Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Requiems & Revivals

jewel21
  • Start Topic

As Nic struggles with her recovery, a close friend and former Chastain colleague returns to the hospital to support her. As the hospital transitions from private to public, the search begins for a new CEO, Bell asks a favor of his step-son. Devon sees an opportunity to fix the system.

Airdate: 02/16/2021

I like the step-son and I'm glad that he'll be the new plastic surgeon. However---when we first learned about him, didn't Bell think that Jake was a down-and-out musician or something, then Jake told him he was actually a surgeon? So how is it that now Bell is telling the staff that his step-son reattached hands four years ago in Guatemala?

Not a fan of Billie so far. 

Yay for Voss being the CEO!

No mention of Cain at all. 

• Love 1

Voss for Boss! 

The timeline on this show is ridiculous. Two weeks ago they were sold, a week ago they were closing and this week they're re-opened and public. I know it's apparently two weeks later based on Nic's timeline but the whole story has given me whiplash.

• Love 8

I’m sure once Bell found out that his stepson had a different last name he stalked him online and saw all the surgeries he did.

I don’t mind the Cain storyline because I liked him last week so it was jarring he wasn’t in today’s episode.

Yay Kit! So happy she’s the CEO.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Kit Voss becomes CEO because she's a woman with balls, crashed a board meeting, and has absolutely ZERO credentials for the job. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Kit Voss as CEO? Yes, please. I am thrilled that she got the job. I mean, since we got hammered in the head that the doctors would be running the hospital, I guess it beats ANOTHER bureaucratic storyline where some hot shot CEO swoops in and does evil, nefarious things that the doctors must take him down for. At least Kit becoming CEO and needing to struggle through that is SOMETHING different.

The Conrad/Billie conflict was weird. I feel like Conrad basically refused to listen to Billie at any point except the end. I mean, yeah, she obviously did a crappy thing but she was willing to set aside their conflict for Nic and he just wasn't able to. I don't mind Billie. She kind of got stuck in the relentless apologizing for her actions role. I wonder how their relationship will be going forward, especially with Nic's recovery.

Good on Devon for taking the time to properly diagnose the old man's condition. But I'm glad it's leading to them changing how they run the ER.

Bell having his former stepson working at this hospital? Predictable. I'm sure him and Jake won't have ANY issues going forward.

No Mina this episode, and I don't think we even had AJ.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

and I don't think we even had AJ.

AJ was involved in the hands transplant storyline.  

I LOATHED Billie from the moment she pulled up in her car like she owned the damn place.  And nothing this episode did changed that.  I laughed when AJ told her that her car was now parked in the impound lot... serves her right.   I am hoping she's not going to be a regular but I have a feeling she will be which sucks.  

• Love 11

I also don’t like Billie (I don’t think we are) but I could see her butting heads with Devon a lot if she stays on. Since Cain is currently trached in a vent farm there needs to be someone testing people on this show. Jessica Lucas is gorgeous, by the way. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

I thought so but I don't think he did a whole lot in the episode, since that storyline centered more about Bell and his stepson.

1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

I LOATHED Billie from the moment she pulled up in her car like she owned the damn place.  And nothing this episode did changed that.  I laughed when AJ told her that her car was now parked in the impound lot... serves her right.   I am hoping she's not going to be a regular but I have a feeling she will be which sucks.  

Honestly, Billie has a lot of flaws but she's slightly better than a lot of the other characters they've introduced over the years. She seems like she still may be one of the more mild anti-heroes. Remember that AJ also sucked when he first showed up. Maybe I'm just used to it from this show by now. Plus, I gotta admit, despite the fact that Conrad has been obviously under a great deal of stress, I didn't love the way he was talking to Billie. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I loathed her too when she pulled up in her car.  Acting like a first class bitch was totally unnecessary.  Maybe I could deal with her being a regular, but I'll be truly pissed if they make her and Devon an item.  He deserves better.  Please don't, show.  

• Love 9

I also hated Billie because of the way she acted in the parking lot. It also doesn't make sense that Nic would be so attached to her. Of course it's for the drama and conflict, but it's not at all true to Nic's character, that she would be so super close to someone whom Conrad hates. Plus she killed a patient and has an unbearable attitude, except with Nic. Doesn't ring true. 

I agree that it looks like a setup for Devon and her to fall in love. Yech. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I have a feeling Billie is going to end up finishing her residency at Chastain. They made a point of saying she needed to find one, and Chastain has a doctor shortage. Plus, she has built in conflict with almost everyone, so that is a plus for the writers.

I didn't like her when she pulled her car in, but she seemed okay in other scenes. 

• Love 6

I wasn't around for season 1 so all I know of Billie is from this episode.

I thought that she was genuinely sorry for what had transpired before and kept trying to  make amends to Conrad 2ho refused tohear her out. With whether Nic should be awake or asleep during the procedure, she was advocating for what Nic wanted, not trying to make a medical call. She should not have had to apologize to Conrad for that.

Even in the opening car scene I found her less abrasive than Mina although rather over the top (I certainly wouldn't give my car to a stranger to park),

• Love 1

I'm sure Billie was genuinely sorry for what she did to that patient (also sorry that she got fired), but the way she acted with Devon showed exactly who she is:  an entitled bitch.  I don't know what her race/ethnicity is supposed to be, but she acted xenophobic, like Devon was beneath her when she tossed him her keys.  When people show you who they are, believe them.    

• Love 3
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I wasn't around for season 1 so all I know of Billie is from this episode.

She wasn't in season 1, all the backstory about killing a patient happened pre-show (and was likely just invented by the writers recently).

• Useful 5
  • Love 6

I think that the things I found most offensive about Billie's introduction was the implication that "pulling bullets out of babies" in Syria for three years was a penance, which I put entirely on the writers, and that she is most likely Devon's love interest.

Is there a cross-racial relationship on this show? I don't like the idea that everyone is only allowed to be with someone like them.

I can see Cain tossing his car keys to someone in a "I don't have time for this, if you want it fixed do it yourself " kind of way. I see the same arrogance in Mina although not so overtly.

Devon got Billie's car impounded. He definitely won that encounter.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I can see Cain tossing his car keys to someone in a "I don't have time for this, if you want it fixed do it yourself " kind of way. I see the same arrogance in Mina although not so overtly.

Mina has always come across to me as confident in her abilities, not arrogant. She'll stand up for herself, but also eager to listen to and learn from those who are stronger than she is.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Billie looked at Devon and acted like she didn't think he even deserved to be in the doctor's parking space, and I don't see Mina or Cain doing that.  I'm curious to know why Nic is friends with her.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Is there a cross-racial relationship on this show? I don't like the idea that everyone is only allowed to be with someone like them.

Wasn’t Devon’s prior love interest (before the Princess) a drug rep who was Caucasian? Kit’s ex husband is black....and I think that’s it. I do appreciate this show for having such a diverse cast. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I notice the diversity so much in the title card. It is great to see.

I know that we never met Billie before, but have we even heard of her? 

No, never. Pretty sure they made her up. I hated her after that interaction with Devon. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 10:41 AM, hula-la said:

Mina has always come across to me as confident in her abilities, not arrogant. She'll stand up for herself, but also eager to listen to and learn from those who are stronger than she is.

Yes. I really admire Mina. I can easily see her telling someone off, but tossing her car keys at them? No.

• Love 5
On 2/19/2021 at 12:00 PM, Crashcourse said:

Billie looked at Devon and acted like she didn't think he even deserved to be in the doctor's parking space, and I don't see Mina or Cain doing that.  I'm curious to know why Nic is friends with her.   

What especially bugged me in that scene was that she thought she deserved the space because she’s a doctor... but the clear implication was “doctors who work here”, which she was not.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 6

The timeline is very weird.

-Announcement Chastain will be closed
-Interim period in which presumably all personnel would be looking for other employment (although few of the main cast seemed to have put thought into it before last week's episode)
-Shutdown begins/continues though last episode
-Announcement that Chastain will become a public hospital
-Re-opening phase, crappy replacement equipment purchased, etc, two weeks pass
-This episode: plastic surgeon (and many others who don't want to work for a public-hospital salary) leave

Why did he or any of the others ever come back? Wouldn't he have been on the way to that new job probably before the last day of the old Chastain?

On 2/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Kit Voss as CEO? Yes, please. I am thrilled that she got the job. I mean, since we got hammered in the head that the doctors would be running the hospital, I guess it beats ANOTHER bureaucratic storyline where some hot shot CEO swoops in and does evil, nefarious things that the doctors must take him down for. At least Kit becoming CEO and needing to struggle through that is SOMETHING different.

Yes, same, both because she's always been a fun character for me and seeing someone with unambiguously good intent still having to make sometimes harsh decisions  or determine the lesser of two evils is more nuanced and interesting then yet another mustache-twirling caricature.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:07 AM, CarpeFelis said:

What especially bugged me in that scene was that she thought she deserved the space because she’s a doctor... but the clear implication was “doctors who work here”, which she was not.

Yeah - what? I thought the outcome was going to be that she was a new hire, ergo had a perfect right to park there. She may be a doctor but she wasn't coming to Chastain in that capacity (yet). Seemed like it was setting the viewer up to be against her (which, yes, is their favored method for introducing new characters), but then she spent most of the rest of the episode determinedly choking down humble pie.

• Love 1

I'm a new watcher as I've binge watched the past 2 weeks.  I'm almost up to date. 

Does it bother anyone else that Cain is where he is?  I know about him sending patients there etc. but he's awake when most of them are not.  It seems like they put him in the corner and left him there.  P.S.  I don't like him at all but that's scary.

Also I've had a crush on Dr. Bell since Season 1.  I also love his friendship with Kit.  I'm so gad they turned him around.  I am also a big fan of AJ and Mina.  Conrad and Nic are so annoying.  I also love Devon most of the time.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Does it bother anyone else that Cain is where he is?  I know about him sending patients there etc. but he's awake when most of them are not.  It seems like they put him in the corner and left him there.  P.S.  I don't like him at all but that's scary.

My personal explanation is that they made the arrangements to send Cain to the vent farm while he was still unconscious and because of how quickly everything happened, there wasn't time to make new arrangements before the hospital "closed." I assume now that he's awake, he'll be moving himself somewhere swanky or arranging for a transport to his house and arranging homecare. I got the sense he woke up on that last day. As long as they don't show us him back at the vent farm, I can accept it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This episode felt like one big long trail of exposition with saccharine lines thrown in about how wonderful the main cast members and how selfless they are for their patients. Vomit. 

Billies introduction was obnoxious but I found myself rooting for her just because of how fucking insufferable the rest of them have become. 

• Love 1