spent all of this time setting Ginny up as the mature daughter to Georgie's flighty mom and then had her have unprotected sex with her weird neighbor she just said was creepy who she also knows has a girlfriend. I guess teens gonna teen. 

So how sure are we that Ginny's dad is off in Alaska? Did Georgia make him a smoothie too? We saw her talking to him on the phone, but was it someone pretending to be him? Am I being paranoid? Probably, but considering she apparently murdered her last husband and set up another ex, it makes me suspicious. Does she only date the worst people in the world? Is this some kind of black widow Dexter situation where she finds creepy men and kills them? These are not questions I expected to ask for the new Gilmore Girls!

I think that if there is any triangle its with bad boy, Ginny and his public girlfriend. Only Georgia  wants potential Bill Gates for Virginia 

So the ending is telling us that Georgia poisoned her husband with that flower in his shakes? I mean if there was a car accident wouldn't they have done a toxicology

It was foxglove, known as digitalis. It's extremely toxic and is used as a heart medication. It's a common poison in mysteries.

Fun show, with a dark side. I like it.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Shermie said:

It was foxglove, known as digitalis. It's extremely toxic and is used as a heart medication. It's a common poison in mysteries.

Fun show, with a dark side. I like it.

Future episode(s) spoiler, only on the flower subject but still:

Spoiler

I think they call it wolfsbane in the show, but I can’t remember if it’s called out as such in the pilot specifically. I tried googling but I’m not sure if that’s the same thing as foxglove. I’m botany-impaired.

Was anyone else as confused as I am about Abby and Max being different people?  A girl on the show kept wavering between saying Hunter was her twin and some hot guy at school and it really confused me until I went to Wikipedia.  

Okay, I wish I was allowed to edit my post.  It was all just one girl in the pilot playing both the best friend and Hunter's twin?  Why does she sometimes speak as if Hunter is a hot guy at school versus her brother?  I'm beyond confused.

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was anyone else as confused as I am about Abby and Max being different people?

I started to answer in the negative, but then I realized I've watched the show so many times since it premiered. It's possible that when I was at the point of only having seen the pilot, I might have still had some of the teen girls mixed up.

(That said, Abby and Max have very different features and styles of dress.)

5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

A girl on the show kept wavering between saying Hunter was her twin

This, however, is something I've done a lot and seen other people do. Marcus is Max's twin (the Caucasian hot boy). Hunter is the Asian hot boy.

It's like they somehow gave the characters the wrong names. Even being an embarrassingly over-involved fan of this show, I still type Hunter when I mean Marcus and vice versa. 

Sara Waisglass, who plays Max, played a character on Degrassi (always comes back to Degrassi, lol) who has a brooding twin brother named Hunter. I wonder if that's leading to some of the confusion for some viewers?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Slade347 said:

Sara Waisglass, who plays Max, played a character on Degrassi (always comes back to Degrassi, lol) who has a brooding twin brother named Hunter. I wonder if that's leading to some of the confusion for some viewers?

(Could be for some, but I haven't ever seen any of the Degrassis.)

On 2/27/2021 at 1:37 AM, Check Sanity said:

I know Georgia played off setting up Austin's dad as a joke, but I don't think it was and that seems like a silly slip up to make. I think this  because of everything we saw Georgia do. However, the fact that her lawyer is the same old biker man from the flashback and he said something about "helping [their] own" makes me think she got in deep with that biker gang/crew. More than just with Ginny's father. She seems to have a crew for certain cons. 

He was, right?   I wasn’t sure at first.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:02 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have also not seen a Degrassi.  Felix Mallard looks and acts like a Hunter on this show, the "Bad Boy".  I guess that's what it is.

So I figured out a while back that Felix Mallard played a hot young Australian pop star on the sitcom "Happy Together".  Did anyone else watch this?  I liked it, it was cute.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So I figured out a while back that Felix Mallard played a hot young Australian pop star on the sitcom "Happy Together".  Did anyone else watch this?  I liked it, it was cute.

I didn't watch it but I remember the promos and that's totally why he looked familiar to me so thanks for this lol.

41 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't watch it but I remember the promos and that's totally why he looked familiar to me so thanks for this lol.

I rewatched a few episodes last night and I still liked it just as much.  Damon Wayans Jr. is so damn funny in it.  The show was cute, including Felix.  It was a shame they cancelled it.