Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Auditions, Part 2

• Start Topic

Was definitely not expecting that performance from the Viking guy, but he had a nice voice. Some pretty strong singers in the first hour in general, though I do wonder how the siblings will fare going forward, along with Hannah. She had an interesting voice, but her awkwardness might be an issue. 

I didn't see the second hour yet, 'cause we're flipping between that and another show, but we've DVR'd it, so I'll watch that back later. 

I liked Hannah.  I thought she really sounded like Cat Power.

And I liked the Hawaiian siblings.

And that's abouuuuuuuuut it.

I don't often complain about the judges by Luke's hyperbolic reactions to everyone are so annoying.  I wish they would stop declaring the winners during the auditions it's sooooooo annoying.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Listen- I'm not someone who knows everything about American Idol.  I don't think I've followed an entire season (except maybe when David Cook won), but it must be said that- for me- this episode was a major shark jump.

There were multiple contestants going through that just made me feel weird.  I get that some of these people have amazing stories and personality... but you don't let people through in a singing competition because they seem nice.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Maya said:

What was up with the country singer who looked like Katy perry? Was that an act? She was very strange. 

I did not hear whatever the judges were hearing. I wouldn’t listen to her sing for free on  the radio much less pay for her music. 

• Love 3

The 15 year old girl who did Motley Crue and Sarah Vaughn was really impressive. And this season she's got a chance to go far since her inexperience in front of audiences wont be a factor this season. Much the same for the red headed girl.

Hawaiian girl was interesting, not so much her big brother.

Big guy at the end has a big voice and should do well

• Love 8

First performer Amanda Mena, who I thought sounded great...already a winner. She won La Voz kids in 2014, and made it to the semifinals on season 13 of AGT in 2018. She's destined for the top 20.

I agree Ace is probably not ready yet, but I would take him over the crying Jesus guy. Also agree that Hawai'ian sister was better than her brother. This could however be the start of them as the new Billie and Finneas.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Azgard12 said:

Listen- I'm not someone who knows everything about American Idol.  I don't think I've followed an entire season (except maybe when David Cook won), but it must be said that- for me- this episode was a major shark jump.

There were multiple contestants going through that just made me feel weird.  I get that some of these people have amazing stories and personality... but you don't let people through in a singing competition because they seem nice.

Yes, Season 7 was the high point. But then as now, 90% (at least) of the people who 'go to Hollywood' are cut without our ever seeing them again. I supposed I should be ashamed of myself, but I read the spoilers* at this point to avoid getting attached to anyone who's doomed. *apparently, the spoilers I saw were fake, so there's really no info as yet

I would like to know the logic (if any) behind these feel-good saves. Why was terrible crying guy more sympathetic than mumbly Ace? I felt sorry for both of them.

The guy they saved for last certainly had a powerful voice, but 1) Diamonds is a boring song and 2) he sang the whole thing at the same deafening volume, which is even more boring. 

If Chayce grew a beard, he'd look just like Mutt from Schitt's Creek.

Edited by sempervivum
additional information
  • Love 3

While I found some choices last night questionable, I think we could build our top 5 out of that episode alone. There are at least three folks I've seen in the last 2 weeks who could win the show.

I'm still impressed by the level of talent Idol finds/attracts nearly 20 years after its inception.

Hoping we see more of these people, and that the format gives them a chance to connect and grow. A lot of great talent is unceremoniously cut to make room for these truncated seasons, and it really renders the talent they've found inconsequential. 

The judges are still hyperbolic in praise and far too nice, to the point that it just comes across as phony. While the cultural landscape doesn't really allow for it now, I still think you need a Simon Cowell on a panel to balance out Luke and Lionel. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 6

Katy was so condescending to the Latin pop star guy.  She kept making fun of his accent, and he understood every single time what she was doing, and it was so cringe-y.  

8 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

The judges are still hyperbolic in praise and far too nice, to the point that it just comes across as phony. While the cultural landscape doesn't really allow for it now, I still think you need a Simon Cowell on a panel to balance out Luke and Lionel. 

Exactly.  The show kept coaching the 15 year old to reiterate again and again that she had never performed before, and then Luke declares her the winner.  It's not fair to do that to a 15 year old and it makes me just roll my eyes at her which is not her fault.  

I disagree that "Diamonds" is a boring song, personally.  

Oh, and I forgot to say it:  Hannah looks like Alexis Bledel.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I am so sick of the back stories, I don't care.  Just sing well.    They could show so many more people if they'd stop that and have the judges stop trying so hard to be funny.

Crying guy was awful.  Latin guy, come on.

I'm not seeing much at all so far.

• Love 4

BTW, forgot to mention what a crock it was to put thru the Pitbull imitator. Dude sort of rapped, but didn't sing at all. They sent him along for comic relief and gyrations and not that he had any actual, you know...talent

• Love 2

Please, can we have a moratorium on "you're the dang winner" or "Best audition we've heard in years". I really, really enjoyed Casey Bishop (but please let her go the rock route a la Allison Iraheta from seasons gone by....that would be her lane whereas if she goes the classic blues "At Last" route she's going to be competing with 30 odd other females to try and stand out in Hollywood) but Luke didn't need to proclaim her the winner of her audition. No one needs that additional pressure.

I hope Willie doesn't lose sight of his weight loss/health journey. 420lbs is a lot better than 600...but he's still in a massive danger zone. Forget the Grammy for the time being and try to get yourself down in the high 200s first.

The guys have been wildly underwhelming so far. There's Willie, and I guess the Viking guy, and then the TikTok kid from the first week but that's about it. I was not impressed with Chayce at all, I'd much rather hear him sing the reggae-inflected stuff he apparently does with his band versus the flat, gravelly instrument he forced us to listen to last night.

So far we've heard 18 golden ticket winners. We've actually seen a 19th GT too (she was a very short haired brunette who sang just a tiny snippet of her original song in a quick montage of people doing there original songs).

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, KHenry14 said:

BTW, forgot to mention what a crock it was to put thru the Pitbull imitator. Dude sort of rapped, but didn't sing at all. They sent him along for comic relief and gyrations and not that he had any actual, you know...talent

Catching up now and agreed on this. Seriously, why? Even if he did have talent, his personality is...a lot. He's exhausting. 

I did like Katy saying he sounded like Cookie Monster, though. She ain't wrong. 

The best, in order of appearance:

---Olayan Siblings---A superb original song! Could be a hit now! Brother not as good as sister, though.

---Anthony Guzman--- "Viking"---Terrific "Cry Me a River." Lionel basically told him to ditch the schtick.

---Casey Bishop---TOP 3, baby! Save advice to enjoy Rock, but sing the Blues!

---Cassandra Coleman---24---Excellent!

---Big Willie Spence---Great voice, but "Diamonds" didn't show it best. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest:

---Amanda---Changed up Beatles song. Pretty good, but not special, IMO.

---Hanna---"Looks like Katy"---Good voice, but needs to perk up. Lionel warned her.

---Calvin ---"Ex-con"---He won't win, but maybe he can still get gigs.

---Yurisbel ---"Party, Si!" Fun! He went through?! ¡Ay, caramba!

---Chayce---WGWG. Do. Not. Like. Phil Phillips Re-Dux.

---Ace---Trans. Too quiet. Was a no. 

~~~~~~~~~~~  

I don't mind the back-stories. The audience can get a sense of the singers' musical authenticity, drive, performance polish or not. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

Phil Phil had a really unique voice for me.  Unique voice, unique way of moving, unique vocalizing.  I didn't think of the connection at all.

6 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Please, can we have a moratorium on "you're the dang winner" or "Best audition we've heard in years". 

OMg, the imitation is so spot on I can hear this in Luke's voice.  I am finding him sooooooooo annoying.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I don't mind the back-stories. The audience can get a sense of the singers' musical authenticity, drive, performance polish or not. 

I find when I fast forward through the back stories I'm just not as invested in the show. It's still enjoyable but I just don't really care about it. I do however fast forward the judges and I believe that is biggest reason I can even watch lol.

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Phil Phil had a really unique voice for me.  Unique voice, unique way of moving, unique vocalizing.  I didn't think of the connection at all.

Phillip Phillips is a clone of Dave Matthews imo. It was eerie how similar he was to DM. I agree though that the Chayce guy was nothing like PP.

• Love 2

Have not posted here for a while. I decided to skip the auditions this year and maybe the whole show. I might wait until the top 20 or so. 

The main question anyone here can answer is, "Are they still showing sob stories"?

If they are, then I might just fast forward them. In a way FF them might give me a "true sense" of the contestant. I think the sob stories are meant to influence the viewer, and many do vote because of the stories.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, escape said:

LOL, Chayce Beckham got a back handed complimented.  The writer did like him, but threw in this shade.

Once he sings, it’s as if Phillip Phillips decided he needed a new record deal, got a new name, and auditioned once again.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2021/02/21/tv-recap-american-idol-season-19-episode-2/

Does anyone watch Name that Tune (coincidentally also featuring Randy Jackson, who is every bit as annoying he was on idol)? Chayce looks very similar to one of the backup singers on that show, it was bugging me while I was watching his audition, and now I'm watching Name that Tune and realized who It was.

I keep waiting for someone to reveal that the 15 year old who claims to have only sung in the shower has a record deal in her past or something. Whenever the show pushes the "true amateur" label too hard, I always cynically assume it's a complete fabrication.

Also, when she talked about picking up her brush and singing into it, my first thought was "you own a brush??" That hair needs some serious help. But again, too many years of watching this show has made me so cynical that the messy hair seemed like a choice, tailor made for that "look where she started and look at her now" montage, a la Katherine McPhee or Kelly Clarkson.

• Love 3

The main question anyone here can answer is, "Are they still showing sob stories"?

If they are, then I might just fast forward them.

I've found this to be a very enjoyable way to watch the show.  It also saves time.

(A lot of people have "tough roads" right now, and I hope each of them finds a path to happiness, but that doesn't make someone qualified.  That said, I know other people like the backstories, and the only way to do it "both ways" would be to put the sob stories on the web site.  Until then, I'm FF'ding, but maybe it's a cunning plan to sell more remote control batteries.

(Note to the Washington Post, who once didn't realize that I was kidding in a forum just like this...that last line was a "joak", or attempt at irony.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Teen girl that sang Motley Crue was absolutely PHENOMINAL! Holy crap, that girl can sing. The fact that she's 15 and has that sort of control is awesome. She should make Final 5 at least.

Viking guy has talent. I'm not sure why he decided to do a comedy schtick but hopefully he's done waving Thor's hammer around.

Hawaiian siblings: The girl can really sing. The brother is nothing really. They wrote a catchy song together, but his vocals sound like the kid who finishes third in the school talent show. I guess we just wanted to put them through together because....story?

Latin Luke: Seemingly nice guy. Wouldn't care to grab a beer with him but putting him through is insulting to the people with actual talent. He sounded awful.

Crying guy at the end? I'm not sure what was so mind blowing about him. He sounded good (better than many others who have been pushed through), but outside of his sob story, he just sounded like another Idol hopeful. Reuben Studdard wannabe.

Ex con-Awesome story of redemption, think he's got a solid voice. Won't win, but I could see him turning this into something with some songs and some motivational speaking events. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think the Hawaiian brother is bad at all.  To me he sounds like Bieber and other male pop stars of today.  Sure, his sister was more interesting but maybe he could work on it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1